GliderCENTRAL

Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite?

Posted By: sugarlope

Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/15/10 03:19 AM

Time for another question...I have seen arguments for both sides of this, that the moon cannot possibly have any kind of effect on them and that indeed it does.

What are your experiences? Do you think that the moon phases have an effect on sugar glider behaviors, appetites, dispositions? Why do you think it would/does or would not/does not have any effect? dunno
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/15/10 02:15 PM

My gliders are little piggys....except for 2-3 nights a month. Those nights, they barely touch their food. Those are full moon nights. Why? I have no idea but I know ER's dread full moons!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/15/10 02:25 PM

And so do jails. The 3 days before, the day of and 3 days after.

My gliders are less active, eat less and are vocal the day before, the day of and the day after the full moon. It does not matter if it is a clear sky or cloudy.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/15/10 03:31 PM

I have never noticed, but will keep track of if from now on I think. they (who ever "they" are how did they get so smart and how do I get on that team LOL) say the moon affects human moods. but I dont see any change in MY behavior (unless you count that wolf face I get and the urge to rip human faces off) just kidding

on a serious note....i really will keep a log of it because I notice they have nights they eat almost nothing and others they gobble it up, and its not the dinners.
Posted By: sweetbabies

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/17/10 08:45 PM

I am sure that it does. I have logged it myself. I wrote a post a while back about gliders acting abnormally and noticed prior and during that time the difference in moon phases. There were many many others that had gliders doing the same.
Posted By: sketchyglider

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/17/10 09:59 PM

I have the same thing go on that Leigh does. My gliders are super spazoids for about 2-3 days, and the night of the full moon is insane. It looks like a tornado blew through their cages.
I think they get like that because they are nocturnal and somewhere in them is still wild habits... i think that the moon phase is imbedded in them, because if i dont know its a full moon my gliders will certainly tell me

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 05/18/10 12:48 AM

My gliders mostly my girls I.e Stella will bark like mad on a full moon and my guys hardly touch the food in the food dishes, I personally think because they are such a sensitive animal as it is Moon phases do affect them.

~Erich
Posted By: USMom

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 09/04/10 02:54 AM

We used to have a full moon post that we'd pull up in one of the sections monthly. I have a theory about the behavior change, which is heightened alert, not eating as much. My theory is that during the full moon, in the wild, there is a lot more light at night, making them more visible to predators. They don't eat as much, and alert a lot more. Our gliders are tame, but not domesticated, so still retain this "wild" behavior. It's a form of protection.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 09/04/10 04:44 AM

i was told some time ago that a change in barometric pressure will also effect their mood, behavior, & appetite.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 09/04/10 01:20 PM

To be honest, I've not paid attention up to this point but I will going forward. I think it would be interesting for several of us to keep a log and report our "findings".

(JillMarie...I want to be one of those smart ones, too! roflmao)
Posted By: suggie_mom2

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/07/11 07:29 PM

This is a really interesting topic. I'm going to keep a log as well when the moon phases change as well. I seem to recall that Gizmo barks a LOT more a few days in a row. I wonder if those days fell on Full Moon days.

Oh! and FYI, police hate Full Moons as well. =D I did a ride along on a full moon and it was pure pandemonium. The officer said it was like that every full moon.
Posted By: Rubym

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/08/11 12:52 AM

My daycre kids get nut during the full moon. I would sy if it affects humans, dogs, cats then y not gliders???? My geckos r also more active during the full moon phase
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/11/11 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: suggie_mom2
This is a really interesting topic. I'm going to keep a log as well when the moon phases change as well. I seem to recall that Gizmo barks a LOT more a few days in a row. I wonder if those days fell on Full Moon days.

Oh! and FYI, police hate Full Moons as well. =D I did a ride along on a full moon and it was pure pandemonium. The officer said it was like that every full moon.
That is because sugar gliders are part werewolf in disguise.

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/26/11 09:55 PM

It's actually funny; I used to be pretty "spiritual" in the sense that I held a lot of stock in the weight of full/new moons and their psychological effects on people.

I was supported in my assumptions in that I -- ahem -- as a female, experienced a lot of health changes during a full moon, even having my "time of the month" triggered three to four days early if a full moon hit. It still happens!

So it stands to reason that if a lot of human women actually do experience a physical influence from the full moon, a tiny little being like a glider (who has better instincts) might actually have reason to react!

Though I'd also say the "extra light" theory holds some weight. It's a very interesting topic!

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/26/11 04:25 AM

Hmmm, Arietta has only really barked on 2 occasions. I thought nothing of it, but after reading this I checked, and they were BOTH on the full moon! Crazy!
Posted By: SGQ

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/27/11 01:14 AM

I have never made the connection between moon phases and glider behavior until this most recent full moon. I had happened to notice that it was the day before the full moon and that night and the following night both cages (in different rooms~ 3 gliders total) slowed down in eating and activity.

I'm closely monitoring events around eating habits~ because I do notice some nights here or there very little food is touched.

~ I also think the light theory Shawna mentioned sounds pretty reasonable.~
Posted By: Dallie

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/27/11 02:24 AM

All (4) of our gliders react to the full moon. Eating slows down and barking increases! Usually the night before full moon. When I first got them their behavior changed so dramatically on the full moon that I called the person I got the gliders from to make sure nothing was wrong and their behavior was normal.

Oh the things we learn from these little suggies!!!

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/29/11 12:11 AM

On the nights of a full moon, I don't have to use earplugs - and usually don't, just to make sure they're okay.
(Fortunately/unfortunately, my babies are currently my roomies.)

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/30/11 05:11 AM

I haven't kept track but it sounds like fun! I will keep a close watch over the next few moons!
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/30/11 06:29 PM

I never paid much attention... but now that I have ALL 5 of the girls with joeys IP at the same stage... I looked back and there was a full moon right about the time they would have all been mating (feb 18th)... so I'm starting to wonder...
Posted By: dewbug91

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/31/11 08:13 PM

http://www.livescience.com/7899-moon-myths-truth-lunar-effects.html
We did a study is Psychology on this and we found no effect. smile
Posted By: SugarGliderLove

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 04/01/11 03:10 PM

it makes me wounder about the phases cause about a month or so ago i dont know which glider it was but one of them was barking for like 5 mins or more stright. i think it was around the time of the full moon.
Posted By: USMom

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 04/04/11 08:05 PM

Dewbug, that refers to humans, and statistical behavior in humans. Animals do react differently, particularly wild animals, which our gliders are. Animals react to storms, moon cycles and seasonal changes, whether in the wild or captivity. It is hard wired in their brains to do so. They are vulnerable to these changes, and take pains to prepare for them, and deal with them. I used to track my gliders behavior, and it was different with storms, and full moon. I don't track it any longer, but think it would be interesting if we all did, just to compare.
Posted By: tlkngfethrs1

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 04/07/11 05:01 PM

Oh yeah all of mine act out of their "normal" around the full moon..
my calm sweet ones are spaz balls, and the spazs are sweet cuddle bugs..lol..
all eat less, and so on..
LOL.. my first full moon (many moons ago roflmao )
I called Minkasmom, as I thought something was way wrong with my baby!!
Posted By: KaliKatka

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/15/11 05:56 AM

Oh thank goodness, I thought my girls were losing their furry little minds because they were acting so strangly tonight. I had to have some emergency tent time because they were franticly clawing to get out of their normally beloved pouch, and even then they were spazzing the entire time. Later one got lose by uncharacteristically escaping her pouch while ignoring a proffered nut (which she has never turned down), and made a flying leap right at my face! It occured to me that tonights moon was full or nearly full and Im glad to see mine are not the only werepsychos.
Posted By: ShazMom

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/15/11 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980
My gliders are little piggys....except for 2-3 nights a month. Those nights, they barely touch their food. Those are full moon nights. Why? I have no idea but I know ER's dread full moons!

NO DOUBT!
LOL! I am at work in an ER right now and the past 2 nights were CRAZY! That is why they call people LUNA-tics ya know! LOL! My cats go nuts around a full moon and my boys are more subdued. That's my 2 cents! LOL!

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/15/11 07:25 PM

I don't know about gliders, but I know that the nursery in hospitals always expect more deliveries on nights with a full moon. More babies are born during a full moon for some reason...

Strange...
Posted By: steph323

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/16/11 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: ShazMom
Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980

NO DOUBT!
LOL! I am at work in an ER right now and the past 2 nights were CRAZY! That is why they call people LUNA-tics ya know! LOL! My cats go nuts around a full moon and my boys are more subdued. That's my 2 cents! LOL!

roflmao lunatic!
Posted By: Teresa56

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/16/11 12:39 PM

It makes sense to me that if I were a small animal that had to live in the tops of trees to survive because I am pry to just about anything since I am so small that I would be less active when there is any brite light.I hunt at nite for a reason but when the moon is full other creatures can easily see me so I am not going to hunt much during a full moon. My gliders will stop dead in their tracks if I turn on my bed room lite at nite.
Posted By: steph323

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/17/11 08:32 AM

I dont think its about the light. my gliders room was completely dark no matter the moon phase and the would act different during the day too.... I have all the lights in my room on and the gliders are in their cage in here now and they are acting completely normal
Posted By: SGQ

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/17/11 04:27 PM

Ya know~ I do think the light theory holds some credibility.

But I also know the moon affects a lot of things. For instance the moon effects the waves in the ocean~
And simialr to ER's dreading the full moon~ my MIL works in a group home and they always have more behavior incidents on a full moon.
I would bet there is a good scientific explanation for the moon phases effecting behavior.

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/18/11 01:07 AM

I work in a nursing home and was DELIGHTED that my three day weekend was this weekend since it's a full moon. I swear to you that working in a nursing home during a full moon is HORRID.

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 07/19/11 02:23 AM

Something to look into! I haven't ever kept track.
Posted By: LuuLuu

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 09/26/11 03:48 AM

Mine went NUTS last month. It was about 3 am and I wanted to play with them a little and holy cow they were bouncing all over the place acting like maniacs! Actually, I posted it on here, and that is when people started mentioning that, on that night, there was a full moon
Posted By: ssuver

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 09/26/11 02:30 PM

I have not noticed anything, but then again. I have not been looking for anything. Interesting thought though.
Posted By: Dean

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 12/16/11 08:09 PM

I don't notice much of a change in their food intake during a full moon but I have noticed that they bark a lot more during a full moon.
Posted By: sitkasmom

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 12/16/11 10:06 PM

Mine get weird on full moons... They are "friskier" than usual. Their appetites kinda die down.

I think it might have something to do with the gravitational changes during the full moon...

If the full moon causes so many changes, i.e. waves, tides, wind, weather, why wouldnt it affect animals (including humans)?

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/30/12 05:28 PM

You know I made a post someone like this a couple years ago.... My personal experience with my gliders is that they tend to act differently with different phases. When it's a full moon they are more agitated! They bark constantly through the night . They don't eat as much etc. after I made my original post I kept track for about a yr and going back over all the info of changes on their behavior , eating habits and what not . It's defenatly the same pattern with moon phases!! But this is my own personal experience so I can not speak for any one else's gliders :-)
Posted By: SecretSquirrel

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/30/12 05:42 PM

I think I'm going to start a Glider behavior - Moon phase journal and see the different attitudes and eating behaviors... Sounds like a fun "science project". . .

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/30/12 11:37 PM

Yeah I kept track and did the journal for about a year, then after I went over it is when I new for sure the differences in my gliders behavior to the phases of the moon. But like I said that's my own personal experience !!!
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/31/12 12:41 AM

also keep track of what they do when there is a storm coming in adverse weather etc.. "atmospheric changes

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 01/31/12 01:04 AM

Bourbon I agree. Anytime there's big changes in weather I notice their behavior changes as well!! I've always thought animals could sense things like that and I reall really notice it with my furbutts!!!!
Posted By: ihana1894

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 02/03/12 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Megs
I work in a nursing home and was DELIGHTED that my three day weekend was this weekend since it's a full moon. I swear to you that working in a nursing home during a full moon is HORRID.

My mother worked on the dementia floor at the nursing home and she always new when there was a full moon because everyone acted so strange. But if you really think of it, the moon controls the waters on this earth. Humans are made of 75% water, there is no doubt that the moon has an effect on us when its most powerful during a full moon. Instead of cause a little gravitational pull on the "tides" in our body it exerts a little more during its full moon phase and this difference may not be noticed by ourselves but others notice it.
Posted By: Erica08

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 02/03/12 02:20 AM

I've always noticed a decrease in food intake. Though I'm also noticing that they are more agitated. My one breeding pair gets extremely grouchy, and the last few days they have been acting up and I think it's because the full moon is close.

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/05/12 06:09 PM

Wow, I won't lie. I have pasted by this forum topic many times, because I've never been a believe in these things for myself let alone gliders. But looking at all this when my lil loves get to come home I will be logging these things.

This is so facinating!!!

I can't wait for the next full moon, haha.
smile
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/06/12 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MeganAnn
Wow, I won't lie. I have pasted by this forum topic many times, because I've never been a believe in these things for myself let alone gliders. But looking at all this when my lil loves get to come home I will be logging these things.

This is so facinating!!!

I can't wait for the next full moon, haha.
smile

Keep an eye on the Portal Page. There is a moon there that shows the phase.

Re: Does moon phase effect mood/behavior/appetite? - 03/21/12 09:43 PM

Keep an eye on the Portal Page. There is a moon there that shows the phase.[/quote]

Tonight in Malaysia here is New Moon...
However my sugar gliders got the all the "symptoms" stated - 1 has been barking non-stop since 1 AM (now is 5.40 AM), the other 20 in the room in different cages are quiet and alert; but occasionally 1 or 2 more will join in with the solo. They ate their meal last night (HPW) at 7 PM, but most (except the gluttony ones) did not touch their food (Fruits + Vegetables). When I approach the cage, instead of coming to me, they run and jump like crazy.
I have experienced this situation during full moons occasionally but this is the first one occurring during a New Moon phase. ><
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL