Not too very long ago we had a discussion about the importance of blood work and xrays being done to our gliders.
Many thought it was too risky, some thought it was not necessary. I am here to explain to you why I have and will always feel both of these things ARE of GREAT importance for not only your gliders but others as well.
I have a set of twins, Womba and Roo, that needed to go in for neutering today as they are being shipped to their new home July 3rd. Whenever I take in a glider for neutering, I normally take in one or two of mine for blood work and/or Xrays. Just too make sure everyone is doing fine and staying healthy. Today I was going to take in Pepper and Bear with me, as I know they havent had theirs done in a while, but I decided against them, and took Dasher in instead. Afterall, I wanted him neutered as well.
We got the twins neutered with no problems, next came Dasher. Of course all the new employees that are there now hadnt seen him last time, and they all fell in love with that pug nose of his.
We do the neuter and that goes fine, got blood fine and xrays fine, but Tristan noticed that it seemed like Dashers stomach was distended...concern .... he asks me if he can do an ultrasound and of course I say yes, we start to think possibly his food just didnt digest maybe?
He wheels over the ultrasound machine and fire it up. Unfortunately, it wasnt Dashers stomach at all, it was his liver. He has a LARGE mass on his liver. Mind you 21months ago when he was in, both his blood work AND xrays showed him to be 100% A-OK...
Dasher shows no signs of having any type of issues. He eats fine, he runs and plays, he is purely all glider for sure. But his liver definitely has issues.
Tristan is going to go in on Monday and do an abdominal surgery on our little man. He is going to see if he can *see* what is going on and also do a biopsy on the liver and send it away to have numerous tests on it with hopes that we can figure out what is going on, as you can get better findings and answers on a live organ than that of one that is through a necropsy.
I am scared to death, as this will be a very serious surgery, and I know the chances are there that we may loose my favorite little boy, but I HAVE to do EVERYTHING in my power to try and do what is needed to save him and possibly stop what is causing this.
I asked Tristan if he thought it was from honey, he said no he really didnt think so as there would be a much larger number of gliders than what we see with this problem. I asked him if it could be too much protein, once again, he doesnt think so, but like he said, he can not give any kind of answers without first sending off a biopsy to run tests to see WHAT is causing this.
Please everyone keep Dasher in your prayers.
Had I not taken him in today, we would have never of known.
When we were just holding Dasher you could not feel anything. It wasnt until he was under sedation and Tim strecthed his back legs down did we notice anything.
Yea, Tristan has spoken with Ness before, they discussed both the milk thistle and the Sam-E for liver.
Are you sure you want to do this? You could lose him on the table.
Am I sure I want to do this...NO...I dont WANT to, but just treating the liver with the milk thistle and/or Sam-E is really not going to be a sure thing of fixing anything if we arent sure what the issue is in the first place.
Yes, the chance of loosing him on the table is there. As with any surgery. But I trust Tristan will do EVERYTHING he possibly can to prevent that. But I wont fool myself, I know how dangerous this could be. But I also know with the size that mass was, it will just be a matter of time before it takes him down.
No, he is not in pain, or doesnt *seem* to be, and he isnt jaundice at all, which is really surprising with the size this thing is.
If there was a for sure way of telling us why this is happening, and the answer to at least stop it in its tracks from growing, without surgery, you better believe that I would.
Peggy, I am so sorry you and Dasher have to go thru this. I know you are doing what you believe is best for him and I agree, it is only a matter of time, concerning his liver. I would opt for surgery if it were one of my babies too. Many prayers are being sent your way!
I talked with Dashers other Mommy tonight. Yes, he is THAT special of a glider to have two mommys. I didnt want to commit to anything until I spoke with her about this as well. Karin, Dashers other mommy, made a wonderful suggestion. We are going to ask Tim to try out either the milk thistle or the Sam-E treatment. Give it to him and in two weeks, I will have another ultrasound done. If the treatment seems to be working, well, of course we will continue it. If it seems as though it is the same size, we will opt to try the treatment for another two weeks and check again. If it seems as though there was growth in the liver, we will then do the surgery.
I am totally sick to my stomach over this. When I talked with another dear friend of mine, thank you Shawna, she told me no hands down NOT to do it. She will be along later tonight to explain why. It is NOT an easy decision to make, and know that I will NOT be making the decisions concerning him alone.
Karin also asked me to post some pics of Dasher in case there are any of you that have never had the chance to see him. He has been a part of the GC community for a long time. These are from just a few minutes ago.
Once again thank you all for your support, it DOES mean a LOT.
Peggy and I did talk about this. And it is still very, very hard for me to talk about my Tucker. Reading over some of what I wrote, I think he really had a lot more going on than I remember. He was pretty sick. I just hate that he was so miserable and in pain when he died. He didn't have to have that pain, and I think that's why I say no. I feel very guilty about it, still.
Peggy, here are Tucker and Allie's threads. Tucker and Allie died within a very short time of each other from Aflotoxins. Tucker, Allison and Reese were a Trio that had always been together. The third thread is the one where we did Tuckers surgery. From February 14 to March 3 is all the time we had. When I get the reports from the vet, I'll send them to you. I also told Dr Lusk that he could talk to Tim about any of it.
In case anyone wonders, Reesie is still around, she has a new momma, but is still doing fine.
I am so sorry about Dasher. I am also sorry I couldn't call you today. You were in my thoughts and prayers. I read through everything. I trust Dr. Tristan but I am glad you decided to wait, and try the milk thistle, etc.
Let me know if there is any thing I can do. If you need to talk call me. I am here for you.
just my 2 cents. from past posts. and from australian vets i have spoken with in the past. i would not do the surgery the stress will definetly kill him. i would rather let nature take its course until the end and he is in pain then put him to sleep. and do the necropsy. thats just my opinion. i would try all alternatives though.
Sending prayers and good thoughts to you and Dasher.
Kimberley Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Stevie, Cho, Toothless & Maharet T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon TY, TJ, Khayman, Light Fury & T'Pring Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the