GliderCENTRAL

How long can you wait to replace a cage mate after death?

Posted By: Anonymous

How long can you wait to replace a cage mate after death? - 10/11/20 11:15 PM

My pair of gliders Albie and Sugar I have had for 5 years. Sugar died 3 nights ago. Albie has been going around the cage from each pouch and hiding spot all night long looking for Sugar. This is so far the only concerning behavior he has exhibited. He is eating well and not over grooming. If anything he has stopped grooming and his scent is a bit overwhelming with his smell. Unfortunately I won't have the money to buy a new cage mate for about 3 weeks. My big question is, is it safe to wait that long? I believe it will be more stressful for him to adjust to a new home than wait for a new cage mate. He is very attached to us and I think he will feel that loss at the same time even greater.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How long can you wait to replace a cage mate after death? - 10/11/20 11:28 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

It's not necessary to replace a cage mate right away but in the meantime you should try to give him a little more attention and give him a few extra things to do. Foraging toys, extra blankies (cut fleece squares 4" x 4" is a good size) in his sleeping pouch to snuggle with, and just watch play with him.

He may need a vet visit too to make sure he's OK.

Please register so we know it's you and can help you through this. Thank you.
Posted By: Feather

Re: How long can you wait to replace a cage mate after death? - 10/11/20 11:41 PM

I agree with Dawn. I also suggest a wellness visit for your boy.

Iam very sorry for your loss.
Please take a moment to register so you have full use of the forum.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: How long can you wait to replace a cage mate after death? - 10/12/20 02:09 PM

I agree with all the advice you have been given.

Please take a few moments to register in order that you may take full advantage of the message board and post in all forums.

I am going to move this thread to our Help, I'm New Forum where you will still be able to post, however, beyond that area you will need to be registered.

We look forward to hearing more from you and especially about your Little Albie is doing since his friend Sugar passed.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL