GliderCENTRAL

Can we add an unneutered male?

Posted By: Crispy_Mister

Can we add an unneutered male? - 09/22/19 10:37 PM

We have a male and female, 2 1/2 years old brother and sister, brother is neutered. Is it possible to add an unneutered male?

Re: Can we add an unneutered male? - 09/24/19 07:54 AM

I guess no one knows the answer this question. If anyone else is wondering about it, I found some info after googling it, and everything I found (which wasn’t a lot) said that it’s not only ok, but it’s the ideal group. So now we know. smile
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Can we add an unneutered male? - 09/24/19 08:57 AM

Sorry no one answered your question last night, but I have a concern. Do you plan on breeding?

How old is the unneutered male?

Re: Can we add an unneutered male? - 09/29/19 04:32 PM

Yes I plan on breeding. I don’t have a particular male yet
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Can we add an unneutered male? - 09/30/19 03:43 AM

Hi, glad you are here on the site. I see you plan to breed. I dont know a lot about breeding but based on my research; I was too nervous to choose to do so. I hope you read up on it and make the best educated decision before you buy your male. IMO, there is a lot of wonder in having tiny gliders but the rest-too much for me. I decided the risk and benefit were not best for me.
Good luck and if I can give one word for advice, "Research" for their health and happiness.
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Can we add an unneutered male? - 10/31/19 01:53 AM

Yeah, I am not an expert on breeding. It is doable though. I would try to get all three introduced and make sure they are getting along before breeding. If he mates but the two males are fighting it may not go well. Hard to tell when she is in hear. One word of warning is that unneutered males have a much stronger smell than neutered males (or females) and are often more aggressive. If all three get along there is a good chance they will all pitch in to raise the kids. Read up a lot though before you decide to go for breeding. I would also neuter dad once the joeys are mostly independent. In captivity most breeding pairs are kept alone to avoid colony squabbles. If you plan to have a pair of joeys and keep them all as a colony neutering dad and any male joeys should hopefully keep the colony stable.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL