GliderCENTRAL

Not yet neutered!

Posted By: Claralice

Not yet neutered! - 04/08/18 02:29 AM

So many decisions. I am planning on neutering but just not yet. I will, just fearful somehow something will happen and overall they are so sweet. Of course, well aware that may not last with two males but still, I procrastinate!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/08/18 02:40 PM

What questions do you have?

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/08/18 03:32 PM

Kimberly, I just worry they wont survive. That they will bite that area leading to internal injuries. I have read up and mostly I read it is relatively safe but there are those few that do not end well.
Bottom line, I just am not sure how to know mine are in trouble. I know about the sound, watching the site of the surgery, I have cones, I bought separate travel carriers-in case. I am just super concerned mine will be "the ones."

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/08/18 07:13 PM

I have had so many neutered and have never had a problem. They go right back in with their buddies.

My recommendations are:

1. Discuss the procedure with your vet.

2. Ask that they not shave them for the procedure.

3. If the vet is doing a pom off neuter ask that he cuts or lasers it off at least 1/8 inch above their belly. (That way there isn't a hole, which I have seen if they are done too close to the belly.)

4. No stitches or glue.

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/08/18 07:45 PM

Okay, thanks Kimberley!
I think I will go in and talk to him. I want it done and I keep putting it off.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/09/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Claralice
Kimberly, I just worry they wont survive. That they will bite that area leading to internal injuries. I have read up and mostly I read it is relatively safe but there are those few that do not end well.
Bottom line, I just am not sure how to know mine are in trouble. I know about the sound, watching the site of the surgery, I have cones, I bought separate travel carriers-in case. I am just super concerned mine will be "the ones."

Kimberly has given you some great advice and good things to ask the vet prior to neutering. If you aren't comfortable with the answers you get from the vet, then perhaps another vet might be the answer.

I never had a problem with any of my neuters eventhough mine were done different than Kim's and many years ago. Mine were not shaved, and they were put back with their family right away.

Remember, animals will pick up on your stress level, so it is important for you not to think about all the worst possible things that could go wrong because chances are everything is going to be just fine.

The majority of neuters go off without a hitch, but people talk more about the few that don't. It's just human nature to talk about those. Like talking about a bad car accident rather than slow morning traffic. Back in the day when I had my boys done, pain meds were given right after surgery but nothing more. E-collars weren't even recommended.

Relax momma wink
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/10/18 01:54 AM

Kim and Karen are right. As long as you have a good vet, just have faith.

Have faith. Good luck, just breathe, and take the jump.

Oh and keep us posted. smile

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/11/18 03:39 AM

Setting up appointments! Decided to just get it done. Spoke to the tech as the vet is seems always super busy and I felt much better after that!
Found two females that are leucistic and I do not want babies and all the hassle that goes with gliders with scents and girls and...
Anyway, gettin' er done!

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/11/18 05:09 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/11/18 09:57 AM

That is awesome!!! I think you're more than ready.

Congrats!!!!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Not yet neutered! - 04/11/18 01:53 PM

Congratulations clap
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL