GliderCENTRAL

Weight loss

Posted By: Kris

Weight loss - 01/17/19 10:44 AM

One of my male gliders feels like he has lost a significant amount of weight. He was always a little chunky. He is more active than he has ever been. Mocha is 7 years old. Is this normal or could this be a problem. I switched their diet from dancing waters to critter love complete about 6 months ago
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Weight loss - 01/17/19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kris
One of my male gliders feels like he has lost a significant amount of weight. He was always a little chunky. He is more active than he has ever been. Mocha is 7 years old. Is this normal or could this be a problem. I switched their diet from dancing waters to critter love complete about 6 months ago

How long has it been since they had a well check? I would first make sure there is nothing to be concerned about by having a well check at your vet.

It could be that simply going from one diet to another has given him a boost of energy and allowed him to exercise more than he did before accounting for the weight loss.

Reeps Diet/Dancing Waters has been around for a very long time, and was first formulated for a specific glider thus it's name. I don't know if/how it may have been modified over the years, so there may be more in than a well glider requires dunno
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Weight loss - 01/17/19 03:11 PM

Dancing waters diet? Do you have a link to that one? I know that Teresa (Dancing) had made up a diet called Reeps diet for her SICK gliders but did not know she changed the name of the diet plan. Wondering if she also changed the ingredients. Would love to take a look.

Secondly, you stated your glider that has lost weight was always 'chunky'. Since putting him on a balanced diet, such as Critter Love®, it is normal he would lose the extra weight that should not be on him. Much like if we went from eating junk food all the time to eating a healthy diet.

It is good to hear he is more active.

Re: Weight loss - 01/18/19 10:54 AM

Yes it was reeps, but you can’t find it anymore on the web. The gliders liked it, but I switched because critter love was on the list as a good diet, or popular diet among glider owners.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Weight loss - 01/18/19 03:02 PM

I think you will find your little one will have more energy and get down to a healthier weight now. Not saying Reeps isn't good for sick gliders, however, you little one isn't sick.

Look forward to hearing more reports.

Re: Weight loss - 01/18/19 11:02 PM

Taking all 6 for wellness check this week, cost of a cage. Lol. I want to make sure he doesn’t have a parasite. One thing I didn’t mention is that I have a cage of two and cage of 4. Mocha is in the cage of 4 but he loves the other gliders. I moved him back and forth for awhile, but it didn’t help the situation, so he is with his original pac. I think he misses the others. After I come back from vacation I’m going to try to get them all together again.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL