GliderCENTRAL

Help with my new girl.

Posted By: Misti

Help with my new girl. - 08/11/19 07:38 AM

I did not realize this was a new parent firm so a bit ago I posted a concern that my new girl was acting strange. Thanks to hood advice I just wanted it out and she is ok now.:).

Just a bit of back story so you understand why I’m so fussy, she has only 3 legs due to an infected wound on her leg when she was just 6 weeks old. She had to have the leg amputated and then wear a cone because she chewed out the first set of stitches. I know she has been through so much already and I’m trying very hard not to upset her more especially while I have her all to myself. Her cage mate will not be coming home with us until the end of August because the vet could not get him in for neuter until then.

I do have new concern that I can’t find any information about wether or not it is bad to pick up my new glider with my hands. All of the information I found about bonding says give it time, be patient and such and I am doing all of that as well as I take her pouch from the cage and give her lickey treats then lots of pets while she sleeps in her pouch in my lap. I talk to her a lot when I’m in the room with her and when I’m cleaning and rearranging her cage. She doesn’t crab at me when I pet her and as long as I don’t jostle her when I pull out her pouch. But I have not picked her up with my hands since I first bought her home 3 weeks ago. She bit me, not hard but it was obvious she did not want me to grab her so I don’t. I know that every interaction with these sweet babies you are either earning or burning trust so I’m trying not to burn it. But I am now worried that if given the option she will never let me pick her up and if I don’t male it a habit now I will pay the price for it later. I read everything here I could about bonding but there is nothing specific about wether It matters if I pick them up by hand or not. It might not matter once she is bonded to me but I don’t know...

Please help
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Help with my new girl. - 08/11/19 08:28 AM

All four of my gliders do not like to be held (at least not yet) but they are slowly getting used to me picking them up. Sometimes they nip a bit but that is going down in frequency. I try to slow down if they look skittish or nip but I do not stop. I go by the advice that if you stop doing something if they bite you are training them to bite whenever they want you to stop. It still try to hand train every so often but no luck and I am content that they see me as safe to climb on and are okay with being petted while they are on me.

Are you putting a blanket and/or a shirt with your scent on it on the cage or in the pouch? Do you have a bonding pouch? How about tent time. I would get the glider comfortable with climbing on you before you try to see if she is willing to be held. None of mine are. When I pick mine up they jump onto my shoulder or shirt and go exploring.

Also, unless she has been with the boy before expect it to possibly take time before they get along together. I made that mistake with my gliders in just assuming they would get along. They did not and it took time before they became one colony. Make sure you have a way to keep them separately for a while if you need to.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Help with my new girl. - 08/11/19 02:31 PM

Now that you are able to hold her in your lap in the pouch while giving treats, many have found success starting the holding process by slowing putting one hand in the pouch and sliding it underneath the glider. With the other hand you can still pet the glider. You may have to try this several times before it works or it may work the first time.

Once she is used to your doing this, try slowly removing her from the pouch a little at a time until she is completely out of the pouch but still secure in your hand. You may find she will soon learn to trust your hand as a safe place.
Posted By: Misti

Re: Help with my new girl. - 08/12/19 05:46 AM

ThIs is all great advice! I’m so glad that I’m doing ok I just feel so much like it’s 2 steps forward and one step back. I do spend time with her in the bonding tent and do have several bonding pouches I use with her. Right now she is on a weird sleeping schedule because for a while she was awake during the day then slept all night so I’m struggling to catch her asleep in her pouch so I can get her into the tent without stressing her too bad. I have taken her into the tent while she was tired and she just wants to sleep and get pets. I love it but I’m worried that she is not getting enough play time in the tent. I know they need that larger area to play in and her cage is smaller so it’s extra important. This cage is only temporary until she has a few months to get used to the missing leg. She also has no nails on her remaining back foot. She was accidentally burned by the bag of hot rice the vet used to keep her warm after her surgery. The nails fell out and have not yet grown back.

As far as her cage mate I’m planning on take her back to the Breeder to do the introduction so we are sure it will be ok. She has several boys I can get if for some reason they don’t get along. My breeder is very good and hands on, she seems to think the boy I fell in love with will do great with her. I’m so greatful we happen to have a legitimate licensed breeder here. I could ask her all of this but I don’t want to bother her all the time. She actually sent me the information about this forum and warned me about some others that are very dangerous.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Help with my new girl. - 08/14/19 02:34 AM

So she's missing her mate and learning to cope with her new abilities.

I learned morning was best for tent time . With a special needs glider she may need more time to get back in to a routine. Pouch time with your hand in her sleeping pouch while she sleeps will help you handle her more. That will come in handy when it's time for clipping nails. Give her rubs, touch her feet, and just cuddle her.

Keep in mind she's had trauma and may not appreciate being handled much. Tent time may be a bit overwhelming. It never hurts to continue trying with low lights. Sing and talk, give her fleece blankies ( 4"x 4") that you've slept with so she has your scent with her while she's sleeping in her cage. It will help.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL