GliderCENTRAL

Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed!

Posted By: GliderMeCrazy

Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 08:52 PM

So I was just looking around on a website that does national classified listing, most of us know about this website and use it. But I don't think I can list it on here. Anyway, I saw an ad for "Sugar Bear for sale" So I was like.. huh what's that so I clicked it and its a sugar glider. Seems like they bought the glider from the expo in Jan at our fair grounds here in MD. And the people selling them are now calling them Sugar Bears. So.. I went to a good ol search engine and typed in "Sugar Bear" and sure enough websites with gliders came up.

WHY in the heck are people now calling them Sugar Bears??? I'm a little upset cause now there is a new name for new owners to get confused.. or god forbid someone buys a "Sugar Bear" and trys to search for care online but they can't find the good info if they would have searched the correct name of "Sugar Glider" *sigh* Sorry I'm venting.

Has anyone else heard about this or how it got started!?

Thanks,
Erin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 08:56 PM

PPP will tell you they are sugar bears. I believe when they stand on their hind legs to ward off animals they look like little bears.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 08:58 PM

They're calling them sugar bears because when they sell their sugar GLIDERS they tell people not to research them online because we are all "self appointed internet experts" and that the only GOOD information is THEIR information. So, by typing in sugar bears, you go to THEIR website and their fake wikopedia articles, etc. THey're liars. They don't WANT anyone to find the proper information because then they won't buy their disgusting pelleted food and their tiny cages and their sick gliders....
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 09:10 PM

It's almost worth making a sugar bears forum to re route people here for the right info omgoodness!
Posted By: Nicki

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: chattrbabe
It's almost worth making a sugar bears forum to re route people here for the right info omgoodness!

I completely agree!!

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 09:31 PM

It's ABSOLUTELY worth it and has anyone edited their false Wikopedia stuff? That's just crazy.
Posted By: wclanton423

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 09:37 PM

I absolutely agree. Isn't there a way to link the phrase "Sugar Bear" to our website here? The only two websites that come up glider related are run by PPP. tant I can't believe those people. tant
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 10:58 PM

We have added tags and such here for sugar bears so when search engines index us, we should also be getting indexed for sugar bears wink

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 10:59 PM

But we do need to keep topic like this going to help the search engines.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 11:43 PM

Exactly!
Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/21/09 11:56 PM

I googled "Sugar Bear" and GC didn't come up until the 7th page...is there anyway to get it to be on the first page?
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 12:15 AM

Sugar Bear, Sugar Bear, sugar bear, Sugar bear, sugar Bear, SUGARBEAR, sugarbear Sugar Bear, Sugar Bear, sugar bear, Sugar bear, sugar Bear, SUGARBEAR, sugarbear Sugar Bear, Sugar Bear, sugar bear, Sugar bear, sugar Bear, SUGARBEAR, sugarbear

That should help wink

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 12:34 AM

Around the holidays they where at the mall by me and I was talking to the guy because I wanted one and I asked him the differnce between a sugar bear and a sugar glider and his remark was " people don't want to hear glider because it didn't sound cute and because he thought people would think it was from the rat family" he had 2 there with him and let them jump around to people there.
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 12:36 AM

I was just reading the care link on the PPP site. You know, i havent had my boy for long, but i have never seen him hover. O.o

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 12:38 AM

Yeah I just had my cousin in NY (Long Island) find me in facebook and we were catching up and started talking gliders..she told me up there, they are called sugar bears...so I had to go on a rant lol and explain everything to her lol...

I think adding sugar bears to any and all websites we have is a great idea!
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MissSarah
You know, i havent had my boy for long, but i have never seen him hover. O.o

Gliders hover? What?

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 01:09 AM

They were very good almost got mine from there till I found thins site. My mom didn't want to spend that much on me for Christmas. PPP says they don't smell like like good so dogs won't go after it. How would I go about introducing it to my dogs. I have 3
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Itzjami3yo
They were very good almost got mine from there till I found thins site. My mom didn't want to spend that much on me for Christmas. PPP says they don't smell like like good so dogs won't go after it. How would I go about introducing it to my dogs. I have 3

I strongly suggest that you don't! It's to much of a risk in trusting that the dog(s) will not try and harm them.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 01:33 AM

ohh thank you I don't want nything to happen to her.. I'll keep the dogs out of the room the glider is in.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 01:35 AM

Yes, that whole line that PPP gives about cats and dogs not wanting to go after gliders because they don't have a "rodent" smell is completely untrue.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 02:13 AM

Suggiemom is 100% right..I got my first glider from them and that is exactly why they call them sugar bears, I was really lucky to have found this website and I am not so sure I would have if I didnt search "glider."

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 02:20 AM

Ugh...I am just disgusted at every time I read the nonsense they have on their websites.
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 03:23 AM

This is not the first thread about this issue- all we REALLY need to do is have the GOOD glider info sites and forums add "sugar bear" as a tag so that the GOOD sites come up when you search for that instead of just "sugar glider"
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 04:09 AM

also, don't abbreviate PPP

you need to have it spelled out.

perfect pocket pets spelled out as often as possible so it'll bring us up when people goggle them.....they don't shorten it to ppp

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 05:23 AM

if you search sugar bears on google if you look at the side it says that you are using the wrong name and tells you to use sugar glider that is pretty cool at least they are kinda of helping

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 02:40 PM

When we started doing the articles, I thought about trying to get someone to write one up an article about the differences. It cannot be anything negative but it can use the name of mill breeders and sites that are using this name to divert the unknowing to them so when googled those cannot see the negative.

This is something I know would be indexed a bunch and help move up the google and other search engine ratings.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 02:48 PM

hello everybody,
is michael mcgrath of suargliderconnection.com a ppp representative/mill breeder?

regards,
nancy

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 03:15 PM

SunCoast was able to put one of their articles on the first page of google when you search "Sugar Bear" so hopefully this will help people who are looking for the right information.

Well, nevermind, maybe I'm going crazy but there just was an article on the first page of google and now I can't find it. The article explained what the term "sugar bear" really was.

Hmmmmm...

I found it, it;s on the first page of Yahoo when you search...whew!

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 03:21 PM

I know he is a mill breeder. To bad I did not keep the info he gave me when I got my first glider. When I found GC I threw all his info away.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 03:25 PM

yes, I do believe mike mcgrath is perfect pocket pets
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 03:39 PM

thank you, i thought he was from reading past posts abt. ppp. but i had forgot the name.
i got my first sugar glider from him in michigan at the
state fair. i didn't even know what a sugarglider was until
i seen one gliding from the father and son.i bought a female and named her sugar. thank god i didn't think his information was correct and went on line and found suncoast and through them i found this site, it is wonderful. my sugar is healthy and will be 2 yrs. old in july. i am one of the lucky ones.
she just went to the vet for her checkup yesterday and is
doing good and healthy but she is small and only weighs 66 grams. she is a very persnickity eater and is a nervous type, now i know why. my gliders are on the suncoast diet.

regards,
nancy
rocky and sugar my babies
and leah coming tomorrow from liz cant wait.
p.s. i attribute my healthy gliders to this forum and suncoast and their newsletters.
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 08:44 PM

i just searched Sugar Bear on google, and guess what? We are on page 3!!!!!!

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 08:46 PM

They may be working in association with each other, but PPP is owned by Virgil Klunder in Cape Coral, FL. Well, now he's put everything in his wifes name. But hey, they've got a 4 million dollar house for sale in FL if anyone is in the market for a little winter get away......
Posted By: IowaMisty

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 08:58 PM

Yeah I have hard that Mike is a mill breeder too.

sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears sugar gliders are not sugar bears

Just helping the ranking. ;o)

I put a mill breeder page on my website and used the wording "sugar bear" to try & get up in the google rankings. I can't remember if I put it as a keyword though, so I'll go back & check that soon. I have been getting some hits though from google & people have emailed me questions about the mill breeders, so that's a good sign.

I wonder if Perfect Pocket Pets is calling them "sugar bear" to just sound cute like how kinkajous are also known as "honey bears". Either way, I definitely agree that it is a ploy to keep people from googling the correct term & finding out how horrible they are.
Posted By: Rieshu

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 10:41 PM

PPP says they call them Sugar Bears because they are closely related to Kowala Bears (sp)

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom
It's ABSOLUTELY worth it and has anyone edited their false Wikopedia stuff? That's just crazy.

I checked it out and it only referenced the mascot for the Post Sugar Crisp cereal.

We're in the clear on that one...

But I had to check out PPP's website... *gag* I hate it... and so sad! Misinforming people like that is super sad. frown
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 11:00 PM

the only thing linking a koala to a glider is this:

Koala Bear
* Kingdom: Animalia
* Phylum: Chordata
* Class: Mammalia
* Infraclass: Marsupialia
* Order: Diprotodontia
* Family: Phascolarctidae
* Genus: Phascolarctos
* Species: Phascolarctos cinereus

Sugar Glider
* Kingdom: Animalia
* Phylum: Chordata
* Class: Mammalia
* Infraclass: Marsupialia
* Order: Diprotodontia
* Family: Petauridae
* Genus: Petaurus
* Species: P. breviceps

so i really fail how to see how they can call a sugar glider a 'sugar bear'. "a rose by any other name would still be as sweet" is my guess as to what they are trying to pull off. idiots !
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/22/09 11:18 PM

Jeff and i are sitting here alternating between laughing and being like "what the heck are these people on ?" as i read aloud stuff from Pocket Pets.

oh yes, Jeff just pointed something out to me. the whole time they're calling them 'sugar bears' no reference is made to what koala's eat or anything at all to bak up this [censored]

any1 else besides me just want to bang their heads together ??

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 02:53 AM

How come when you search sugar bear you also get north American sugar BEAR associaton. www.Mynasba.org but is also mantions sugar glider.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 03:07 AM

NASBA is a website that was created by Perfect Pocket Pets to act as a "organization" on the care of diets. They have gone ahead and changed all of the wording on that site to "sugar bears" as well. If you read through it there is an article to steer clear away from forums like us. It's just a way to misguide new owners into finding the correct onformation on sugar gliders.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 03:13 AM

I notice the same pictures from the GC gallery on the "PPP" website and their supporting organization... either these pictures were submitted by supporters who are also members here, but seeing as most of the posters here don't support them, I'm assuming they're stolen. dunno

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom
They may be working in association with each other, but PPP is owned by Virgil Klunder in Cape Coral, FL. Well, now he's put everything in his wifes name. But hey, they've got a 4 million dollar house for sale in FL if anyone is in the market for a little winter get away......

Im confused? On the website it says:

Quote:
Even though our corporate offices are in Florida, our teams of experts are located all around the country - in a variety of different time zones.

So is this "company" really owned by just 2 people?

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 12:24 PM

Pretty Much- it's like McDonald's...t here is a CORPORATION that owns the NAME and the LOGO but the actual RESTAURANTS are owned by FRANCHISES... that is how PPP operates... multiple people across America who buy into using the name and then get the stuff from the main corporation

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 12:27 PM

ajvs, I've noticed this trend, too- and in some cases the photo owners originally got their gliders from PPP and were "brainwashed" into the PPP stuff so they actually follwoed the advice, used the website, submitted photos, and got their supplies from PPP... avoiding the glider community altogether because PPP told them to... THEN they found GC... but the pictures are still at PPP, even though the PEOPLE and GLIDERS are now in the safer hands of GC and other forums.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 10:55 PM

I just bought the domain sugar-bear.net

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 11:20 PM

clap
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/23/09 11:26 PM

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'm baffled as to why the people who go to their "sugar bear" website, they don't notice the "Got Questions about buying a sugar glider?" button.
Ahem. Repeat. Buying a sugar GLIDER. Why don't they notice this?! tant

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/24/09 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
Pretty Much- it's like McDonald's...t here is a CORPORATION that owns the NAME and the LOGO but the actual RESTAURANTS are owned by FRANCHISES... that is how PPP operates... multiple people across America who buy into using the name and then get the stuff from the main corporation

This is terrible! I can't believe this is even legal with live animals. cry

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/24/09 04:43 PM

I know that i have been doing a ton of research about sugar gliders because my hubby had one a few years ago that died of old age and i am getting him to females on sunday. Anyway sugar bear came up alot.....and several times when sugar bear bear came up so did the name sugar glider. I came across several sites that are links from many web sites that are listed here in signitures. by just doing a google search so what i would recomend you guys all do is this. Re vamp some of your web sites on care of sugar gliders/ sugar bears and perfect pocket pets! That way people will ge the correct info on them and they will be able to actually get the right info. Also i am pretty sure u can post your own info on Wicki and places like do it your self and so on and so forth. Just make sure that when you do it you make sure to include as many of the common and uncommon names for sugar gliders. I would hate someone to just buy an animal just because it is fuzzy and adorable and not know how to take care of it. Thats just me though. Also if any of you post adds in serch engins i would make sure to post the names too!

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/26/09 04:26 AM

I found the paper that the man from the mall that had the "sugar bear" they actale state on the back In a big font size letters look on got questions section of their website and two other reputable websites ans lists [non_supported_site] and [non_supported_site].

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 04/26/09 05:01 AM

Pocket Pets does "franchise" by using brokers who sell in their name. They're covered under PPP licensing, etc.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/01/09 01:51 AM

Wow I didn't think I would get this much of a response lol! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the way I do about this. Let's just hope people that get "sugar bears" find their way to this website

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/01/09 02:59 AM

Are you familiar with "Google bombing?"

It's how you artificially get one site above another.

You run a google search for a specific term. In our instance, "Sugar Bear." You then go through the google pages until you get to the website you want to be the top result (for our purposes, glider central) and click it and then click through several links on the website you want to be the top result. Then run ANOTHER google search for that term.

Repeat as many times as you can. Eventually, glider central would come up above any other result for "sugar bear."

It's how google works and it's been used with great success on many occasions by both vandals and people working for good causes.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/02/09 12:14 AM

Wow thats pretty neat, didn't know that.

I can see that could cause google wars though.. People wanting their site to come up first and all.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/02/09 12:18 AM

It can cause sort of a flip back and forth. And sometimes, if Google gets complaints, they'll "fix it." It's just something that is possible.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/02/09 05:08 PM

Can someone do a wikipedia page about perfect pocket pets ? I noticed they didnt have one so that could be a great way to get the info out there that they suck.

Re: Sugar Bear!!!!??? I'm kinda miffed! - 05/02/09 05:46 PM

Quote:
I just bought the domain sugar-bear.net

Sweeet! Good for you!

I also think it's a good idea for all of our sites to include the term "sugar bear"...even tho we all don't like the tactics that PPP is using, we should just all follow suit...the more of our sites that have "sugar bears" in it, the more times the genuine sites show up in a search.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL