Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #828709
08/27/09 09:13 PM
08/27/09 09:13 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

HPW = No supplement thumb

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828713
08/27/09 09:18 PM
08/27/09 09:18 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Srlb
First of all, is Arby short for Arbitor?

Yes, that's him.

If I am correct, was he Precious's last joey before she started pulling or rejecting joeys?

Chief and Arbitor were her first joeys. She then had 3 more joeys IP. 2 were due OOP in about a week and the other joey was about 4/5 weeks along. Also, at the time, we had to move around cages, take Arby/Chief away from their parents(Precious and Freedom), treat everyone for Giardia(which was extremely stressful because most didn't take the meds willingly... :\), AND had just gone out of town for the SGGA. So, I think that the odds are that Precious pulled the younger joey and one of the older joeys due to stress rather then there being something wrong with them. The joey she didn't pull is perfectly healthy and doing great.

Rosa, I went to look up her lineage but you only have the mom and dad listed. Do you have more lineage on her and if so, if you could send it over to me I would appreciate it.

Rosa's parents are Mick and Hera, who are both original hets that Susan pulled from her breeding stock of gray gliders. So, unless Susan has further lineage on them(not that I'm aware of) then that's all I've got.

Leyna now owns both her parents and they're both very healthy. If I remember correctly, Hera is about 7+ years old and still going strong. I don't know how old Mick is, but I'd guess 5 or so years old...make Leyna will come along soon and post or I can ask her the next time I catch her on YIM. wink

Now as for Silvara, wasn't she once paired with Gilthanas?

Silvara's not the one that is sick, it's Leda. She's been with Milky Way since I got her and there were no changes going on when she got sick. I didn't separate her from Milky Way until I realized how much weight she'd lost and so I separated them(thinking it'd be temporary) to give her a break and keep her from getting preggers again beacuse, at the time, I thought she'd just lost the weight from having joeys back to back. She'll be 4 years old soon and was originally from Sheila.

The yeast infection and Mastitis more than likely is not diet related, but maybe from the meds she was already on or a mealworm shell or something to cause the yeast infection?

Yeah, that was most likely caused from the Baytril. I'm pretty sure I stated that somewhere, but am too lazy to look it all up, lol.

I just have a hard time understanding why more gliders out there would not be showing problems if it were diet related. There are SOOOO many folks that use the HPW (and I am talking about the powder itself, not the mix)

I'll definitely be keeping track of things...taking as many notes as I can.

Is there any way you would be willing to send over vet records on all the ones that you have taken in already Nicole so I can take it to show Tim and see what he thinks??

Sure, but the "vet records" are mostly just bills and don't have anything written on them except for Leda's, which has a bunch of thing the vet typed up on there. The others just have weights and things such as the medications listed on there. If it'd make things easier, I can just give you my vet's # so the 2 vets can talk and maybe work together to figure out what's wrong.

I've already got Leda's vet papers scanned onto the computer, so I'll PM you a link to the scans, as well as to the x-ray I got of Leda.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #828718
08/27/09 09:24 PM
08/27/09 09:24 PM

E
EzzieM
Unregistered
EzzieM
Unregistered
E

Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
HPW = No supplement thumb

LOL I guess that's why it wasn't suggested smile lol.

meh. worth a shot.

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #828720
08/27/09 09:28 PM
08/27/09 09:28 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Silvara is choosing not to have joeys anymore though, so the possible reason for that is the change of mates is what I was trying to say. I know she isnt one of the sick ones.

Quote:
Sure, but the "vet records" are mostly just bills and don't have anything written on them except for Leda's, which has a bunch of thing the vet typed up on there. The others just have weights and things such as the medications listed on there. If it'd make things easier, I can just give you my vet's # so the 2 vets can talk and maybe work together to figure out what's wrong.

Not the invoices, but the actually records out of your chart there at the office, but yes, maybe you can have your vet call Tim and ask him about all this.

Quote:
Rosa's parents are Mick and Hera, who are both original hets that Susan pulled from her breeding stock of gray gliders. So, unless Susan has further lineage on them(not that I'm aware of) then that's all I've got.

Rosa is not going to be bred then is she? Since there isnt enough info in her background to know how clean or unclean the line is? Especially since we wont know if it is a genetic issue going on with her. Granted her parents are healthy, however, do you know of any other joeys that have ever come out of this pair?

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828722
08/27/09 09:42 PM
08/27/09 09:42 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Silvara's mate is still young, so, odds are, he's still "practicing", lol. I doubt it has anything to do with her health. wink Also, she's twice his weight, so she might just not be letting him breed her.

My vet doesn't give me anything other then a receipt listing what all I'm being charged for, the weights of the gliders, the results of any tests that were run, and any instructions for meds(although usually that isn't even written since it's got everything on the labels). The only time she's ever given me something other them the receipt was when I got my boys neutered and when I took Leda in because I had to drop her off, so the vet wasn't there to tell me everything in person. :\

Why wouldn't I breed Rosa? If there IS something wrong with her genetically then I will no longer breed her, but if she's just got an infection or it's diet-related then I can't imagine why that would be a reason to say she's "unclean"... Her lines have been bred for many years and many, many people have offspring of her parents and they've been bred out many generations with no known health issues. I would consider that proof enough that the line is a healthy line.

Keep in mind that her parents are over 5 years old and 5 years ago it was extremely rare for people to keep track of lineages, especially someone who had as many gliders as Susan had at the time.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828727
08/27/09 09:56 PM
08/27/09 09:56 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
I just want to thank you Peggy and Nicole for "getting together" with this and working oh so civilly. And my hats off to you Nicole for all the research you're doing! It must be so stressful to have all of everything going on with them, but you're using your stress constructively to help get to the bottom of your babies ailments! In turn helps us all out!

Hang in there and keep searching for answers!

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #828732
08/27/09 10:00 PM
08/27/09 10:00 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Silvara's mate is still young, so, odds are, he's still "practicing", lol. I doubt it has anything to do with her health. wink Also, she's twice his weight, so she might just not be letting him breed her.

Once again, I wasnt saying she was sick, I was just thinking she didnt want to breed with another male other than the original male she was in with. You mentioned how she was breeding back to back and now all of a sudden no more joeys, that is the only reason I asked, it sounded like a concern in your post, I was only trying to help find an answer for you. This is what I was going off of,

Quote:
However, Silvara, who has always bred alot, I've caught breeding twice and both times there were no joeys...

Thanks for clearing it up about the younger male she is now in with.

Quote:
Granted her parents are healthy, however, do you know of any other joeys that have ever come out of this pair?

This is why I asked that question...do you know who those joeys are and where they are right now? And who they have been bred with? If you can share any of that info that would be FANTASTIC!! You say there have been no known health issues,so I am sure that means you looked up all her siblings and checked it out.

Quote:
Why wouldn't I breed Rosa?

Lack of lineage. But that is just me personally on that one.

Quote:
Keep in mind that her parents are over 5 years old and 5 years ago it was extremely rare for people to keep track of lineage

This is true and a whole other topic, and I want to keep this one on track with the health issues. Maybe we can come back to this some other time. thumb

Lets concentrate on finding other avenues that may need to be checked into.

When did all of this start Nicole? Was it before or after you had those Mealie mites and had to empty out the glider room?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828744
08/27/09 10:20 PM
08/27/09 10:20 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
WHPS (Wombaroo High Protein Supplement) has been used in Australia for many years, not in sugar gliders diets and not in the large portions that HPW calls for.

Kris, curious, if WHPS was not used in Australia in sugar glider diets, why and how could they say this is a product for sugar gliders then? Why would this company promote that it is a product for flying foxes, sugar gliders and other nectar and sap eaters?

Pockets was told of this by some of her Oz friends that fed it as well.

Just curious, as I find that statement interesting and why we have never been told this before with all the mention as how the Australians have used it for years.

http://www.wombaroo.com.au/high_protein_supplement.htm

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828747
08/27/09 10:26 PM
08/27/09 10:26 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
I'm good friends with 2 people who have some of Rosa's siblings(Leyna has her sister and Katarina has her brother). There's also another one listed in the Pet Glider database, as well as MANY half-siblings. wink I'm sure there are many people here who can look at their cremino/cremino het's lineage and will see one or both of Rosa's parents. smile

The reason why databases were created was just for cases like this and so that we don't have to all learn and memorize every single relative to our gliders, lol.

As for her lack of lineage, EVERY glider has an end to their lineage somewhere, lol.

As an example, I just checked your site and clicked the first leu het I saw... Sil. His grandfather, Mickey, is from 2 parents with no recorded lineage. If Mickey had never been bred, then you wouldn't have your boy. wink

In fact, Mickey is STILL being bred today...he's owned by Sheila. I even have one of his sons, Milky Way. smile

So, are you saying that Mickey, the grandfather to your boy, should not be bred because only his parents are known?

See where I'm going?

Anyways...back on topic. lol

We're having to look at one avenue at a time, which is why we're waiting for the test results to come back on Rosa's C&S test. If that's negative(to be honest, I'm kinda hoping for a positive, because then at least we'll know what's wrong!) then we're going to be doing bloodwork and an x-ray. The bloodwork is going to show the thyroid levels(if we can get enough for that test), cal:phos levels, iron levels, and whatever else the vet thinks we should test for. Hopefully among all of that we'll find SOMETHING!

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #828750
08/27/09 10:29 PM
08/27/09 10:29 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
As for the "mealie mites", I did a bit more research and discovered they were actually just grain mites, so I was spazzing and bleach-mopping my glider room(walls and all! lol) over nothing. tounge Grain mites, from what I read, are harmless and just like to eat the grain. To keep them away you've just got the reduce the humidity by feeding things such as carrots and by stirring the bedding up every once in a while to aerate it. wink

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #828754
08/27/09 10:31 PM
08/27/09 10:31 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
When did all of this start Nicole? Was it before or after you had those Mealie mites and had to empty out the glider room?

I know you said you were going to call around to some of the grain factories, just wondering if anything came of that.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828761
08/27/09 10:40 PM
08/27/09 10:40 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Nicole I have actually been using HPW diet for 5 years now. Pockets has been using it a lot longer than myself.

Just wanted to add here for statistical purposes...

I feed Reep's diet which is also Wambaroo based and have for 5 years now too. LOTS AND LOTS of gliders have been through here over those 5 years and I've not seen any of these types of issues either. Dexter is on Reep's and is over 13 yrs old now. Dixie over 11 years. Chip (their son) is 9 yrs old. Dayla is 6 yrs old (their daughter). Wambaroo is (in my firm belief) what got Reep back to health after coming to me almost completely bald.

Based on my experience with gliders I've raised, cared for, and visited (seen with my own eyes) that are on Wambaroo based diets, I do not believe the Wambaroo High Protien Suppliment in and of itself is a dietary issue.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Dancing] #828774
08/27/09 10:52 PM
08/27/09 10:52 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

One of the questions I asked someone in Australia is how long has WHPS been in existance and why is the high protein baby cereal still being used instead of WHPS over there.

I was told that WHPS was not new, it was made over 50 years ago I believe, it was created for flying foxes in rehab.

Over the years, flying foxes coming into rehab dwindled and that was when WHPS was advertised for glider use.

From what I gathered, most glider owners in AU don't use WHPS, they still use the high protein baby cereal.

Also, I wanted to add this about Nicole's glider with the yeast infection. It was suggested that the cause maybe the use of antibotics. I've had many rescues that have been on antibotics for different reasons and I've never had one develope a yeast infection.

Hopefully with the further testing, your vet will be able to diagnose and provide treatment for your babies, Nicole. Saying a prayer that it comes soon!!

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #828778
08/27/09 10:54 PM
08/27/09 10:54 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
One of the questions I asked someone in Australia is how long has WHPS been in existance and why is the high protein baby cereal still being used instead of WHPS over there.

I was told that WHPS was not new, it was made over 50 years ago I believe, it was created for flying foxes in rehab.

Over the years, flying foxes coming into rehab dwindled and that was when WHPS was advertised for glider use.

From what I gathered, most glider owners in AU don't use WHPS, they still use the high protein baby cereal.

Thank you for that Tammy thumb

Quote:
Nicole. Saying a prayer that it comes soon!!

Ditto!!

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #828820
08/28/09 12:08 AM
08/28/09 12:08 AM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

Quote:
WHPS (Wombaroo High Protein Supplement) has been used in Australia for many years, not in sugar gliders diets and not in the large portions that HPW calls for.

Kris, curious, if WHPS was not used in Australia in sugar glider diets, why and how could they say this is a product for sugar gliders then? Why would this company promote that it is a product for flying foxes, sugar gliders and other nectar and sap eaters?

Pockets was told of this by some of her Oz friends that fed it as well.

Just curious, as I find that statement interesting and why we have never been told this before with all the mention as how the Australians have used it for years.

http://www.wombaroo.com.au/high_protein_supplement.htm

To add to Tammy's answer.. I am sure that "some" people do use it, as it was meant to be used sparsely.. however none of the Zoo's use it, none of the vets or animal nutrition scientist that I have personally contacted use it.. again not to say there are not some that do.. however it is not a mainstream.

My concern with the WHPS is the large amount that HPW calls for. When you contact Wombaroo they only recommend using it as a top dressing.. Pockets PML only uses 3 tablespoons.. that is a big difference to 1/2 CUPS that breeders are told to use.

Last edited by BabyLoveGliders; 08/28/09 01:20 AM.
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #828851
08/28/09 01:38 AM
08/28/09 01:38 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Yeast Infection can be caused by elevated hormones due to pregnacy or during lactating.

Another cause for Yeast in the GI tract is from an antibiotic which has stripped the normal flora in the stomach and interstine. This will lead to the glider having runny stools and also weight loss.

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Judie] #828993
08/28/09 11:24 AM
08/28/09 11:24 AM

C
Chelsie
Unregistered
Chelsie
Unregistered
C

Nicole~

Any results yet from Rosa's C&S test??

Sending more prayers your way!! hug2

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #829030
08/28/09 12:30 PM
08/28/09 12:30 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Reeny called me this morning and asked me to make a small post for her.

She read this last night and became a bit concerned as she was at one time also using Nicoles mealworm bedding. She is the one who had it analyzed and will find the report and what was told the her as soon as she can and post it.

Her concern is that she has a pair of gliders that much like Nicoles was breeding back to back to back, these gliders have also stopped breeding. She asked me if it is normal for gliders to just take a break in breeding, I personally havent had this until the female was totally done having joeys. If it is a common thing Im not sure. Or could it be something from the bedding? Once again, not sure. But just a thing in common between the two of them...

She will be along to post as soon as she gets home from work.

Nicole, have you ever taken your bedding down to the Grain Elevator?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #829037
08/28/09 12:51 PM
08/28/09 12:51 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I have had females take a break from breeding. Several of them in fact. My original pair, Dixie and Dexter averaged a set of joeys every 9 months during the years they were breeding. So definately wasn't back to back with them. Duffy and Jewel, also not back to back breeders. Gypsy and Torrey, not back to back breeders. I don't think it is uncommon for gliders to take a break. Also, wild gliders only have joeys once or twice per year. So are they taking a break between joeys or is that a more natural rythem for their breeding habits?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Dancing] #829046
08/28/09 01:10 PM
08/28/09 01:10 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Nicole, what about the individual ingredients in your diet? I for one am a firm believer in Wambaroo High Protien Suppliment and I'm not attacking the HPW diet but...

What if you have a contaminated item in your diet? I know, seems like it should effect more/all your gliders if there was but maybe not.

Do you buy your wambaroo in original packaging or repackaged? What about your bee pollen? Or the other things you use to feed your gliders. Can you trace the source of your foods?

Laura faced these issues when she lost so many of her gliders to aflatoxins (Remember the Jorn Act?).

Just trying to throw other things out there to consider.

620-704-9109

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Srlb] #829052
08/28/09 01:20 PM
08/28/09 01:20 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
I just got off the phone with the vet(my phone had died, which would explain why I didn't get her message, lol)...

The results are back from Rosa's C&S and the only thing that grew was e.coli, which she said was normal. So, that means that it's not an infection. :\

She also said that they'd need too much blood to check the thyroid levels. However, she wants me to bring Leda back in on Monday to try and get blood again and she's going to check the calcium and phosphorous ratios on her.

So, I guess this means we're back to square 1 and have no idea what's wrong. frown

Peggy, I found a grain elevator near me, but couldn't get ahold of them. I just googled them again and am about to call them to see if they can test my bedding. Hopefully I can reach them this time! If they can do it then I'll try and get them a sample either today or on Monday.

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #829165
08/28/09 05:42 PM
08/28/09 05:42 PM

M
mgrizz89
Unregistered
mgrizz89
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: TWilson

Also, I wanted to add this about Nicole's glider with the yeast infection. It was suggested that the cause maybe the use of antibotics. I've had many rescues that have been on antibotics for different reasons and I've never had one develope a yeast infection.

tmi, I know, but an example:
you are hinting that antibiotics should be eliminated as a source of the yeast infection, which is why I'm doing this.
This is my understanding and personal experience.
A yeast infection is caused by an inbalance of certain bacterias required for the body to function correctly.
When there is an inbalance the body makes noticeable signs to show that somethings not right.
Antibiotics are used to kill off the bad things going on w/ a body (i.e. bacteria).

if antibiotics can be ruled out then why does my doctor prescribe me meds to fix a yeast infection that ALWAYS occurs after I have taken antibiotics for a bladder infection?

Just a thought.
I look at the furbutts as little people. Why couldn't something that happens to humans, happen to our little guys? (no, it won't all be exactly the same, I hope nobody thinks I'm ignorant in saying that - it's my opinion)

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #829169
08/28/09 05:46 PM
08/28/09 05:46 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
From how it was explained to me, the Baytril is a strong anti-biotic and it kills the bad bacteria AND the good bacteria and thus leaves the body open to infections. I didn't realize at the time that I was supposed to feed her yogurt along with the Baytril to keep up the good bacteria. :\

So, yes, the yeast infection IS because of the Baytril. Her body didn't have the GOOD bacteria it needed to fight it off.

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #829173
08/28/09 05:48 PM
08/28/09 05:48 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

This is common knowledge with antibiotic use.

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: ] #829201
08/28/09 07:04 PM
08/28/09 07:04 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
OK couple things, what all causes seizures in gliders?

Everyone is already asking about contaminated bedding but what about the grain bugs they had in the glider room. Could those have been contaminated & possibly some were eaten before exterminating?

Would symptoms of HLP or carpal tunnel come on & then subside like the attacks Nicole's 2 gliders had? What could/ or does other than a seizure?

I think that Silvara may just not have wanted to get preggers after getting a new mate? So maybe there is no problem with her except possible stress or depression?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Dancing] #829205
08/28/09 07:09 PM
08/28/09 07:09 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Nicole, what about the individual ingredients in your diet? I for one am a firm believer in Wambaroo High Protien Suppliment and I'm not attacking the HPW diet but...

What if you have a contaminated item in your diet? I know, seems like it should effect more/all your gliders if there was but maybe not.

Do you buy your wambaroo in original packaging or repackaged? What about your bee pollen? Or the other things you use to feed your gliders. Can you trace the source of your foods?

Laura faced these issues when she lost so many of her gliders to aflatoxins (Remember the Jorn Act?).

Just trying to throw other things out there to consider.

Sorry Teresa, I missed this post.

I bought a 5K bag of Wombaroo powder directly from Australia and we bought the bee pollen in a 10-lb bag from stakich.com. I have a vaccuum sealer which I packed up the bee pollen with to keep the rest of it fresh and only have a small back not vacuum-sealed since we only use 1T per batch. So, I doubt there's any contamination there.

The honey we buy right before we make each batch from Walmart, the eggs are hard-boiled right before making the food, and the water we buy bottled(in the gallon jugs).

The gliders also only get bottled water in their water bottles as well.

I make a double-batch of HPW twice a week, so there's no chance of it going bad that fast either(AND it's frozen).

And, the veggies/fruits are all frozen prior to feeding as well, to prevent any spoilage and to kill any possible bacteria, even though I wash everything ahead of time.

I'm a bit paranoid about stuff like that, which is why I'm loath to think it's some type of bacteria in the food.

Also, wouldn't a bacteria have shown up in one of the fecals or on Rosa's C&S test?

I haven't stated as a fact that the problem IS the diet. It's just one of the many issues we're looking at as a possible cause. I've been researching like a mad-woman lately and everything seems to point back to problems with the body not getting enough of this vitamin...or too much of that vitamin...etc... So it all points to probably one of 3 things: 1)they're not getting what they need from their diet, 2)there's something in the diet(such as the soy) preventing them from getting what they need, or 3)there's an underlying problems that's causing their bodies to lose the nutrients/minerals that they'd normally get from their diet.

As has been stated, if it IS the HPW, then I'd think that more gliders would be getting sick and not just mine, BUT, it certainly doesn't hurt to look at everything from all angles, which is what I'm doing and I'm simply trying to put all my findings out for everyone to see.

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Trigger] #829213
08/28/09 07:20 PM
08/28/09 07:20 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Jennifer, it's always possible that the grain mites may have caused a problem, but from what all I've read, they seem to be harmless little bugs that are nearly microscopic and just like to eat grain. :\ They probably came in the wheat bran I got or are just part of living out in the country.

We're not sure yet if what happened to the gliders were in fact seizures or just cramps of some sort. There's not really any way to tell and I haven't come across anything yet to explain it aside from the thyroid problems. Unfortunately, I can test their thyroid levels because it takes too much blood. frown

Honestly, I'm not worried about Silvara. I find it STRANGE that she hasn't gotten preggers again, but it's far from worrying me because I don't mind one bit if she takes a nice break. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to continue breeding her and had originally planned on putting my neutered boy, Carmine, in with her, but changed my mind at the last minute and decided to put Woodrow in with her. She's always loved being a mother and makes a GREAT mommy, she simply wasn't a good match with Gil and he was stressing her out because he kept attacking her and had even started attacking their last joeys they had together. frown Now Silvara looks much nicer, her fur is no longer clumpy-looking, she's gained her weigh back(although, in her case, that's not really a GOOD thing! lol), isn't nervous any more, and is all-around WAY happier. I think that putting her with Woodrow was a great decision.

If they have joeys, that would be great, if not, I don't mind at all and am just happy to see my girl happy. wink

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #829221
08/28/09 07:45 PM
08/28/09 07:45 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
I just thought I'd cheer up this thread by posting something HAPPY! grin Smidgin, the joey I'm hand-raising, is doing super-well! dance He's 4 1/2 weeks old now and already eating all on his own! So, here are some cute pics to cheer up the sad thread and to remind us that when things are going wrong, we've just got to look at the bright spots in our lives and remind ourselves of what's going RIGHT! wink

grin

Okay, back to being miserable...lol

~Nicole~

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Guerita135] #829223
08/28/09 07:50 PM
08/28/09 07:50 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Awe, I just love that first pic. What a cutie.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: There's something seriously wrong with my glid [Re: Feather] #829230
08/28/09 08:09 PM
08/28/09 08:09 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
she simply wasn't a good match with Gil and he was stressing her out because he kept attacking her and had even started attacking their last joeys they had together.

Ok, this to me is either a red flag or pure confusion...

If Gil kept attacking Silvara and then started attacking the joey that would either tell me 1) there was a medical problem with both mom and joey or 2) He needed to be retired. Why would you place him in with Rosa to breed with a different female if he was turning on his original mate and his own joey?

Peggy
Critter Love

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024