Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Metacam #843055
09/23/09 12:07 PM
09/23/09 12:07 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
This is related to Gizmo's illness, but of another topic.

Metacam is prescribed as a pain medication for dogs. In order to give it to sugar gliders, some adjustments are needed.

The local vet (not Gizmo's exotic vet) did some calculations. I asked them to explain to me how they got to it, as it did not make sense as it seemed like a lot of medication for his tiny body. They initally made a mistake with the calculations - it is a good thing I can be such a pain regarding my gliders!

I told the local vet that as far as I know, it is not safe to use Metacam with sugar gliders for more than 3 days. (I may be wrong, but think that I have read it somewhere). She insisted that when diluted 1:10 he can continue to use it. dunno

I need some advice. Tonight will be the second night.

Last edited by LSardou; 09/23/09 12:26 PM. Reason: edited

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Metacam [Re: Gizmogirl] #843056
09/23/09 12:09 PM
09/23/09 12:09 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Regardless of the dosage, do not use it more than three days. With gliders it can cause liver damage and even fatal liver failure.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Metacam [Re: Dancing] #843061
09/23/09 12:20 PM
09/23/09 12:20 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
I told her!!!!! tant Where can I get information on this so I can go and confirm this with her?

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam [Re: Gizmogirl] #843065
09/23/09 12:27 PM
09/23/09 12:27 PM

W
WendiH
Unregistered
WendiH
Unregistered
W

I have also heard this from my vet. When Paganini was so ill, our next step in pain relief for him that my vet spoke of was using morphine. I was pretty shocked about that!

Re: Metacam [Re: ] #843068
09/23/09 12:30 PM
09/23/09 12:30 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Morphine!!!!!!!!! WOW , scary Wendi. I still think of your little Paganini.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam [Re: Gizmogirl] #843087
09/23/09 01:09 PM
09/23/09 01:09 PM
chicago, il
ashley21 Offline
Glider Explorer
ashley21  Offline
Glider Explorer

chicago, il
My lil girl Finn was on metacam. But dont give any longer then 3 days.

Good Luck!

Proudly Owned by 10 Suggies:
:grey: Huckleberry & Finn
:grey: Zipper, :bb: Snap
:grey: RIP Button 6-1-2009 - 2-26-2013

RIP Boris 2-2012

heart Mommy and Wife heart
Re: Metacam [Re: ashley21] #843090
09/23/09 01:13 PM
09/23/09 01:13 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Metacam is not a "bad" medicine. It is an anti inflamitory and it does have it's purpose but it shouldn't be given to gliders for more than three days. For just pain management, Torbitol is a better choice as it can be given more often and it can be given long term without the damage to the liver that metacam can cause.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Metacam [Re: Dancing] #843095
09/23/09 01:22 PM
09/23/09 01:22 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Just though I would add to this. When we discussed Metacam with my vet (he had prescribed it for 4-5 days) he explained in the diluted dose he gave it would be okay. He had said in a higher concentration, yes, there would be a risk or organ damage.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Metacam [Re: SugareeErin] #843100
09/23/09 01:27 PM
09/23/09 01:27 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Erin, Spencers vet says the same thing about it. it is prescribed daily.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Metacam [Re: Cora] #843112
09/23/09 01:57 PM
09/23/09 01:57 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
My concern is that Gizzie is on other medication to boost his liver, and now he is on Metacam that may cause liver damage!

Teresa, I will find out about Torbitol, thank you.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam [Re: Gizmogirl] #843139
09/23/09 02:24 PM
09/23/09 02:24 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I have given metacam (a diluted dose) for a long period to two of my gliders - both still living and bloodwork never indicates liver damage. One of these gliders is Jackie Chan, and his progress and health are well documented.

Torb is a cheaper medication for pain managment, and does have its advantages, but it is also very short lasting (around an hour or so), so is not that effective in controlling pain for more serious issues. Metacam is much longer lasting.

I would love to hear of some documented proof of metacam causing liver damage in sugar gliders. I have asked this many times, but have never been given any solid PROOF. I do believe we should err on the side of caution, but sometimes I think we are told things so many times that we believe them with nothing to back up the statement.

From my experiences, gliders CAN be given a diluted dose of metacam over a longer period than 3 days with no damage done. There will always be exceptions, of course. Are my gliders that exception? I don't know. Still waiting for proof either way.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 09/23/09 02:26 PM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? #843146
09/23/09 02:32 PM
09/23/09 02:32 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Does anyone have documented proof of Metacam causing Liver or Kidney damage in Sugar Gliders?

Re: Metacam [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #843148
09/23/09 02:34 PM
09/23/09 02:34 PM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Yes, where can we find documented proof?

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver damage [Re: LSardou] #843150
09/23/09 02:38 PM
09/23/09 02:38 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
Haley was on Metacam just over a month and her liver was fine. I wish I could give more input but that is all I have for you.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver damage [Re: cyndiekb] #843171
09/23/09 03:14 PM
09/23/09 03:14 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
My vet had actually mentioned kidney damage, I can ask about documentation next time I see him.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver damage? [Re: SugareeErin] #843173
09/23/09 03:17 PM
09/23/09 03:17 PM
Springfield, IL
uraqt33 Offline
Glider Guardian
uraqt33  Offline
Glider Guardian

Springfield, IL
Metacam can cause kidney damage, aka renal failure, in cats and dogs...why wouldn't it in sugar gliders? The clinic I work at does presurgical bloodwork on all animals before prescribing metacam.

April
Wife to David heart
Loving mom to 9 glider fuzzbutts
My little angel angel angel : Skittles, Herky, and little Mr. Pickles

Glider Toys Unlimited
Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver damage? [Re: uraqt33] #843207
09/23/09 03:56 PM
09/23/09 03:56 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ok, I thought it was liver damage...is it kidney damage? Or could it be both?

My vets (3 different ones) have told me not to use metacam on gliders for more than three days IF at all because of the potential for organ damage. Having listened to my vets and taken their advice, I've not used it more than three days so have not had any adversely effected gliders.

620-704-9109

Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Dancing] #843210
09/23/09 04:01 PM
09/23/09 04:01 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Just as I posted in a previous thread:

I have given metacam (a diluted dose) for a long period to two of my gliders - both still living and bloodwork never indicates liver OR kidney damage. One of these gliders is Jackie Chan, and his progress and health are well documented.

Metacam has its advantages as it is both an anti-inflammatory and a pain medication. It is a long lasting pain medication, so it is sometimes the best option for managing pain.

I would love to hear of some documented proof of metacam causing liver or kidney damage in sugar gliders. I have asked this many times, but have never been given any solid PROOF. I do believe we should err on the side of caution, but sometimes I think we are told things so many times that we believe them with nothing to back up the statement.

From my experiences, gliders CAN be given a diluted dose of metacam over a longer period than 3 days with no damage done. How many days are safe? I can't say, I can only say that Jackie and Nugget both had it for more than 30 days straight. There will always be exceptions, of course. Are my gliders that exception? I don't know. Still waiting for proof either way.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #843230
09/23/09 04:38 PM
09/23/09 04:38 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
I think it is more of a case of "can" rather than "will" cause damage. Many animals probably wont have an issue, but some will and that is why they err on the side of caution.

The Healesville sanctuary vets recommend no more than 5 days at a time on meloxicam (metacam)for gliders and possums. Dosage rates are quoted and they are highly reduced amounts after the first initial dose.

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Marz] #843252
09/23/09 05:41 PM
09/23/09 05:41 PM
Springfield, IL
uraqt33 Offline
Glider Guardian
uraqt33  Offline
Glider Guardian

Springfield, IL
Originally Posted By: Marz
I think it is more of a case of "can" rather than "will" cause damage. Many animals probably wont have an issue, but some will and that is why they err on the side of caution.

Took the words right out of my mouth! agree

Last edited by uraqt33; 09/23/09 05:42 PM. Reason: typo :)

April
Wife to David heart
Loving mom to 9 glider fuzzbutts
My little angel angel angel : Skittles, Herky, and little Mr. Pickles

Glider Toys Unlimited
Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: uraqt33] #843496
09/24/09 10:05 AM
09/24/09 10:05 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
I came across these articles:

http://www.qwrc1.org.au/rnr/10.pdf

Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). The active ingredient is meloxicam. Inflammation and pain are triggered by the release of hormones known as prostaglandins. NSAIDS work by stopping the production of prostaglandins responsible for
swelling and pain. This makes the animal much more comfortable following accident or surgery.
Metacam is a new generation NSAID that acts selectively on just one group of prostaglandins, thus resulting in fewer side-effects. Metacam is used post-operatively
for cats and dogs, and for musculosketal disorders in dogs.

In wildlife it may be used in cases of trauma that result in swelling or inflammation, or post-operatively.
Metacam offers only MILD pain relief and is often used in conjunction with other pain relief drugs.

Like all drugs designed for cats and dogs, the dose rates for our smaller native species are very,
very small.

Metacam does not mix with water, so simply diluting the drug in water does not give an easy ‘half dose’. Metacam should not be used on animals with certain gastrointestinal disorders, impaired hepatic, cardiac or renal function, or haemorrhagic disorders. The use of Metacam with other NSAIDs, diuretics, anticoagulants and some antibiotics can cause toxic effects, and even death. Metacam should NEVER be given to a dehydrated animal. As with all drugs, never administer Metacam to an animal without first consulting a veterinarian.
by Sue White (wildlife carer)

http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/doghealth/treatment/rimadylandmetacam.html

Metacam (Meloxicam) under scrutiny

Metacam is another Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID's) which is also prescribed for relieving the inflammation and pain associated with arthritis and other bone and joint problems which dogs can suffer from.

Listed adverse effects are:
• Loss of Appetite
• Lethargy
• Diarrhoea
• Blood in stools
• Dark, tarry stools

The most serious adverse effects associated with all NSAID's occur in the Gastro-intestinal tract such as ulceration and bleeding. All NSAID'S can cause liver damage in dogs.

3,200 dogs had died or been euthanized and nearly 20,000 dogs had adverse effects within a few years of the emergence of NSAID's, though one must add that by then several million dogs in thousands of veterinary surgeries had been prescribed the drugs.

Caution should be taken when prescribing NSAIDs.

The drug companies still maintain that if prescribed correctly, laboratory tests have been carried out and the dog is carefully monitored their medicines are safe.

“Confident that there are millions of animals whose lives have improved by the pain-relieving benefits of Any owner being prescribed one of the NSAID's for their dog should always ask for a client information sheet explaining the possible side effects of the drug and what to look out for. These are not automatically handed out by vets who buy shipments of the drugs from pharmaceutical companies then repackage them in smaller quantities for the client. In the process, the information sheets may be lost and the vet often does not clearly communicate the importance of monitoring the dog for adverse effects.

Before prescribing NSAID's the vet should carry out appropriate tests to establish blood values. These tests are expensive and not all dogs are covered by insurance. Often owners refuse testing being carried out as they struggle to pay veterinary bills. While the dog is taking NSAID's the animal should be closely monitored. Owners should be aware that even what seems a minor side effect such as lethargy can quickly progress into an emergency scenario.

NSAID's should not be combined with other steroids like dexamethazone, prednisolone, or depomedrol as gastro-intestinal ulceration and bleeding can result. These drugs should also never be given to any dog with impaired gastro-intestinal, kidney, cardiovascular, or coagulation problems.

More information on the adverse effects of NSAID's can be viewed at: www.dogsadversereactions.com/nsaid/comparison.html

Michele Sharkey, DVM says:

"The side effects of NSAID's are very well known and very well documented but this information is not always getting to the pet owners. If the pet owner can recognise a possible reaction, stop the medication and get veterinary help, it could mean the difference between a good outcome and a disaster.”

Stephen Sundlof, DVM, PhD, director of the Centre for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) says:

“These are valuable drugs that help many pets to live to a ripe old age”.

Millions of dogs have benefited by taking NSAID's worldwide and on the whole these drugs give excellent pain relief for many arthritic dogs. With adequate pre-screening, intensive monitoring and improved communication between the veterinarian and the client adverse reactions to these drugs could be reduced.

Linda Baker, of "Adopting A Dog" said:

“Adverse drug reactions in dogs is still a little known, misunderstood topic which needs much more public education.”
Summary:

Any drug that dog owners give to their pets can have serious side effects and as owners we have the right to know as much as possible about any veterinary medication that we give our dogs just as we have the right to know about medicines we take ourselves.

Additional interesting reading when it comes to humans:

http://www.nsaids.info/nsaids/nsaid-drug-listing/

Oxicams
Enolic acid, a carbon- and hydroxyl-containing molecule (C=C–OH) made from carboxylic acid, is the base from which oxicam drugs are derived.
NSAIDs that are Oxicams
Droxicam
Lornoxicam
Meloxicam
Piroxicam
Tenoxicam

http://www.chiroweb.com/find/archives/general/consumer/nsaids.html/t_top

The authors are quick to note that different NSAIDs are no doubt associated with different degrees or types of risk, and that these risks may be influenced by patient-related factors such as age or disease. However, they also note that their results "strongly" suggest that chronic oral NSAIDs pose a high risk of adverse effects and urge that "patients receive minimum effective doses for the minimum possible time."

http://searchwarp.com/swa258501.htm

Liver and Renal Failure

Many people do not consider NSAID as drugs. Thus, they just take it without much consideration. Although the cases of liver and renal failure due to the prolonged and frequent use of NSAIDs are very few, the seriousness of this complication should be a real cause for concern. Experts believe that taking too much NSAIDs for several years could contribute to liver and kidney failure because of the way these drugs, particularly naproxen, affect urination and the overall metabolic system of the body.

http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/article-detail.php?ID=89

The FDA Identifies Safety Problems With NSAID Use

The FDA has been more closely examing NSAIDs in recent years and publishing repeated warnings about some serious problems associated with their use. In September 2002, the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee, along with experts from other committees, examined the evidence of U.S. cases of accidental and unintentional overdoses with NSAIDs and acetaminophen and related cases of gastrointestinal (GI) and renal (kidney) toxicity and identifed certain risk factors. The advisory committee's discussions and advice are at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/cder02.htm#NonprescriptionDrugs
In January 2004, the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) reiterated the concerns raised by the 2002 investigation when the CDER sent a letter to every State Board of Pharmacy to advise of safety issues for products containing NSAIDs or acetaminophen -- more specifically, the risk factors for GI bleeding and renal toxicity from their use.
Conclusion

Has enough been said about the dangers associated with NSAID’s? If you have not read the information on our websites and in “The Arthritis Chronicle,” please do so.
Stay with what we all know is clinically safe. If you suffer from osteoarthritis, high-quality glucosamine formulas can help control your pain and rehabilitate damaged cartilage without causing you to face all of the safety problems associated with NSAIDs.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Gizmogirl] #843502
09/24/09 10:18 AM
09/24/09 10:18 AM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

I haved used it with no side effects or anything on my gliders.

Just with any drug we take- there can always be side effects. It just depends on the glider I think. It could cause kidney damage on one glider and another will be ok with being on the Metacam.

We as glider owners need to watch and make sure we also give the correct dosage.

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: ] #843514
09/24/09 10:39 AM
09/24/09 10:39 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Originally Posted By: AmyLynn
I haved used it with no side effects or anything on my gliders.

Just with any drug we take- there can always be side effects. It just depends on the glider I think. It could cause kidney damage on one glider and another will be ok with being on the Metacam.

We as glider owners need to watch and make sure we also give the correct dosage.

This is true of ANY medication we give our babies.

I think that all of us understand that with ANY drug there are possible side effects and complications. What I don't like seeing is the panic we tend to ignite when we tell people "don't give it for more than 3 days, it can cause damage!" If a vet says give it for 10 days, and we have NO evidence that 10 days is, in fact, any more dangerous than any other drug MIGHT be, then why do we worry so many new owners, or owners already stressed from dealing with an injury in their baby? Often, we act like metacam is this big, bad, dangerous drug, when in fact, it is very helpful in many situations - and often the one I CHOOSE to use because it is so good at controlling swelling and pain.

I have always wondered where the "3 days only" thing came from also. WHERE Did that come from? Who started telling everyone that more than 3 days is dangerous? Why 3 days - why not 5, or 7, or 10....? Where did "no more than 3 days" come from?

MY opinion is that it is better to educate owners about the possible side effects of ANY medication they are prescribed and let the vets determine the number of days a medication should be given. After all, the POSSIBLE effects of metacam are just as serious as the POSSIBLE side effects of torb, baytril, flagyl, TMPS, and so on. One must ALWAYS weigh risk vs. benefit.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #843521
09/24/09 10:57 AM
09/24/09 10:57 AM

W
WendiH
Unregistered
WendiH
Unregistered
W

Val, I don't know where that "no more than three days" came from, but my vets seem to believe it. It wasn't anything I told them, they told me.

In fact, one of my vets, that I use ONLY for laser neutering, refused to give the boys metacam after neuters because he insisted that it was too hard on their livers. Well, the boys GOT their metacam after the neuters, but only because I firmly insisted.

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #843558
09/24/09 12:10 PM
09/24/09 12:10 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
MY opinion is that it is better to educate owners about the possible side effects of ANY medication they are prescribed and let the VETS determine the number of days a medication should be given. After all, the POSSIBLE effects of metacam are just as serious as the POSSIBLE side effects of torb, baytril, flagyl, TMPS, and so on. One must ALWAYS weigh risk vs. benefit.

I agree, the intention of the post was to be informational covering pro's and cons of metacam.

After conducting the research I had a discussion with my vet and feel much more at ease now. In fact, no decision related with any medication should be taken without consulting with one's vet.

There are pros and cons with any medication.

The following can be taken from my previous post, related to Metacam:

PROS:
This makes the animal much more comfortable following accident or surgery.
In wildlife it may be used in cases of trauma that result in swelling or inflammation, or post-operatively.
The drug companies still maintain that if prescribed correctly, laboratory tests have been carried out and the dog is carefully monitored their medicines are safe.
...there are millions of animals whose lives have improved by the pain-relieving benefits...

CONS:
Metacam does not mix with water, so simply diluting the drug in water does not give an easy ‘half dose’.
Loss of Appetite
Lethargy
Diarrhoea
Blood in stools
Dark, tarry stools
All NSAID'S can cause liver damage in dogs.

NB:
Metacam should NEVER be given to a dehydrated animal.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Gizmogirl] #843571
09/24/09 12:57 PM
09/24/09 12:57 PM

P
PriVe
Unregistered
PriVe
Unregistered
P

i have used it as well for dolce's pouch infection....but i did hear about the cons of it. dolce's pouch is no longer infected and she seems to be doing great! now my concern is gabbana when i noticed a little swelling on her finger...one vet suggested to give her some metacam, but i will have to talk with their actual vet that was absent when i called. when i did ask him about why not baytril instead of metacam, he said baytril is a stronger antibiotic....what is the difference between both??

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: ] #843579
09/24/09 01:07 PM
09/24/09 01:07 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ok, first off....metacam is NOT an antibiotic. It is a pain reliever that helps reduce swelling.

Baytril IS an antibiotic. It is used to fight infection.

These are two different types of medicines with very different functions.

620-704-9109

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Dancing] #843690
09/24/09 04:29 PM
09/24/09 04:29 PM

P
PriVe
Unregistered
PriVe
Unregistered
P

can both be taken at the same time?
for the pouch infection and swelling he prescribed metacam and some antibiotic trim sulfrate(not sure how to spell it)...so is baytril a similar, if not, same function as the trim sulfa?

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: ] #843697
09/24/09 04:34 PM
09/24/09 04:34 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: PriVe
can both be taken at the same time?
for the pouch infection and swelling he prescribed metacam and some antibiotic trim sulfrate(not sure how to spell it)...so is baytril a similar, if not, same function as the trim sulfa?

It would be best to clear this with your vet.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Metacam - Does it cause Liver or Kidney damage? [Re: Gizmogirl] #843701
09/24/09 04:42 PM
09/24/09 04:42 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

yes, the sulfa is an antibiotic and yes, they can be taken at the same time.

620-704-9109

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024