GliderCENTRAL

Sugar glider wheel

Posted By: Dfr06

Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 12:25 PM

I am planning on getting 2 sugar gliders in January and found this wheel online and was wondering if it was good. It is 25 cm

Attached picture E50FC320-51B4-4FE3-8817-BFBDCA45A5F4.jpeg
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 01:30 PM

Hi! And welcome to Glider Central!

I wonder if Indonesia has other types of wheels available. This reminds me a lot of a woddent wheel. I personally won't use them.

Do you happen to have a closer picture? Maybe a picture of it attached to a cage to see how much clearance there is between the wheel and cage wall?

One other thing is it has an axle or bar in the middle. Gliders like to jump in a wheel more than run. The bar keeps them from jumping.

This one will need to be cleaned daily as they potty and poo as they run too. It will eventually smell bad and get sticky and the center bar or axel could catch their patagium.

If you look at the wheels here:

http://www.spinzoneglobal.com

You will see pictures of safe wheels and how they play in them.

I hope this was helpful.

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 02:27 PM

I looked and the only ok one I found was 20 cm diameter, would it be ok?

Attached picture 153892376133042_7b07c77c-00e8-4b9c-9f47-303a45062b0c.png
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 02:33 PM

20 cm is about 7.87 in here which is a very small wheel. That would be used for a hamster or mouse but really too small for a sugar glider.

I agree the first one you posted is really not safe for gliders.

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 02:59 PM

I found a 30 cm wooden wheel made for hedgehogs, would it work?

Attached picture wheel.jpg
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 03:07 PM

The size is much better as well as the construction. The only thing that might be a concern is the 'wood', however, hedgehogs are notorious for pooping in their wheel when the run just as gliders do. So, if it is coated with something to keep the wood from absorbing any poop/pee then it should be okay.

Again check to see how much space is between the wheel and the cage if it attaches to the cage. If it is free standing, then you might want to anchor it to the cage floor. Just looked back, and I see it is free standing with apparently no way to anchor. Should be okay.

You will still need to clean regularly just as you would any wheel.

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/11/18 03:45 PM

Thanks, I will probably get this wheel as I can’t find anything better.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/12/18 12:45 AM

Here is what I found, not sure where your located, but maybe you can get this.
https://shopee.com.my/Freedom-Wheel...%E8%B7%91%E8%BC%AA-i.83091401.1727795927
Posted By: Paani

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/12/18 03:26 AM

My latest adoptee came with a Freedom Wheel and I am really impressed with it. It spins quite freely and looks very easy to clean; unlike the Stealth or Raptor or other wheels made from plastic bin lids, there are no crevices for "stuff" to lodge in. AtticWorx has TrimTrax kits for it and the new mount kit just hangs off the crossbars or mesh of the cage. It's great!

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/12/18 06:42 AM

I don’t think they ship to Indonesia but I could check. As well the wheel is really expensive. Do you think it’s worth it?
Posted By: Paani

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/12/18 06:48 PM

I don't see why they couldn't ship to Indonesia. It'll certainly be more expensive than domestic but it's easily enough to do. I definitely think the Freedom Wheel is worth it. Very impressed with the design and construction.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sugar glider wheel - 12/13/18 02:17 AM

If your going to spend the money and get something shipped to you from the US, I would go with a wheel from http://www.spinzoneglobal.com/Wheels_c_101.html
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL