GliderCENTRAL

Legal/Illegal States Map

Posted By: fox0r

Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/05/12 09:58 PM

I will try to keep this one updated. Let me know if you guys see any errors, or changes that need to be made.

Link to Illegal/Legal States Map on Google Maps
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/06/12 01:59 AM

That is a great idea!
Posted By: sitkasmom

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/06/12 01:50 PM

They are currently illegal in Prince William County and Fairfax County, Virginia. I am not sure about other counties.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/06/12 05:14 PM

Updated, thank you. smile
Posted By: Harukichi

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/11/12 05:18 PM

That is awesome, really helps to have a map with the colors.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/11/12 07:21 PM

cool
Posted By: snoman

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/18/12 03:20 AM

<3
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 03:38 PM

Are they really legal in all of MO except in Jackson County? /:
Posted By: Taby_Stec

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 03:56 PM

What does the light blue mean?
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Taby_Stec

The light blue is water...
Posted By: Lunas_mom

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin

LOL MCMuffin.... I think she means the light blue tear drop things:) They mean legal with a permit or documentation.
Posted By: Taby_Stec

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 10:00 PM

Ahh okay thank you Luna! Yes DC Muffin that was what I meant.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/26/12 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Lunas_mom
Originally Posted By: DCMuffin

LOL MCMuffin.... I think she means the light blue tear drop things:) They mean legal with a permit or documentation.

Ohhhhhh!!! :rofl2: I didn't even SEE the light blue ones. hehehe Oops! :roflmao:
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/30/12 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Meeko_Baby
Are they really legal in all of MO except in Jackson County? /:

There are towns or areas where they are not supposed to be legal. I know here in Columbia, at least a while back, they were legal to own, but not sell within city limits. You can to check around. The problem is not everyone knows the answer, so it's not easy to be absolutely sure. Local animal control would be your best bet, though.
Posted By: Sniperbaby

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 05/17/12 03:13 AM

I did not know they were illegal in Prince George's County, MD!
Anther excuse to never live in the hood with my boyfriend haha.
Posted By: lilangels

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/18/12 08:25 PM

Jen I just have to say thank you for that google map. I had someone asking me about gliders being legal in misdissippi and CA or not. I knew CA they are illegal but not about MI. It was nice to be able to just look at that map and see.
Posted By: Decoy

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/26/12 11:22 PM

An update for you, you do not have to have a permit if you have pet gliders in Florida. If you plan to breed and sell, you must have a permit. If you have a male, it must be neutered if it is in with a female. Weather or not you "plan" to breed or not, an un-neutered male in with a female is considered a breeding pair and you must have a permit. :thumb2:
Posted By: vintageinez

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/08/13 12:19 AM

Hey everyone, guess what?

So, as some of you may know, I'm a filmmaker who is currently working on a documentary about sugar gliders and how the advent of the Internet affects gliders and glider owners alike. As part of my documentary, I actually interviewed someone in Massachusetts state government about sugar gliders and he revealed to me that, within the next few months, sugar gliders and many other exotic pets are going to be legalized there! No exact date was given, but I just wanted to let you guys know that this is forthcoming.

Inëz
Posted By: aWiiPeanut

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/02/13 08:54 PM

What kind of documentation would I need to prove I bought from a USDA licensed breeder? I just need to know what to ask them for. Two of mine are but the third is a rescue (no idea where he came from) , so I guess I can't go to GA with him...
Posted By: isabella_b

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/03/13 12:39 AM

OMG! you are sooo smart I don't know anyone who would've thought of that, how nice of you thank you! :thumb2: :gidea: :gluck: thanks :yes:
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/03/13 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: aWiiPeanut
What kind of documentation would I need to prove I bought from a USDA licensed breeder? I just need to know what to ask them for. Two of mine are but the third is a rescue (no idea where he came from) , so I guess I can't go to GA with him...

I would think a signed Bill of Sale or Contract would be enough as well as a cancelled check or credit card receipt/paypal.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/03/13 05:27 PM

If they are from a USDA licensed facility, they should provide you with a copy of APHIS Form 7020. I have attached a copy of it so you know what it looks like. wink

Attached File
aph7020.pdf  (17 downloads)
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 11/03/13 08:02 PM

Thanks, Shelly, I was just grabbing in the dark really.
Posted By: Furrlover

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 02/07/14 05:50 PM

According to Mass.gov's website, sugar gliders are now legal to have as a pet in Mass. Article dated 1/17/14... WooHoo :hdance: :hdance: :hdance: :jump2:

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/11/14 06:18 PM

Updated

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/11/14 07:21 PM

thanks Jen!
Posted By: sugarmama07

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/19/15 09:08 PM

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/legislation.php?p=4683&more=1

Can someone further explain this to me? Is pa still undecided?

Also the map Givin under this topic is saying illegal for pa, however the topic right above this one in the laws and regulations forum says it IS legal....I am so confused....
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/19/15 09:17 PM

It looks like that bill is against owning gliders as pets.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/19/15 09:40 PM

Right, from what I gathered it's related to a bill from 2013. Is it still possible to petition against it? If this bill doesn't pass, does that automatically make them legal?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/20/15 12:22 AM

Born Free is another one of those animal rights groups, just like PETA, only their pockets are not as deep as PETA and HSUS.

Here is the language of the proposed bill:

Quote:

This legislation will amend Section 2961 of Title 34 (Game) by redefining “Exotic Wildlife” to include all non-indigenous animals and the following: nonhuman primates, bears, coyotes, gray wolves, red wolves, bobcats, lions, tigers, leopards, snow leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, cougars and any crossbreed of the animals specified having similar characteristics in appearance or features. The term will not apply to any birds, equines, camels, alpacas, llamas, deer, moose, elk, wild cattle, spiral horned antelopes, rats, mice, hamsters, chinchillas, viscachas, rabbits and hares, hedgehogs, moon rats, gliders, striped possums, ferrets or domestic guinea pigs.

Here is a link to the entire ammendment: MEMORANDUM

Basically they are going to make it illegal to own stuff like cheetahs, bears and other dangerous animals, but the following will be allowed to be owned as pets: birds, equines, camels, alpacas, llamas, deer, moose, elk, wild cattle, spiral horned antelopes, rats, mice, hamsters, chinchillas, viscachas, rabbits and hares, hedgehogs, moon rats, gliders, striped possums, ferrets or domestic guinea pigs.

It looks like if it goes through it would go into effect January 1, 2016.

It would help if you contacted the following senators:
ALLOWAY, GREENLEAF, LEACH and BREWSTER. They are the co-sponsers of the bill.

I have already contacted Senator Alloway. But more people contacting them in favor of allowing hedgehogs and gliders to be pets the better.

Do not be emotional in your letter to them, keep it informative with accurate information.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/20/15 12:31 AM

Thank you so much for that!I have searched everywhere for answers only to get more of a run around...this is the most help I've recieved so far!
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 06/22/15 03:15 PM

Great information Feather! Guess I didn't read enough of it. Ooops!
Posted By: Carlos_C

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 07/03/18 04:43 PM

Hello,
I was looking at this map for Virginia, and saw two counties (prince william and fairfax counties) that have listed as illegal to own sugar gliders. I believe this information is no longer accurate.
I have looked up the Virginia Admistrative Code (4VAC15-30-40.) Importation Requirements, Possession and Sale of Nonnative (Exotic) Animals. And Sugar Gliders or Petaurus breviceps are not listed as illegal or requiring a permit. The latest revision dated Jan 1, 2017. They are actually not even mentioned in it.
found here https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter30/section40/

and attached to this post as well.
Additionally, I know for a fact there are 2 exotic vets that see sugar gliders regularly in fairfax county. Not to mention every year there are people selling sugar gliders at the malls in Prince william county.

If anyone can provide verifiable proof to the opposite of this, I would very much like to see it. Otherwise, can this please be updated on your map.

Thanks,
Carlos

Attached File
4VAC15-30-40.pdf  (1 downloads)
Posted By: Carlos_C

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 07/03/18 05:56 PM

Okay, I may have spoken a few moments too soon, as I stumbled upon some more information. however the documents cited are from 1983...I will be sending some more emails and making some calls to see about getting changes to this.

https://library.municode.com/va/prince_w...NFO_ARTVIWIEXAN

Cheers,
Carlos
Posted By: ScottH86

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/17/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos_C
Okay, I may have spoken a few moments too soon, as I stumbled upon some more information. however the documents cited are from 1983...I will be sending some more emails and making some calls to see about getting changes to this.

https://library.municode.com/va/pri...of_ordinances?nodeId=CH4ANFO_ARTVIWIEXAN

Cheers,
Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Have you made any headway with this or have any petitions going? I realize this is almost a year old but nothing involving the govt happens quickly. The reason I ask is because I currently live in PWC and really want to get a pair of gliders but I feel it would be irresponsible of me to go through with it if there is even the smallest chance of them being taken from me.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/17/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScottH86
Originally Posted by Carlos_C

https://library.municode.com/va/pri...of_ordinances?nodeId=CH4ANFO_ARTVIWIEXAN

Cheers,
Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Have you made any headway with this or have any petitions going? I realize this is almost a year old but nothing involving the govt happens quickly. The reason I ask is because I currently live in PWC and really want to get a pair of gliders but I feel it would be irresponsible of me to go through with it if there is even the smallest chance of them being taken from me.

HI Scott,

I opened and read the ordinance that the link goes to. The way it is written, I would say that sugar gliders are legal to have as pets.

Wild or exotic animal shall mean any live monkey (nonhuman primate), raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded animal, poisonous snake or tarantula which can normally be found in the wild state or any other member of crocodilian, including but not limited to alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials. Ferrets, nonpoisonous snakes, rabbits and laboratory rats which have been bred in captivity and which never have known the wild shall be excluded from this definition.

Sugar gliders nor the all encompassing "Marsupials" is not listed. Our sugar gliders that we have as pets have been raised for the pet industry for over 30 years now.

In my opinion gliders are legal to have as pets.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/18/19 04:19 AM

Kimberley, I'm not so sure:
Wild or exotic animal shall mean... or any other warm-blooded animal... which can normally be found in the wild..."

Marsupials do fall under the definitions of "warm-blooded animal" and "normally be found in the wild."

Scott, I fear you will need to look into this more. If they're still wrong-minded on this issue, maybe time for a civic project smile

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/18/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Feather

HI Scott,

I opened and read the ordinance that the link goes to. The way it is written, I would say that sugar gliders are legal to have as pets.

Wild or exotic animal shall mean any live monkey (nonhuman primate), raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded animal, poisonous snake or tarantula which can normally be found in the wild state or any other member of crocodilian, including but not limited to alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials. Ferrets, nonpoisonous snakes, rabbits and laboratory rats which have been bred in captivity and which never have known the wild shall be excluded from this definition.

Sugar gliders nor the all encompassing "Marsupials" is not listed. Our sugar gliders that we have as pets have been raised for the pet industry for over 30 years now.

In my opinion gliders are legal to have as pets.

I do hope that is the case as I recall PP selling their gliders at Potomic Mills Mall which is in Prince William County. Grant it when I do get my gliders they'll either come from TPG or if there is a local reputable breeder that has the colors I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by Hutch
Wild or exotic animal shall mean... or any other warm-blooded animal... which can normally be found in the wild..."

Marsupials do fall under the definitions of "warm-blooded animal" and "normally be found in the wild."

Scott, I fear you will need to look into this more. If they're still wrong-minded on this issue, maybe time for a civic project smile

Agreed Hutch, I sent an inquiry to the Prince William County SPCA asking if Sugar gliders are legal to own in the county, if not the follow up question will be how to change it.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/19/19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hutch

When I have seen the "which can normally be found in the wild" they are usually referring to found in the wild in the US.

Please let us know what you find out.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/19/19 07:50 PM

When I have seen the "which can normally be found in the wild" they are usually referring to found in the wild in the US.

Please let us know what you find out.

Will do!

I've been told that since the PWSPCA is an all volunteer group that it could take a few days before I hear back from them. Fingers-crossed that they come back with good news

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/19/19 08:24 PM

So I just got off the phone with the Prince William Animal Control Bureau, currently it is illegal to own sugar gliders in Prince William County. He did say that he heard rumors that this may change though but didn't know if there was any truth to these rumors.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/20/19 03:44 AM

So I just got off the phone with the Prince William Animal Control Bureau, currently it is illegal to own sugar gliders in Prince William County. He did say that he heard rumors that this may change though but didn't know if there was any truth to these rumors.

You need to get one of the County board members to sponsor a change to their ordinance. Educate them about sugar gliders. Tell them that they were once illegal in Georgia and Mass and that they are now legal in those states.

Explain that they have been bred in captivity for pets for the last 30 or more years. (They were saying 20 years when I first got gliders and I have had gliders for over 11 years now.

Stick to the facts and don't get emotional.

You can even email everyone on the County board and Health and Humane services. Collect signatures, but not a list of signatures, put together a letter and have people sign it, a letter per person. A stack of paper is more impressive than a list of signatures.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/20/19 07:08 AM

You need to get one of the County board members to sponsor a change to their ordinance. Educate them about sugar gliders. Tell them that they were once illegal in Georgia and Mass and that they are now legal in those states.

Explain that they have been bred in captivity for pets for the last 30 or more years. (They were saying 20 years when I first got gliders and I have had gliders for over 11 years now.

Stick to the facts and don't get emotional.

You can even email everyone on the County board and Health and Humane services. Collect signatures, but not a list of signatures, put together a letter and have people sign it, a letter per person. A stack of paper is more impressive than a list of signatures.

So Feather, don't you have something written up that could be used as a guideline?

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/20/19 02:03 PM

If he PMs me his email, I can send him the letter that I sent to the City of Wausau.

Re: Legal/Illegal States Map - 04/20/19 03:03 PM

If he PMs me his email, I can send him the letter that I sent to the City of Wausau.

Email is in your pms ^_^
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL