GliderCENTRAL

No ears

Posted By: fuzzbuttsmommy

No ears - 05/12/11 11:11 AM

I am getting my new baby in the end of June.... her mom chewed her ears off. Does anyone know if she will have hearing that is normal?

Attached picture Echo  17 days  oop    5-3-2011 (3).jpg
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:22 AM

I would think so, she looks so sweet!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:30 AM

Shell be just fine! Just extra adorable! She is so cute! You're getting a real doll! Lucky you!
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:32 AM

I really don't think it will affect her hearing. The only thing that will be affected is that you won't be able to see when her ears are droopy. Gliders fold their ears back when they are scared, when they are sleeping to block out noise and also when they are ill.

Do you know how and when mom did this?

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:51 AM

She was between a week and 2 weeks oop. The breeder said it was mom and dads way of saying they were done being good parents. She is having dad neutered. She is my DREAM BABY. smile I think having no ears gives her more personality. I was going to name her Radar but it sounds to masculine, so I am naming her.....Echo

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:53 AM

She is beautiful. All the more reason to do as she pleases, sorry mom, what's that, didn't hear. grin

And Echo is the perfect name!
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:58 AM

omg stop it roflmao

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 12:01 PM

You know she will take full advantage and she will most probably get away with it too, right? roflmao

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 12:02 PM

I just cant wait to get her home. She will fit in perfectly here. I always have liked animals with physical abnormalitys. I think it gives them character.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 04:22 PM

I don't think you will see any noticeable effect to her hearing. I have seen a few different gliders now that were either born without or through some accident don't have the outer part of their ears and they seem to all be just fine.

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 04:35 PM

she looks like a little polar bear. So cute smile
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Gizmogirl
She is beautiful. All the more reason to do as she pleases, sorry mom, what's that, didn't hear. grin

LOL! Love the name too!!!
Posted By: Faerie

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 05:17 PM

She is just precious! And the name is perfect!
Posted By: Markysmommy713

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 05:34 PM

Just adorable!

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 05:55 PM

All the more reason to do as she pleases, sorry mom, what's that, didn't hear. grin

TOO funny! And yes.. PERFECT name!
Posted By: ciara_lynn

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 06:04 PM

Ha so true! Echo is perfect because how many times will you have to repeat it before she does what you say?! roflmao She is soooooooo adorable though!!!
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 08:29 PM

I have a glider, VanGogh, that is missing an ear and several fingers. After seeing two vets, it was assumed that momma must have been an overzealous groomer. I had daddy neutered and decided to neuter VanGogh and keep him as well.

He gets around fine despite his handicap. He actually uses that hand more than I ever thought he would. I do keep extra hammocks in his cage just in case he might lose grip and fall.

His hearing is fine. He is a healthy, active glider. heart

Here he is as a young joey and you can see his hand.

Here is the missing ear as a joey. I thought it just hadn't popped out yet. I look back at it now and it seems so obvious that it's missing.

This is him at about six months old.

Here is at around one year old.

And here he is at three years old.

Good luck with Echo! I almost named my leu Echo when I got her. roflmao Great name!

I'm sure she will be just fine despite her unique appearance. mlove

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 08:48 PM

He is adorable !!!! Even if she is deaf....I WILL LOVE HER. We all have our inperfections and Disabilities. I hope to make her a bra baby so she wont be spending much time alone till shes old enough and big enough to be with her older cagemates to be. This is going to be the LONGEST MONTH AND A HALF waiting for her to be old enough to come home. I CANT WAIT .
Posted By: rosiethunder

Re: No ears - 05/12/11 11:11 PM

I also have a glider (Hugh) with only one ear . His colony attacked him when he was younger (he was the "runt" of a set of twins) . He doesnt like other gliders since then , but he can definately hear . In fact, hes the only glider I one hundred percent know he knows his name . I can be in their room talking to the others or my boyfriend or whatever, but as soon as I say "Hugh" he pops his little one-eared head right out .I swear I think the ear he has is extra big too =P
He'll be a happy healthy guy Im sure . Just be sure to get used to all of his mannerisms since you wont be able to tell if he has droopy ears , so keep an eye out for any unusual behaviors .
Posted By: CourtJester

Re: No ears - 05/13/11 01:47 AM

HOW STINKIN' CUTE. She looks just like a tiny polar bear! Also, I love the one eared gliders name, VanGogh, haha.
Posted By: bbjoeys

Re: No ears - 05/13/11 09:45 PM

adorable!

Re: No ears - 05/13/11 11:07 PM

The one ear glider named VanGogh had me in stitches! What a perfect name! Love it! (I'm an art dork) and Echo is adorable! Good luck! It'll be worth it all in the end smile
Posted By: vhenke11

Re: No ears - 05/14/11 12:02 AM

To cute
Posted By: Kryssidog

Re: No ears - 05/14/11 02:12 AM

Just toooo cute!!
Posted By: rdobbie23

Re: No ears - 09/28/12 04:29 PM

Echo is adorable! Can't wait to see more pictures!
Posted By: Johannasgliders

Re: No ears - 09/28/12 06:10 PM

This is Bella. He was attacked when he was a baby. He's rather shy but, hears very well.

Posted By: ssuver

Re: No ears - 09/30/12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: jessica_dube89
she looks like a little polar bear. So cute smile

She does! and I love her name. Such a sweetie
Posted By: Angellica

Re: No ears - 10/05/12 09:00 PM

She is just so cute!
Posted By: tab

Re: No ears - 10/05/12 09:34 PM

awh such a cutie! I wanna put her in my pocket and run lol
Posted By: Paisley

Re: No ears - 03/20/13 02:53 AM

She is seriously cute, ears or no ears!
Posted By: Donetta

Re: No ears - 03/22/13 01:21 PM

Just so adorable....I have a female who had both her ears chewed off by her mom when she was a joey..She does great and has no hearing trouble at all unless she wants to that is.
Posted By: norton33

Re: No ears - 03/22/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Donetta
Just so adorable....I have a female who had both her ears chewed off by her mom when she was a joey..She does great and has no hearing trouble at all unless she wants to that is.

Lol! Ears or not, they are all excellent selective listeners.

Echo is adorable.
Posted By: SugarPaws

Re: No ears - 04/10/13 01:39 AM

Aww poor baby! Absolutely beautiful though! smile
Posted By: vintageinez

Re: No ears - 04/18/13 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: norton33

Lol! Ears or not, they are all excellent selective listeners.

Echo is adorable.

Haha, isn't that the truth! I'm thinking that, if there was no damage to the inner ear, Echo should be able to hear just fine. People who are missing ears from accidents can still hear so long as their eardrum isn't damaged. I imagine gliders wouldn't be much different.
Posted By: Susan__71

Re: No ears - 04/26/13 01:19 AM

What a cutie! Echo is a great name grin
Posted By: MiniWidget

Re: No ears - 09/04/13 05:33 AM

How is she doing? I know it's been a long time since you posted this, but I thought it would be cool to know how she has progressed. :>)
Posted By: Chase_

Re: No ears - 08/19/14 10:44 PM

How is she?
Posted By: Kesha

Re: No ears - 08/25/14 11:43 PM

Awh, poor joey. I'm glad she's still able to hear. I've noticed sometimes my male glider will pull on the joeys ears when he wants them to move away from the fruit. It seems like the older the joeys get the more he does this. I think it's showing them he's the dominant glider. I would imagine my male glider is saying, "Step aside, this is my food".
Posted By: jujula

Re: No ears - 10/18/14 09:11 PM

she is so cute! how is she?
Posted By: ChatTAHOOchee

Re: No ears - 11/28/14 02:06 AM

OMG NO EARS????? First I read a post about disappearing tongues and now ears being gnawed off????? I just can't imagine Tahoo losing a limb!!!!!! Tahoo over grooms my boyfriend and gets very saucy with her tugging. She gnaws on his ears! Should I be concerned for my boyfriend's ears?! She removed a mole once! Can they digest moles?!?! Sounds ridiculous but I swear it's true!!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL