Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gliders hate/fear water #844258
09/25/09 03:27 PM
09/25/09 03:27 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
There are several threads in the archives about gliders and water. Whether or not they can swim, whether they would avoid water in their natural habitat, if water exposure is stressful, etc.

There is a wonderful post by Anita, in one of the threads;
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...swim#Post299386

I know that they can instinctively swim, because my oldest boy, Dakota swam when he was a joey. It was an accident, I hadn't had gliders for very long, he was on the counter and I had left two large tubs of water in the sink. He got spooked, dove into the first one, swam across, dog paddle style, climbed out the other side and dove into the second pan of water and did it again. He came out the other side wet, but no worse for wear. I dried him off and he was fine.

I also know someone that regularly takes his glider into the shower. She even has her own shower bar and jumps back and forth from his shoulder to play in the 'rain'.

Have an opinion? What do you think?

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: sugarlope] #844296
09/25/09 05:10 PM
09/25/09 05:10 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
That's so cute!! laugh I would love to let mine all swim or go in the shower with me but all I can think of is negatives and I'm a paranoid mamma!! Like, what if it gets in their nose? What if it goes in their ears? What if it gets into their lungs? Hypothermia? Etc. I don't know if gliders have sensitive ears like dogs or not but getting water in a dogs ears or nose isn't a good idea and since sugs ears stand up, there's a higer risk of it getting in theirs. The biggest thing I'd be concerned about is the water getting up their nose or hypothermia. Their lungs are so small and just a little drop might be harmful. frown Plus, they'd get cold fast because they're so small.

I dunno! That's my input. Next!! ^^

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Kiiru] #844331
09/25/09 06:36 PM
09/25/09 06:36 PM

G
Gucciburger
Unregistered
Gucciburger
Unregistered
G

I always let my gliders have run of the bathroom when I am taking a shower and they always seem to either sneak in thru the bottom of the curtain or climb the cloth outside curtain to get to the bar and then jump to me and usually go to my head... but they do not seem to be afraid of the water, they actually seem to like it vary much. I just make sure they are all dried off before they leave the steamy bathroom...

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #844344
09/25/09 07:13 PM
09/25/09 07:13 PM
Twin Cities, Minnesota
MNrarepets Offline
Glider Explorer
MNrarepets  Offline
Glider Explorer

Twin Cities, Minnesota
wouldn't they get all soapy or shampooey if landing on your head? would that be a good or bad thing? i think i might let them play in the sink (Editted to add: not a full sink, maybe just a sprinkle of water to see how they like it), but with a shower, i guess i'd be nervous about it spraying in the wrong places, like kiiru is.

b

Last edited by MNrarepets; 09/25/09 07:34 PM.

Beth

my new husband: Joe

& all our babies:
9 sugar gliders: Rocky, Stella, Luna, Terra, Maia, Mega Man, Colby, Nova, Halo
4 hairless guinea pigs: Bartemus, Neopolatina, Glimmer, Zipper
2 hairy guinea pigs: Brian, Roger
1 chihuahua puppy: Bean
1 pit bull puppy: Tank
3 fish tanks

www.mnrarepets.com
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: MNrarepets] #844351
09/25/09 07:36 PM
09/25/09 07:36 PM

G
Gucciburger
Unregistered
Gucciburger
Unregistered
G

Well the soap is not an issue with me as it is a completely organic, even edible soap and shampoo... it called "Mop" I haven't had any issues. My vet even told me as long as I am not using a Caustic Cleaner that contains any chemicals or waxes that it shouldn't be an issue. I am going to have to ask my vet about the issues with them getting water in their ears though... But I don't think it would be an issue as they shake their head quite alot so it seems to stay pretty dry... The only bad part is the nails on the skin... wink I think it is a pretty fun and could even be considered enrichment playtime.....
When I lived in Fl I had a outside enclosure that I kept my gliders in for a good chunk of the year... it was 4 feet wide, 4 feet deep and 8 feet tall, anyways I noticed when it rained and stormed at night they would be out enjoying themselves. They would chase each other all over the place like crazy. Now since I moved I let them do the shower thing cause I don't see the point in an outdoor enclosure in Mn.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #844355
09/25/09 07:47 PM
09/25/09 07:47 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Well I am totally jealous. With all the messing around that I’ve done with my gliders, it never occurred to me to let them in the bathroom while I showered. Now ya know I just gotta try it.

I could be wrong, but I think that we get so tied up in the “gotta do’s” and the “don’t ever do’s” that sometimes we forget why we got these animals. I’m not saying that diets, and safety, and all that other stuff isn’t important, but isn’t it also important to loosen up a little and enjoy these guys?

I met a lady earlier this year who owned a glider. I listened to how the glider curls up in the blanket with her and she rubs his paws until he falls asleep. I heard how the glider wrestles her hubby’s toes when he is just wearing socks. And how the glider loves to nip hubby’s ear and scamper off. I didn’t even ask what diet she fed or any of that other stuff. It was so obvious that she was in love with that animal and that the glider was in love with her. I was afraid that I would mess things up for them.

I’ll let ya’ll know how the shower goes.

Last edited by hushpuppy; 09/25/09 07:48 PM.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: hushpuppy] #844360
09/25/09 08:08 PM
09/25/09 08:08 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
When I came on the glider scene, there were far too many glider deaths from drowning in toilets or sinks (mostly kitchen) so it makes sense how the myth would get started that gliders can't swim or don't like water.

It isn't that they can't but the toilet/sink drownings happen because the glider exhausts itself when it cannot climb up the slick sides. Not because it cannot swim.

Closing the lid, using toilet ladders and just generally making people more aware of the hazard has made a huge difference in the number of deaths we have seen from drowning.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: KarenE] #844371
09/25/09 08:29 PM
09/25/09 08:29 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
I agree with Karen that the myth most likely generated from the toilet/sink/bucket drownings where the gliders could not climb out.

My own gliders are outside and they have a full roof and three sides covered from the worst of the elements. However, on rainy nights especially during Summer, I often see 20 or so gliders all positioned across on the open side enjoying the rain!

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Marz] #844463
09/25/09 10:25 PM
09/25/09 10:25 PM

G
Gucciburger
Unregistered
Gucciburger
Unregistered
G

I occasionally even use a mister just to wet the sides of the cage down to clean in between cleanings and they will sometimes scamper out of their nest box and enjoy running in and out of the mist, I sometimes even lose track of time and the amount of water I use and before ya know my 2 gallon pump mister is out of water and the cage is soaked... But the gliders do seem to really enjoy it, and for me that is really what it is about (The glider enjoying him/her self) and me enjoying them. On a side note they also seem to enjoy grooming while they are in the shower or mist its kind of like they are feeling like they are finally getting a good clean start. Maybe they need a shower every now and then... They are kind of like dogs after a shower, they get really wound up and go nuts rolling and playing..... Sorry Im all over the place, im just spewing out diff things I can remember... wink

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #844573
09/26/09 10:27 AM
09/26/09 10:27 AM
North Georgia
K
kelii Offline
Glider Guardian
kelii  Offline
Glider Guardian
K

North Georgia
I think I'll try the mister thing tonight! It sounds like they really do enjoy water.

Momma to:

1 dog, Reilly the chowdor bull
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: kelii] #844580
09/26/09 10:51 AM
09/26/09 10:51 AM

W
WendiH
Unregistered
WendiH
Unregistered
W

Some interesting ideas! I have to say, I definitely would not think of letting my guys out in the bathroom while I shower. Of course, I have three kitties and a dog, and really can't let my gliders out of my sight and full attention.

I like the misting idea.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #845291
09/28/09 08:25 AM
09/28/09 08:25 AM
Twin Cities, Minnesota
MNrarepets Offline
Glider Explorer
MNrarepets  Offline
Glider Explorer

Twin Cities, Minnesota
misting sounds alot better than a shower to me. perhaps a spray bottle in mist mode?

b

Beth

my new husband: Joe

& all our babies:
9 sugar gliders: Rocky, Stella, Luna, Terra, Maia, Mega Man, Colby, Nova, Halo
4 hairless guinea pigs: Bartemus, Neopolatina, Glimmer, Zipper
2 hairy guinea pigs: Brian, Roger
1 chihuahua puppy: Bean
1 pit bull puppy: Tank
3 fish tanks

www.mnrarepets.com
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: MNrarepets] #849121
10/07/09 01:43 AM
10/07/09 01:43 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Most of my gliders go into a panic mode when I turn on the sink or if they hear water running. All of them hide in their pouches when it rains. I have always kept them away from water unless I had to wash one's rump. (when 2 had surgery) Those 2 didn't seem to mind though. hmmm

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: MNrarepets] #849147
10/07/09 02:36 AM
10/07/09 02:36 AM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
My five month (at the time) male glider had an incident with water earlier this year. He was on my shoulder when I went into the kitchen to get my morning java. He jumped off of my shoulder into a soapy dishwater filled popcorn bowl that my teenage daughter was in the process of washing. He sank like a rock...never even attempted to swim. I had to fish him from the bottom of the bowl blindly through the suds. He aspirated the saopy water into his lungs snd required a thump to get him breathing again. I think he just froze up and was too stunned to try to swim. He was fine and running around as if nothing had happened to him when we arrived at the vets office.

My five year old male glider was in the living room with my husband while I was cleaning a cage in the next room. He jumped/glided 15-20 feet through the doorway right into the bucket of water I was using to clean with (impressive). He wanted to see what I had in there and what I was doing. He was paddling as soon as he hit the water. I don't even think his entire head got wet.

I think each glider is different with swimming. I am now overly cautious about water around my gliders. Whatever I am drinking is a potential drowning hazzard because they just have to see what mom has. If I tell them no and move it across the room, it becomes their mission to get to it. I don't think that any of mine are "afraid" of water, but none of mine "like" it. I cant even wipe my gliders with a damp washcloth without them clawing to get away. Damp feet during a bathtub intro had them shaking their feet and doing the "run across hot coals" dance. I find it very interesting that some have gliders that "like" water. Anyone else have gliders that do or don't like water?

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #888179
12/31/09 03:51 PM
12/31/09 03:51 PM
Kentucky
Merissa Offline
Glider Guardian
Merissa  Offline
Glider Guardian

Kentucky
Speedy likes water.
When ever he is on my shoulder while im getting a glass of water he tries to jump where the water is coming from.
I stop him right before he does it because i dont want him to get in the habit of doing it.

I love my Speedy, Roxy, Chance,Isabella and Gabriella:)
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Merissa] #888639
01/01/10 11:46 PM
01/01/10 11:46 PM

S
sheila82
Unregistered
sheila82
Unregistered
S

I was always cautious, with the toilet, and sinks of water and all that. But after cage cleanup, and sweeping and mopping one day, I forgot to empty the mop bucket. My sweetest boy got out and drown. However, we had a rescue that was so filthy that we decided to clean her in the tub. She loved it. Don't know if she just loved getting clean or loved the water though.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #888691
01/02/10 01:28 AM
01/02/10 01:28 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
The danger of toilets and buckets of water is gliders tire quickly when swimming and there is no way for them to get back out of the toilet or bucket. (not to mention the bacteria in the toilets!) It isn't that gliders can't swim, it is they can't get back out of the toilet once they become tired because of the shape of the toilet and the slick sides.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Dancing] #888702
01/02/10 01:42 AM
01/02/10 01:42 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Sugar likes water...........she was trying to get all her 224 grams crammed in her water bowl earlier............silly glider!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Cora] #893723
01/16/10 05:11 AM
01/16/10 05:11 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I would also venture that the patagium creates drag when trying to swim, and they tire faster than other animals, leading to drowning once the glider is exhausted. Like trying to swim with too many clothes on.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: sugarlope] #893935
01/16/10 11:52 PM
01/16/10 11:52 PM

G
GliderGirl846
Unregistered
GliderGirl846
Unregistered
G

So sugar gliders can swim? huh... I never ever would of thought that!

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #893984
01/17/10 05:07 AM
01/17/10 05:07 AM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Yep, sugar gliders are capable of swimming. smile A long while back someone had a video of their glider swimming in a pool, although I don't recommend anybody try that with their gliders.

Sabarika
Photography
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: Dancing] #894011
01/17/10 07:52 AM
01/17/10 07:52 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
The danger of toilets and buckets of water is gliders tire quickly when swimming and there is no way for them to get back out of the toilet or bucket. (not to mention the bacteria in the toilets!) It isn't that gliders can't swim, it is they can't get back out of the toilet once they become tired because of the shape of the toilet and the slick sides.

This is why it's important to have a glider ladder in the toilet, should the lid be left up accidentally. It gives them something to hold onto until they can be rescued or recover enough to jump out.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: suggiemom1980] #917268
03/09/10 11:52 PM
03/09/10 11:52 PM

F
Flours
Unregistered
Flours
Unregistered
F

I actually asked someone to remember to put the toilet seat down today, and he said 'Why, they can't swim?' And just automatically I assumed they couldn't because they shouldn't be in toilets. Puppys can swim fine, but you wouldn't put them in a toilet, right? I'm excited to take my boys showering. I already do that with my ferrets. They love the water...hate the washing.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #923657
03/27/10 10:17 AM
03/27/10 10:17 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Hmmmm, so water doesn't get in their ears and since there are so many little creative things for gliders...how about a little shower cap? lol How cute would THAT be? hehe

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: DCMuffin] #925326
03/31/10 12:37 PM
03/31/10 12:37 PM
st.louis, missouri
HappyToBeHere Offline
Glider Lover
HappyToBeHere  Offline
Glider Lover

st.louis, missouri
so i tried the water spray bottle things. Mine hate it. They froze up and stopped playing, got quite and just stared...

But when i do shower they dont mind, they sit there on the curtain polls and chill.

Maybe its the sound of the spray bottle or maybe them just getting wet they dont like!

LIVE life to the FULLEST, that way you really have no regrets when its over..

Mom to Pickles :grey: Precious :grey: Gizmo :rtmo: Ducky :wfb: and Dizzy :leu:
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: HappyToBeHere] #925336
03/31/10 01:04 PM
03/31/10 01:04 PM

S
Sarah
Unregistered
Sarah
Unregistered
S

It really might be the sound of the spray bottle. For instance, my horse loves getting hosed down and loves baths, but whenever he hears the spray bottle he freaks. Its not the wetness he minds, I think its just a really unnatural sound that he had to get used to.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #925338
03/31/10 01:11 PM
03/31/10 01:11 PM

S
Sashimi
Unregistered
Sashimi
Unregistered
S

I was thinking the same thing. I would think since "PSSST" isn't a good noise to them, the spray bottle (which happens to make the same noise) may be [censored] them out more than the actual water.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #926000
04/02/10 12:10 PM
04/02/10 12:10 PM
st.louis, missouri
HappyToBeHere Offline
Glider Lover
HappyToBeHere  Offline
Glider Lover

st.louis, missouri
I agree, think its the sound too!

LIVE life to the FULLEST, that way you really have no regrets when its over..

Mom to Pickles :grey: Precious :grey: Gizmo :rtmo: Ducky :wfb: and Dizzy :leu:
Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: HappyToBeHere] #949964
05/24/10 09:38 PM
05/24/10 09:38 PM

T
travhops
Unregistered
travhops
Unregistered
T

I regularly put a shallow dish of water in my glider cage and they love it, splash around, shake it all over, groom. I don't know where this water myth came from. They love it.

Re: Gliders hate/fear water [Re: ] #964971
06/27/10 09:17 AM
06/27/10 09:17 AM

C
Carol
Unregistered
Carol
Unregistered
C

I think sometimes people get so protective of their sugar giders they forget they are animals with animal instincts. Mine love to play in water, protect their ears and don't aspirate it. They love to be clean, plus am sure they have sense enough to go to pouch and warm up before hypothermia sets in. I give them the bottom of a ceramic plant pot as their "pool" and most mornings the water is filthy after they've played in it. They also will shower if I mist the cage. I think the drownings started this and it perpetuated into water is dangerous and gliders hate water. Seeing them dip hands in water and wash their little faces is adorable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,163 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024