Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Should I pull him? #912208
02/26/10 02:22 AM
02/26/10 02:22 AM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Raul is 5 weeks old and only weighs 13 grams.

I noticed ealier this week that mom wasn't feeding him, so I have been supplimenting him 4 times a day.

I have found him hanging outside of the pouch once and towards the top once. Other than that he has been deep in the pouch. But earlier in the week he was off to the side or on top of the others, not snuggled down in the warmth of mom and dad like I thought he should be.

No one has hurt him and I guess they are cleaning and helping him to potty, but other than that they arent doing much else. He's usually always cold when I get him out for his feedings.

I just don't know if it would be better to pull him full time or what? I feel so bad for him and I've never had this kind of issue whith any of the other few joey's I've had.

Rakastaa is a first time mom and this was a single birth.

Any and all advice is extremely appreciative!

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912214
02/26/10 02:40 AM
02/26/10 02:40 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
That is very very tiny for 5 weeks.

You will need to increase the feedings round the clock instead of only supplementing him. Watch him closely to detemine how often to feed him, I would say every 2-4 hours. He is crawing out of the pouch because he is hungry. Also be sure to weigh him everyday, he should gain about 1 gram per day. He is very behind on his growth and development...I have had joeys come OOP larger than 13 grams...are you sure that is accurate?

If the parents are not hurting him it is best he stays with them so they can groom him and teach him to how to be a glider.

I also suggest taking the mom and baby to the vet, to make sure there is not a health problem causing this and if they are dehydrated the vet can give sub-q fluids.

Mealworms and a nectar supplement help with milk production, if that turns out to be the problem. Good luck!

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: SugareeErin] #912215
02/26/10 02:49 AM
02/26/10 02:49 AM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
I bought the wrong kind of scale the other day, and bought a digital one today on my way to work. I knew he was tiny for his age, but didnt realize just HOW tiny he was till tonight when I got home from work.

Mom is NOT feeding him anymore, hasn't been since sat or sun. Everytime I have supplimented him, he has not been nursing. She's not even attempting to. I also heard her making that noise they make at their joey's when they are annoyed and don't want them to nurse anymore.

He was doing so well in the beginning, so was mom. I never thought for a minute that she would stop feeding him.

He's also always cold (really cold)when I get him out of the pouch for his feedings too.

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912217
02/26/10 02:51 AM
02/26/10 02:51 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

It sounds like it is time to pull him. If he is cold, he can't digest his food properly. He needs to stay warm. 13 grams for 5 weeks is dangerously small. I've had joeys come oop larger than that. This little one needs you to be his mom.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #912218
02/26/10 02:55 AM
02/26/10 02:55 AM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Thats what I've been thinking. I warm him up before feeding him, but he only eats .3 cc's at each feeding. And I thought with him being as cold as he usually is, that it can't be good for him.

I swear he was at deaths door saturday when I started supplimenting him! Today he seemed more lively than he had been since saturday, but he still scares me and I know we're not out of the woods just yet.

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912227
02/26/10 04:23 AM
02/26/10 04:23 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
in my opinion...

As long as the mom is not HURTING the joey in any way it is better to leave them together, but definitely feed the joey. The joey needs to be kept warm and definitely needs to be warm to feed and digest food properly. I would contact suz.
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/index.htm her info on her site was wonderful and helped me raise my Arwen from 5 days OOP!

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: JillMarie] #912243
02/26/10 07:05 AM
02/26/10 07:05 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Sherri, I agree with Teresa - at this point I would completely pull him. The fact that you've found him very cold multiple times means that the parents are really rejecting him. If they were going to take care of him at all, they'd keep him warm. Call me today, if you have more questions hug2

(P.S. got your box sent out yesterday via UPS)

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #912255
02/26/10 08:33 AM
02/26/10 08:33 AM
Roanoke, Virginia
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave
mommawannabe  Offline
Glider Slave

Roanoke, Virginia
I agree with Teresa and Suz, mom and dad are not even keeping him warm so I would definitely pull and keep him in a warm incubator but since he is so dangerously small I would even say keep him on you skin in your bra but make sure he can breath. Definitely feed him more often. Poor little guy. Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna

Hubby Tommie
son Logan - 11
Pugs-Duncan and Raven,
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: mommawannabe] #912258
02/26/10 08:57 AM
02/26/10 08:57 AM

S
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
S

Glad you've been keeping a close watch on the situation. With what you've described-I'd say its definitely time to pull him. Good luck with him smile

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: JillMarie] #912266
02/26/10 09:25 AM
02/26/10 09:25 AM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
in my opinion...

As long as the mom is not HURTING the joey in any way it is better to leave them together, but definitely feed the joey. The joey needs to be kept warm and definitely needs to be warm to feed and digest food properly. I would contact suz.
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/index.htm her info on her site was wonderful and helped me raise my Arwen from 5 days OOP!

hmmmm.... if the mom is kicking him out of the nice warm pouch, and he is in the cold, i wouldnt think it best to leave him with her. sounds like he needs to be a bra baby! lol

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: eterrell84] #912270
02/26/10 09:35 AM
02/26/10 09:35 AM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I would pull him and set him up in a critter keeper with lots of fleece. Set it on top of a heating pad wrapped in a bath towel. Make sure the heating pad is the type that stays on. All of this is on Suz site and as we all know, Suz is a Godsend! I used all of her advice to save Mshki and he is doing awesome! 13 grams is very small, so I would be feeding him every couple hours around the clock with the joey formula. Once he can stay warm, his appetite should pick up. I hope he turns around for you! If you can keep him with you during the day that will help him too!

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: gliderma] #912289
02/26/10 10:32 AM
02/26/10 10:32 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Just a note that the incubator is ONLY meant to be used at night when you have to get some sleep. Otherwise, the joey should be tucked in a fleece blanket or in a bra pouch in your shirt. This gives the joey your body warmth, your humidity and your heartbeat heart

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #912357
02/26/10 01:07 PM
02/26/10 01:07 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Last night Raul slept with me. I hated to have to pull him, but 5 weeks old and I have to treat him as a newly oop joey? Thats crazy! I'm hoping with constant warmth and more feedings that he'll catch up to where he needs to be in no time! Thank you for all your advice!

I'm sure that I'll have more questions later. LOL

Oh yeah I do have one more. Should I be stimulating him to potty? I know that they should be going on their own at this age, but I haven't seen him go at all any of the times I have fed him. And last night the fleece that he was wrapped up in all night was dry and clean as a bone. Suggestions? And yes I have tried stimulating him, but still nothing that I could tell.

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #912360
02/26/10 01:09 PM
02/26/10 01:09 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Gliders, especially joeys use a great deal of energy just keeping warm. When the parents aren't snuggling with the joey, most of the joey's food intake goes into keeping them warm and so little is left over for growing. This could be why he is so tiny still.

I would feed him every hour right now, atleast during the day and then every two hours at night. As much as he will eat each time. Then as he starts to gain, you can go to every two hours during the day too.

Once he has really shown some growth, then you can start spacing out the feedings more. I would also use the newborn formula without baby cereal in it. He needs nutrition more than filler right now (the cereal is a filler).

His tiny size reminds me of Thumbalina, a little joey Anita Totty raised. You might talk to her more directly to see if she did anything different with her.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #912381
02/26/10 02:04 PM
02/26/10 02:04 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with Teresa 100% thumb And yes, you should stimulate him to go potty until you physically seeing him doing so on his own.

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #912383
02/26/10 02:12 PM
02/26/10 02:12 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Thank you again SOOOO MUCH!!!

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912424
02/26/10 04:25 PM
02/26/10 04:25 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Yay!!!! He poopied!!!! First time since I've been feeding him and trying to stimulating him to go and he finally DID!!!! Alot too, I might add. LOL

I have fed him 4 times already today and he has ate .3 -.4cc's EVERY time!

I'm just so happy right now. Its amazing how good some poopy can make you feel! LOL

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912426
02/26/10 04:28 PM
02/26/10 04:28 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
That's great news! I know how excited I was with Mshki every time he went! It's the little things that get us Mom's excited!

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #912428
02/26/10 04:32 PM
02/26/10 04:32 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Before my first rejected joey, I saw posts where people were thrilled when their joey pooped and I couldn't understand why.

THEN, I had my first rejected joey of my own. The first time it pooped, you would have thought I'd just been given a million bucks!

Congratulations on your tiny one!!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: eterrell84] #912776
02/27/10 11:11 AM
02/27/10 11:11 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: eterrell84
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
in my opinion...

hmmmm.... if the mom is kicking him out of the nice warm pouch, and he is in the cold, i wouldnt think it best to leave him with her. sounds like he needs to be a bra baby! lol

Erin also agreed with what I had said. About if mom is not HURTING them...but every situation is different and needs to be evaluated on its own merits. Is the joey found cold everytime you go to the cage? or just once in a while? Do the parents act happy when you replace the joey or do they immediately push it away? Are the parents the ones pushing the joey out or is it crawling out on its own? is the pouch too crowded? All these things should be taken into consideration. While I myself have handraised NUMEROUS animals...it truly is best to leave them with the real parents as long as possible as handraising any baby animal CAN create health and emotional issues. At this point I am happy the joey is doing well AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS! I dont want this to be a debate, but I felt a need to explain myself. As someone who has taken in wild baby rabbits because someone found them....abandoned...I understand how easy it is to panic when something seems wrong and want to fix it. But sometimes we dont need to FIX it perhaps just nudge it a bit. Sometimes mom isnt producing enough milk and all she needs to welcome baby back is some supplemental feeding of the joey and as long as baby isnt nursing, mom is happy to keep the baby. Again, each situation is different. And there may be reasons mom doesnt want a baby that we just dont see. I am sure there was/is something wrong with my Arwen. She was fully half the size of her brother when they were "born", and to this day is smaller than the rest of her family (of course she is the smartest of the bunch!)and perhaps her mom "sensed" something was wrong with her.
sometimes it is best to go with your instincts, and hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

By the way...this spring...everyone leave those baby bunnies ALONE unless you know for certain that the mommy is dead! They have not been abandoned!

have a wonderful day everyone! I am going shopping for more fleece!
I pray the little one does well and keeps making those poopies! LOL

Last edited by JillMarie; 02/27/10 11:15 AM.

^website link wink

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: JillMarie] #912816
02/27/10 01:24 PM
02/27/10 01:24 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
As long as the mom is not HURTING the joey in any way it is better to leave them together

With the parents leaving the joey and the joey getting cold constantly, it IS hurting the joey. They might not be biting him but, at 5 weeks and just 13 grams, this joey IS being hurt.

Pulling him is his only chance to survive. If he isn't kept warm, he won't be able to grow.

620-704-9109

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #912820
02/27/10 01:43 PM
02/27/10 01:43 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Yup I agree with Teresa and posted this on SGN yesterday if he isn't staying warm then he won't gain wait. Sadly its time to pull him which I believe Sherri already did.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #912822
02/27/10 01:49 PM
02/27/10 01:49 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Teresa is right on this the joeys is being put at risk by leaving this joey in with its parents. Im happy that the baby is doing better now that you have pulled the joey.
And those who have had to hand raise a rejected joey can tell you that handraising these babies usually makes them be the sweetest babies ever and emotionally they do fine .Connie who has her baby Roo can tell you just how special that little boy is due to her having to hand raise him since the breeder who sold this joey sold it to the person right after his eyes were open.And handraising a joey that is already suffering due to not being properly taken care of will also make that joey healthier due to being taken care of properly.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: tammyangel] #913167
02/28/10 03:39 PM
02/28/10 03:39 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN

This is my little man last night. Sorry the pic isn't the greatest, I took it with my cell phone.

Last edited by Sherri; 02/28/10 03:43 PM.

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #913174
02/28/10 04:08 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Sherri:
I am not getting on you, but this joey looks to be no older than 2-3 weeks oop. If he came out as a pinkie this is the danger of calling a joey out of pouch too early and then re-homing at eight weeks(for newbie breeders, please start your oop date from a fully furred joey or when the eyes open). Look at the features of a NOT fluffy tail, the way he is standing spread eagle with front feet and his face has the baby face look. His eyes don't even seem to be open enough for an five week old. Look at Dancing's five week old pic she posted today. Also have seen mill breeder selling a glider that had the same features as this glider. DO NOT buy a joey this young from anybody(I know you aren't selling him and trying to save him Sherri.) Much less the weight of him.

Sorry I got off topic Sherri and hope your little man will pull through...
Art

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Sherri] #913175
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

oh wow, it is hard to believe he is 5 weeks oop. But ya know, the runt of the litter is always the fiestiest and the best. Hang in there Sherri and you too Raul!

Art, I know Sherri and I know she knows how to age a glider's oop date. With Raul, this little guy has had a rough start and is lucky to still be alive. I have full confidence in Sherri and if Raul is going to make it, it will be because of her love and dedication.

But you are right...to any new owners who see these photos of Raul, this is NOT what a 5 week oop joey should look like. By 5 weeks, they should be MUCH larger and fully fluffy. They should be able to move around and explore on their own (even if they choose to still hang out in the sleep pouch). They will about this time start to explore the foods mom and dad are eating and should, by this age be able to go potty on their own.

620-704-9109

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #913177
02/28/10 04:15 PM
02/28/10 04:15 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
That's why I posted what I did. It wasn't to say anything against Sherri but to explain to new owners who jump into breeding.
Art

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: Dancing] #913178
02/28/10 04:20 PM
02/28/10 04:20 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Raul's official oop date is 1/17/10

Here is the thread when I first intro'ed him into the community.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/..._Ram#Post896749

sherri

Re: Should I pull him? [Re: tammyangel] #913190
02/28/10 05:00 PM
02/28/10 05:00 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: tammyangel

And those who have had to hand raise a rejected joey can tell you that handraising these babies usually makes them be the sweetest babies ever and emotionally they do fine .Connie who has her baby Roo can tell you just how special that little boy is due to her having to hand raise him since the breeder who sold this joey sold it to the person right after his eyes were open.

Roo is definitely my most bonded glider. He came to me, approx a month OOP and weighed about 20 grams. I fed him every hour on the hour, for six weeks. Thank God my daughter helped me or I'd never have gotten any sleep. He was (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets baby and also has 2 parasites and 1 bacteria. He didn't have a cage mate until he was about 8 months old, so besides being with me all day, he woke me every morning around 5, to play. Since he was alone, I became his cage mate. I love all of my babies, but there's an extra strong bond between Roo and me. Raising a rejected joey is always a last resort but a necessary one sometimes. Everyone I know, who has raised a rejected joey, has a very special bond with them. You become their parent, they become your child.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Should I pull him? [Re: suggiemom1980] #913213
02/28/10 06:01 PM
02/28/10 06:01 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
Originally Posted By: tammyangel

And those who have had to hand raise a rejected joey can tell you that handraising these babies usually makes them be the sweetest babies ever and emotionally they do fine .Connie who has her baby Roo can tell you just how special that little boy is due to her having to hand raise him since the breeder who sold this joey sold it to the person right after his eyes were open.

Roo is definitely my most bonded glider. He came to me, approx a month OOP and weighed about 20 grams. I fed him every hour on the hour, for six weeks. Thank God my daughter helped me or I'd never have gotten any sleep. He was (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets baby and also has 2 parasites and 1 bacteria. He didn't have a cage mate until he was about 8 months old, so besides being with me all day, he woke me every morning around 5, to play. Since he was alone, I became his cage mate. I love all of my babies, but there's an extra strong bond between Roo and me. Raising a rejected joey is always a last resort but a necessary one sometimes. Everyone I know, who has raised a rejected joey, has a very special bond with them. You become their parent, they become your child.

I agree in that they bond strongly. I myself had to handraise my Arwen from 5 days oop! What I meant when I mentioned a concern of emotional developement...MOST animal babies when taken from the mother too young defiantely develope some kind of emotional or physical health issue. There is plenty of evidence supporting that. What we can provide in the way of mother's milk is no where as healthy as the REAL mother. Sometimes the risk is worth it to save a life...WHAT I WORRY ABOUT is people wanting that special bond so bad they pull a joey and hand raise it when that doesnt NEED to be done. I am not saying that is the case here! but so many visit this forum and hear us talking about those "bonds" and I worry about someone doing it for the sake of the relationship they think they will have, at the risk of a baby who will not be as healthy as adjusted as they should be. I tried to get the point across gently, because I know how easy it is to be misunderstood here. I would love to see some people support the thought that handraising is only for emergencies. sorry if I upset anybody, but the truth is we are not the best parent they can have.

^website link wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024