Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous #875029
12/01/09 10:13 AM
12/01/09 10:13 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
So many times I have read over and over and over NOT to burn candles or use plug ins around your sugar gliders as it is dangerous.

I am here to say I have been burning candles IN the SAME room as my gliders along with using plug in's since I have had them and thank God, nothing bad has ever happened to them yet. Now mind you, I dont have the plug ins right next to their cage, or the candle burning right next to a cage, but they ARE in the same room.

Another myth, I believe. I have candles burning all the time in my house and when my store was opened I burned them in there with ALL my different animals I carried and nobody ever got ill from them or died.

I do NOT use the metal wick candles as I have never really trusted burning metal...but the plain wick candles...yep, you will usually always smell one burning here.

The latest one I am burning is a Febreeze Hawaiin Aloha candle and it literally smells like an everglade forest. You know like when you walk on a lot of freshly cut Christmas trees? Well if you want your house to smell like Christmas, go get this candle today!!

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #875044
12/01/09 11:38 AM
12/01/09 11:38 AM

C
Chelsie
Unregistered
Chelsie
Unregistered
C

I have only had my gliders for about a year, the whole time I have had a scentcy wickless candle in the same room. I have never had any issues with candles and my babies. I think this one is myth.

Thanks for the suggestion Peggy! I may have to try that one!I LOVE the smell(s) of christmas! smile

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #875047
12/01/09 11:47 AM
12/01/09 11:47 AM
Long Island, NY
gliderdad79 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
gliderdad79  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Long Island, NY
Same here Peggy, Ive been burning candles in the room for years and never had any problems at all!! Would love to remember where this one came from!

Eddie

In the Tropics somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder!

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching!
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: gliderdad79] #875049
12/01/09 11:53 AM
12/01/09 11:53 AM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Huh. 0.o Interesting! I've been wanting to put plug ins in my room for AGES now but ever since I heard they weren't good for the sugs, I haven't. Do you think it might just be certain ones or just something that got started because they're such small critters?

We used to burn candles and use plug ins around our guinea pigs all the time and still do around our parrot with no problems at all.

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Kiiru] #875054
12/01/09 12:02 PM
12/01/09 12:02 PM

S
sweethang888
Unregistered
sweethang888
Unregistered
S

Maybe it started because guine pigs for sure cant handle plug inns. I had to learn that the hard way to, i thought it was a myth with them.. But you will be able to tell if they dont do well with it. Their eyes get real runny and swell up. I didnt know what was wrong with whiskers (my guine pig
) SO if any thing you could look out for signs like so. I think animals are like people, maybe they are allergic to certain smells like we are.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Kiiru] #875057
12/01/09 12:08 PM
12/01/09 12:08 PM

E
eden
Unregistered
eden
Unregistered
E

Last edited by eden; 12/01/09 12:20 PM.
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #875116
12/01/09 02:12 PM
12/01/09 02:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I have soy candles with natural cotton wicks that I will burn sometimes. You have to be very carefull burning candles around parrots as their lungs are so different than any other animal and a real strong scented candle can irritate their lungs or even kill them.

From a safety standpoint I would never, never use a plug in in my house. When I was active on the fire department as a first responder I received some fire training so I could go out with the guys on fire calls. We received several article about plug ins causing fires. Granted they may have been made "safer" since I was on the fire department. But anything that heats escential oils can cause a fire. It only takes one heating element in a plug in to be faulty and cause a fire.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Feather] #875141
12/01/09 03:01 PM
12/01/09 03:01 PM

S
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
S

I burn soy candles with cotton wicks as well in my house but not in the bedroom with the sugs ever.

I do use the plugs in every once in awhile but never near their cage

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #875144
12/01/09 03:04 PM
12/01/09 03:04 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I burn candles (not metal wicks) and essential oils...they are softer smells, nothing strong as that bothers me

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: MizValorie] #875262
12/01/09 06:32 PM
12/01/09 06:32 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Well I must just have amazing healthy critters because I have burned my candles and used plug ins with both G-Pigs and my Parrot. Have a candle burning right now and it isnt affecting the parrot at all.

Could it be just the CLOSENESS of the candle burning could bother them or the smoke that comes off the candle?? I dont have my candles close enough to cause them that kind of harm and the plug ins were never right near the g-pigs, but they were in the same room??

I do know there was an article on the wire wick candles producing some kind of toxic fumes and that is why I choose not to burn that specific kind.

Now the plug in's being a fire hazard...Ive not thought of that before, but I can see where it could be. Hmmm...maybe I will throw away my plug ins and just stick with my febreeze candles!! wink

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #875374
12/01/09 09:33 PM
12/01/09 09:33 PM

E
eden
Unregistered
eden
Unregistered
E

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Well I must just have amazing healthy critters because I have burned my candles and used plug ins with both G-Pigs and my Parrot. Have a candle burning right now and it isnt affecting the parrot at all.

Unless you have had blood work and other tests done there is no way for you to know for sure that it is not affecting them. If you own a parrot you really should be aware of how their lungs function as it is very different from our own, as has already been said. Burning anything around a bird is dangerous and just because you can't see it harming your bird does not mean that it is not doing so and it certainly is not a guarantee that you will continue to be so lucky. As a fellow parrot owner who has known many birds who were either permanently affected or killed by fume inhalation, I am very concerned for the wellbeing of your parrot and urge you to be more careful and to educate yourself as to the fragility of their lungs.

Last edited by eden; 12/01/09 09:34 PM.
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #875383
12/01/09 09:42 PM
12/01/09 09:42 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Eden, thank you for your concern, but I can assure you my parrot sees the vet EVERY three months mainly for a beak, nail and wing treatment and at that time gets an overall checkup. I have one of the BEST Avian/Exotic vets around. He has been in my store many a times and has seen me burning candles, and he is the one who confirmed my fear with the metal wicked candles and he also told me to NEVER keep my bird in the kitchen at ANY time while cooking.

As I stated, it is not like the candle is right next to the bird nor the gliders and they are not breathing in the fumes.

I have done MUCH research on every single animal that has EVER been in my care, whether it was one I was selling at my store or in my home as my family member and anyone that knows me can vouch for that.

Bloodwork on animals.... I wonder if there is ANYONE else here on the board that believes in it more...let me ask, how many times have you ever taken your gliders in for blood work and if you have what panels did you have run?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Srlb] #875437
12/01/09 11:34 PM
12/01/09 11:34 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Peggy probably has more bloodwork done in a year than most of us will ever have in our pets' entire life. LOL

I am one of the chickens, I threw out all my candles when I first read here that they would hurt my gliders.
Terrible to give them up, my hubby & I both were huge candle freaks & now we just sniff the new scents in the store & leave them sitting there on the shelf.

With this coming to to light I may have to run out & pick up some of the wonderful scents we ran across last Friday, heavenly.

Anyone got any good news about my Lysol spray. I also chunked those out when the gliders took over. Would love to have my germ killer back, with teenage boys you can't have enough Lysol to combat all the cooties they drag home! LOL

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Trigger] #875493
12/02/09 01:02 AM
12/02/09 01:02 AM

E
eden
Unregistered
eden
Unregistered
E

Peggy, I never accused you of not getting regular vet check-ups, in fact I never called into question the quality of medical care you provide at all. I stated that you cannot know what is going on inside your bird unless you run a tox screen or other similar procedure. What you see on the outside is not adequate for diagnostic evaluations. I applaud your dedication to providing exceptional care for your animals, I just feel concern when a posting advocates the use of something that has been proven to be harmful to pets. Candles are harmful is not a theory, it is proven fact. I have not seen sufficient evidence to convince me that there are any safe candles to use but that is my personal opinion, if you choose to use candles that are safer in your opinion then that is completely up to you, but it should be made clear in a thread that publicly advocates them that while some candles may be safer to use than others, burning them carries risks and the decision to use them should be a personal choice after all the risks are presented and understood.

Also, though I do not need to justify myself I assure you that every animal in my care also receives the absolute best care and regular veterinary attention from a clinic that specializes in avians and other exotics and I too place an extreme importance on the knowledge I have of each species within my home.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: Trigger] #875498
12/02/09 01:08 AM
12/02/09 01:08 AM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

I am a HUGE candle lover too and I got rid of all my candles even my favorite apple Yankee candles. frown
I was so afraid of hurting my gliders. But now that more and more people are using them and not having issues I may have to look into it further. I would love to have my candles back! I miss my house smelling so yummy!

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #875502
12/02/09 01:13 AM
12/02/09 01:13 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I stopped burning candles but do have scented ones just sitting around. That does give off a little bit of scent. I also have the bamboo sticks in scented oil, but like the candles, nowhere near my gliders. They're in the bathroom and kitchen. I wonder now, if the bamboo sticks in the scented oil could be dangerous?

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: suggiemom1980] #876336
12/03/09 03:14 PM
12/03/09 03:14 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I stopped using candles years ago because I am afraid if a glider got loose, they could get seriously injured by the flame/wax. Someone on here had a glider jump on one after the candle was out a bit but the glider had wax on it that was very hard to remove.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: SugarBlossoms] #876356
12/03/09 04:10 PM
12/03/09 04:10 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

What about those cinnamon scented pinecones and decorative brooms? Are they safe?
Or the gel things that you just slide the too up and set it somewhere?

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876358
12/03/09 04:17 PM
12/03/09 04:17 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

I haven't stopped using any of my good smellin stuff because I have never seen and HARD evidence that they do harm. I have never used the metal wick candle discs sctrictly because they are made from galvanized metal and that in itself is dangerous. My brother is a welder and I have seen him with galvanized poisoning so many times over the years. I am just afraid that tiny bit of burning metal would do damage to such teeny delicate lungs. But candles... I burn them every day! Just not right up against the cage, and NEVER when there is a glider loose. Don't want burned babies frown

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876360
12/03/09 04:22 PM
12/03/09 04:22 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: NavyChiefWife
What about those cinnamon scented pinecones and decorative brooms? Are they safe?
Or the gel things that you just slide the too up and set it somewhere?

I use all of them, I just don't let the gliders touch them thumb

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876361
12/03/09 04:25 PM
12/03/09 04:25 PM
Southern Virginia
R
rdobbie23 Offline
Glider Addict
rdobbie23  Offline
Glider Addict
R

Southern Virginia
I stoped useing candles when my cak Kujo decided to investigate and burnt off all his wiskers! OK I admit he was not a very bright cat! LOL He was fine though!

I do use the plug ins, but I do not think that it helps really. My boys sell by day two after a cage cleaning! LOL

*Megan*

Owned by:
4 suggies :leu: Sucre & :rtmo: Bijou
:wfb: Bubbles & :rtmo: Baby Girl

Valley bulldog: Chassis
American Bully: Dink
Doberman: Sheba
American Bully: Grady
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876362
12/03/09 04:26 PM
12/03/09 04:26 PM

S
sweethang888
Unregistered
sweethang888
Unregistered
S

They have those really cool fake candles.. It looks like a candle but its not. Its a smelly wrapper that smells wrapped around this square light and it flickers to look like a candle. It smells good but not to strong.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876418
12/03/09 07:16 PM
12/03/09 07:16 PM

M
maakea2007
Unregistered
maakea2007
Unregistered
M

We have used the glade plug-ins the ones with the fan and use it on the lowest setting and it has never bothered our little guys! We have also taken them to the vet numerous times and the vet came to our house and never said anything. So, I don't know!!
For obvious reasons candles should be used under supervision but I don't see a problem with them either as long as they are a safe distance away from cages and make sure they are not lit while the gliders are out of course. I will look at those links though as I have never heard of issues with using plug-ins or candles causing health problems.

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876670
12/04/09 11:34 AM
12/04/09 11:34 AM

C
Chelsie
Unregistered
Chelsie
Unregistered
C

I have been using Scentsy burners for a long time now. They are not the same as candles, and have been tested safe for all humans and animals!

Quote:
A wickless candle, called a Scentsy Bar or a Scentsy Brick, is a highly fragrant wax bar that is warmed to release fragrance into the air. Because the wax is gently warmed rather than burned, it can hold more fragrance oil than a traditional candle. And, because there is no flame, there is no smoke, soot or lead. Scentsy wickless candles are a safer alternative to traditional candles.

I know this thread is about candles, but I wanted to share that this is what I have been using and I LOVE them!

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876683
12/04/09 12:15 PM
12/04/09 12:15 PM

C
chelsea21212003
Unregistered
chelsea21212003
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: Chelsie
I have been using Scentsy burners for a long time now. They are not the same as candles, and have been tested safe for all humans and animals!

Quote:
A wickless candle, called a Scentsy Bar or a Scentsy Brick, is a highly fragrant wax bar that is warmed to release fragrance into the air. Because the wax is gently warmed rather than burned, it can hold more fragrance oil than a traditional candle. And, because there is no flame, there is no smoke, soot or lead. Scentsy wickless candles are a safer alternative to traditional candles.

I know this thread is about candles, but I wanted to share that this is what I have been using and I LOVE them!

Would this be the same as say a tart? That can be warmed in a warmer? Because this is what I am currently using to scent my home, and if they are safe, then I'll consider using them after I (finally) do bring home my babies! Interesting topic guys! I learn sooooo much on this forum!

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876741
12/04/09 02:36 PM
12/04/09 02:36 PM

C
Chelsie
Unregistered
Chelsie
Unregistered
C

I am not sure. I would send an email to the manufacturer to see what the tart consists of. If it is all natural then it would be the same. The warmer I have is a plug in warmer, it looks like a night light. Here is the web site so you can see:

http://www.scentsy.net/

they make great christmas gifts too! smile

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #876748
12/04/09 03:07 PM
12/04/09 03:07 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Scentsy is actually a brand. They sell tarts, but that doesn't mean all tarts will live up to the Scentsy standard or guarantees, because other companies make tarts also. Each manufacturer has different standards.

The scentsy site is Scentsy

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: princessmegi] #877010
12/04/09 11:06 PM
12/04/09 11:06 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

uh oh, I use the bath and body works wall flower plug ins, I hope its not bad frown

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #877372
12/05/09 09:44 PM
12/05/09 09:44 PM

C
chelsea21212003
Unregistered
chelsea21212003
Unregistered
C

Hmmmmmm this looks a lot like the same type of products that I use, except I use Yankee Candle tarts in a warmer... anybody know anything yea or nae about this brand?

Re: Burning Candles or plug in's are dangerous [Re: ] #877666
12/06/09 03:40 PM
12/06/09 03:40 PM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
The Scentsy warmers use a light bulb instead of a flame to heat the wax. So there is no soot or lead released into the air only fragrance.

~ Kathy ~

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024