GliderCENTRAL

Freak accident in well known cage

Posted By: Anonymous

Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:01 PM

I purchased the Q16 cage off Ebay for one of my pairs. I know that many people have that cage or one similar. I did my research, got the proper bar spacing and still a freak accident occured.

Yesterday morning I found my beloved Bella hanging in her cage. Somehow she managed to get her head between 2 of the bars and was unable to get free. I assumed she was dead but when I went to remove her, she started writhing.

Unfortunately, her injuries were extensive and she had to be put to sleep.

I'm not sharing this to start an epidemic of fear. Rather I wanted you all to know that even in the right cage, with all the precautions we can take, freak accidents can occur.

**EVEN AS AN ADULT, BELLA WAS A SMALLER GLIDER!** Her mom never made it over 75g.
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:03 PM

Do you have a link to the cage? I just want to take a look at it...

I am so sorry to hear of your tragedy.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:05 PM

Providing link for reference. If inappropriate please remove. If anyone has a "safe" lnk, please provide.

Q16 B glider cage
Posted By: Kara

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:10 PM

oh my. i am so sorry for your loss. i am in the process of redoing my cage because the bar spacings are too wide. i am doing mine 1/4" x 1/4"

thank you for alerting all of us.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:10 PM

Thank you for providing the link for reference...
I was looking to see if I could find anything that wasn't up to the recommended standards, but everything seems like it should've been just perfect.

It's heartbreaking to hear of the accident. It doesn't seem that there was anything that could've been done to prevent the tragedy though.

ETA: Perhaps the bar spacing should be even smaller, maybe... I am looking for a new cage, and hearing of this tragedy, I can't help but be fearful.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:15 PM

Yes, I did lots of research into cages prior to deciding. Also, as of when I purchased it, it was to all specs that are deemed safe. I also talked to many people with this exact cage or the double breeding cage.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:22 PM

OMG - I'm so sorry - and unfortunately it was a freak accident -

Again my condolences

Sue
owned by

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:25 PM

I do not think that you did a single thing wrong. I do thank you for sharing your story though, difficult as it must be. It will make us all aware that accidents can and do occur.. also that some things are just beyond our control.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:29 PM

hug2 Brittney, I am so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you. hug2

Glide Free Bella, you will always be in your mommy's heart.
:rbridge:
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 09:59 PM

Ohhh!!!! Hon! I'm so sorry!!! cry :rbridge:

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:20 PM

upsetOh, my gosh, Brittney! This is so awful! I am so sad to read this. My condolences to you.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:25 PM

I am so sorry that this has happened! We just never know when something like this will happen....an obviously tragic accident!

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:37 PM

Oh Brittney, that's terrible. cry I'm so sorry for your loss, hun. God speed little one.
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:46 PM

I don't think this is a freak accident.. as I am currently glidersitting some gliders with Joeys, they have the same cage,at 5 weeks oop, I found one of the joeys in the bottom (in the pan) thinking one of the kids were playing with him, I placed him back later that evening her was on the outside of the cage.. I started looking for broken bars, large gaps, door openings etc.. Nothing... the next night, after all the kids were in bed, I checked on them, all of them in the cage.. 2 hours later he was out again.. I checked the bottom wire, by pressing my thumb through them, sure enough the bars moved easily apart.. so I went to the workshop, and got some plastic landware, by the time I got back from the workshop he was out again. I placed it on the bottom of the cage, and zip tied it. well a couple of hours later he was out again,

in the middle of the night we had to do a massive cage swap.

now I don't think it is the spacing on these cages as much as the strength of the bars.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:46 PM

I am so very sorry, Brittney. hug2

This does bring up a good discussion point. When I first got involved with gliders, people used to say that cages with vertical bars were not safe because some gliders could get hurt. If the spacing is kept at 1 x 1/2 inch or smaller, they may be less likely to get caught in it. BUT, I know many people have been using vertical cage bars for years without any problems and it had become accepted as safe. dunno

I am just so sorry that this has happened to your girl, there is just no way to know that something like this would happen. hug2

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:50 PM

I am quite nervous now about picking out my new cage, as I will be doing so over the internet...

very scary to think of the possibility of such injuries occuring!
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 10:53 PM

Im sorry for your loss .

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 11:12 PM

hug2 So sorry to hear about your loss! hug2

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 11:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear this! Thank you for being brave enough to post for all to read, so all of us can be reminded to check everything in our cages and the cages themselves every day!

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 11:49 PM

To ALL that want a SAFE cage that can be bought in different sizes and styles or even CUSTOM made,you need to visit this website. . . . .

Cageworks.com

I would be beside myself should I lose one of my "baby girls" in this manner and I can only imagine your grief. My thoughts and prayers be with you.

Greatestgrammie

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 11:52 PM

B- Good point!

When I first got the cage Bella kept escapting but Blanco never did so I chalked it up to her being smaller. So, I wrapped the WHOLE cage in 1/2"x1/2" landware and she never got out again. I NEVER thought to cover the "landings" and ramps too...

Perhaps we should investigate the bar strength.
Posted By: oakley

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/15/09 11:57 PM

Bourbon has a great point. Many cages have the right bar spacing, but the bars themselves are very flexible. I thought my first glider, Pepito, was Houdini when he kept getting out until I realized that I could fit two fingers between the bars without much effort. I now have two K&D Exotics cages and I LOVE THEM! The PVC coated wire is not only in squares, which prevent the problem of weak wire, but is also pretty strong so I doubt any glider could bend it if they tries.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:04 AM

Brittney,

I am so very sorry to hear that you had to make that difficult decision to help little Bella over the Rainbow Bridge because of her injuries.

May your memories of her comfort you in the days to come.

Glide Free little Bella :rbridge:

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:16 AM

I am confused about cageworks.com. I was told that it was owned by someone similar (if not the same) as the people at PPP? Is that true?

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:17 AM

Does K&D Exotics have a website?
Posted By: Janie

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:25 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:30 AM

Let's all keep one thing in perspective.... This is the first accidental death related to a situation like this... Yes, we have many escape artists from many different cages but it doesn't mean everyone needs to freak out and replace every cage. I have had PPP cages, repts, flights and this one.

We knew that this cage had an escape issue with the pull out floor leaving a gap. Most of us securely fastened that and it wasn't a problem anymore...

I guess I'm not losing my mind because I know I did all the right things and nothing could have stopped this...
Posted By: oakley

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:30 AM

Well, I know they used to, but their web-page seems to have been taken down.

They use a wire like klubertanz (or it might be klubertanz) to make their cages.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:32 AM

Oh yes, I agree that we all don't need to be replacing our cages. My cage, one from PPP, is too small for my gliders to use for a permanent home and that is why I am searching for a new one. I am looking for one that, ideally, has the bars crossed (small squares) like the small PPP cage, just because I am confident that my gliders wouldn't be able to escape.

I have cats, so making my cage as escape proof as possible is a high priority.
Posted By: Karin

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:35 AM

K & D are no longer selling cages.

Karin

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:37 AM

Ah, what a shame...

Now to find another cage source with good quality/escape proof cages.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:45 AM

I also do wish that this wouldn't have happened to you. the pain is unbearable, I know. along time ago, one of my girls got a puncture wound,it was not a fite wound, it was as a pin had gone thru her left arm, rite past her elbow & into the glider part. after quite some time had gone by, we were finally able to find out what had happened. one of the bars was loose, & I think she tried getting out, & got herself snagged on it. Larry fixed it, & we thought that was going to be the end of our troubles. NO!!!
cosmos & combara escaped one day,& we didn't know it. i came home from work @ 9:30pm, sat & visited w/Larry, then got up to get the kids their meal for the nite, & skeeter, our cat, was proudly displaying her 'find' of the day.
this was both the kids. combara was gone, but cosmos hung on all the way to about 6am. he stayed on Larry's chest all nite on the couch. he must have had internal injuries, because had no outward injuries. Larry found what had happened. another 'wire' from the cage was loose, & it could be bent back, & they must have followed each other out sometime after Larry left for work. I saw & heard nothing, as i was upstairs, & when i came down, i didn't check the pouches, I just scurried around, & went out to do my errand & such. i was SO grieved over this, I was really a basket case, & started throwing up. I had never experienced that before. i stayed the rest of the week in bed, not getting up to do anything but keep watch on my 2 girls. i kept them w/me in my bed during the day, & we put the second cage out of the house & the girls are only in the first cage we bought for our gliders, from suncoast, & these bars are the rite kind to have for gliders.
the bad cage had predominately vertical bars, real thin. we put the 2 cages together, the new one was a foot taller, so we wanted to have that as a playroom, & the original cage was to be the bedroom & dinning room for them. we were able to get the 2 together real easy, as both cages matched up w/some kind of opening door to be able to use both cages.
i will NEVER use that cage again. maybe I'll put some plants in it, or something. or, i will just throw it away, i don't ever want it in my house again. thin wire cages I would think would be the culprit, as it made it wider(easier) for them to get out. & the older girls, thank god, must have been too big to get out, or didn't realize they were gone. we really do need to keep the thickness of the bars into the equation when we buy cages.
josefine
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:50 AM

cry How very heartbreaking. I am so very sorry for your loss Brittney cry
gangel :rbridge: gangel
Glide free little Bella.
Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ
Posted By: josefine

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 12:53 AM

we got our first cage from Lisa & 'Arnold' @ suncoast. it is pretty big, & the bars are little squares, & they are thick,also.
talk @ ya L8R

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 01:46 AM

I am so sorry this happened. It breaks my heart.. frown
Could you please tell me where she got caught?? I have this cage and I'm about ready to have an anxiety attack over it!! Did it happen in one of the ladders? I have my ladders covered with petscreen beacause I was afraid thay would fall through them but if it was the outside bars and I need to get a new cage I will....
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 02:02 AM

Brittney, I am so very sorry this has happened to your little girl. My condolences to you and many hugs also.
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 02:53 AM

So sorry for your loss hug2
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 11:08 AM

Oh Brittney, I'm so very sorry about Bella cry
My heart, thoughts & prayers are with you hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: jen102375

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 02:01 PM

I have this cage with 2 of my gliders that are on the small side in it. Thank you for your post. My boy is always trying to squeeze his head through the bars now, I am getting him a rep. I am so sorry for your loss. Your post probably just saved my baby.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 04:16 PM

I am so sorry for your loss
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 05:11 PM

Since Brittney hasn't been online recently & to relieve your anxieties, I'll answer your question CalamityAnnie:

Apparently these were wire "ladders", the very thing that you say is now covered with petscreen. Frankly, I don't trust wire ladders in ANY form and would remove them completely. Who's to say that they couldn't/wouldn't chew a little hole in that screen? You think you have the problem solved....only to find that you were fatally wrong? No, thanks--my opinion is to remove them completely, game over.

If your gliders need a way to get from bottom of cage to top, either a braided fleece rope or 1" diameter nylon cord would be a much safer alternative.

And yes, it is VERY difficult to tell over the internet if the bars in a cage would have a dangerous flexing factor...from my experiences in prior purchases, the Suncoast cages are well worth the extra $$ spent for the strength of the bars (compared to Exel's flight cages, which are flimsy and the weld spots tend to break after time).
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 05:17 PM

this is just heartbreaking.
i just went over every bar on my 2 cages, i got them at
suncoast and the bars dont seem to be flexible at all.
i guess we all learn from others tragic accidents.
i am so sorry abt. your loss.

take care,
nancy in detroit

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 05:21 PM

Thank you for the recommendation on Suncoast cages! I am planning to purchase the Sturdy Cage soon, but I've had multiple people recommend the Excel cages, too. It's nice to see a review that compares them both.

