GliderCENTRAL

Hi I'm new to sugar gliders

Posted By: Krausegliders

Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/09/18 02:29 PM

Hi guys I'm new to sugar gliders, I was just wondering how I can train my sugar gliders to come when called and usually how fast the bonding process goes.
Thanks,
Michael
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/09/18 03:05 PM

:welcomegc:

Much like our human toddlers, gliders have minds of their own. Usually they cannot be trained to do much of anything they really don't want to do rofl

That being said, after a while they may trick you into thinking they are responding to their name, however, they may really be running to you because they have learned you have goodies/treats :lol: One thing you will find is they are smarter than we give them credit agree Afterall, they are smart enough to train US :roflmao:

As for how long the bonding process takes, well that depends on many things, especially the glider. It will take as long as the glider wants it to take. Some bond quickly and others take much longer.

I am going to move your thread to our Bonding & Relations Forum. In the meantime you will find this, Into The Bonding Pit, very helpful.

Please ask any and all questions you may have.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/09/18 06:43 PM

Hi! And

:welcome2: to Glider Central!

Mine know their names, but live to ignore me. They even cop an additude when I get them wrong.

I started teaching mine with a treat. Calling them by name and giving a treat. They are 4 years old and only come to me when they are loose if I have a treat, or they are tired and want to go to bed. Otherwise, I get ignored.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/09/18 06:53 PM

The bonding process depends on many different things. Mostly the glider, but also how well you work with them. Also over handling can be a problem.

Training. I have dried or live mealworms in a small Tupperware container. Give it a shake. Even scarface who stays in cage during playtime and spends much of time in sleeping pouch and will run away if I try to pick her up. WELL... for the sound of the shaking mealworm container scarface will come to the edge of the cage, wanting a mealworm. she may even put a few feet on my hand. The other 5 gliders will climb all over me for a mealie.

If you substitute in a noise from you mouth every time you give them a mealworm, like maybe a clicking sound, I'm sure they will soon learn to come to you for the clicking sounds, a mealie in trade would be a good idea too.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/10/18 04:43 AM

Hi Michael,

Glad you found us here. How are the two doing.

Just so everyone knows Michael adopted two gliders from the Wisconsin Sugar Glider Sanctuary & Rescue Sunday.

Told him to come here for help.

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/10/18 11:13 AM

I am curious about one of those dog clicker/trainer things.

What do you guys think?

Dot sometimes needs to be re-focused.

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/10/18 11:41 AM

I forgot to ask, how old are your gliders?
Posted By: Krausegliders

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/10/18 04:42 PM

My two gliders are doing great they are already taking treats out of my hand and this morning I put them in the tent to play with them but they were a little scared which I thought would happen, I have them in the bonding pouch now and hopefully we can get a good bond going soon
Michael,

Angel
Bullet
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hi I'm new to sugar gliders - 07/10/18 11:19 PM

Your doing good Michael, be patient.

Maya Spozie uses a clicker to work with her gliders on gliding. It is something to try. The clicker is the bridge between the finished job and the treat. So when they do something good you give them the instant reward of a click and then follow up with a treat.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL