Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: hushpuppy] #843084
09/23/09 01:08 PM
09/23/09 01:08 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Anita,

I'm not saying that it is true. I haven't seen proof either. But regardless, all those items are not urinated on by my gliders like a galvanized cage would be. That is my point. As far as the beauty products, zinc oxide is only in 6 products that I come in contact with. So it's possible that the gliders could come into minute traces of zinc oxide, but not nearly as likely as them being in contact as a zinc coated cage. Now, I tend to agree with you that there has been no proof, but I think instead of posting back and forth we need to come up with a way to prove it true or false.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: princessmegi] #843109
09/23/09 01:53 PM
09/23/09 01:53 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Meggi, many of the things I listed get urinated on by sugar gliders regularly. Maybe yours don’t but mine just don’t give a hoot where they go. They don’t care if it is a flat screen TV or the old one that needs a digital box. They don’t care if it is a designer purse or a cheap Walmart bag. And anything that doesn’t smell like them needs to be rubbed on until it does. So yes, I would like to see proof that galvanizing causes UTI’s as the OP claimed. I’ve been asking for it since this post started.

But let’s get to the real issue here. I’m not naïve enough to believe that this is about hardware cloth cages and I doubt that you are that naïve either. This is about the heads (just the heads because the rest is covered) of six zinc plated screws and one zinc plated bolt that I’m using in the new wheel. We knew there would be resistance and we knew pretty much where it would come from. Unlike some, we don’t toss something together and hope for the best. We knew before we put the wheel out that there has never been a glider illness or death from galvanized much less zinc plating which is much harder. So I guess I am still asking for proof; not old wives tales or speculation. Proof.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: hushpuppy] #843111
09/23/09 01:54 PM
09/23/09 01:54 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

Also, zinc is a mineral that is in alot of food we eat. Just looked at my grandson's rice cereal and it contains zinc.

I don't have a box of Wombaroo, but I can almost bet ya it has zinc too.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843114
09/23/09 02:02 PM
09/23/09 02:02 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

Just found vitamin and mineral content of Wombaroo Powder and it contains 25mg of zinc. Infant rice cereal has 25% of the daily recommended value for children of zinc.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843117
09/23/09 02:04 PM
09/23/09 02:04 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Anita,

I didn't realize that was what this was about. Now that I do, these posts sure are making a lot more sense though. lol. I saw your new wheel and love the idea of it. I haven't been on the boards as much as usual though, so apparently missed the drama somewhere.

My gliders have their own room with a walk-in play closet, so I am able to regulate what they come in contact with. They don't play in the rest of our house. I can see where gliders in general though would come in contact with those things.

I don't know how to prove it other than to take some galvanized wire, or one of the pieces you are using in your new wheel and soak it in glider pee and watch to see what happens. Possibly have a vet test it afterwards to check for the same bacteria that are present in a UTI. I do tend to agree with you though that it probably isn't a cause as we've been taught and teaching for some time.

Last edited by princessmegi; 09/23/09 02:48 PM.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: princessmegi] #843118
09/23/09 02:05 PM
09/23/09 02:05 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Tammy that makes me curious as to what amount of zinc is in the diet I feed. I'll have to check into that.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: princessmegi] #843122
09/23/09 02:07 PM
09/23/09 02:07 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
For a long time we have been comparing gliders to birds. We base what plants are safe for gliders on what is safe for birds. How was it decided that birds are the best animals to compare gliders to??? I've seen it a lot and always wondered.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: princessmegi] #843124
09/23/09 02:08 PM
09/23/09 02:08 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Thanks Megi. There hasn't been any drama. What you see here is all there is. I think my drama days are over. LOL You don't really need drama when you have confidence.

Anita Rae

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: princessmegi] #843135
09/23/09 02:16 PM
09/23/09 02:16 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: princessmegi
For a long time we have been comparing gliders to birds. We base what plants are safe for gliders on what is safe for birds. How was it decided that birds are the best animals to compare gliders to??? I've seen it a lot and always wondered.

I was just wondering the same thing Megi, and also thinking about the digestive system of birds too.

Birds have to have gravel to ingest to break down their food, if they swallow a chunk of zinc and the way they digest food with the gravel, it would grind that zinc down and put all of it into their system.

That doesn't happen with other animals, we and other animals (my dog for instance) will swallow something and it will just pass through their system.

Again, just thinking here.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843209
09/23/09 04:01 PM
09/23/09 04:01 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:

Probably because birds have the most delicate digestive and respritory systems in animals that HAVE been studied in depth. Especially respritory systems (why miners used finches or canaries to detect gasses in the tunnels).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Dancing] #843219
09/23/09 04:15 PM
09/23/09 04:15 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

Quote:
why miners used finches

poor poor finches!! shakehead

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843221
09/23/09 04:17 PM
09/23/09 04:17 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Kris, I agree but I guess better a finch or canary instead of a handfull of human lives. Good thing they have electronic detection gizmos now and don't have to use the birds.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Dancing] #843228
09/23/09 04:32 PM
09/23/09 04:32 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

Hey you guys can get a research study going..LOL

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843233
09/23/09 04:44 PM
09/23/09 04:44 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

I'm the one that actually bought the first whirl wheel Anita listed.. I was telling a friend I didnt even read the description.. dont need to... I've trusted Anita and Charlie with my gliders lives for 3 years, dont feel the need to doubt them now. With that said... I have no idea what zinc even is other than a mineral.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #843256
09/23/09 05:51 PM
09/23/09 05:51 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline OP
Owner
KarenE  Offline OP
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: hushpuppy
But let’s get to the real issue here. I’m not naïve enough to believe that this is about hardware cloth cages and I doubt that you are that naïve either. This is about the heads (just the heads because the rest is covered) of six zinc plated screws and one zinc plated bolt that I’m using in the new wheel. We knew there would be resistance and we knew pretty much where it would come from. Unlike some, we don’t toss something together and hope for the best. We knew before we put the wheel out that there has never been a glider illness or death from galvanized much less zinc plating which is much harder. So I guess I am still asking for proof; not old wives tales or speculation. Proof.

Anita, I can assure you moving the thread from Housing to this forum was to discuss whether or not there was any truth to UTI's being caused by galvanized metals, in particular cages as we were all warned when we were newbies and still warn newbies today.

If someone else had another motive for starting the thread in the first place in Housing, seems to me from the posts in this thread, it is pretty clear UTI's are the result of a bacterial infection.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: KarenE] #843266
09/23/09 06:11 PM
09/23/09 06:11 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Yes mayam I agree. I'm glad that this topic was put here. I think we all learned a lot and I look forward to participating in more of these kind of conversations in the future. I think this new forum will be wonderful for knocking down or verifing some of the old rumors.

Last edited by hushpuppy; 09/23/09 06:25 PM.

Anita Rae

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: hushpuppy] #843473
09/24/09 09:15 AM
09/24/09 09:15 AM
Lexington, KY
Lucy Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lucy  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lexington, KY
I need to check in more often! This is a GREAT idea to have a forum about these things, because mostly, we don't know. I think what happens is that people post a thought, and then it becomes a "fact" and then it becomes "this will kill your glider." I've said for a long time that the only way we can know for sure is through empirical studies isolating that one variable that we're looking for. Other ways that you can try to find out is to find out the longevity of the glider's life and then try to see how that glider lived - but then you can only have correlations and not really causes because there are SO many factors to consider!

So I love the de-bunking of unsubstantiated claims. Given that, I usually follow the old suggestions anyway. My cages will probably never be galvanized, but I also haven't seen anything that would suggest it's shortened a glider's life.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Lucy] #843811
09/24/09 07:55 PM
09/24/09 07:55 PM
Iowa
Akane Offline
Glider Lover
Akane  Offline
Glider Lover

Iowa
There is one way I could think of that galvanized metal could lead to a higher chance of UTI. Irritation can often allow infection to thrive where it wouldn't or cause an animal to want to rub an area more increasing the chance of bacteria being spread to that area. If for some reason (urine reaction, the oxidization of older galvanized cages, or just a sensitivity to it by gliders) the galvanized cages were causing a bit of mild irritation that isn't obvious to us but bothers the glider or the sensitive internal tissue a little it could then make it easier to get an infection. I would think it would take repeated contact with a substance like that to cause enough irritation or give enough opportunities for an infection to happen which would explain why having them around a few galvanized metal objects or occasional exposure would do nothing but an entire cage made of it would. Metal allergies are common in my family. My mom can pick up nickel. She can rub it across her arm. Nothing will happen. If she wears sandals with nickel buckles or nickel jewelry all day her skin breaks out.

Entirely a random theory but I've found even when there is no concrete proof if something cannot be traced back to one source and instead is being reinforced by lots of people there tends to be some type of truth to it. Maybe not exactly what we expect or as severe as we think but it's worth trying to find an explanation why it could be true instead of only trying to find why it isn't.

The fact zinc is in food really doesn't mean anything. Of course it's in supplements and food. It's a necessary mineral to keeping them and us alive. We also have a tendency toward zinc deficiency not excess. Just because you can ingest a tiny bit of something as needed to stay alive doesn't mean you can't be sensitive to it, particularly a contact allergy, or have a reaction to a lot of it. While zinc sensitivity is rare in humans gliders aren't humans.

Last edited by Akane; 09/24/09 07:57 PM.

RIP sora :grey:

RIP Ryuu :grey:
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Akane] #843875
09/24/09 09:44 PM
09/24/09 09:44 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Well, I know I started taking zinc supplements, 50 mg and the first three days was fine, now if I take one I literally get sick to my stomach and as soon as my body removes it, I am fine...so guess I have enough in my body!! LOL!

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: hushpuppy] #844379
09/25/09 08:46 PM
09/25/09 08:46 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
I'm fairly new to this forum (still a joey) smile , but we have been researching gliders for some time now, and taking in a lot of information on GC. We will be getting our first gliders in about three weeks.

I have a physical science background (but I'm not a chemist or biologist), and tend to look at statements such as "galvanized cages kill gliders" (or give them UTI) with healthy skepticism until I can determine what is the basis for making such a claim.

As someone pointed out, zinc is a necessary part of our nutrition and that of other animals. So why do birds, in particular, seem to have a problem in galvanized cages? Three of the four links that Dancing provided pretty much say why - the birds ingested the zinc. The swallowed pennies (copper plated zinc), or screws, or pieces of galvanized metal they pecked/bit off of toys or cages. If I swallow enough pennies, I will get zinc poisoning. The zinc has to be ingested. I have found no source that indicates mere proximity to zinc causes any harm to birds or anything else. Where some
articles refer to zinc "exposure" for animals, if you read further you discover that by "exposure" they mean exposure through ingestion.

Galvanized cages don't kill birds - eating galvanized cages (or metal pieces) does.

Here's the Wikipedia link to zinc toxicity, which has references to some scientific/vet/medical journals and web sites on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity

Unless your gliders continually and habitually chew on the cage wires or like to eat bright shiny objects, I don't think you should have anything to worry about as far as zinc toxicity from a galvanized cage is concerned.

Galvanized metal causing UTI makes no logical sense. UTI is caused by bacteria (as Peggy's vet pointed out). A dirty cage is a dirty cage, PVC coated or galvanized.

As for wiping down new galvanized cages with vinegar, the vinegar is acidic and probably helps remove any residue from the galvanizing process that might remain.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Berg] #845332
09/28/09 10:40 AM
09/28/09 10:40 AM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Berg, that is exactly what I said. But you said it so much better.

I just wanted to drop by here and give a big HELLO to Lucy. Girl! Where ya been? We miss you around here.

Anita Rae

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: hushpuppy] #846482
09/30/09 08:52 PM
09/30/09 08:52 PM
Lexington, KY
Lucy Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lucy  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lexington, KY
Thanks, Anita - I'm trying to do better about coming by more often!

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Lucy] #854038
10/18/09 02:25 PM
10/18/09 02:25 PM

M
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
M

YIKES!!

I have read through all 2 pages of this debate, and to be totally honest, I still cannot decide which is more accurate information! I really hope we can get some more concrete evidence as to whether or not galvanized metal is hazardous or not. I do agree however that it doesn't seem to make much sense that it would cause a UTI, but then again, I have no vet/science background, so I can't really judge. I will probably stick to some other material until I know for sure...just to be on the safe side. I really hope that we can (very soonly :P) put this whole issue to rest. =]

Thanks for a great debate everyone! It really gave me something to think about!

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ] #854930
10/20/09 01:39 AM
10/20/09 01:39 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
The theory that birds "ingest more because they swallow gravel" isn't true. Almost all of the zinc toxicity I have seen in birds has been in psittacines, which do not use grit to grind their food. And yet, many die from zinc toxicity.

Yes - we need some zinc in our diet. However, it is one of the necessary elements that *can* be overdosed in the body. Too much of a good thing causes symptoms very similar to lead poisoning, and then death.

Additionally - the zinc coating used in galvanized cages is a different consistency and prepared differently than zinc used in the some of the other parts listed here. The zinc in galvanized cages is particularly soft.

I'm not risking it. Like I said - I've seen the birds who die VERY PAINFUL deaths from zinc toxicity! Don't need to see that in my gliders!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: ValkyrieMome] #856476
10/23/09 02:08 PM
10/23/09 02:08 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
It appears most zinc toxicity in psittacines results from ingestion through food, water, or other means. There are a lot more ways to "ingest" materials aside from swallowing pieces of something. See this link:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/zinc.html

Google "psittacines zinc" for a lot more.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the digestive systems/metabolism of psittacines and sugar gliders are comparable.

There are differing qualities of galvanized wire, and some of it probably isn't suitable for a cage. The oxidation of some galvanized coatings does contain zinc, and that could end up on your glider's feet if it isn't cleaned off of the wire.

Frankly, I prefer the PVC coated wire because it looks better and is easier to keep clean. However, I wouldn't balk at using good quality galvanized wire for a cage. Even with the PVC cage I thoroughly cleaned it before the gliders took up residence.

The bottom line is to do what you feel is best for your gliders.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Berg] #867444
11/16/09 12:38 AM
11/16/09 12:38 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I wanted to revive this post with a little bit of actual history.

Before I heard the rumor/fact/myth? that galvanized steel was bad for gliders ALL of my gliders were in cages made of this. I had two of my breeding pairs in galvanized cages for at least 3 years before I switched. Not ONCE did ANY of my gliders contract a UTI.

Furthermore, 2 of the gliders that I had in the galvanized cages have passed on. One due to a bacterial infection that lead to jaundice, the other simply of old age. I had a necropsy done on Pepito, my male, and he was determined to have been in good health prior to death and was roughly 9-13 years of age (I got him as an adult). Pepper, my sweet little girl, was around the same age and died due to old age complicated by a bacterial infection and the jaundice.

I LOVED my galvanized cages, they never rusted and were easy to build and clean.

I would love to see some actual research done on this. I personally doubt that any glider could ever ingest a piece of the wire, so if that's the only concern, it should be considered ok to build with.

The fact that people don't use it and go out of their way to use stainless has NOTHING to do with whether or not it is safe.

I think this is a very interesting subject.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: oakley] #867842
11/16/09 07:30 PM
11/16/09 07:30 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: oakley
The fact that people don't use it and go out of their way to use stainless has NOTHING to do with whether or not it is safe.

I may be misunderstanding here, I'm sorry if that is the case - but people not using galvanized wire has had everything to do with whether or not it is safe. I am not stating here that we know for certain that it is unsafe, as that is why this thread exists, to try to flesh out where the idea came from. But the reason people have actively avoided ZP wire is for fear that it is unsafe or can cause health issues.

That has always been my understanding, are there other reasons people avoid ZP cages?

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: sugarlope] #867867
11/16/09 08:21 PM
11/16/09 08:21 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't write that the best way I could.

What I meant is this:

1) Galvanized wire may or may not be unsafe
2) People avoid using it due to the potential risk
3) This does not mean that ZP cages are definitely unsafe, this means that it is unknown

Is that any clearer? Just because we avoid it doesn't make it unsafe. I agree that we should avoid ZP cages until data and research prove otherwise.

Thanks!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: oakley] #868068
11/17/09 07:02 AM
11/17/09 07:02 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
I am one of the few that has been around in the glider community for almost 13 years.

So.... many many years ago... all gliders were housed in galvanised cages. And with it came the problems of UTI infections and especially in the male gliders. Often these gliders self mutilated themselves due to the pain from severe infections. Remember, back then most vets and owners had no idea what was causing this problem.

Thus... when the PVC wire cages came about... hmmmn something like nine to ten years ago... within a short time.... the incidents of UTI's and self mutilation began to drop. This decline was attribited to better cages the gliders were being housed in. Galvanized cages became a thing of the past and were replaced with PVC wire and Flight cages that were Baked Enamel. These newer cages were also much easier to clean, had more visual appeal, and most importantly did not smell after they were cleaned.

Look at a well used galvanized cage and then a glider's anatomy.

Galvanized cages do become pitted over time. Not only will a rough wire harbor bacteria... the male's penis would become irritated and the stage was set for a UTI to develpe inside the urinary tract of the male glider. Females could also become infected with UTI's but the UTI's and self mutilations were the highest among males. Why? Because of their territoral marking behavior.

With the Replacement of better housing such as PVC cages and Baked Enamel cages... the chances of a glider becoming ill with a UTI or Self Mutilation has been greatly reduced.

So.... is galvanized wire safe for Sugar Gliders? In my book it certainly is not.

Re: Galvanized Products Cause UTI's [Re: Judie] #870714
11/22/09 07:23 PM
11/22/09 07:23 PM
NY
G
GliderFun Offline
Glider Lover
GliderFun  Offline
Glider Lover
G

NY
Are you sure that it was the galvanized wire that caused the UTI's?

I mean, you have been around about 13 years. Have you not changed anything else besides the wire of the cages 9-10 years ago?

Was there a different ingredient in the food you were using?
Were you using a different cleaner for the cages?
Were you washing your hands before playing with the gliders?
What soap were you using?
Did that soap change it's ingredients 10 years ago or did you switch soaps?
Were you washing the pouches/etc with a different detergent?
Did the detergents have a different chemical in it that was removed 10 years ago?
How were the cages galvanized? I think there are 2 ways aren't there?

Did you Change ANYTHING else besides the material of the cage because it's unscientific to claim one thing is the cause of another when there are so many variables at play.

It's like saying, my daughter was at your house so she must have gotten sick from your kids (when she goes to school and hangs out with other people who are sick as well)

*shrug* people have used this metal for a long time with no adverse effects. You used it for 3 years and saw UTI's

Another person who posted used it for 3 years and had no problems.

were the 3 years the same 3 years or was her 3years more recent which could mean the wire was galvanize differently or something else even.

just throwing some other things out there

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024