I feel confident now that the Suncoast cage will be safe for my gliders.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 05:24 PM

I'm really so very sorry for the loss of your little one.

I have 9 of these cages and have not had any problems with them at all. I only use the ladders in a couple of my cages and I made tight fitting sleeves to go over them because the gliders seemed to be unsure of the spacing on them. (they have a layer of denim and a layer of fleece on the top side of the ladder and a layer of fleece on the underside)

The spacing of the cage bars is appropriate for gliders and is the same spacing as the Excel cages or the Sturdy cages. I don't think it is time for the other owners of these cages to panic and start replacing their cages.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 09:40 PM

I am so very sorry this happened to you!! HUGS

I have that cage and checked it a dozen times now. I used my fingers (4) to try and seperate the bars, my fingers will not go past my knuckle no matter how hard I tried.

I then checked and measured it against my HQ Suncoast cage I got from Lisa 6 years ago, the bars are IDENTICAL in type, size and spacing. They are made exactly the same way.

Minka, you mentioned ladders. Mine did not come with the ladders. Did the accident happen on a ladder OR was it due to the bars of the cage? I am confused.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 10:01 PM

Ok, the cage from Ebay did come with 2 ladders. The bar spacing is larger on these "ramps". I only used one and no one ever seemed to have a problem. They really enjoyed hanging from them. Somehow she *slipped?* and the vet said her neck swelled, lodging her tightly between the bars. I don't know how else to describe it. I didn't take any pics.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 10:25 PM

Brittney, that was a tragic accident sweetie. Most of us wouldn't have known about the ladders either.

Thank you for clearing this up. That cage is made by the same company and is also an HQ cage. We had (still have one in there) 2 of our rescue kids so the ladders were never put in, instead, hubby built shelves, thus the reason no ladders in our cage. HOWEVER, my Excel cage DID have the ladder in it that I just found has 1" spacing! My gliders have been in it for 3 years but I just literally ripped the ladder out! It will NEVER be used again.

I know this is of absolutely no help in your grief right now, BUT, Bella did not go to the rainbow bridge in vain. I believe everything happens for a reason, I am so sorry this happened to her. Bella most likely has saved many many gliders from the same accident happening to them. We will get the word out everywhere about this and PLEASE everyone, if you have a glider site, put a warning up on your site about the cage ladders!!!

God speed precious Bella, you will always be remembered in our hearts!

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/16/09 10:26 PM

so it was the ladder she got her head stuck in? I myself have a flight cage similar construction as the one u have, but with two doors instead of one big and it too comes with two ladder with wide spacing. my glider dolce is pretty slim and would jump-through them sometimes, gabbana does it a bit too, but neither got stuck yet...knock-on wood. i do noticed the bars of the cage, though, do expand a bit when assembling some thick baby links or wood sticks.
sorry for the loss of your little bella.
Posted By: TammyLynn

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/17/09 03:11 PM

I'm so sorry about Bella Brittney.

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/18/09 01:30 AM

Thank you all for your kind words. It has been really hard on me because Bella left behind her amazing mate Blanco, my sweet leu. Blanco is the coolest glider I have ever met. But, he is very needy for human and glider companionship. Unfortunately I am in no position to provide him with another glider companion. Luckily, I called Denise/Minkasmom and she came down Sunday afternoon and picked up my sweet baby. She has a pair that seems to have the perfect personality for Blanco. He won't have to be single too long and that is what is most important.

As for Blanco and his demeanor... If any of you EVER get the chance to own an SSdreamsicles/Melissa Cowles glider, you will NOT be disappointed. She gave me the best gift when I bought Blanco from her and I will miss his little fuzz butt incredibly. No one that has met him can believe how cool he is. I miss ya buddy but Auntie Denise will take amazing care of you...
Posted By: Sheila

Re: Freak accident in well known cage - 11/18/09 05:45 AM

I am sorry Brittney.
I would agree Dancing with you about these cages. I have one myself and many breeders use them. There are two little doors up at the top on the sides. Perhaps that is where the babies Bourbon has are getting out.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL