GliderCENTRAL

Check your cage wires!

Posted By: Janie

Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 12:47 AM

To say I am furious is an understatement. 2 of my 3 gliders are injured. These cages are JUNK!!!!

Yes the worst failure is where the stealth is mounted HOWEVER there are other broken wires that had NO weight on them and many others that appear to be LOOSE. I just want everyone to be aware if you have this kind of cage and to check your wires before more gliders get hurt.

http://www.bird.com/item/aviantelligence-tall-flight-bird-cage/502915/
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 12:57 AM

Yikes! I don't have that cage, nor is my wheel mounted to the cage wires, but I do check it all over (and do the "cotton ball" test) often.

That shouldn't be happening to your cage. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

How are your gliders? I hope they are OK. hug2
Posted By: flutterbye

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:00 AM

Mine did the same thing with the same wheel....

do be careful!!
Posted By: JanetGlider

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:21 AM

I have not had any real issues and have 6 of the Avianintelligence tall flight cages. But yes, it pays to be careful and always check things over.

I don't use the side mount Stealth wheels partially for that reason.
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:39 AM

I have 2 of those cages and the same thing happened to both of mine. Needless to say, I won't buy those again.

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:45 AM

My gliders will be ok they are on antibiotics for the cuts. I am beyond discusted with the quality of these cages. Even if you want to say maybe the wheel is to heavy, that STILL does not explain the numerous other broken bars that had no weight on them....

I really just wanted to make sure people were aware and checking the wires so other gliders dont get hurt.
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:48 AM

What's the amount of time you've been using these cages or are they still pretty new?

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 01:53 AM

9 months
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:03 AM

Yes, it has to be the cage. I've had HQ cages and side mounted stealths for two years and never had that problem. I'd say if you're going for a wire cage, go for the HQ brand.

I'm so sorry, Janie. How scary. I'm so glad this didn't turn out worse. hug2
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:17 AM

Janie, I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. I'm glad they will be ok! hug2 hug2

Thanks for letting everyone know about those cages. It's obvious that the quality is not where it should be. I would definitely notify the place you ordered them for some type of refund. (I wouldn't accept a replacement of the same cage.) Maybe they can give you credit to a better cage (or pay your vet bill!).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:29 AM

I don't have this cage, but was wondering what is the cotton ball test?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:39 AM

The cotton ball test is where you run a cotton ball over every surface, toy, etc. of your cage. If the cotton gets caught, it's not safe for your glider! If the cotton ball can get caught, its very possible your glider can get seriously injured.

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:42 AM

Thanks! Thats's good to know.
Posted By: victoriarose1982

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:57 AM

Im sorry Jane!!!
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 02:58 AM

That's so horrible that your babies got hurt! I hope it's nothing serious... stupid cages.

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 06:04 AM

frown

Hope the babies get better soon.

Them paying the vet costs and/or something towards a GOOD cage would be nice. Let's hope you get compensated somehow and to some decent extent.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 09:59 AM

I am sorry this happened to your babies. hug2 Thank you for letting everyone know.

Re: Check your cage wires! - 10/26/10 04:12 PM

My boys are doing better this morning. Thank you everyone. hug2

I am going to contact Bird.com but I highly doubt they will care. Atleast I tried to get the word out so others can keep an eye out for similar issues and maybe my gliders will be the last hurt this way.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL