GliderCENTRAL

Bad intro, HELP please. :(

Posted By: Rieshu

Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/10/07 11:05 PM

So my boyfriend and I introduced the two glider's last night. At first they didn't really seem to interact with eachother but then my current glider found the baby. (The baby is actually bigger than the baby) They looked at eachother for a while then my current glider lunged at her. There was crabbing, I don't know who did it. Then my glider started to chase her and I stopped her. From then on my glider lunged and tried to claw at the baby every time they got face to face frown

They met in the closet but thats the room where their cages are kept. I took the cages out. Should we try another intro but in the bathroom this time? Please help. I've been switching pouches and cages next to eachother, etc.

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/10/07 11:11 PM

Oh, My current glider would also do this thing where she would bring her tail almost straight up into the air. I don't know if that means anything but it seemed like weird behavior to me.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/10/07 11:22 PM

I would give them a break for a night and then try again. The bathroom might be better, since it's not as enclosed as a closet. Just make sure that they "do not bawl up together" if you see that it is heading that way, separate them right away. Make sure your bathroom is "suggie proof" no soaps, chemicals, toilet lids closed, drains, or any holes that they can crawl thru. Check to make sure there is not a large gap underneath the door also.
When they lift their tails up and wiggle them it's a sign of "caution" or they are just sending signals to one another. Have you had a chance to read any of the links to our introductions - if not here are a few that might help with understanding more about what to expect and do.
Introducing Gliders
Introducing Two Gliders

Wishing you all the luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/11/07 04:59 AM

Well, we tried again tonight. Same thing. Anytime they got face to face, Kyuubi (current glider) would lung and bite. She nipped her foot and grabbed her tail. She's not hurt and no blood. Eventually the baby would just start crabbing whenever she got near. My boyfriend cupped his hands and Kyuubi got on her back and started grooming. (She loves this) I then let the new glider stand on the outside of his hands. The new glider started to groom my current glider's head. But even after many minutes of the cute, nice moment, Kyuubi bit her foot when she wasn't looking. Any tips besides the standard stuff? I've read all the links.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/11/07 05:32 AM

I think the main thing is to pick a very neutral place to introduce. Have you done all the pouch/toy swapping? Putting cages side by side but not close enough so they can get touch each other?

When I did my introductions recently, I used the bathtub. It didnt belong to any of them and I could see their every move and grab them if necessary.

Another thing you might try is to put each of them in a separate bonding pouch and "wear" them around your neck while they are sleeping. Its another way they can pick up on each other's scent.

Take a few deep breaths and dont give up. This can sometimes take awhile and can be very discouragine...

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/11/07 05:11 PM

I tried the bathtub. I couldn't get them to stay in there for the life of me. They'd jump out. I put the curtain in there thinking they would slide down but somehow they climbed up it. Then they'd get on me, run up my arms and on my back where i couldn't get them. It was a nightmare. lol

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/11/07 05:22 PM

Tilly and Tosca did the same thing to me. LOL! I just kept putting them right back in the tub. Poor little things, I know it confused them and hurt their little feelings.

The thing that was most helpful to me was putting one sleeping pouch in the tub and they all gravitated to it. Boy - did I ever hold my breath when all 3 went in there at the same time!!! I did this for about a week. When I got comfortable with them in the pouch together (in the tub only) - that's when I put a plate of mealies in the tub with them. And they all shared like little ladies. Whew!!! Didnt know how that would go either!!! None of this happened quickly!!!

Then I put Tilly and Tosca in a bonding pouch and put Weasel in their cage so she could freely explore and play. That went on for a few days... It was a long and drawn out process - everynigt!

Oh, yes!!! It was very frustrating at times. I fully understand how you are feeling. Just dont give up!
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 11/11/07 05:32 PM

I'd give them at least a couple nights break from the face to face introductions and just keep pouch swapping. You really can't force these things along. You have to go slow and have patience or they may never get along. Just don't get too discouraged if it's taking a long time for them to get along.

Yeah...I'd stick to the bathtub. The closet probably isn't a good idea since it isn't a neutral area. Did you try putting some treats in the tub with them to try and keep them in there?

You could try dabbing a little vanilla on the tip of their noses.

NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:07 PM

I have both my gliders in seperate pouches. Kyuubi (The oler one that attacks my new baby) Keeps trying to go into the other pouch with her and the baby keeps on crabbing every time she gets close. Should I let Kyuubi climb in the pouch with the baby???
Posted By: Kitkatt1216

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:13 PM

If she has been attacking her no! What have you done to intro. these two and how exactly has the baby been attacked?? More info. would make it easier to help.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:16 PM

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=414759#Post414759

Here is the story

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:26 PM

No! I wouldn't let her climb into the pouch. Expecially if they've been fighting. Just remember to take things slow and DON'T push them to get along!
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:26 PM

I think you need to seperate them and take intros very slowly. It is clear they are having issues, and the older one may take quite some time to get used to her.

It would be best to put them in cages side by side. Do toy swapping, pouch swapping, then even cage swapping. Try having supervised play time together eventually. See how it goes for a while, and after you have had several sucessful playtimes without the issues, then it would be safe to try caging them together again.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/12/07 10:31 PM

They're not in a cage, they're on my lap. I've been doing all the steps. Right now the older one is sniffing the outside of the pouch and sorta nibbling on it but im not letting her in.
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 06:58 AM

Ok...Sorry to jump to conclusions...lol...keep taking it slow as you are doing...when they get along...you will know they are ready to be friends...until then, just be patient.

Also...if one is going into another one's pouch...it may cause the pouch owner to become protective as that is their space. Just a thought.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 01:11 PM

I didn't let her go inside. I did put the pouches close together so they could feel eachother and they both just groomed themselves and slept. Last night, I took Kyuubi out of her cage and let her play in the tent. Then I took Chidori (the baby) and put her in Kyuubi's cage while she was gone. The baby played with all the toys for a while before I put her in the tent and put Kyuubi back in her cage.

When Kyuubi got into her cage she started to rub herself all over the bars of the cage where the baby was. Both are female... was she trying to scent her cage?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 01:19 PM

Yeah, she was. I don't know if it was such a good idea to do that. Since they aren't getting along, Kyuubi is left with thinking "a stranger was in my territory and it was that other stupid glider." You know how animals can get when it comes to other animals of the same species being in their territory...even if they aren't there anymore. Just...try not to force Kyuubi to accept Chidori. I really think you should stop with the face to face introductions for at least a week if they still aren't getting along because if they are fighting and you try to do face to face introductions every night, that is not going to help them any. They won't magically get along after the 4th night of seeing eachother. And if they do, be ready to seperate them if they fight. You just have to do things slowly. =/

How long have you been pouch swapping for? I noticed that you got Chidori around 10/25 and you started introductions around 11/10. That's really not a long enough time of pouch swapping, at least I think so. (That would be about 2 weeks...) But you probably didn't start pouch swapping until you've had Chidori for at least a week, yes? Still, that's not a lot of time. I still strongly suggest you slow things down and don't push them anymore.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 01:32 PM

I just thought maybe her having her scent in her cage would help. I have their cages close together. Should I move them away? I'll keep doing pouch swapping, and not do anything else.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 01:57 PM

I don't think their cages being near eachother will hurt since they've already met and all that. It's just kind of tricky introducing gliders because if they are introduced wrong or pushed, they might just keep fighting and not fully get along.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 02:23 PM

How long should I wait until I introduce them again? and is the only thing I can do is switch their pouches?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 02:25 PM

I have an older glider, about 6 months old now, and we just bought a baby (she was way too young when we got her, which I didn't know). She's probably 7 weeks old now. Last week we tried to introduce the two, and he grabbed her hard and she really yelled at him.

After some research, I found that introducing them when there is such a size difference isn't the best idea. So, since I haven't tried.

What I do is allow the older glider (Spaz) to play in my room while the baby (Sweetie) is in her cage. They love it. They follow each other around the cage (one inside and one outside) licking each other, etc. She will even eat a little food and allow him to lick it off her face.

Also having her see how the older glider interacts with us has helped with her trusting us when we let her out of the cage. They had a really long play session last night, and this morning she came out of the cage and was all over us. First time ever. She also was a lot gutsier with what she would try to climb on in the room. After all, if Spaz can do it, she can too.

She also doesn't bark at night when they've had this contact.

I'm not going to put them together until she gets bigger, but it seems to be going well now. Both seem much happier just having this contact.

I hope that helps.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 02:46 PM

So you let the older one play in the room with the baby in the cage?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/13/07 02:57 PM

Yep, and they both love it. I'm fairly confident they'll get along when we put them together. I will be putting them both in a new cage with some toys from both of their cages and some new stuff as well.

Right now Spaz is still almost twice her size.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/14/07 07:41 PM

So I haven't let the gliders meet face to face again. But I've been taking them out in two SEPERATE bonding pouches. Kyuubi (older one) goes insane once she knows that the baby is nearby and she stops at nothing at getting out of her pouch and trying to get into the Chidori's (the baby) So much that I had to put her back in the cage. She'd also bite my fingers a little when I tried to block her. So I put her in the cage and the baby poped her head out of the other pouch and my older glider started to try to reach her hand through the bars to get her. frown Is my older glider going crazy? Is she really this vicious? I never ever thought in my life my sweet Kyuubi would hate the friend I bought for her...Is this making her unhappy?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/14/07 10:58 PM

I would just be patient. It doesn't mean they won't get along. Slowly let the "idea" of the new glider sink it. When they are closer to the same size (if they aren't), I'd try getting them together then. You have a lot less chance of the older one hurting the younger one. I've read a lot about this subject. Putting our two gliders together is weighing heavily on me. We are so attached to both gliders, and I want them to get along. But I know not to rush it or assume anything.

Let me know how it goes. It's going to be awhile before I get my two together permanently.

Take Care.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/15/07 12:01 AM

What I'm scared of is that the baby is BIGGER than me 2 year old glider. I have a feeling that the baby is going to be normal size. She's only going to get bigger but maybe its for the best, Maybe Kyuubi will stop attacking her when shes giant.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/17/07 06:27 AM

Well, I tried having one in the cage and the other running around. I had the baby loose and I feel so bad for her. She stood on the other side of the bars and started to sqeek, as if to talk to my older glider, and sniffed close. My older glider was as mean as ever, biting and trying to swipe at her through the cage bars. frown Has anyone had gliders attacking one another in intros and turned out sucessful? I need encouragement.
Posted By: USMom

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/17/07 06:44 AM

Rieshu, I have done intro's many times. Have you had them out together where they could touch each other? I think a lot of times the gliders get excited and do things that scare us, then when they are face to face in the open it turns out okay.
Intro tips for mom:
Have a travel cage in the room with the door open--if there is a fight, you can grab one, and pop it into the cage, close the cage door and then worry about the second glider.
Have several LARGE fleece blankets handy for grabbing gliders in case of a fight.
Bring treats and a camera.
Take a deep breath and watch and see. I never push them to come out of their pouches, I don't push them to each other, I learned to let them go at their own pace.

Good luck!

**Edited to add--I couldn't see all of the posts above the last 4 a few minutes ago.
If they are biting each other, that is not good. I'd keep up with the toy swapping and keep each other in the same room. Leave off the intros for a couple more weeks.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/17/07 03:36 PM

Yeah, I had them face to face and Kyuubi kept trying to bite her in the face. frown Just keep doing what I have been? Their cages were side by side again last night. I switched their pouches before bed too. Kyuubi seems to hate the new baby so much. It seems impossible that she'll just change her mind.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:25 PM

Anyone? frown *needs a hug*
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:32 PM

The biting the face is showing dominance. Did it leave any marks?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:35 PM

She has no cuts or bite marks. No blood either. Chidori is pretty fast, I'm glad she hasn't gotten hurt. I'm scared to let them meet face to face again without a cage in the way.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:38 PM

I would give it a wk or two, for your nerves and the little one's. Take USmom's advice.

Do you have a tent that neither glider has been in? A neutral territory would be really good for this situation.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:42 PM

We did both the bathroom and the bath tub where neither have ever been. Both of them ran around and explored and completly ignored eachother but each time they ran into eachother Kyuubi attacked until Chidori ran away. The baby is just friendly and curious. Kyuubi could definately be the dominate one. The baby even groomed the back of her head and neck for a little bit before Kyuubi tried to bite again.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:45 PM

I sent you a pm.
Posted By: saturngirl

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:57 PM

I wish I could help you but I'm going thru bad intros myself. sorry

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:58 PM

Bad intros? I didnt know that! Pm with the info and I'll try to help, for some reason I'm kinda good at it.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/19/07 03:58 PM

hug2 Good luck. I hope they get along eventually.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 07:46 PM

I have both the gliders out again in seperate bonding pouches and they are trying so hard to get into eachothers pouches. What do i do? they're hyper and not sleepy at all.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 07:59 PM

I would try and put them in the same pouch and see what happens. They might just settle down and go to sleep. Of course if they act like they are not going to get along I would seperate them right away.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 08:01 PM

Kyuubi bit chidori through the pouch and the baby crabbed. >< do you think I should just let them go in together?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 08:03 PM

If he is still trying to attack him than no! That's not such a good idea.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 08:03 PM

I also just put some vanellia stuff on them to help. frown

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 09:01 PM

I put them in the bathtub together, they came out of their pouches and balled up but all the biting was done by the older one. Got my arms all scratched... I'm almost in tears
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/20/07 09:42 PM

Hang in there hug2 Give them both a break. No more face to face intros for the next week...but keep switching pouches and toys.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/21/07 03:02 AM

That vanellia is safe for them right? I might have put a little much. They kept trying to lick it off themselves lol
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/21/07 03:14 AM

Yes...vanilla is safe thumb
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/21/07 04:02 AM

I'd be really careful about them licking it - it has a rather high alcohol content (pure vanilla extract I have here is 62%, imitation is still 35% shock )

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 11/27/07 01:44 PM

Update for anyone that is following. It is still not going well but there was a lot of noise last night! But it was a lot of really LOUD hissing sounds and sometime it was a hiss that lead into a bark. Also, Kyuubi started to chatter I think. Moving her mouth and making a smacking noise.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 07:28 PM

Ive waited about two weeks with no intros. Just pouch switching and keeping cages close. Should i try intros again?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 07:48 PM

Rieshu I am so sorry your going thru this.....unfortunatly so am I I have done everything that I have ever read about(well except for one website I wont go into) LOL but mine just flat out HATE each other last night they were boxing thru the cage at each other I thought it would get better, they have had their cages side by side since day one and I think its getting worse!!! I think they just rub each other the wrong way. I cant even put them in the tent together they fight on me. please if you find something that I havent done let me know good luck to you TRUST ME I know how frustrating this can be.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 08:26 PM

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through the same thing Holly. I've been following all websites as well and I'm not having any luck at all. People say it might take time but its breaking my heart!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 08:47 PM

Have you tried letting them spend a night in each others cage?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 08:55 PM

I was letting the baby play in the other's cage but then when i switched them back my female started trying to rub herself all over the cage to scent it. Someone said it wasn't a good idea about of teritorial or something. Do you think I should try it?
Posted By: Xglider

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 08:57 PM

when i last did intos i let them spend the entire night in each others cage ... that really mixes up the scents ... just another idea if you have not tried that yet...

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/04/07 08:58 PM

I'll be sure to do that then! Thank you

I've given up. - 12/09/07 06:24 PM

I think I'm going to be a re-home. I waited 2 weeks without intros, just pouch switching and cage switching. Every single night she tries to attack her through the bars. Today we finally did another intro and this time they balled up. Idiot me forgot the fleece towel and when I pulled them apart my older one instead of biting the baby bit me and broke my skin. I can only imagine if she had bit the baby that hard and not me.

She hates her with such a passion. I don't think they will ever get along with how vicisious the attacks are. I might just have to find the baby a new home. She is so friendly to my older one and wants a friend so bad. She'd be a lone glider at my house and I feel so bad. I think I'll be posting in the classifies very soon. frown

Re: I've given up. - 12/09/07 06:39 PM

Aww. frown I'm sorry that things didn't work out. >.< I was rooting that they would work out too! frown

You could always try getting her a buddy and having her and the other one in one cage and the older one in another. If you really wanted 3 gliders, that is. ^^

Re: I've given up. - 12/09/07 07:13 PM

I have had VERY good success with intros - here is what I do:

1) Put both parties in a tent , take them out of their pouches, and lay the empty pouches with openings facing each other in the center of the tent.

2) Upon the first face to face contact, there will usually be a crab and lunge, so I cover them both with fleece before they make physical contact and seperate them.

3) After the initial contact, they seem to avoid each other (no more worries about aggression) and they will stay at one side of the tent or the other. After about 15 minutes, curiosity gets the best of them, and they will sniff around each other, not getting too close.

4) I put some treats in the middle of the tent, that both of them cannot resist. Crickets, dried papaya, meal worms, an extra dish of BML works great. They should both start to eat together. Let them eat and socialize for a while. While they are eating, remove their old pouches and put in a clean pouch.

5) After they eat, they will be tired (if you do this during the day) and will usually both head for the pouch together and start grooming each other.

6) If this does not happen on first attempt, repeat daily until they go in together. After they go into one pouch on their own, I usually supervise them closely for 24 hours.

7) Done!

Good luck laugh Again, I cannot stress enough that all of my intros have worked great like this, but don't forget quarantine or vet health check-ups for both before you introduce them.

Posted By: saturngirl

Re: I've given up. - 12/09/07 07:30 PM

It sounds like your suggie is like my Sophie. Sophie attacks Cooper no matter what I do. I was at suggiemom's house yesterday with Cooper and Sophie and we tried intros with them...no luck. suggiemom has never seen a suggie that aggressive before. One of suggiemom's girl suggies went right in Cooper's bonding pouch with him and it was the CUTEST thing ever. They just loved on each other for hours. Anyway Sophie wouldn't take to any other glider either. I really don't believe that she's ever going to bond w/another suggie???

Re: I've given up. - 12/09/07 07:49 PM

Rieshu, dont' feel bad. I've been in the exact same situation as you before. We tried to introduce a new glider to my other two and they simply HATED HER. We tried it slow, we tried pouch swapping, toy swapping, cage swapping, vanilla, all sorts of neutral territories, spent months, etc. and they STILL HATED EACHOTHER and it actually NEVER WORKED OUT.

We were actually going to find Zoey a new home because we just realized they were NEVER going to like her and we didn't want her to be a lone glider.

Well, we ended up getting a 4th GLIDER to be Zoey's buddy. Thank God they get along fine, and now we have two duos...they just can't play together at all, we have to have 2 separate playtimes a night. It's quite a pain.

Anyways, long story short, don't blame yourself. Gliders are extremely territorial creatures by nature. In captivity, sometimes we try to combine animals and make our own colonies and they just don't like eachother for whatever reason, and it's not our fault. In nature, too, your glider would like some gliders, and chase others away like mad. I would have to say though at this point it does sound like you've tried everything and in my personal opinion, I'm not sure you're going to convince that older glider to be pals with the baby. I think her mind may be made up.

I think you are doing what is best for both your gliders if you rehome your older glider and find a new buddy for your baby, perhaps one closer to her age. (The baby is a female, right? Maybe a young neutered male?) Or I guess you could go for the quad like us, but it's quite a committment! Againn, remember, this is not your fault. You are trying your best and it's just not working out.

Hugs to you hug2 and feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Re: I've given up. - 12/09/07 08:09 PM

Saturngirl,

If you ever get up to North Carolina in my area - bring the suggies by! I would love to help you work with them smile

Re: I've given up. - 12/10/07 12:26 AM

I don't think I will be getting another one. The degree of hate is overwhelming.. and its so weird. She was desprate to attack her through the cage so much that she almost made her own nose bleed from trying to push it through the bars. When I Psssttt or say her name its like she snaps out of it and looks at me, then looks back and trys to attack. Today when I grabbed her she bit me so hard but i still held her away from the baby and once she noticed it was my finger and not the other glider she licked it and curled up in my hand.

She seems to want to be alone no matter what. The baby has never bitten her back, she only lays there and gets attacked.

Re: I've given up. - 12/10/07 07:28 AM

Well, I just mean to consider getting one for your other baby to have a buddy. From my experience, they really are happier with a friend.

It can be shocking how mean they can be, right? My female Tanooki turned into a biting, nasty, horrific little witch whenever we were doing intros...she would bite me and just be rotten, it was so tough.

Amazingly though, Zoey took to Zeus instantly and they never had any problems. And now everybody is back to normal. It's not that your older glider is "mean" or a "bad animal." It's just her nature as a glider, and with a different glider, she might be totally laid-back...this is why I agree you are wise to rehome her. In a different situation, she may be just fine.

That being said, it's always risky trying a new glider for your baby. It may work out great, or it might be more biting and craziness. I hope you will reconsider maybe trying another joey though to see if you can find a buddy to make your baby happy. It's been so rewarding to see Zoey happy when we brought Zeus home. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide hug2
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: I've given up. - 12/10/07 08:33 AM

There are some gliders that will simply NEVER accept another glider as a friend. Period. Since you are having serious issues with your older girl, personally, I would spend a lot of time with her and look into finding a little friend for the new baby. The baby sounds very sweet and shouldn't go through this any longer. She could end up with a wound or worse.

Your older one is stressing out. She may only accept YOU as her "mate for life".

Xfilefan (Jen) has a glider that will not accept any other glider at all. To Riker, Jen is his life.

I am currently going through the same thing with one of my gliders. I've been ill for some time now and not able to attempt another bond. If Oliver doesn't accept Olivia again..I will give up and put her with my other 2 girls. Oliver will get more one on one mommy time in my bra. (lol)

Since you have 2 cages, why would you need to rehome the baby? That could cause major stress to her if she is bonded to you. Gliders give unconditional love to us.

Instead of trying to introduce them as buddies, play with them seperate and YOU will have 2 buddies. (then a friend might come along for the baby) smile

Re: I've given up. - 12/10/07 01:17 PM

I really want to be honest with myself and say that: I can not handle 3 gliders. That and: IF the baby and a new baby didn't get along and all three had to be seperate i DEFINATELY couldn't handle it. The second cage is not near as big as my other one. It's a little less than half the size and it is actually my older glider's travel cage for when we go overnight to my boyfriend's house. (She spends most of the night playing in the walkin closet and only goes into that cage for the day-time.

I think Kyuubi-chan is a glider that isn't going to ever accept another one. She reminds me of my dog Zena. We got a new dog (a big great dane and zena is a pitbull) and we've had Sweeie for a year and to this day, Zena wears a muzzle around the house because she wont accept Sweetie and will kill her if she has the chance. You would think after a year of sleeping in the same house, living together for a year she would get used to it or give up, nope. I think Kyuubi-chan is going to be the same way.
Posted By: melek007

Re: I've given up. - 12/10/07 02:09 PM

The hissing and chattering you mentioned in a previous post is a very good thing! thumb When I did face to face intros, Levent accepted Alev pretty much from the start. My two females on the other hand took months. Nese didn't like Alev, let me tell you, it was stressful! There was a lot of tension, and then Nese would snap... they balled up at least half the times they met. I got the silly pair to be friends for Alev, not terrorize her! We seldom did face to face intros between the girls, but kept up just about everything else. Eventually, it was like Nese just decided to get along with her. They've become very good friends!

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 12/16/07 07:58 PM

So, about a week ago I had given up on the two of them. I took the baby's cage away from my older one and put her on the other side of the room so that she wouldn't be stressed out anymore with my older one trying to attack her through the bars. Once I went to sleep ALL NIGHT I heard the loudest kissing. It was weird it would go: Tttsssstt, tssst, tsssttttbark. I'm pretty sure it was my older one. In the middle of the night I put their cages back together and ever since theres been a lot of noise. Lots of hissing. Was she in any way calling for the baby I removed?

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 12/16/07 08:09 PM

She might have been. I hope it was the older one making the noises! laugh Those are really good noises so maybe she's almost ready to finally accept the baby. ^-^ I hope so at least.

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( - 12/16/07 09:50 PM

What would be the best thing for me to do the next time I introduce them face to face? Together, in the day time, in the bathtub with their pouches together? Out of pouches? Together during regular play time? I'm almost postive the bark was the older one's.
Posted By: CSteele

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/16/07 10:36 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2

I hope things go well for you and your little ones.
I am starting to get nervous...my two girls and my two boys will soon be introduced frown
Posted By: melek007

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? - 12/16/07 11:36 PM

During the day in a neutral location is best (I speak from experience). Remember, gliders need time to adjust to new things; how long depends on the individual.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL