GliderCENTRAL

Leus are More Docile

Posted By: Anonymous

Leus are More Docile - 08/08/10 06:46 PM

I recently heard from someone that leus are more docile.

Anyone like to 'clarify'?

Fact, fiction, opinions?

I'm not sure how to feel about this....
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/08/10 07:55 PM

It depends. More docile compared to WHAT? LOL

I and many people I know are always joking about our Leus and how "wild" they are compared to other colors. We came to the conclusion it is probably because they have to hide, run, glide and be VERY fast to get away from predators since they are very easy to see.

My Abraham is a spazzed out little monkey! This boy can be in 5 places at ONE time without missing a beat! LOL

Of course, there are many Leus I'm sure that are "lap babies"!
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/08/10 08:04 PM

Of my leus, two of them (1M and 1F) are the sweetest, gentlest and most loving gliders. They are absolute perfection.

Another of mine is just a normal ol' glider. Not mean or spastic, but not a cuddle bug either.

Then I have two girls (unrelated and different ages) who are skittish, crabby, pouch protective, biting, moody little things.

So, my experience is that a leu can have any type of personality that any other color glider can have.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/08/10 08:37 PM

I do have to say that the 2 leu's that I have are a little more docile than some of my others. Now thats not to say that it's because of their color or what. But I have some very nice grey's, mo's and wf's too. So honestly in my opinion its inconclusive. LOL
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/08/10 11:49 PM

Very interesting theory though... Saying that a particular "color" is more docile than another, it would probably just go back to genetics and not specifically linked to the color gene. You know like breeding a dog or a horse for good temperament. Then it just gets passed down from generation to generation...

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/09/10 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
...a leu can have any type of personality that any other color glider can have.

My thoughts exactly Val! My Merlin (leu) is a busy busy BUSY boy! Has been since he OOPed apparently since his original human mommy (Alicia aka Queenduck) originally named him Evil Knevil! LOL
Posted By: tjlong

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/09/10 01:33 AM

My leus are both pretty sweet. One is from my wfb pair, Bo and Bianca. The majority of their babies are super sweet. I have one of their boys, Lenny who is wfb and a love as well. Damiana has Kisuke from Bo and Bianca. He is wfb and a sweetie too.

My other leu is Ivory and originally was Stitchsmom's. She is sweet but pretty busy.

I think it would be more fair to say that certain parents have sweet babies. So maybe the calmness runs in families? I don't know, could also be that kids are kids and they all have different personalities!

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/09/10 04:07 AM

It was something I heard recently and my first thought was 'no... they're personalities vary based off of other factors, but color certainly is not it.

Just wanted input. smile
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/10/10 05:00 PM

Like with other gliders/colors, I think personality is just personality and not related to color genetics.

My 2 leus, 1 male & 1 female. Coda the boy, he's adventurous when he wants to be and he's also a lap/shoulder boy when he wants to be. Maia my girl, she was very adventurous when she first came home but I've noticed as she matures and has come to get to know me, she's not so adventurous or as vocal. So in my experiences with my 2, it's just their personalities and with mine they have changed as they mature.
Posted By: tacasper

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/10/10 11:10 PM

They all have their own unique personalities. My breeding leus have produced some super sweet and cuddly joeys and some have been a little more crabby and needed more attention.

I have heard from bigger breeders that they have noticed certain personalities associated with certain lines. For instance leucistics are commonly sweet and cuddly, but also very playful. Creme-inos are very docile and cuddly. Platinums are often crabby. Of course that's just what I've heard from some of the bigger breeders who have had a lot of experience with the lines.
Posted By: carolinasuggies

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/10/10 11:58 PM

I have 2 lue's 1 male and 1 female and my female was pure EVIL up until about a month ago but my male has been a cuddle bug since day one! smile
Posted By: tlkngfethrs1

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 12:24 AM

LOL.. I had to roflmao when I saw the head line!

Do not get me wrong.. I LOVE my Sassy Girl, BUT she is a little pin ball with teeth and claws!!!
She is non stop hyper, moody and SHE IS the boss, just ask her.. if there is any question on her being boss she will bite you to set you straight..lol..
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 12:52 AM

My leu is very sweet and loves just about anyone he comes in contact with. I do not see him acting differently than other gliders other than he desires more human contact than the others and he is not afraid to venture down the shirt of anyone new. At gatherings he ventures around the room from person to person making his way down shirts, men....women, he does not care. He is pretty promiscious in sorts when it comes to making friends. He is my only glider I have that is this friendly. When I got him he was 8 weeks OOP, the bahavior started that very day. I also had to force him to glider, had to teach him because all he wanted in life was to be down my shirt. He has had clumsy moments like any of my other gliders, he is just much more loving and affectionate than most any glider I have ever seen. More like what you would expect from a hand raised joey.
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 12:52 AM

Some of my Leus are really laid back, and some of them are nuts! LOL
Posted By: sugarhut

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 12:58 AM

LOL!!!! My leu Sukie is the same way she thinks she is the boss and she's going to show you every time. Teeth and all!!!!
Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 01:37 AM

Idk about leus, but I've heard the creme-inos are exceptionally sweet. smile

Although we have two 100% leu hets and they are the sweetest gliders here.
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/11/10 01:48 AM

Just got my first leu last week... and he is the most wonderful calm sweet boy I have ever seen... but maybe that is just because he is a Roya baby?
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/14/10 05:13 PM

I have one that is nosy. She has to see what is going on if she is out. She will ride on me but not in my shirt. She is afraid she will miss something.

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/14/10 06:09 PM

One of my friends has a leu. We think he's possesed. She's had him for a while now and he's still psycho. I told her if his head starts spinning around it's time to call a priest! LoL!

Every glider is diferent just as every human is diferent. Color doesn't have anything to do with personality. A lot of factors go into the personality of a glider.
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/16/10 08:42 PM

brandi, I agree with you. A lot of factors go into the personality of a glider, as with any living being. From it's genetics to it's upbringing and it's lifestyle.
Posted By: Glider_Invasion

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/17/10 07:49 PM

I agree with SO many factors involved. I think the breeder holding it those first 8 wks (a little more as it gets a little older) are the most important.
But then, they can change from household to household. Hectic to quiet or vise versa. Their personalities are formed by their parents but development is started by breeder (tamed or not). But even that can be changed by amount of care & time spent with them or not spent with them, by new parent/s.
BUT, as with all living things, everything changes with time. Gliders do also. Earlier in breeding, Some gliders that I have thought will never trust me, took 2 yrs then boom, all of a sudden!
As breeding can affect them quickly,(new girl in town & boys act like goofs). (but nothing new there wink A new joey, a new neighbor, changing cage/location/environment, change of enrichment both/either diet and exercise, to mention a few, can all change the life and form the personalities of our babies.
Then again, could be, that because of difference/higher cost, leu babies could just be held more from birth.
My lues are from extra sweet lines and that does matter! But does not 'always' come into play.(must admit-..Rarely smile
So yes, I believe good 'lines' are a big factor. Breeders involvement, and amount of unconditional love by new parents, all a must. But colors-No.
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Leus are More Docile - 08/18/10 02:48 AM

agree I think that the parents temperment and the amount of time the breeder spends with them in the first 8-10 week oop is more of a factor than color.

Re: Leus are More Docile - 01/20/11 12:20 AM

I think that SugarBlossoms' theory about being more noticeable is great, but in the wild, it would be VERY rare for a real leucistic glider to be born. I think (like many others) that it really depends on the glider itself.
Posted By: kelii

Re: Leus are More Docile - 01/20/11 01:18 AM

My leu is the sweetest glider EVER, but he's very very hyper.
Posted By: Skye12191

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/03/11 03:36 PM

I dont think my leus are sweeter than my other gliders because they are all sweet but it seemed to me like they were easier to bond with.
Posted By: Judie

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/03/11 05:04 PM

Sugar Gliders that are easier to bond with.... is a trait that a good breeder strives for during selection of the parents befor producing offspring.

So Jess, since you have five leus and other gliders that came from me... the credit then goes to me as to their temperment as this is one of the qualities I strive for when breeding my gliders.
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/03/11 05:36 PM

Good post Judie! thumb
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/03/11 06:44 PM

Judie, I know the credit for Dixie goes to you. She was the sweetest little thing when I got her from you all those many years ago and she is still the sweetest little thing today. She's over 11 years old and just keeps getting sweeter all the time.
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/04/11 12:19 AM

I have two adult leus. Both are males and they are 2 of my calmest and sweetest gliders. Abercrombie and Preston. I have a new baby boy that was just out of pouch on Monday. Ask me in a few weeks what his personality is. I just can't tell you yet.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my boys.
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/04/11 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Judie
Sugar Gliders that are easier to bond with.... is a trait that a good breeder strives for during selection of the parents befor producing offspring.

So Jess, since you have five leus and other gliders that came from me... the credit then goes to me as to their temperment as this is one of the qualities I strive for when breeding my gliders.

Here, here.

My new leu baby's father is from Judie. He's a normal het named Twinkie and he is as wonderful as can be.

Thank you Judie. You have some very wonderful gliders.

Re: Leus are More Docile - 02/26/11 04:19 AM

Ooooo, IDK about this one... I've had a leu that was the worst behaved little demon I've ever had. I think its all about breeding, handling, and individual temperament.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL