Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Partial tail loss #933103
04/20/10 03:43 PM
04/20/10 03:43 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I have a glider I am taking care of for a friend and he suffered a partial tail loss. There was no feasable way he encountered injury as he is a rejected joey under constant care. He is just shy of 6 weeks OOP now. He was rejected at 4 weeks for suspected milk production issues. Mom is a new mom and motherhood days will be limited if she rejects again.

Since I have had him here babysitting (about a week now) he has either been in my shirt or in the incubater. Incubation is only during night hours while I sleep. His tail has fluffed up a lot during the last week, all except the tip of the tail which remained smooth. Last night I noticed his tail tip was hardened and had died. Got in touch with his owner ASAP and we set up vet visit for this AM.

Riley was taken to the vet and the vet opted to put him under anesthesia and sort of work the tip of the tail as he said it looked like it was natually trying to disconnect anyhow. The procedure went well but left a small amount that stil looks black at the tip. I was concerned about it and asked, but the vet did say it is ok. I am not sure if the dead cells will just be shed, I do not know anything about amputations and tail loss.

I will be keeping an EXTRA close eye on the tail naturally, but wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences at all or similar procedure of removal. He wanted to keep it as un-invasive as possible and prevent bleeding and suture, which he was 100% sucessful in doing.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #933114
04/20/10 03:57 PM
04/20/10 03:57 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

The coloration could be due to that is where they have black fur. The skin color would be different. However, there is a BIG difference between skin where black hair will grow and necrotic tissue. First time I saw necrotic tissue, I knew immediately what I was looking at.

If you could post some good photos, we might be better able to offer suggestions.

As for the tail itself. It could be that while ip or shortly after, Mom might have nipped the tail causing an injury that just wasn't easily seen and this is the end result. It could also be that while ip, the tail got bent causing a dislocation and this is the result.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Partial tail loss [Re: Dancing] #933118
04/20/10 04:00 PM
04/20/10 04:00 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
First pic shows that his tail can look normal even though he lost part of it.

Second pic was right after we got home

Last pic I took just now. This is approx 2.5 hours after the removal

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #933126
04/20/10 04:09 PM
04/20/10 04:09 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

What I am seeing from the pictures is some scabbing (normal) and some blueish skin. This is normal too. The blueish skin is where the black fur would be growing. If it turns necrotic, it won't be blueish, it will be black and dead (dry) looking.

Things to watch for are..
oozing
redness
inflamation/swelling
hot to the touch (definately warmer than other parts of the body) Hot is an indication of possible infection.
Or really cold (compared to other parts of the body). Cold can be an indication of no having proper blood flow.
bad smell (rotting)

and indications of fresh chewing.

Antibiotics (such as baytril) is suggested but with him being so young, I just don't know and would have to defer to the vet for sure (on an adult,I would insist on baytril as a preventative).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: Dancing] #933130
04/20/10 04:15 PM
04/20/10 04:15 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Ok, well if you think it looks ok that is GREAT to hear. I was just concerned it could still be necrotic. This was the small segment area from where it was naturally seperating however, so I was hoping for the best. Yeah we are on Baytril as well as Torb for the pain. He is doing well and staying sleepy on the pain meds, so he can heal up nice.

Will keep you guys updated.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #933134
04/20/10 04:21 PM
04/20/10 04:21 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Oh and BTW...in case anyone is wondering, the owner of this cutie is on bedrest due to her pregnancy. (High-risk) So when she asked if I would be willing to babysit until he was eating on his own, ect I said yes naturally as her well being and baby could be at risk with all the high maintenence that is going into his care and feedings. I work from home, so caring for him is no big deal for me and it ensures she can rest and get in the time she needs with her other gliders without over stressing her body and baby. Sometimes people just need help and I was very happy that she had it in her to ask a friend when she was in need of help and that I could in return be theer for her when she needed me. I have been enjoying this cute litter buggers company. He is a little love bug, that is for sure.

It was fun listening to him crab at the vet today....ha ha. And our vet is a SUPER SWEET guy.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #934408
04/23/10 02:04 AM
04/23/10 02:04 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Tail update. I think it looks like it is healing.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #939589
05/05/10 03:51 PM
05/05/10 03:51 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
The scab is gone but the skin at the end of the tail is dark greyish. Is that normal and/or ok? I have been watching this darn tail so close since the tip removal.

At the new tip pf his tail he does still have a very tiny black tip of fur left, so his tail fur is not only grey, he has the smallest black tip still.

Last edited by cinnamonstix; 05/05/10 03:52 PM.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #939599
05/05/10 04:20 PM
05/05/10 04:20 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

The end of the tail looks perfectly normal and healthy at this point (to me anyway). The skin coloring would suggest that as hair grows back, it will be black hair. If it were pink, then I would say white hair would grow back. In both cases, that is IF hair does grow back. (probably will though)

To me though, it looks really good at this point.

620-704-9109

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: Dancing] #939602
05/05/10 04:26 PM
05/05/10 04:26 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Thanks so much for looking over this and taking the time to respond. You have helped set my mind at ease so much. It really means a lot to me Teresa and I just wanted you to know that.

It is hard worrying about a big glider, when they are little like this, you seem to worry even more so.

Thanks again!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #942241
05/12/10 02:51 AM
05/12/10 02:51 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
We seem to have peach fuzz growing! Yay! This little guy will be staying with me as we have done a great deal of bonding over the last nearing 5 weeks.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #942267
05/12/10 09:06 AM
05/12/10 09:06 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

lol, Gwen, that just somehow doesn't surprise me! Congrats on the peach fuzz!

620-704-9109

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: Dancing] #942456
05/12/10 03:06 PM
05/12/10 03:06 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Yeah raising the little guy for 5 weeks after having my heart broken from losing a kitten I was hand raising from day one (to day 16) he managed to weasel his way into my heart. It helped me heal a bit, so everything works out. He is by far even more personable than my leu, which I did not know was even possible! My leu however likes anyone he can pester for attention, the joey on the other hand prefers me to anyone else and is content grooming me all day and taking naps in my shirt. Just a sweetie.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #950303
05/25/10 03:38 PM
05/25/10 03:38 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Tip of tail is getting so fuzzy and looks so good!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #950314
05/25/10 04:06 PM
05/25/10 04:06 PM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
You mean you get to keep him? YAY! I know how close you can get to a little one that needs hand raising. Can you post another picture of his tail now? And what is his name? Also I PMed you a question cinnamonstix.

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: hpyhwn2003] #950465
05/25/10 10:07 PM
05/25/10 10:07 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
My camera batter is dead, once charged I will get ya filled in lol.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #950590
05/26/10 08:54 AM
05/26/10 08:54 AM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
Also do you have a photo of when you first noticed the problem?

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: hpyhwn2003] #950879
05/26/10 06:15 PM
05/26/10 06:15 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I do not have a photo of his tail when we noticed it. Honestly by look you would have not known that anything was wrong. His tail did not fluff out at the tip, it was still smooth looking. That was the only thing visible at all. I noticed it as I stroked his tail and felt the tip completely hardened. I freaked naturally and got ahold of joey's original owner. I was fostering as she is on bedrest for her pregnancy and she was unable to continue 2 hour feedings (she had him the first week of rejection).

The vet had us SubQ him as well at every feeding as he was having a difficult time maintaining hydration. Now after the whole ordeal I wonder if the tail incident did not play into his hydration issue somewhat. Also, his testes were bald up until recently as well. His pom was compleyely pink. at teh time of tail amputation his poms had not dropped and his sack was empty, his poms dropped two days after the amputation. He remained bald below for a long time after dropping. Shortly before tail fuzz started to grow he finally got his pom peach fuzz. Maybe another side effect of the tail issue?

Little guy took a long time to wean as well. He actually had no interest in weaning until about 9 weeks OOP. So until then I was feeding him by hand VIA catheter. Once he finally decided to eat on his own he has done great. He eats A LOT and I offer him more than he can eat so that I ensure he keeps growing.

He came to me named Riley. I wanted to name him Rafiki after deciding he would stay with me, but after calling him Riley so long it is a hard change so he will officially be Rafiki-Riley. He is my silly lil monkey, that is for sure. He is pouch protective but does not yell at me anymore and he became a bra baby after being here only 2 days, lol. He is a lazy little bugger that will sleep in my shirt all day and coem out ocassionally to nibble and play bite my fingers.

We have been trying to socialize him more and more with people. He is not fond of anyone really unless it is me. He will just sit there and stare at me contemplating how to get back to mom. He is not afraid to take small jumps to get back to me and then scurries down my shirt. We are making progress on socialization, he used to crab at anyone else....it is getting much better and he hardly yells at others anymore. He tolerates my BF, who has been here the entire time, but he is not even fond of him. He is very much so stuck on me. Lol. Ohwell.

But yeah, this little one came to me at a very hard time. I had just lost a kitten I was handraising since it's birth. We made it through all of the hardest parts and should have been in the clear. He was cold and near death when I had found him, had to tube feed and keep kitten in my shirt for warmth. It was hard, so hard. He was vetted and in perfect condition, we thought we were in the clear and 5 days later we lost him to fading kitten syndrome. It is likely he should have never made it that long and likely this is why he was so small compared to the littermates and why mom was not caring for him. When I say this was a hard time....it was one of the hardest. My heart was broken completely torn. My kitten was the most perfect kitten I ever met and learned to pur at two days old. It was attempts that grew into a stronger purr by three days and a full purr at six days. Completely amazing guy and he tried to defy all odds. Losing him just left the most sick and sad feeling in the pit of your stomach. It was horrible.

Just days later my friend asked me if I could help with her joey. I told her if it was her attempts at healing my wounded heart it would not work....little did I know taht we would have yet another bumpy road that would pull me and this baby glider so close together. Having him here surprisingly did a lot to help heal my heart. I still miss my kitten and always will, but it has helped having the little cutie here keeping me company. Definitely I was kept busy which gave me less time to feel sorry and mourn all day.

Again I have to thank Kristy for making it possible and offering him to stay here with me. He will be loved and you will still get to see the little bugger at any time you want, lol. He will be getting neutered soon and hopefully joining my quad that consists of two females and two neutered males.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Partial tail loss [Re: cinnamonstix] #950882
05/26/10 06:18 PM
05/26/10 06:18 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Pics in the E Collar:

Pic of tail tip today:

Full Body/Tail pics to see how much is missing:

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024