GliderCENTRAL

Bonding tips for a newbie?

Posted By: CuratorXethia

Bonding tips for a newbie? - 07/18/19 03:58 AM

So I rescued a lil baby (Meeko) ealier this year from a home that didn't have the time or energy to deal with him. The home he came from let him run around like a free range chicken with 2 young children; the kids are good with animals and they certainly weren't cruel to him, except maybe the mom's ex, but his social interaction with people was limited to crawling on their beds at night. They tell me i'm the first person Meeko ever let hold him starting at 1 year old. At that time, even though he didn't bite me, he was crabbing whenever I so much as looked at him and always trying to get away. Since then, I've learned that he is mightily food motivated and used that to my advantage, getting to the point where he'll even crawl up onto my hand and shoulders to get a bite of snack. Whenever I try bonding with him in a pouch, though, he's still a crabby little squirm monster. I feel like I've been making a lot of progress and am not afraid to put in some time for the cute little terd. I don't think he's ever bonded to anything yet, especially not the people who had him previously so I have that working in my favor. But it feels like my progress with him as of late has more or less plateaued. My end goal is something along the lines of a small shoulder glider that will calmly chill in my hoodie pockets. Anyone got any tips for bonding further with this maniac? or do you guys think i'm just doomed lol?

TLDR; what are some good tips for bonding with an almost 2 year old glider I got as a rescue?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Bonding tips for a newbie? - 07/18/19 12:03 PM

First, is he neutered?

I'm still trying to wake up, but is he a single glider?

Having a glider free range is risky. And difficult to manage. Especially when bonding. They have an issue with focusing on you when they have the whole other world explore. If you have him caged, he may need time to grow accustomed to it. Does he have a glider safe wheel? ( Wheels click on blue word)

Only 2 of my 3 tolerate a bonding pouch.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Bonding tips for a newbie? - 07/18/19 01:44 PM

Your road may be a little more challenging because the previous owners let him roam free and now he will have boundaries. Compare this to a toddler who had no rules and now you want to put some in place :willy: Trust me, for the safety of your glider, he must have boundaries. Before I found the internet (back in the dark ages wink ), my first glider was allowed to roam free, and it did end tragically for him.

At the top of this forum are two good articles on Bonding:

Into the Bonding Pit

Building a Relationahip with your Glider
Posted By: CuratorXethia

Re: Bonding tips for a newbie? - 07/18/19 03:30 PM

So I have no idea if he's neutered or even how to check. More than likely not. Secondly he is a single glider, and I try to give him plenty of attention to counteract that because I don't want him getting depressed. He does have a glider safe wheel that I keep outside his cage, and a small one that he seems to prefer that's inside his cage. I've gotten him used to being more cage bound, but while I'm home I still let him run around and every once in a blue moon I'll pick up the house and let him run free for the night. Often times while he's running around the dining room (where his cage is) I'll sit on the floor and he's happy to crawl up on me and play. Especially when honey is involved. He really enjoys running around on his own and I don't wanna deprive him of that entirely. Especially because I think he's made a friend of my cat.

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
First, is he neutered?

I'm still trying to wake up, but is he a single glider?

Having a glider free range is risky. And difficult to manage. Especially when bonding. They have an issue with focusing on you when they have the whole other world explore. If you have him caged, he may need time to grow accustomed to it. Does he have a glider safe wheel? ( Wheels click on blue word)

Only 2 of my 3 tolerate a bonding pouch.

© 2024 GliderCENTRAL