Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: kthiessen] #877894
12/07/09 01:39 AM
12/07/09 01:39 AM
USA
C
COWGAL Offline
Glider Lover
COWGAL  Offline
Glider Lover
C

USA
I have the Scentsy candles in my home, and I just ordered a smaller one for my glider room..

Last edited by sugarlope; 12/12/09 12:33 AM. Reason: edited text
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #877897
12/07/09 01:50 AM
12/07/09 01:50 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Honestly, those aren't really what I would call "scholarly" or "academic" sources. Just about anything is toxic if you receive it in high enough doses. A lot of people will tell you that make-up, processed foods, shampoo, non-organic foods, etc. will do terrible things to you too. I'm not saying there aren't things in those items that might be harmful to certain people, but if you believe every site you see saying something is harmful, pretty soon you'll be living in a bubble.

I definitely do believe you that these could cause issues in people/animals with pre-existing conditions. I have asthma and all it takes is a little jogging and a few breaths of cold air to make me start wheezing. Some people can't even handle perfume, but we don't really see anyone claiming perfume is toxic dunno

I am really relieved to see that other people use candles and Febreeze in their glider rooms. I have been Febreezing my gliders' cage and burning candles in their room since I got them 3 years ago. Very rarely when they are IN THERE, usually while they are tucked away and I am cleaning. It makes the room smell very nice, and I have NEVER seen any evidence that they are having any issues.

Thank you for this post, so I can now tell people that I use Febreeze in my glider room without feeling guilt pangs, lol.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: kthiessen] #877912
12/07/09 02:56 AM
12/07/09 02:56 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
just a few pennies worth of my thoughts...

I cant imagine candles burning being toxic. But I am no scientist hahaha

perhaps the reason that "myth"(?) started is someone somewhere said something about how sensitive gliders are to smells...and it just went from there. For example I relate very well to a glider's sensitive nose as I have one also. I have an issue with people hugging me because then I can smell them on me all day (their perfume or cologne) when I asked a man I know who wears WAY too much cologne to please not hug me, he was like "why allergic to cologne?" ummmm never said that. But how easy was it for him to come up with another rational.

just a thought...

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: JillMarie] #878582
12/08/09 04:35 PM
12/08/09 04:35 PM

A
aerialla
Unregistered
aerialla
Unregistered
A

Here is a tip that works for me because I'm cheap and wanted my $20 candles to seemingly last forever. I sit my candle jars on a $5 Walmart mug warmer. It warms the wax without the flame and most jars don't get too hot. This way I'm not burning the wicks, when the scent is completely gone, then I burn the candle, thus truly getting my money worth. This might be a good alternative for those that want the scent of a candle without the flames.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #878608
12/08/09 05:20 PM
12/08/09 05:20 PM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
how do you keep the wick from sinking down into the melted wax
Originally Posted By: aerialla
Here is a tip that works for me because I'm cheap and wanted my $20 candles to seemingly last forever. I sit my candle jars on a $5 Walmart mug warmer. It warms the wax without the flame and most jars don't get too hot. This way I'm not burning the wicks, when the scent is completely gone, then I burn the candle, thus truly getting my money worth. This might be a good alternative for those that want the scent of a candle without the flames.

how do you keep the wick from sinking down into the melted wax

Debra
Two sons in the U.S. Army
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
dogs: Morgan & Isabella
Bunnies Bob & TMan
gangel RIP Wellington, Minnie & Dazzle bunny, Willow July 6 2013, Squirtle 7-24-09, Maggie May 12-14-10

Licensed wildlife rehabilitator - Cottontail Rabbits & Squirrels
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: vagraphix] #879717
12/10/09 02:05 PM
12/10/09 02:05 PM

A
aerialla
Unregistered
aerialla
Unregistered
A

Sorry just got around to the site. I usually use a clothes pins. It might look a little silly, but it works. One goes on the wick and then two hold it up and they balance on the sides. I came across this when I used to make candles.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #879781
12/10/09 03:41 PM
12/10/09 03:41 PM

A
Ali
Unregistered
Ali
Unregistered
A

I am extremely sensitive to smells from candles, plug-ins and cologne. I get nauseous and headaches really easily when I'm around most. There are a few perfumes/colognes I cna handle without getting sick, but I have yet to find a plug-in that doesn't make me sick.

I recently bought the warmers at Walmart, that are like Scentsy but way cheaper, and I have had no problems yet. I've tried three different scents and no headaches! Now, I'm not a glider, but I haven't noticed any problems and I'm ultra-sensitive to smells.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #880816
12/12/09 03:54 AM
12/12/09 03:54 AM

A
aerialla
Unregistered
aerialla
Unregistered
A

If you're like me Ali, I can't even walk into Bath and Body anymore without covering my mouth and nose. Within five minutes my eyes are tearing and it feels like I asthma attack.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #880821
12/12/09 04:32 AM
12/12/09 04:32 AM
Waxahachie, Tx
SandysMommy Offline
Glider Explorer
SandysMommy  Offline
Glider Explorer

Waxahachie, Tx
I use a Scentsy warmer too. I use it my bedroom, across the room from Sandy; I wouldn't use it right beside her cage.

:rbridge: R.I.P. Sandy 5/1/2004-8/29/13
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #880827
12/12/09 09:21 AM
12/12/09 09:21 AM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
Originally Posted By: aerialla
Sorry just got around to the site. I usually use a clothes pins. It might look a little silly, but it works. One goes on the wick and then two hold it up and they balance on the sides. I came across this when I used to make candles.

Great idea!!

Debra
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
Bunnies Bob & TMan
gangel RIP Wellington, Minnie & Dazzle bunny, Willow July 6 2013, Squirtle 7-24-09, Maggie May 12-14-10

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: vagraphix] #880828
12/12/09 09:23 AM
12/12/09 09:23 AM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
the mug warmers work really well to melt the candles also. I have several of them I use for warming formula for rehabing and an actual yankee candle warmer. The mug warmers work just as well.

Debra
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
Bunnies Bob & TMan

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: vagraphix] #880829
12/12/09 09:51 AM
12/12/09 09:51 AM

S
SugarRissa
Unregistered
SugarRissa
Unregistered
S

What about incense? Would that bother the gliders?

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #887409
12/29/09 12:31 PM
12/29/09 12:31 PM
Jonesboro, AR
S
SeemsFamiliar Offline
Glider Explorer
SeemsFamiliar  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Jonesboro, AR
Nice sites for the most part.

Originally Posted By: eden

The first one notes that lead is dangerous and you shouldn't burn candles with lead wicks. smile

The second notes that the lady lit three different highly scented candles in her home in different rooms at the same time. Birds CANNOT cough and have very restricted means (none that I know of aside from sneezing) from getting buildup out of their lungs. She could have just as easily been blowing cigar smoke in their faces. She made no effort to allow for fresh air or a reasonable amount of oils to be released. A bird will die if you mist cologne near their cage. Mammals can cough and expel contaminants from their lungs to some extent so as long as the concentration is low enough or there is fresh air available then it should be fine.

The third lists the best kinds of candles to burn. (doesn't say don't burn candles)

The last two do not mention candles or scented oils anywhere.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #900361
01/31/10 09:22 PM
01/31/10 09:22 PM

G
GliderGirl846
Unregistered
GliderGirl846
Unregistered
G

Scentsy? I havn't heard of those.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #900366
01/31/10 09:30 PM
01/31/10 09:30 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #905286
02/10/10 08:20 PM
02/10/10 08:20 PM

J
JillPhil
Unregistered
JillPhil
Unregistered
J

I have a room for warm weather animals and had a plug-in during the summer when I could open the windows and get some ventilation. There's a warning on the plug-in we have that says use with pets only in a room with ventilation or something like that so I could it out for the winter.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #905940
02/12/10 04:40 AM
02/12/10 04:40 AM

T
travhops
Unregistered
travhops
Unregistered
T

This is a very interesting discussion. I use plug ins in my home but far away from my gliders. Incense produces smoke so would be wary of that. I have no sense of smell since a chemistry accident in high school and because of that am very paranoid about smells in my house but my sniffers assure me my glider cage does not smell. I clean it religiously, change sleeping pouches often. I'm new here and so thankful I found this site. There is a wealth of information here.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #927031
04/06/10 02:17 AM
04/06/10 02:17 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Guys, I hate to be the bad news person here, but plug ins, sprays, mists are known to cause upper respiratory issues in animals. I am very good friends with a local ferret rescue and we see many times where people use plug ins or those mists in the room where their pets are, and 9 out of 10 times, it is not a good outcome. We took a ferret in who needed care due to the damage that was done. NOT only ferrets are affected. Birds, Gliders, etc etc. I have even seen dogs affected by some of these products.

As someone said, any animal with pre conditions (some of which you might not even know about) are subject to respiratory issues caused by these products.

To me, its better to be safe then sorry... I love candles and awesome smells like anyone else, but I also owe these animals my protection. I will use candles, and a lysol spray when cleaning but NEVER in the same room my pets are in.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #927038
04/06/10 02:47 AM
04/06/10 02:47 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Originally Posted By: Lisa_NJG
Guys, I hate to be the bad news person here, but plug ins, sprays, mists are known to cause upper respiratory issues in animals. I am very good friends with a local ferret rescue and we see many times where people use plug ins or those mists in the room where their pets are, and 9 out of 10 times, it is not a good outcome. We took a ferret in who needed care due to the damage that was done. NOT only ferrets are affected. Birds, Gliders, etc etc. I have even seen dogs affected by some of these products.

As someone said, any animal with pre conditions (some of which you might not even know about) are subject to respiratory issues caused by these products.

To me, its better to be safe then sorry... I love candles and awesome smells like anyone else, but I also owe these animals my protection. I will use candles, and a lysol spray when cleaning but NEVER in the same room my pets are in.

Lisa,
So would you say that it is safe to burn candles in say, the next room over?

I love my candles, but I've been avoiding burning them anywhere in my house due to not knowing what the affects can be.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: WintersSong] #927057
04/06/10 07:21 AM
04/06/10 07:21 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

I don't see why not... same thing with sprays etc. The "mist" or any fumes coming from the items would pretty much remain in the room itself. By the time the scent made its way over, I wouldn't think it would have the same "properties".. if that makes sense?

IE: when you spray or have the plug ins, especially with the fan, it is actually fanning small particles outward. If you take a spray and spray it in the air and hold your hand under that area, you can feel it land on your hand.. those are again, particles that if sprayed around cages etc, would get into your pets lungs.

Remember, just like anyone cleaning a cage with vin/water solution.. or cleaning bedding and avoiding scented softeners, they do have keen little noses, and you do not want the smell being over powering either. Id say if its not an overly powerful smell, the next room would be ok..

Last edited by Lisa_NJG; 04/06/10 07:24 AM.
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #997263
08/27/10 09:30 AM
08/27/10 09:30 AM

B
BettyCropper
Unregistered
BettyCropper
Unregistered
B

Wow...what a good informative thread. I use candles, wax warmers, occasional plug ins in my home. No plug in item in room with my suggies, but will use the wax warmer 1-2x week...figured it was safe because of the no smoke/no flame. AND it's on the opposite side of the room from my suggies, next to the door so a lot of the fragrance goes into the hallway!

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #997664
08/28/10 07:31 AM
08/28/10 07:31 AM
richmond,indiana
D
dizzyblue Offline
Glider Lover
dizzyblue  Offline
Glider Lover
D

richmond,indiana
I love candles..hee, just make sure they don't burn too close to the cage because the wax will vaporize and can get into their food. I've given my whole family food poisoning because I had to burn a candle on the stove while I was making soup!

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: dizzyblue] #997678
08/28/10 08:48 AM
08/28/10 08:48 AM

B
Briarthorn
Unregistered
Briarthorn
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: dizzyblue
I love candles..hee, just make sure they don't burn too close to the cage because the wax will vaporize and can get into their food. I've given my whole family food poisoning because I had to burn a candle on the stove while I was making soup!

Holy Cow! I had no idea that could happen.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #998166
08/29/10 03:18 PM
08/29/10 03:18 PM

W
WendiH
Unregistered
WendiH
Unregistered
W

This is an interesting thread. I've stopped using all candles, etc. in our house because of our zoo! Actually, I miss having the great apple-cinnamon scent around that I used to enjoy pre-glider days...though I've decided that the gliders' safety is most important, so why take a chance? I think that some tarts or warmer are probably pretty safe, kept out of the glider room and away from our aquariums.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #998189
08/29/10 04:16 PM
08/29/10 04:16 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
I use scentsy in my glider room, around my house, around the amphibians ( since i am an amphibian steward through a conservation org.) of which breathe through their skin and they are very safe IMHO. like kathy stated, no lead no soot no fire danger not hot enough to harm a 2 year old TBH.... safe for you me and pets wink

Last edited by SariYappa; 09/03/10 10:43 PM. Reason: advertising -SariYappa
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #1003100
09/10/10 10:16 PM
09/10/10 10:16 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: WendiH
This is an interesting thread. I've stopped using all candles, etc. in our house because of our zoo! Actually, I miss having the great apple-cinnamon scent around that I used to enjoy pre-glider days...though I've decided that the gliders' safety is most important, so why take a chance? I think that some tarts or warmer are probably pretty safe, kept out of the glider room and away from our aquariums.

If you want a scent that doesnt give off a mist or wax vapor, go to your local super market, and pick up a satchel of pine cones and cinnamon. We have them here at Path Mark, especially for the winter months. OR, just do your own. Great scent and all natural.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #1003104
09/10/10 10:27 PM
09/10/10 10:27 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: Srlb
He has been in my store many a times and has seen me burning candles, and he is the one who confirmed my fear with the metal wicked candles and he also told me to NEVER keep my bird in the kitchen at ANY time while cooking.

Just so you know, the reason you should not keep your bird in the kitchen with you while cooking is because the non stick pans give off fumes that are toxic to birds..

I know that we had an issue in North Jersey here where a woman had ferrets, and she was using the plug in typs and the mists.. well, the ferrets were dying. They did a necropsy, and the diagnosis was issues with their lungs, etc due to those items. Three ferrets if I remember correctly had to die before She stopped.. I dont believe she has any more.

I am careful.. if I want a scent, I have items that are all natural.. or keep everyone out of the room I am burning candles in.. far from them.

Just a precaution I take personally.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #1003448
09/11/10 10:10 PM
09/11/10 10:10 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Yes, Teflon have been proven toxic to many things, not to mention the harm it also does on us.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #1003466
09/11/10 11:18 PM
09/11/10 11:18 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

My glider vet, who is also a certified avian vet, ALWAYS has a pet-odor-remover candle burning on his reception desk. If anything would tell me it was okay to have scented candles in my home, THAT would do it! LOL

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #1007278
09/20/10 06:59 PM
09/20/10 06:59 PM
Delaware
lkettner Offline
Joey Member
lkettner  Offline
Joey Member

Delaware
Thank you for sharing this site with me from my previous posting. I didnt do a lot of research before I posted it. I apologize.

THis has great information.

So I think its good that we *bump* it.

Thanks!

~Lucinda

I heart:grey: Stella and Luna
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024