GliderCENTRAL

Look what my little GIRL Spryte has!

Posted By: Dancing

Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 08:56 PM

Spryte is my little girl who broke her leg and had a pin put in it. She had a joey in pouch when she broke her leg and sadly, the joey only survived about 15 minutes after it came oop and weighed just 5.5 grams.

Yesterday Spryte had loose stools so I had to clean her up and what I discovered has just blown me away. I called Bourbon, she said she wanted to see a pic. So I got a pic and sent it to her. I called Mary and sent her the pic too. Bourbon wanted vet verification...

So, this morning when I took Duncan in to be neutered, I took Spryte too and this has been confirmed by my vet...

Spryte is a Hermaphrodite.

That's right, she has both a pouch and a penis!

I have one good photo and will try to get some more but it is almost impossible to hold her in a way that clearly shows her pouch and her penis AND take a picture without her getting to upset with me.

Spryte 1

Spryte 2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:01 PM

OMG that is totally amazing.....and great job on the photos
Posted By: itsasugarglider

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:04 PM

**is shocked**

I didn't know that was possible with gliders!

What a special little suggie!

Is that the first case of a hermaphrodite in gliders? Does it pose any other health risks?

=) you learn something new about your pets every day.
Posted By: Slickable3

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:04 PM

What?? OMG!
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:10 PM

That's unbelievable!!!! So would it be possible for "her" to breed with a female...or is she more female than male? I'm confused!!! Also, is it hereditary? Could she pass it on to her joeys?

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:11 PM

Wow that is so interesting! Learn something new every day.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing april!! I guess it would all depend if she has testicles, which is doesnt LOOK like she does from your pictures..

WOW!!! thats all i have to say.. I actually havent heard of ANY case of hermaphrodites in any pets!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:13 PM

Been waiting to see you post this Teresa … what an interesting find … I know you sent this to a few vets any interesting input form them?
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:14 PM

WOW!! I have never heard of that happening with a glider, but why not really, it has happened in many species so why not a glider? I am curious as to if sheor he?? lol could breed with a female as well? very interesting!
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:16 PM

I was thinking she may have testicles internally...maybe. I wouldn't think it would be possible, but then again...I didn't think a hermahrodite would be possible with a glider either.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: LindsayAnnG
I was wondering the same thing april!! I guess it would all depend if she has testicles, which is doesnt LOOK like she does from your pictures..

WOW!!! thats all i have to say.. I actually havent heard of ANY case of hermaphrodites in any pets!

Actually it happens in a lot of pets. Dogs, cats and I have seen quite a few in my life!!
T I am glad you posted this with pictures. It was a total shocker to me too!!! WOW!!!

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:35 PM

Generally hermaphrodites are sterile. The fact that she had a joey is amazing. I am going to discuss with Dr. Bradley about doing an ultrasound to check for testes because if she does have them, they are within her body cavity and pose a risk of developing tumors.

Spryte is with her forever mate Duncan and he got neutered this morning so no chance for any more joeys from her.

Besides, hemaphroditism is a definate genetic defect and not something I would risk by letting her breed.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing

Spryte is a Hermaphrodite.

My gf works for the Iowa LGBT task force and she wanted me to explain the correct terminology. Hermaphrodite is considered a negative word for people who are born with both female and male traits. What they are actually supposed to be called are intersexuals. This is the accepted word for people with both traits. I just wanted to share something I learned as well. She just started her internship for the task force and that is something they talked about. Wasn't meaning to correct anyone just wanted to share what i had just learned as well. I guess to intersexed individuals it is like calling a little person a midget. Who woulda known.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 10:17 PM

Actually, intersexed and hermaphrodites are two different things. There are also psuedohermaphrodites. (being a third thing).

Intersexed conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female.

This is where they might LOOK like a boy but have all the internal plumbing that a girl has (or the other way around) or they are unable to definitivly identify the different sex organs as being male or female.

Hermaphroditism is where they have BOTH male AND female parts. In Spryte's case, both a pouch and a penis. Only an ultrasound will determine if she has testicles or not. We know she has overies because she has already had one joey.

I also want to point out that I'm referring to a sugar glider, not a human. No offense is intended to any human.
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 10:33 PM

Teresa …. All the TERMs … my goodness … lol… well I think what Alia is saying that the PC term for people is intersexed …

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 10:39 PM

I understand that but they need to understand that there ARE different conditions not just one AND that I'm talking about an ANIMAL and trust me, Spryte isn't offended at all at being called a hermaphrodite. That is a scientific term and if it is not PC for HUMAN individuals, then I'm sorry.

I'm not going to get into an PC argument with anyone. The reason for this thread is to help educate people on an aspect of gliders that has not, to my knowledge, previously been documented with gliders.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 10:39 PM

wow. i couldnt believe it until i saw the picture.
the most important thing is that she is healthy. smile
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 10:48 PM

Guess the expression 'wow, you certainly don't see that every day' really applies here! Glad she is healthy and she and Duncan can happily live out their lives. But it certainly is interesting and unique!

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:24 PM

I'm sorry Dancing if you got offended which it sounded like you did. It may be the case that Spryte doesn't mind being called that. I was just sharing a bit of information about it in the same way you shared yours. My gf works for the LGBT community and that is the term they prefer be used, she even just made a pamphlet about it to hand out in schools.. It may be the case that animals are different. Whichever term you choose to use is up to you. But I wasn't meaning to offend you.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:26 PM

Okay to get this back on topic of Spryte, as this is what the thread is about.
Thank goodness she is healthy and has such a loving mate as Duncan.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:28 PM

All I can say is WOW! - What a very special, and very loved little one - guess she will be one for the medical books to want to know about! And I am sure she is going to have several vets really stumped too.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:35 PM

I would like to have some genetic testing done but two things stand in the way...

The first being money... DNA testing would be expensive I imagine, atleast at the level of looking at the chromosomes.

Two, it would require a blood draw and she is only a 64 gram glider to start with. Not enough weight to her to get a sufficient blood draw. (Duncan is just 68 grams so they are a good match).

I am going to see about the ultrasound to see if we can get a better "look" at what is going on internally with her.

Oh, and yes, since she has had a joey, I consider her a girl with a penis, not a boy with a pouch. However, if we discover testicles, I might have to reconsider it!
Posted By: JayAndDiana

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:37 PM

Wow Dancing!! I remember when she went through the tests and surgery with the joey.. That is something you need to see with your eyes to believe! thank you for sharing.. do keep us informed on her ultrasound results and what vets say..
Posted By: scraptilldawn

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/23/07 11:51 PM

Thanks so much for sharing Dancing this is truly incredible.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 07:32 AM

Last weds, Spryte had loose stools and it was while cleaning her up I discovered her extra parts.

Well, I was able to get her in today to see Dr. Bradley and it is BAD news.

I'm going to loose my little Spryte...

She has an enlarged liver and fluid in her abdomen cavity from unknown source. She went from 64 grams three days ago to just 58 grams today, which means she is going down hill. Dr. Bradley has NO idea what could be wrong with her and said it could be from her genetic issues (yes, she also confirmed that Spryte is hermaphroditic).

Basically I was given three options...

Put her down...

Love on her and spoil her and make her as comfortable as possible for the time I have left with her, be it a week, month or year...

Or exploratory surgery on the hopes that the problem can 1. be identified, 2. fixed and 3. that she would even survive surgery and the healing after.

I don't see surgery as an option. She is already fragil and since there isn't a definitive reason to do surgery, I don't want to put her through the surgery and the ecollar and pain.

She isn't in pain right now so I'm going to just love her and spoil her for the time I have left with her.
When the time comes, when she is in pain and the pain meds aren't helping, I will help her to the bridge.

Duncan is very very attached and bonded with Spryte. It breaks my heart to think of him loosing his girl. They are both very very special to me and I'm just really spinning with all that is happening right now.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 07:39 AM

Aw, T, I'm so sorry! hug2 hug2 Is it possible for them to maybe get some of the fluid through a small gague syringe to make her more comfortable, like when dogs have fluid around the lungs, without compromising her? Probably not, but it's all I can think of. I agree the sugery would be too much-Chronos was twice her weight and it still wasn't enough. I know too well the agony of knowing you're on borrowed time with one of your babies, and you love them all the more for it. Give extra loves to the both of them from me. heart

cry
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 08:15 AM

Quote:
Love on her and spoil her and make her as comfortable as possible for the time I have left with her, be it a week, month or year...

cry hug2

Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 10:17 AM

Oh Teresa, I'm so very sorry cry I know that you will make the right decision for her at the right time and will give her all the love and care in the meantime to let her know her little life has been well worth living. Lots of hugs & prayers coming your way hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 01:03 PM

Teresa I am very sorry. I remember what you went though for these guys and would do it again in a minute. Please know we are thinking of You, Spryte and Duncan.

Hugs

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 01:04 PM

hug2 hug2 cry Teresa, I am so so sorry to hear about Spryte. Sending prayers to Spryte, Duncan & you.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 02:14 PM

WOW! - that is amazing and to have PICS of it as well.

Well, you know what they always say "What you see in nature You will see in humans too" and this if proof for sure.
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 02:14 PM

hug2 hug2

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 02:20 PM

Teresa- you are in my thoughts and prayers and I admire you for wanting to take care of Spryte during this time. God definately made Spryte into a special glider and I am glad a special person was there to give her a loving home. mlove

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 02:21 PM

Sorry to hear of the bad news...... may her last days be in PeAce. hug2 heart hug2
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 02:46 PM

hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 03:02 PM

hug2 Teresa, I can't believe this! I am so sorry to hear this terriable news about Spryte! She knows that her mommy is going to do what's best for her. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.... heart
I'll call you later today. Please get some rest!

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 03:11 PM

hug2

Give her lots of love from all ove us! heart

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 10:27 PM

Teresa- hug2 so sorry to hear the follow up wasn't good news. Keep Loving and spoiling that lil girl to pieces and give Duncan a chin scratch from us!

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 10:37 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2 I'm so sorry, please give her and her little man lots of lovins! prayers being sent to all of you!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 10:39 PM

Oh, I am so very sorry to read this. Spoil them both like crazy. Prayers going out for all of you.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/28/07 11:52 PM

OH Teresa cry I'm so very very sorry to hear this. I know how important Spryte is to you & Duncan & how special she really is. Prayers coming to all of you that she stays feeling well & pain free for as long as she might have.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/29/07 01:10 AM

cry Teresa I'm so very sorry to hear this. hug2 hug2 hug2 Here's hugs for Spryte, you and Duncan. I hope the time she has left with you two will be pain-free and filled with lots of love. If I can do anything, please let me know.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/29/07 01:37 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Spryte. She knows that you love her and that is so important. Prayers to you, Spryte, and Duncan.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/29/07 02:59 AM

Teresa, I'm so very sorry to hear Spryte's checkup didn't go well cry She's in the very best hands, and I know you'll treasure each and every moment with her now and always hug2
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/29/07 05:11 AM

Teresa, I'm sorry so for you and Duncan. Spryte is a very special girl who certainly has a very special mommy. Sending lots of thoughts and hugs your way. hug2
Posted By: Crescent

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/30/07 12:35 AM

I am so sorry to hear. How difficult! Will pray for you and the little girl!
<<<<Huggs>>>> for both of you!!!
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/30/07 12:54 AM

Oh Teresa, I am so sorry! For all three of you. Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. hug2 cry

Anna

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/30/07 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SugarBlossoms
Quote:

cry hug2

or many many more
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/30/07 02:02 AM

sorry to hear cry

All that matters is she is LOVED!
....Love on her, Spoil her, and that's the best that can be done! hug2

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/30/07 03:45 AM

T, I'm so sorry to hear Spryte is so ill. Those darn livers! tant I wish we knew what does this (although in her case there's a good chance it's different from all the other gliders with liver problems)!

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/31/07 04:08 AM

Teresa, I just hate to hear the bad news about Spryte. It will be so difficult for you and Duncan, but you made the right choice and I know you will make every moment with her count. hug2
Posted By: BlndGrl8

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/31/07 04:15 AM

Oh Teresa I am so so sorry to hear about Spryte! hug2 I know you and Duncan will miss her tremendously. She knows how much you both love her and care for her so I know her last days here will be filled with happiness and love heart

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/31/07 05:43 PM

:hugs: I'm so sorry! I am glad to hear she is not in pain and can spend some more time enjoying the great life she's found! Spoil the heck out of her. Either way she will go in peace and you are giving that to her. :hug:
Posted By: USMom

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 08/31/07 10:58 PM

DON'T DO THE SURGERY! I'll call you later. Sending hugs your way. I love you girlie, give her a hug for me.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/01/07 12:21 AM

So sorry to hear this update. Love her like crazy and keep her comfy. Hugs to you all.
Posted By: Karin

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/04/07 04:03 AM

I am so happy she has you T hug2 . She is a special little one, that is for sure.

Karin

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 02:49 PM

I saw T on Saturday, and she told me that Spryte passed away while she was in the hospital. Both Teresa and Duncan miss her. She is considering introducing Duncan to a pair of joeys that she has as soon as they are a bit older so he won't be alone. I know they will all reunite one day at Rainbow Bridge.
gangel

heart hug2 to both Teresa & Duncan
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 02:52 PM

hug2 To both you and Duncan hug2

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:06 PM

hug2 I'm so sorry T!

You and Duncan are in my prayers!

Theresia
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:11 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss (& Duncan's too.) hug2 hug2
Posted By: tbull

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:35 PM

T, I'm so sorry for yours and Duncan's loss. hug2 hug2 hug2
I hope his intros go really smoothly so he is not alone for long.
Posted By: CritterHill

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:37 PM

hug2 hug2 I'm sorry T.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:39 PM

Teresa I am very sorry to hear you lost Spryte. Please give Duncan some extra lovin and mealies from us. hug2
And do not blame yourself for being in the hospital you needed to be there.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:40 PM

Oh, so sorry for your loss of little Spryte. I glad she had some time with you so she got a chance to "feel the love."

Did they do a necropsy? I'm thinking they could learn a lot from her, both because of her "unusual condition" as well as what was going on with her health otherwise and if it was related.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 04:47 PM

I just came across this post for the first time.
I went from being amazed...to being sad. cry
T - I am so sorry for your loss. mlove
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 05:06 PM

Teresa, I am so sorry for you and Duncan's loss. Hugs to the both of you.

Anna
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 05:32 PM

hug2 Teresa and Duncan... cry I am so so sorry!
Many blessings and prayers being sent your way! heart
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/10/07 11:08 PM

Teresa, I'm so sorry you lost Spryte hug2
Posted By: morksmom

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 12:23 AM

So sorry , but at least she is not suffering. hug2

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 06:23 AM

hug2
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 06:37 AM

cry hug2
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 03:58 PM

So sorry for your loss T hug2
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 07:57 PM

T, I'm so sorry. She KNEW she was loved, and she had the very best care, and that's what matters. hug2 hug2
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 08:14 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss you and Duncan are experiencing. cry Spryte knew how much you loved her, I'm sure of it. Hope all goes well with the intros when the joeys (and Duncan) are ready. And I'm sorry to hear about your recent illness as well. hug2 hug2

Thanks TracyLynn for the update.

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/11/07 10:05 PM

hug2 So sorry to hear this T hug2 You and Duncan are in our thoughts...
Posted By: Karin

Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! - 09/14/07 04:31 AM

hug2 I am sorry T hug2

Karin
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL