GliderCENTRAL

Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction?

Posted By: Anonymous

Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 05:17 AM

I've read some posts where it is said that you shouldn't run the ionizer on your air purifier. Is this dangerous for gliders? Fact or fiction....

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 05:35 AM

It can be. They say right on the ionizer "Do not leave children or elderly alone with this purifier for extended amounts of time" in the instructions. KINDA scary. I won't leave my dogs or gliders alone with it, but I have one. I keep it on low and NEVER use the "clean" setting.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 05:52 AM

I can tell you we had to get rid of ours. It gave me the most horrific headaches I'd ever had. My hubby started having nose bleeds and dizziness. It was due to the ionizer so to be safe, we got rid of the entire unit. No way would I turn one of those on in an area with gliders after what we went through.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 08:20 AM

Some of them put out a fair amount of ozone. While manufacturers say that it is not significant enough to be harmful (in most cases) there are many people, myself included that are highly sensitive to it and the ionizers can cause a lot of physical problems for us. I had to send my ionizer/purifier back because it triggered horrible migraines for me, made me super dizzy AND my dog started throwing up a lot and showing other signs of dizziness/nausea while it was on (that all stopped after we turned it off). While he always tended to be more sensitive to things around him than most, we have no way of knowing which gliders may be sensitive to it and which may not seem to be.
Posted By: anjill_tree

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 09:48 AM

Wow that is interesting. I have one Ecoquest brand. Several of my dogs vomit ( not every day, but new. I did move the Air purifier in kitchen area. I am going to turn it off and see what happens. MAtter of fact, My sons girlfreind vomits alot here, and we don't why. ( she is not pregnant. ) OFF SHE GOES
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 11:52 AM

I use one, but the one I use, I don't switch on the Ion setting. None of my gliders seem to be affected by it.
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 02:25 PM

I have been using one for about 5-6 years now with no problems dunno

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 03:56 PM

I use purifiers because I have kids with asthma and they help. Mine have the ionizer and I use it and have never noticed any problems.
I never saw on the packaging or booklet that came with it any warnings like that. It's possible I could have overlooked it but I thought I read it pretty well.

I'll have to look into this now. It has me curious. I've never heard that it's bad. I've only heard good things about it.
Ill ask my vet about it too next time I see him. Maybe he knows more about it.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 04:44 PM

Quote:
It gave me the most horrific headaches I'd ever had

The ionizer here at home give me migraines if the guys turn in on high. I prefer not to use it.

I have a Hunter Hepa air cleaner I prefer that over the ionizer.

I keep my door shut so that the parrots, gliders and I are not subject to the ionizers full effects.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 08:45 PM

I have purifiers that run consistently in my house, it was the ionic breeze quadra (with the light) that I had the horrible experience with. I think not all ionizers cause as severe of problems as others, just be aware of the possible sensitivity issues.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 09:18 PM

I have an ecoquest Flair filter in my glider room. Have had for about 5 years now and I have never had any issues. It smelled funny when we first put it in but Bob says that was the *clean air* we smelled. Now, no problems!! No Smells!! Love it!

It does have a place on the back that says *Sanitize* but if you put it on that one it recommends ALL Children and Animals are removed from the home.

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 11/17/09 10:10 PM

I have ionic air purifiers in the majority of the rooms in my home and I've never experienced any problems with them. I can tell when they're not on though because I can't breathe. My husband has had a problem vomiting for quite some time though and we can't figure it out, so I may turn off the ionizers for a few days to see if there is any change.
Posted By: SeemsFamiliar

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 12/29/09 05:07 PM

I have a filter that has a standard and an "ionizer" setting which it warns don't use the ionizer with a dirty filter because the ionized dirt will be dispersed into the air and become stuck to what it lands on because of the ionization and be extremely difficult to remove. I'd hate to breathe ionized dirt. Maybe the problem is when the filter or panels become dirty?

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 02/07/10 06:16 AM

WOW! This is a very interesting post. How is everyone re-adjusting to their ionizers being turned off? More vomiting and headaches or did the symptoms disappear with the flip of a switch? Keep us posted!!!
Posted By: Akane

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 03/31/10 04:17 AM

I have 2 ionic breeze, 1 of the older and 1 of the newer, along with the little bathroom one that you used to get free with a full size ionic breeze. They run constantly. I had the first 1 in my 11x11' room when I started college along with a desktop unit that died and the bathroom unit running on the other side of the doorway. I bought the newer one refurbished when I started renting this 1000sq ft house and have that one in the diningroom with the gliders and the other in the bedroom. Never had a problem. I often sit in front of them just after I've cleaned them because it makes me feel better. It smells like when it rains which I love and always makes me feel better.

I think it depends on the quality of the ionizer, the individual, and the environment. So many variables. Some have been proven to benefit from them and others have been proven to suffer irregardless of what brand they bought. It reminds me of all the doctors playing with my brain chemistry to treat my insomnia. We are messing with things we don't understand that are different for each individual. You cannot predict who will react well or badly to an ionizer just like you can give 100 people with the same symptoms a medication that changes brain chemistry and get 100 different reactions from absolutely amazing to deadly. We are also applying ionizers to a variety of environments and climates. Some may already be high in what is causing the side effects while others may not. Someone living in a big city is starting with a different amount of ground level ozone than I am out here in the middle of nowhere with no traffic or neighbors. Areas with a lot of hot, stagnant, sunny days will also convert pollutants to ozone faster than areas with frequent cloud cover and wind. Far too many variables and lack of knowledge to make a decision one way or the other for every situation.
Posted By: Pockets

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 08/05/10 07:00 PM

Believe it was Randy, we discussed this a few yrs back.
Have been owned by several different bird/parrot species thru the yrs & am still owned by my 25 year young Goffin's cockatoo, I was also concerned with this issue as birds/parrots can be quite sensitive

We located a Honeywell Hepa/CPZ air filteration & it has worked quite well for us thru the yrs.

Although This is an older site, believe it has some interesting info
THE DANGERS OF OZONE GENERATORS
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww23ev.htm

Please keep open eyes for more recent & helpful info
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 08/06/10 10:16 AM

Very interesting post. Would love to see more on it.

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 08/31/10 01:49 AM

i started using an air purifier about a month ago. i honestly don't know how i ever lived without one before. my girls cage doesn't smell at all and it just freshens up the whole room.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 09/26/10 10:48 PM

we had to get rid of ours as it bothered me. Gave me headaches and made my ears hurt. weird huh?

Re: Ionizer bad for gliders....fact or fiction? - 07/19/11 02:31 AM

Good to know!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL