GliderCENTRAL

What are some reasons that make someone

Posted By: tammyangel

What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 04:55 PM

Wondering how everyone feels on this subject.What are some reasons that make someone be someone that shouldnt be sold to?Someone who shouldnt rescue or breed or own a glider?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 05:04 PM

Trolling for gliders. Wanting to purchase/rescue EVERY single glider in the classifieds section.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 05:28 PM

Thinking they "know everything" and aren't willing to learn more.
Thinking they want a pair so they can breed.
Someone who has a history of owning a variety of exotic pets, each one for a couple years, then moving on to the next, and the previous one gets neglected or rehomed.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 05:52 PM

It really takes common sense to weed out the good versus bad pet owner or hoarder, but here are some red flags I would look for:

•Wanting to buy them because they look neat/are cute.
•Showing no interest in correct diet or habitat
•Showing concerns ONLY for the financial side of owning (bargaining out of taking to a vet because "they're just little animals, surely they don't NEED it", constantly asking about the cost of this and that, asking for the cheapest price possible because "we can't really afford ___", or buying the smallest/least amount possible because they don't want to spend that much money)
•Only asking about breeding, or what kind of profit can be made from selling them.
•Someone who only wants to buy it because their kid/SO wants one, but shows no other interest than "getting them to shut up about it already"
•It may be hard to discern, but pet hoarders. Someone who might mention "all the other" pets they own, or someone who finds interest only because it seems cool to own an "exotic" pet

Hope that helps.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 06:30 PM

This topic has the potential to get out of hand very quickly. As long as it remains respectful and all personal issues remain off the board, it will remain open.

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 06:40 PM

I think sometimes its just a feeling you get talking to them.
I think anyone looking to place a glider should have many conversations with the potential new owner.
You can sometimes get a feel if they are off. smile

I agree if they start talking about babies before they even have gliders.
If they try to haggle price like they are buying a used car is one of the biggest grips I have. While I agree people should not make money off an older glider they are trying to find a home for they should not expect to get them for free.
We took in a glider that was surrendered and we started putting out ads an we did put one on Craigs( never again)

I got 43 responses all with a variety of comments back on why they didn't want the glider unless it was free.
My favorite one was "I can't afford that I'm only 10" shakehead
Comments like that you can't press delete fast enough.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 06:46 PM

Quote:
"all the other" pets they own,

Hey! I think I resemble that remark! 3 horses, 7 dogs, 3 birds, 2 rats, 2 hamsters, 31 gliders and do the 3 grandkids count???

Ok, not all those are mine...the rats, the hamsters, 7 of the gliders and 3 of the dogs are not mine but they live here.

Hording to me is where there are so many that any ONE of them goes without proper care and socialization or where the humans go without constantly on basic necessities.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Hey! I think I resemble that remark! 3 horses, 7 dogs, 3 birds, 2 rats, 2 hamsters, 31 gliders and do the 3 grandkids count???

Hording to me is where there are so many that any ONE of them goes without proper care and socialization or where the humans go without constantly on basic necessities.

No offense meant! It's a very subjective thing to look for, obviously you can handle that many animals, but of course there's a difference between a responsible owner and a hoarder who just wants more more more for their "collection"! And you made a great point, if you can give EVERY animal the attention it needs, then I think it's OK! But if you're buying for the sake of more animals, or on impulse because "i just can't not buy it" when you have animals at home that don't receive attention, then you don't need more.

Also, macwood6 I like the point you brought up about wanting free gliders.. I am a firm believer in, "if you can't afford to vet it, don't get it!"
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 07:29 PM

Quote:
"all the other" pets they own,

Ok, not all those are mine...the rats, the hamsters, 7 of the gliders and 3 of the dogs are not mine but they live here.

Treasa we all know how wonderful you are with any pet yours or anyone elses .Some of us have actually had the pleasure of seeing some of the babies you have rescued and theres no doubt in most of our minds that you and several others would take every animal you could afford and take care of properly into your homes.Id even say that I could bet youd take in some of those animals most wouldnt take at all like a snake or spider if need be.

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 07:50 PM

I think Teresa was being funny - and I also think that being aware of a person's other pets is something to take into consideration before placing a glider with them.

Is this someone who (like my mother) is under the delusion that all life is "a peaceable kingdom" and should be allowed the run of the house, cage free? (my mother believed this religiously. ... I can't tell you the number of gerbils lost to cats ... or even the one cat who was killed by the dogs ... )

No - having a lot of other animals doesn't rule someone out. But I think questions as to *why* they have others are in order. And maybe their philosophy of pet ownership?

I have 24 pets - and, like Teresa, I don't think that would rule me out! However, I've heard of some with 2 pets who shouldn't keep gliders!

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 07:59 PM

I was trying to be funny, kinda to lighten the thread a little but there are days when I truly wonder about myself.

I know that I reached my limits. I WISH my son could take he dog with him but he is stationed in Hawaii and will be going back to Iraq (second tour) in October. Thankfully he found someone else to care for his two 5 foot iguanas!

In October, my daughter, son in law and 3 grandkids moved in here. They brought the rats, hamsters and a dog with them. Heather has since adopted three gliders. They are currently looking for their own place until we get the HUGE 4 room addition put on the house.

I have 80 acres so my space isn't as limited as most. I can not even imagine living in an apartment with even just this many gliders, much less the other animals. We do plan on adding to our animal count though...Chickens this spring and maybe a calf or two. But this IS a farm and what is a farm without chickens??? Hubby did say no to the alpacas though.
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 08:00 PM

Reselling/Rehoming a rescue/joey/glider

Being deceiving/lying

Hoarding/trolling

Small Cages

Bad Diet

People who don't take care of their gliders; that have malnourished or hurt gliders that don't receive vet care.

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 08:01 PM

Taking in rescues for free or cheap just to resell them or breed them for profit.

RESCUES SHOULD NEVER BE BRED!

Anyone that thinks they can get rich off breeding gliders! If done right, you will be lucky to break even.

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 08:48 PM

Hubby did say no to the alpacas though.

WHAT??? Get him on the phone right now! Does he know what excellent guard animals they make?? Does he know I spin and would pay for your alpaca fiber? Does he not know how sweet alpaca kisses are!?

I've wanted acreage for a long time, just so I could get an alpaca. You've got the acreage ... and no alpaca!!!???
Posted By: Bubbles8i8

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:01 PM

Alpaca = guard animal? roflmao

Sorry O/T

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:04 PM

I've seen some alpacas be fierce little things when unfamiliar people/animals etc.. enter their territory. I wouldn't want one of them on my heels roflmao
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:06 PM

Yes, alpacas are great. They make great guard animals for livestock at well. They will attack animals if the deem them a threat.

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:08 PM

I know - really off topic, and I'm sorry - but an alpaca will actually drive off predators. Wolves, etc. Even mountain lions. They are VERY fierce when they feel their "flock" is attacked - and mostly any animal they live with, including chickens, humans, donkeys, etc is their "flock". I know someone who had an alpaca kill a mountain lion that had been attacking her sheep. frown Sad for the lion - but impressive for the alpaca!

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:13 PM

what is an alpaca???
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:16 PM

similar to a llama
Posted By: Bubbles8i8

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:20 PM

Oh and to get back on topic, I would never adopt to someone who refused to let me drop the glider off at their house. That would be a sign that they have something to hide.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/08/08 09:54 PM

So far, I haven't found anyone to sell the joeys I have to for just about all the reasons you all have already listed.

Another one is that kids who call wanting to buy a glider but the parents say "they" have to take care of it because they refuse to pay for cage, food, VET BILLS, etc. (got a couple of those calls already)

People asking if they are as easy to take care of as a hamster...uh..NO..please go to this site (GC) and RESEARCH for a few months!

At this point, I may end up neutering all the boy joeys too and have a colony of boys. smile
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: What are some reasons that make someone - 03/09/08 05:29 AM

I have an application I make them fill out. I want to see if number one, they are old enough, in a legal place and also if they have taken the time to research gliders.

The application is not hard for anyone who has at least been on GC a while and have done a bit of serious reading on them.

Just because they get a few wrong doesn't mean I won't sell to them. I can tell by meeting with them and speaking with them if they are willing to learn and to read information that I send them.

That's all very important to me. For them to be open and listen when I speak with them.

Danielle G.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL