GliderCENTRAL

Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders??

Posted By: Anonymous

Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 03:26 PM

Hey everyone! I was thinking about my old gliders and how annoying it was to actually show them off because people would ask the STUPIDEST questions lol. I would usually just let people peek in the pouch and this is the MOST frequent question I got:

"Can you take them out or will they fly away?"

roflmao Everytime I hear that I think OMG wow are you that dumb? lol

So cmon guys share some of yours!

Missy

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 03:34 PM

"What is it, a bat"

"Do they fly?"..."No the only mammals that can fly are bats"

And my favorite:
"Do they poop all the time in your bra"...and I say back "Do you poop and pee in your sleep?" I rest my case lol
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 03:44 PM

If I have them in a pouch, "Can they BREATHE in there???"
If they're in my bra, "Do they bite?"
And, after I've explained what they are to someone, they will invariably describe them to their friend or co-worker as, "Look! It's a flying squirrel!"
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 04:13 PM

I get tired of explaining, NO they are not rats or bats or rodents. They do not fly, they glide and NO they are not flying squirrels, or snake food! YES that is the sound they make when they are upset! NO, I'd prefer that you did not touch them and YES they do bite. Why do I have such a creature? Just look at them, how could you not want one! Well actually 14 and counting! roflmao
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 04:25 PM

roflmao Great topic! I never take my guys out and about with me because quite frankly...a bonding pouch just doesn't look normal! ^^ And if I do decide to bring them, people look at me funny because I have a pouch across my chest with it on my hip and my hand on it so it doesn't swing.

I've heard things like "Do they drink blood since they're nocturnal?" "Ewww!! Why would you want to own rats?" "What are those? Mice?" (yes...that's with the pouch opened up)

No...but really. If I do bring them with me, I make it a point to talk to "myself." Like, I was checking out at Walmart and this guy was trying to see what I had...well, turns out that he was parked next to our car! So, as I was walking by, I felt movement in the pouch and said kind of loudly "UH OH! We have a wiggler!! It's ok, cutie." roflmao The look on his faaaaaaaace was amazing. I didn't even realize I did it so I quickly held up the pouch and looked in the screen window and said "whatcha doin, girlie?" roflmao
Posted By: Zuki_Mom

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 04:27 PM

My favorite one is "Is it real?!" yes my gliders ARE real, they are alive. Their normal response is "Oh, I thought it was one of them new animatronic things" Ugh lol
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 04:38 PM

I hate when people ask: "Is that a rat?!"

I had Gollum with me at the movie store the other day and he had his head peeking out of my shirt, which, of course, drew a couple people's attention, lol. I was more then happy to bring him out and show him to them, but it irritated me when they asked if my beautiful boy was a rat! tant

Does this look like a RAT to you?!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 04:46 PM

When I take my girls out with me. I talk to them and people look at me funny and ask me "what do you have in there?" And I tell them and they say "what is that?" and I explain and show them. Then they go on to say something stupid like "Oh a flying rat" shakehead or some people get real scared of them or some want to touch them. But I tell them you can look but you can not touch. They bite!! And I go on about hard they are to take care of when I hear them say "Oh I want one" Yeah ok just a minute ago you did not even know they existed.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:20 PM

I was buying baby links for the cage at a second hand baby store when someone was listening to my conversation and over heard me say they were for the gliders. She turned and looked at me and said " you have sugar gliders?: I said yes and she said to me " Ewww those are ugly and nasty". I looked at her and couldnt stop myself I said " maybe people thing your ugly and nasty.. but I am sure someone loves you"...

After it was said I felt bad.. but I coudlnt help it... those are my children she was talking about...

Sometimes my mouth gets the best of me.. I guess...

Just had to share.. smile People say some off the wall things when it comes to gliders!!!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:22 PM

Oh my all time favorite...

"What's a marsupial??"

Are they kidding me?

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:24 PM

Oh and another thing...they are sugar GLIDERS...so NO...they can't fly...if so, they'd be called sugar FLYERS!
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:27 PM

roflmao Omg...Chelsie, that's amazing! Sounds like something I'd do.

One of my customers asked what type of pets I have so I told him. He was all "ohhh!!! Sugar gliders!!! I've heard of them!!" so I said "really? You really know what they are?" "Ya...they're a type of dog, right?" =X
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:30 PM

"Do they really fly?"

My response? "do they look like a bird"

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 06:53 PM

I would have to agree with Connie, "Can they breath in there?" (Meaning the bonding pouch.) I generally say yes. But what I REALLY want to say is, "No, I'm hoping to kill the tiny creature I go through the trouble of carrying around with me in a special pouch! You know, I don't wanna miss the blessed event!" UGH!

Something else that bugs the snot out of me... "What's in that bag you're carrying???" Do any of us run around asking other people what they carry in the various purses, wallets, totes and bags they carry????? What makes perfect strangers think it is okay to question someone about what they are carrying on their person??? It really strikes me as nosy and quite invasive of my privacy...

Other than that I don't really mind the questions. If I don't feel like answering questions when someone starts to wiggle or crab, I leave them at home. LOL
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:10 PM

LOL I almost fell out of my chair! this is sooo funny!
I love rubbing Arwen when she is sleeping between my boobs! such funny looks. A person asked "what's in there? some animal" and I said "no just me"
I dont like when everyone has to crowd around and stick their face close buy and wonder why I ask them to to step back. so I stuck my face up close to someone and grinned real big and said real loud "does THIS frighten YOU?"
I have finally gotten to the point I dont open the pouch or show Arwen off (she REALLY doesnt like it) I show pictures of her instead. I told one woman "I dont bring her out of the house for YOU, I bring her out for US" (meaning me and Arwen of course)
One woman wanted to touch her and I said "no I dont know where you have been"
Honestly...I like to show her to people who act as those they are truly interested and not that kind of interest people have when they see an accident or something. I like to educate people about them...but I dont like exposing her to risk either (ie: someone who may be ill)
stupidest question: too many to list

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:16 PM

most annoying hmm. i would have to go with "is it a bat, rat flying squirrel"?
I have had mine for over 2 years now and my parents still refer to them as "do you still have the RATS" no mum but i do have sugar gliders.
and Chelsie? I don't blame you one bit. it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people say something rude and hurtful to me or about my kids, furkids or family, and yet think *I* am still obligated to be polite to *them*.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Karma
it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people say something rude and hurtful to me or about my kids, furkids or family, and yet think *I* am still obligated to be polite to *them*.

I fully relate to this one! Someone at work makes a bad remark about them but then when I repeat the remark and insert the name of their pet they think I have just committed a a huge sin!
I get really tired of people expecting me to think like they do but I dont see them trying to think like me! LOL wouldnt THAT be scary hahahaha
AH I GOT IT THE STUPIDEST QUESTION!!!!

I swear on a stack of Bibles in front of GOD himself this person really said this!!!
I am in this discovery learning type store. You know the kind of store that teachers get alot of toys and other supplies from and everything is really over priced...well I am buying "supplies" for my gliders to make toys and a cashier asks me if I am a teacher, I say "No, I am buying this to make toys for my sugar glider" then I show her the pouch under my shirt and explain she is in there and sleeping, they are nocturnal, marsupials and they come from Australia, blah blah blah and she says ***drum roll please*** "Oh is that like one of those sea monkeys? we might sell them here" ummmmm yeah ok right sure they are and those sea monkeys are TINY LITTLE BRINE SHRIMP? or little tiny monkeys you can carry in a cloth pouch? and who would want to? fine then, I was OUTA THERE!
LOL

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:37 PM

I can not believe she actually said that! oh wow. that is terribly sad. on the bright side that means she won't want one as a pet lol

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:40 PM

I would have to say the most annoying question for me would be are they RATS! Ugh seriously why would I want a rat in my shirt! When I first brought my babies around family members they were all like omg its a rat, no its a rat that flies, no its a flying squirrel, or they come from bats! Really bats???

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Juanita
I would have to say the most annoying question for me would be are they RATS! Ugh seriously why would I want a rat in my shirt! When I first brought my babies around family members they were all like omg its a rat, no its a rat that flies, no its a flying squirrel, or they come from bats! Really bats???

Hey now, my rats enjoy being in my shirt roflmao roflmao

My boyfriend's family calls the suggies the "pencil sharpeners" because of the crabbing shakehead

I think the stupidest question I get asked, not just in regards to the suggies but all my babies is: "Does it bite?" Well.. they have teeth, so they have the ability.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 08:51 PM

My part of the country must be very different. Most people around here are too afraid to ask what's in the pouch. I think they think its some kind of medical thing. That's fine with me though. I love showing them off to people who are genuinely curious but respectful. It's the ignorant ones that drive me crazy.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 09:18 PM

I have a few friends and family that ask "When we having glider on a stick?" Now I can tell you that one P's me off.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 09:27 PM

They stupidest question..bar none was:

why do you have them? what do you do with them? I mean what do they do????

ummm they are pets.. lol.. like a fish, dog, cat, etc.... you dont expect them to do anything but love you.. and even that you have to earn just like any animal.. god I really do NOT like people sometimes..

I always get rude people though.. why would you be rude about someones pet when they OBVIOUSLY love their pet?? I wouldnt think of walking up to someones dog or cat and going OMG that is the fugliest animal ive ever seen!! RUDE!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 09:37 PM

I know what you mean. Haha My best friend likes to get me mad and she likes to make fun of my chi pom Juicy and recently she just started makin fun of my suggies. Callin them rats and stuff.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 10:47 PM

Well, whenever my friend is over and somebody else comes too, they might ask, "What is it???" and then my friend will say, "It's a flying rat!" It gets pretty annoying tounge Another annoying thing to here is, "AHH! Is it going to fly to me and bite me?!"

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/18/09 11:31 PM

Wow alot of these made me LMAO. I can't believe people are so dumb..wait actually I can.
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 12:16 AM

as they stick thier hand or finger in the pouch "Does it bite" ...well I guess we will see in about half a second if it does nor not since you fail to ask BEFORE putting your hand in...lol...cause yeah, if you startle them, they will bite you...so good luck!
Posted By: anjill_tree

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 12:50 AM

I work in medical field, and I take all my single gliders (2)to work with me, I have been asked " ohhh what is the matter with you? I said, "Nothing, why?" :sick: "well you have a heart monitor in there right? "( the pouche ) heart tee heee. No I have a suger glider. " A sugar what? " First thing I say is don't put your finger in there, they might bite ( they don't bite , but the person doesn't know that ) jump ANything I dislikek more is when a stranger tries to put their hands in my pouche !!!! exclamation

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 02:16 AM

These are funny

I don't have too many annoying questions but I have a good story

I was at Lowes buying PVC and such, I had taken my twins pouch off and set it down in my purse so I wouldn't bump them

At check out the guy bumped the cart kind of hard and jostled my purse that was sitting in the baby seat

The girls started crabbing really loudly and the cashier asked me if that was my cell phone

I said yep and just laughed

Someday I'm going to record the crabbing and use it as a ringtone

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 02:26 AM

My parents call them "rats" and it drives me crazy, atleast my boyfriends parents get it somewhat close and call them "sugar sliders" because Jade likes to slide down the stairway banister in their house.

The most annoying thing on earth is the people that think its okay to stick their finger right into the pouch before asking. My dad has not grasped the concept of not sticking his hand in the pouch yet... frown

And the other most annoying question is "why would you want them?" Well, lets see here,
1. They are adorable
2. Each glider is individual and has its own personality and quirks
3. They provide unconditional love
4. And besides, glider people are awesome. I mean who else and walk around with a third boob and random squiriming lumps in public and not be phased at all?
Posted By: GliderKitten

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 02:38 AM

LMAO! I love this thread, I'm at the library at my school and I keep giggling, my friend just looks at me and says "What stupid question now?"

I totally hate when people are rude! One of my friends was like "Did you finally get that pet? One of those ugly little things? I'm sorry but I saw pics online and they're really ugly" I was so [censored]! One of my other friends was like no I saw him he's soooo cute!

I told my other friend he's a marsupial and he still call it a rodent because "It looks nothing like a kangaroo" are you serious? have you seen, I don't know, Koalas? They look nothing like kangaroos and no one is like Oh those aren't marsupials. *sigh*
Posted By: josefine

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 03:12 AM

oh,i needed to be reading these today,they are great!!!!
i took my 2 young ones into work one day(my day off)to show them off,& my boss backed away like you wouldn't believe!!
he thought they were rodents,he was scarred of them!!!!
then,another lady there said,ew,they stink,& poop,& pee & bite alot.(she really doesn't care much for me),so,i told her she can too!!!!!!! well,that shut her up,she left the room.
talk @ ya L8R
josefine

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
I would have to agree with Connie, "Can they breath in there?" (Meaning the bonding pouch.) I generally say yes. But what I REALLY want to say is, "No, I'm hoping to kill the tiny creature I go through the trouble of carrying around with me in a special pouch! You know, I don't wanna miss the blessed event!" UGH!

LOL! I've wanted to say something like that too!!

This isn't annoying but from people who know me and that I have gliders, I get asked either, "Which one do you have today?", How many do you have today?" or "Do you have your sugar babies with you today?"

This IS annoying....My daughter's mil calls them "those squirrel things!". Hmph! She should be so luck to have something so special to love her!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980

This isn't annoying but from people who know me and that I have gliders, I get asked either, "Which one do you have today?", How many do you have today?" or "Do you have your sugar babies with you today?"

LOL I get that a LOT too! Like you said, from family and friends. My Aunt Lucille always has to search me and my cousin Mary over asking, "Do you have those "thangs" with yout???"

My partner gets on me sometimes when we are getting ready to go somewhere, peeking in my purse and looking for a bonding pouch on my body, "You don't have babies with you, do you? I don't think they need to go to the _________." Insert into the blank space: grocery store, doctor, dentist, out to eat, Walmart. Where else do I go??? They can't stay home ALL the time! LOL

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 07:06 AM

Peeka,
I love #4! I have to admit when I first got them I was alittle bit embarrassed, now....I will rub them, smell them and talk to that third boob, and drop food down there asking "is that yummy" and I dont care who is looking!
even funnier...one time Arwen pees on me a bit and someone goes "yuk!" and I am like "why? it's only alittle pee" oooh the looks they give you!

here's why I think we like gliders (posted this in another thread and really like it):
wonder what it is?.....the soft fur...the delicate hands....those big beautiful eyes....the funny long fluffly tails....those huge ears....the funny way their teeth stick out just a bit....or is it those faces that change and have expression....or those quirky personalities that make you laugh till you cry at 1:30am....or is it that they are so independant but when frightened they run to you for comfort....or when you leave the glider room they get anxious and when you come back they let you know they are happy to see you....they love you but remain independent...need you but dont act needy....or the gentle way they click and purr when they sleep between your boobs (sorry I was soooo poetic till that one!)

people....I hate the questions (or statements)when they say "why do you want one?" and I THINK "oh I dont know know, why did you want to have that smelly noisy funny looking BABY that will some day grow up and say 'I hate you' and cost about half a million to raise for 18 years"

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
this isn't annoying but from people who know me and that I have gliders, I get asked either, "Which one do you have today?", How many do you have today?" or "Do you have your sugar babies with you today?"

LOL....I bring mine to church every Sunday and everyone always looks at my chest and says "you carrying" funny how now they cant look at my face, they want to look at my chest and ask how Arwen is! LOL

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Nurturingnest
These are funny

I don't have too many annoying questions but I have a good story

I was at Lowes buying PVC and such, I had taken my twins pouch off and set it down in my purse so I wouldn't bump them

At check out the guy bumped the cart kind of hard and jostled my purse that was sitting in the baby seat

The girls started crabbing really loudly and the cashier asked me if that was my cell phone

I said yep and just laughed

Someday I'm going to record the crabbing and use it as a ringtone

roflmao That is so funny!! I forgot until I read your post, but I had taken my male to work with me and he was under my desk ( in a hospital cage after his neuter) One of the drivers walked up to me to ask a question and accidently kicked the desk. When the glider started to crab the driver jumped about 2 ft off the ground.. he looked at me so puzzled and said " did you put and alarm on your desk" I giggled and said yep... I let him think I had an alarm " instaled" on my desk for 3 days... LMAO...
Posted By: Feather

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 02:31 PM

Quote:
I have been asked " ohhh what is the matter with you? I said, "Nothing, why?" "well you have a heart monitor in there right?

I refer to them as my natural migraine/bloodpressure medication.

The guy at the feed mill calls them glorified tree rats, and the gal at the airport forgets that they are sugar GLIDERs and asks if I have the Sugar Daddy's with me.

People shakehead

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 03:13 PM

My apartment people call them "Sugar Beats" lol but its ok, the apartment people love them and always ask how my "sugar beats" are doing. They didn't even make me pay a pet deposit on them smile
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 03:42 PM

When people or family ask why you have an animal that takes up so much of your time and has so many "needs".

grrrrrr

I have awesome answers for this but... lol

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SugarBlossoms
When people or family ask why you have an animal that takes up so much of your time and has so many "needs".

you mean KIDS right? LOL

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 05:24 PM

H
Originally Posted By: monluvspagen
My apartment people call them "Sugar Beats" lol but its ok, the apartment people love them and always ask how my "sugar beats" are doing. They didn't even make me pay a pet deposit on them smile
Haha, Sugar Beats is the cutest name I have heard as a nickname for them! It's cute! roflmao

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 06/19/09 06:06 PM

LOL yea... my apartment people are awesome, and it is awesome they allow exotic animals here because alot of apartment do not.
Posted By: suggiegirl1988

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/09/09 11:44 PM

I had my leuistic glider "lou" out with me and a girl asked me if i bleached him.lol. It honestly shocks me how stupid people are.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 12:30 AM

I actually started saying something similar to this! I simply answer, "No.". Then they look at me like I owe them money or ran over their puppy! I know it's not nice of me but, get REAL, people! If 'it' couldn't breathe, I wouldn't put 'it' in there! LOL!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: GliderKitten

I told my other friend he's a marsupial and he still call it a rodent because "It looks nothing like a kangaroo" are you serious? have you seen, I don't know, Koalas? They look nothing like kangaroos and no one is like Oh those aren't marsupials. *sigh*

Same here! I remind them of Koala Bears, Wallaby's, Wombats and Opossums! The pouch may be in front, the pouch may be in back but it's still a POUCH! LOL!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 12:36 AM

"Can they breath in there?" "No, I'm hoping to kill the tiny creature I go through the trouble of carrying around with me in a special pouch! You know, I don't wanna miss the blessed event!"

IF i was not a glider persone that would not sound funny ... but from this side of the looking glass that is hysterical !!!!

i have to say the that to avoid the what is a Marsupial part i just learned to dumb it down ... pouch animanls, like opossums, and kangaroos ...
Posted By: suggiebabylover

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 01:37 AM

I bring my to school once in a while. The children love'em. The parents some think they're great and some back away 'cause they think they are rodents. The children will tell them they are marsupials not rodents.

They constantly ask when they're coming back to visit. One asks everyday, "Where's Joey?" I tell her 'he's at home in the bathroom' and she makes a face and goes, 'yeeew!' and then laughs.

My coworks are half and half also. Some enjoy them some don't. To each his own I guess. Not everyone will see them the way we gliderists do.

Mary & family
(2 cats Rocky & Cleo)
(1 suggie Gabrielle)
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 01:41 AM

I loved reading all these because most of them we've all heard at one time or another. I take mine to work all the time and when I have then in my shirt and they move people still get startled...it's too funny. You would think they would get used to it.

Jill, I loved your poem that is so true. I love their soft little bodies and their expressive faces. I love the little clicks and chirps they make when I give them mealies or when they are down my shirt grooming before they go snoozy. I love how they hide in my hair when they are scared or on my head when they are feeling brave...it's all too precious.

Anna

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 01:44 AM

[quote=suggiemom_1980]Insert into the blank space: grocery store, doctor, dentist, out to eat, Walmart. Where else do I go??? They can't stay home ALL the time! LOL
So true! I just got my bonding pouch last week, so I took the opportunity on Friday to take the gliders with me to the comic shop where hubbs plays Magic. He was a little put-off at first that I brought them, but then I handed him the pouch for a bit while I visited the restroom and he was so happy! grin He only gave them back because the guys got SUPER loud and even though the sugs were still being quiet, we didn't want them overloaded with noise and smells all at once.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 03:08 AM

I haven't really gotten any stupid questions but, the stupid remark I get when I tell people that my pair is going to have babies is that they will have babies every 20 sum odd days, like rodents. Super Frustrating!
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 05:19 PM

Oh man, one of my Uncle's girlfriends was like. "Oh my god, I though it was some kind of monkey! Is that what it is?" Uh, I just wanted to set her on fire. The bad thing, she's like a really bad drunk. So when she talks, you can't always make out what she's saying, lol...

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/10/09 05:44 PM

My mom's cousin comes to visit once in a while, and he always refers to them as rats- he also hates my dogs and my cat, and I have almost gotten out my nunchaku around him several times. He thinks that just because they are expensive for their size that they are a "lucrative business prospect," so even though he does not like them, he refers to them in the way you would a piece of expensive jewelry. It takes every ounce of my self control not to do something that HE will regret. lol

Stupidest question?
"Are those like flyin' squirrels?"
"The marsupial version. Yes."
"Oh, can you eat it?"
A stream of curses follows.
Okay, usually I'm much more friendly than that. xD I'm only like that when they A) call them rats disdainfully (I have nothing against rats, but when they say that, it's usually a euphemism for "Pest"), B)Ask if I've ever eaten one, C) Say something else extremely rude or ignorant that I would not say about their child.
What they don't understand is that my kids are better than theirs. xD My kids never talk back (in fact, none of my gliders crab, even), they never ask for money, they never tell me that they hate me even after giving them said money, I don't have to buy them a car or pay for their schooling, they never grow out of the cuddling stage, they're much, much cheaper, AND they're a thousand times sweeter and cleaner.
Plus, whenever I get tired of my kids, I can just leave them in their room for hours without being accused of child abuse.... lol xD I don't see why I'd want to when they never start kicking or screaming, though.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/12/09 12:05 AM

Seeing as we take our gliders with us everywhere, I've kind of gotten tired of anwsering questions already, even though we've only had them 2 or 3 months. It's gotten to the point to where I just say "it's a cross between a flying squirrel and a fruit bat" to shut them up.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/12/09 12:19 AM

Mio, you said it all! LOL!!! roflmao hug2
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/12/09 02:25 AM

My Mother likes to call them rats and suggest they "carry diseases".

My sister came to visit me not too long ago. Dexter was sitting in my lap watching a movie with me and eating mealies. She comes in snarls up her nose and says, "Whats in the pouch?"
I smile and say, "Dexter!"
She sticks her hand inside the pouch and opens up the top. Poor Dexter looks up at her with those gorgeous eyes.

She kind of smirks and says, "Thats the ugliest #@$! thing I've ever seen."
I politely inform her that I think hes cuter than all 3 of her children combined.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/12/09 03:26 AM

Dang Sarah!!! Eh... I probably would have said something equally nasty too. LOL
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 05:02 AM

I tell people they are a marsupial from the Australia area. If they really want to know, I will give them more info, but usually that is enough.

I need to make out little cards, business card size, that has more specific information about them to hand out. If anyone has any good ideas of what all to put on the card, PM me.

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 05:12 AM

I get all sorts off questions.. mostly because I am a teenager so when my friends ask... they ask stupid questions. No offense to them but... still haha.

I mostly get the 'CAN SHE BREATHE IN THERE!?' ..yes she can breathe. I do not intend to kill her.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 06:00 AM

"Do they bite?"

"Well, they have mouths..."

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 06:46 PM

why is that thing in your shirt?!

When they start crabbing "Oh it must not like you why is it doing that? "Because it's day time and it dosent like you"

"can i touch it will it bite?"

"So its a flying squirell" (no its a sugar glider for the third time) " In other words a flying squirell?" (ugh)

"why wont u let me touch it?"

So can i throw him to make it glide?

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: GnG

why do you have them? what do you do with them? I mean what do they do????

I get this one a lot. What does it do? It's like a hamster, right? What's the point, why don't you just get a hamster?

Grrrr

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Enoli

I got this one once. In fact, I just had to go visit that person the other day- they are still in the hospital from my swift retribution. agree

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 09:42 PM

My boss always asks me this. Super annoying.
Posted By: Yaniah

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 09:59 PM

Is it a rat???
~No it's not a rodent. Its a marscipial.
Oh so it's a tiny monkey?
~No, it is a Sugar Glider.
Oh So he'll fly if I throw him?
~No, he glides when he wants to, and were ever he wants to.
Is that URINE on you shirt/pants?
~Well yes it is, do you use the bathroom when you first wake up, and do you like to go where you sleep as well?
So can you put a diaper on them?
~Do you wear a diaper at your age?
Seriously they can breath through that, they really get enough air?
~Yes, the general rule is that if we can breath through it with out any trouble so can they.
Well don't they run out of air?
~Hmm..have you run out of air yet?
Posted By: irie888

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 11:07 PM

Is it a.......(So far I have gotten):
rat?....Nope
mouse?....Still Nope
rodent?....That's the same thing as a rat and a mouse
flying squirrel?....Not Quite
oppossum?.....Warmer
monkey?....Colder
bat?....Yes because they have cured rabies
badger?...Yes because they are friendly
small cat?....Yes because they are making them that small now

The "small cat" is by far my favorite! It was my cable guy and I thought he was joking. Was he?.....not quite. Stupid?.....Warmer.

Seriously? I am just going to wear a sign. Sometimes I want to wear a sandwich board and take Xanax before I leave the house!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 11:09 PM

I guess I'm just too old and crotchety - I don't have time for STUPID & DUMB questions or remarks -

When I get those - I usually turn around or walk past and just smile like I know something they don't -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 11:20 PM

I have had quite a few irritational comments / suggestions come through my hands. When I first got Fuzzy and Luna, my brothers wanted to see their 'wings', so I pulled fuzzy out and let them touch his patigium. They asked me "if you hold him by his tail, will he flap them?" And this is why very young children do not need gliders around without responsible adult supervision... ohwell

The other one i get is "OMG look! It's a squirrel!!!!"

"where do they poop?"

"are you selling him? How much?"

"so they eat just ferret and rat food right? Like the pellets?"

*rolls eyes* I have a slew of questions I am asked daily. Ugh.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 11:40 PM

I have posted various ads and have ALWAYS stated to experienced glider homes only!!! but I still get responses all the time like: "how much are they?" Not what do you have available or anything else about them, just the cost! if it was all about money, we wouldn't all be here! Yes you need to know about the actual glider cost, but there's so much more to it and if you have to ask the cost, you don't know a thing about them! Oh, and they are not rats, bats or squirrels!

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/13/09 11:45 PM

Ok, so no really, I'm soo glad to now be a part of the '3rd boob community' roflmao
My temper is short with stupid and ignorant people, but after reading this, I'm fully prepared with plenty of smart-elic remarks dance
Posted By: Kage

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/14/09 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiegirl1988
I had my leuistic glider "lou" out with me and a girl asked me if i bleached him.lol. It honestly shocks me how stupid people are.

Oh my gosh. THAT is crazy! I kinda laughed since that is a really stupid question. (to me)
Posted By: etrnalsunshinee

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/14/09 11:43 PM

I think its the worst when people actually have the audacity to ARGUE with you about whether it's a flying squirrel or not. I've actually had this happen, and they were completely serious and convinced I was wrong about my animal's species. Here's another great one...

My friend: What is a 'sugar glider'?
Me: Its a marsupial, in the same family as a kangaroo and they originate in Australia.
My friend: Well then how did you get it HERE?!

I believe the correct answer to this would be magic. agree

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/14/09 11:49 PM

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I have reading this thread! I get all of the above questions on a regular basis, but what I really enjoy is that people at work can NEVER remember what they're called and always ask how my "honey creepers" "candy bears" or "sugar babies" are doing. I think I like "honey creepers" the best. smile The crazy names they come up with always get me laughing so hard I am unable to answer them. Why is is so hard to remember "sugar glider?"
Posted By: kelii

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/14/09 11:58 PM

I never get annoying questions because I never let people see them anymore. I got sick and tired of explaining what a marsupial is. I mean seriously, don't you have to go through 4th grade science to learn about marsupials??
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/15/09 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: kelii
I never get annoying questions because I never let people see them anymore. I got sick and tired of explaining what a marsupial is. I mean seriously, don't you have to go through 4th grade science to learn about marsupials??

This! People have outright NOT believed me because "marsupials live in Australia not the US!" What the good gracious is an opossum then!?!? "A varmit." *dies inside*

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/15/09 02:40 AM

My aunt calls them my "creatures"....

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/15/09 04:52 AM

My newest one

does it bite?
(anything that has a mouth bites)

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/15/09 05:38 AM

My newest one

does it bite?
(anything that has a mouth bites)

At work (petsmart), I get that a lot, and I say "well everything with a mouth can bite, shoot sometimes I even bite"... people are so dumb, like I can read an animals mind if they are going to bite or not...

Most of my friends just call them my children or babies now since that is what I refer to them as "Oh I got to get home and play with my children. Or I have to get home and feed my babies"... story of my life smile

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/22/09 05:39 AM

I was just thinking about something we all seem to get just about the same few questions... hm

I guess we must be the only educated people in the world

Re: Most annoying question ppl ask about gliders?? - 08/22/09 07:06 AM

Most of the people I hang with have gliders, so that's not a problem. My husband either calls them my rats, just to get on my nerves, or my suggie babies. I get all knda of questions, but more often than not the first hing out of their mouth is, "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" I say no go right ahead. Then comes what do you have in the pouch.

Last time I was in PetSmart I actually had the cashier ask me if I was the one with gliders. When I said yes, I suppose so. She ask me if I remembered a lady speaking with me about them. Duh, I have ALOT of people ask me about them, lol. Well she hands me a note an tells me that the lady ask if she sees me again will I give me this note. I open it to read this......

Dear Miss, (she was an older lady, maybe late sixties,)

After I ran into you at the store I couldn't wait to run home and do some reading up on them. I found lots of interesting sites (she didn't say which ones,) and I was wondering if I could speak with you more about these adorable little animals? If you wouldn't mind speaking with me, please call ###-####. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Prissy $%#^&*(

Well I call her and we peak for over an hour. She had the usual UNusual questions, but alot of very interesting ones too. You guys know the ones.....

How long do they live?
What would be the best diet for them?
Is it hard to find vets to treat them?

etc, etc, etc.

Well turns out she has been widowed for over a year and is finally doing all the things she always wanted. She has already bought a rather large bird, and I swear the cage was to die for, I'd give my left arm for one (she sent me a pic of the bird and cage.)

I'm pretty sure he's going to be getting at least 2 if not more. She was even asking about colors (but she thought my pretty grey was adorable. I gave her a few peoples numbers and told her to contact them (yes their was a couple of rescues brought up.)

So remember even some of those questions are dumb, they could very well be leading up to something momentous (maybe not in a good way, ugh!! but who knows.)

But the whole point of this long winded story is I was getting rather annoyed with the bumb $%@ questions too. But this lady gave me reason to hope that not everyone os as stupid as they seem, lol.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL