GliderCENTRAL

bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop?

Posted By: Zaarae

bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 12/30/15 06:45 PM

My husband and I are starting the process of welcoming a couple gliders to our family. I like the bonding pouches in cute fabrics however he doesn't like the idea of carrying a "purse" hmmph men. So I got the idea of a pull over hoodie with the pouch pocket adapted into a bonding pouch. Expand it make a "floor" line with fleece add a zipper and window ect. I was just curious has this been tried and was it a flop? Or does anyone have any tips or concerns I should think about. Also what size do pouches tend to be.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 12/30/15 09:05 PM

Yes there have been adaptations of sweat shirts, t-shirts and hoodies to add zippered pouches.

If you are handy the easy way is to add zippers to the hand warmer pockets found on many sweatshirts or hoodies.

Paulette is one vendor if you want to buy one ready made:

http://pkmsboutique.weebly.com/tee-shirts-and-hoodies.html
Posted By: Zaarae

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 12/30/15 09:06 PM

Thank you for your reponse i will probably end up buying from her bit id like to try myself bit i am not good at sewing lol.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 12/30/15 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Zaarae
Thank you for your reponse i will probably end up buying from her bit id like to try myself bit i am not good at sewing lol.

Do you mean on this board? It is better suited to our Housing & Accessories Forum. I will move it there now.
Posted By: Cathayvet

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 12/31/15 11:55 PM

What about one of those sweatshirts that have a holder, pouch for a beer? I bet a glider would fit in there.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/01/16 05:06 PM

Might work, however, most people prefer something with a zipper closure to make sure the glider is secure when needed. I doubt the sweatshirt with the beer holder has that.

Posted By: Cathayvet

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/01/16 11:56 PM

I just bought one on eBay without sleeves. Easy enough to install velcro or snaps for the diy challenged. And they will eventually love the hood. Can't wait to get mine.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/02/16 01:35 AM

Velcro is not recommended for Sugar Gliders - their nails can get snagged in the plush side of the velcro as easily as the little hooks on the other side that holds the two together.

You may find snaps difficult to open and close with a squirming glider helping you. They would also need to be placed close together to prevent gliders from getting out between the snaps.

Zippers are best if you can add one.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/02/16 02:05 AM

Definitely a zipper. One of the issues with them getting snagged, even under direct supervision, they tend to panic if you try to help them, especially young ones. Most do not like to be held, so when a hand comes toward them, they squirm harder.

Snaps can be a hazard as well as they try to help. Might squish a finger.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/02/16 02:52 PM

I got a tee shirt, got my wife to sew together a piece of fleece and tee shirt to make a pouch then sewed that pouch onto my tee shirt for a tee bonding shirt. Works great, just finding it after I lose it had been the hard part, wish I had more then one,
Posted By: rdobbie23

Re: bonding sweatshirt? awesome or a flop? - 01/11/16 05:20 PM

I use to buy the kids sized back backs and sew in a fleece lining. No one looked at Danny funny cause we always had kids in tow. LOL
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL