Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: DirtyPaws] #767307
04/19/09 11:15 AM
04/19/09 11:15 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
HaHa Peggy! We were typing at the same time!

Thank you for the correction!

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: DirtyPaws] #767308
04/19/09 11:16 AM
04/19/09 11:16 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Crystal I believe you ordered your HPW from me and I send out the instructions on how to make it with each order. If this is the case than you have the ORIGINAL directions...

it is 1-1/2 cup honey....

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Srlb] #767317
04/19/09 11:41 AM
04/19/09 11:41 AM

J
Julie2520
Unregistered
Julie2520
Unregistered
J

Quote: I will NOT sit here and *defend* a diet. If any or all of you wish to change it around because YOU dont feel comfortable with it, I say go for it....they are your gliders....

Well said Peggy. That is the bottom line I believe. There is no doubt that everyone here loves and is devoted to the well-being of their gliders.
It is through questioning, study and trial and error that we have the diets we have today and everything I have read says basically that these diets are a "best guess". The fact that we have improved the life span in capivity, predators notwithstanding, really says a lot. Is continued research and possible future diet changes a bad thing? I don't believe so.
I know in my heart, no matter how long or short the lives of my gliders are, that they were loved, happy and well cared for. What more could any of us want, human or glider?

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #767422
04/19/09 03:00 PM
04/19/09 03:00 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Quote:
I will NOT sit here and *defend* a diet.

Then don't.... no defense needed.. point being why is changes being made ? nothing valid is showing the honey is an issue. just because someone thinks it needs changed based on a vet aversion to honey? or based on someone "thinking" there is too much.

also point being many people will follow a change and not know why the change is in place or how that change would affect that particular diet.

also regarding the obesity. the gliders in the wild are bigger than our gliders here, because they live outside with changing temperatures. The HPW was originally set up for those gliders.

people who don't want obese gliders need to catch them BEFORE they are grossly overweight as they see they are gaining, try to ascertain why they are gaining.

there are many factors to consider.

treats, temperatures, genetics, stress, breeding or lack thereof

many people have far too much in their cage and the gliders don't have to "work to get their food, in the wild they stretch their membranes a lot, in the wild most of their environmental movements are vertical, they don't just hop short movements from place to place, they have large areas to glide often.

when pockets first came out with the PML, (hpw was a spawn off of that), she had a little forest in her home, she not only tried to duplicate their diets in the wild, but also their environment.

changing the ingredients of a diet is not going to help the way a glider metabolizes it's energy.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Bourbon] #767433
04/19/09 03:29 PM
04/19/09 03:29 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Thank you for catching the error in the amount of Honey in HPW.

I am correcting it now and the CORRECTED Excel File will be posted within the hour.

I want this tool to be useful for those that want to know how their fruit and vegetable choices match up with their chosen diet.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: CandyOtte] #767472
04/19/09 04:46 PM
04/19/09 04:46 PM
Dallas, TX
sandbat Offline
Glider Guardian
sandbat  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: OtteMom
Thank you for catching the error in the amount of Honey in HPW.

I am correcting it now and the CORRECTED Excel File will be posted within the hour.

I want this tool to be useful for those that want to know how their fruit and vegetable choices match up with their chosen diet.

I'd be interested in that excel sheet when you're done, if that's okay.

Bourbon, I switched to making the HPW with 1 cup honey -1/2 cup applesauce because I'd heard they got HPW with slightly less honey in it before they came to me. I am still trying to figure out what is going on with Danni's sudden weight gain, and I think it's because the other two monopolize the stealth so much. I'm getting them another one to fix that problem, too, and I'm trying to get her to play more when she's in the tent instead of hiding in my shirt/pants leg.

I'm sorry if my mentioning it in the other thread caused controversy. D: Thanks everyone.

Last edited by sandbat; 04/19/09 04:52 PM.
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: sandbat] #767491
04/19/09 05:08 PM
04/19/09 05:08 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
CORRECTIONS have been made to HPW to reflect 1 & 1/2 cup honey - I also had an error in the amoutn of water in the calculation (recipe was correct I entered the incorrect # of TBS in the formula)

here is the corrected comparison for HPW using 3/4 cup honey and 3/4 cup applesauce and the correct HPW

with Apl - HPW
Calcium mg 4.7 - 4.75
Phosphorus mg 5.2 - 5.23
Ratio 0.9:1 - 0.9:1
protein mg 0.32 - 0.32
Sugar mg 1.61 - 2.86
Fat mg 0.13 - 0.13
fiber mg 0.07 - 0.06

(Sorry if the columns do not line up)

The Excel file has been corrected also. This can be used to see the nutrients in each of the recognized diets combined with the fruits and vegetables offered to see the total value of the meal.

Check my diet Calculator
http://hstrial-cotte1.homestead.com/references.html

If you have the Excel program when you click on the diet Calculator link on the web page you can either open or SAVE the file for future use.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: CandyOtte] #767513
04/19/09 05:57 PM
04/19/09 05:57 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

candy the recipe you had was PML, you can find that in the diets archive under PML

the water and honey is of different measures, also the pml doesn't have bee pollen

sandbat, i understand, as for the sudden weight gain, look at the treats, and the amounts of fruits and veggies you also offer. their activity is another thing, I don't think it is the stealth per sae.. they need more of the hand over hand movement where they stretch their membrane, getting them to glide more often, I try to encourage people to re look at their cages, look at how easy it is for them to get to things, mainly since the over filling of the cage makes it so they can walk to get to what they want..

place the stealth in such a place where they have to figure out how to get into it, stretching from the top etc.. make their foraging toys where they have to streatch and work to get to them.. soon you will see differences.

also look at the "fluffy one, isn't getting to the fruits and veggies first, and not eating the staple.. offer the fruits and veggies by hand during the day so you know each one is getting their fair share (measure them out.)
offer 3 feeding stations 1 for each glider placed in difference places hidden behind things so the others can see them.

also check out their genetics, see if that family is predisposed to being overweight

weigh them , males should be between 120-140
females between 100-120

gliders on the hpw, may weight more and the weight be placed differently.. to check if they are "overweight feel their membrane, if it is thick, they are over weight.

the man boobs, are fat stores that all gliders get in the fall, by spring they start losing it and they seem empty. if they work off the fat they have stored for the winter

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: CandyOtte] #767527
04/19/09 06:22 PM
04/19/09 06:22 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Guess it's time to come out of the HPW closet! I've been substituting 1/2 cup of natural, unsweetened applesauce for 1/2 cup of the honey for a couple of months now. My reason was that my 3 older gliders had become noticeably fluffier since they started on HPW last August.

Originally Posted By: OtteMom
Here are the results per glider serving (for those who have asked)if you change the HPW recipe to include 1 cup Honey with 3/4 cup applesauce rather than 1 3/4 cup Honey. It really does not change the sugar content much if that is the goal.

with Apl HPW
Calcium mg 7.49 5.98
Phosphorus mg 8.31 6.58
Ratio 0.9:1 0.9:1
protein mg 0.5 0.40
Sugar mg 3.25 3.57
Fat mg 0.2 0.16
fiber mg 0.11 0.07

CORRECTIONS
with Apl - HPW
Calcium mg 4.7 - 4.75
Phosphorus mg 5.2 - 5.23
Ratio 0.9:1 - 0.9:1
protein mg 0.32 - 0.32
Sugar mg 1.61 - 2.86
Fat mg 0.13 - 0.13
fiber mg 0.07 - 0.06

I'm not sure about the sugar content listed, Candy. 1/2 cup of the honey I use has 80 gm of sugar = 240 gm for the batch. 1/2 cup of the applesauce (unsweetened) has 11 gm of sugar = 171 gm for the batch with 1/2 c applesauce or about 135 gm for a batch with 3/4 c each. Did your study use sweetened applesauce? (Note - sugar looks MUCH better after the correction.)

My original trio had been on BML for 3 years, according to their previous owner, and they no longer seemed interested in it. At least half was still in the bowl in the morning. Two new babies came to live with me in August who had been weaned onto HPW so I bought a sample pack of HPW supplies with the intention of gradually switching them to BML. Just out of curiosity, I gave the trio a small amount of HPW and they licked up every drop. So, instead of switching the joeys to BML, I switched my trio to HPW.

My fluffy gliders have gradually slimmed down. Their weights range from 70 grams for my youngest (9 months) to 127 grams for my oldest/previously fluffiest (4 years). Their bowls are licked clean every morning, including veggies, fruit smoothie and about a tbsp of fresh fruit.

I am so far from an expert it isn't even funny. My analytical brain of my youth no longer has the inclination or ability to analyze! This is just what seems to be working for my gliders right now.

Originally Posted By: Srlb
The way that applesauce ever came into play is because Alicia RAN OUT OF HONEY!!! It was going to be a substitution for that one time.
Now that's funny! Necessity is the mother of invention!

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: nancy1202] #767531
04/19/09 06:25 PM
04/19/09 06:25 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Nancy, you also increased their activity level in the last few months as well..

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #767540
04/19/09 06:36 PM
04/19/09 06:36 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Srlb I talked to Tristan about it, he said why fix something that is not broken??? [/quote

That's exactly how I feel as well!

[quote=Julie2520]..
It is through questioning, study and trial and error that we have the diets we have today and everything I have read says basically that these diets are a "best guess".

One issue I see with this: what exactly would the "error" be?... When a glider gets sick and/or dies? I prefer not to do "trial and error" when it comes to the well-being of my gliders, which is why I chose a diet that is already tried and true and everyone that I know who has switched their gliders to HPW(myself included) has always had great things to say about it: fur is smoother and thicker, skinny gliders gained weight, chubby gliders lost weight, joeys are born bigger and healthier and fluffier, etc... I've never once read something negative about HPW.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Bourbon] #767542
04/19/09 06:46 PM
04/19/09 06:46 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Bourbon
also check out their genetics, see if that family is predisposed to being overweight

weigh them , males should be between 120-140
females between 100-120
Uh-oh... time to fatten up my skinny gliders! blush

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: nancy1202] #767547
04/19/09 06:55 PM
04/19/09 06:55 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Quote:
Uh-oh... time to fatten up my skinny gliders

you know the diet is on the "right track if the gliders show you in their health..

I have seen people mess with the diets they thought as you, that they had to be thinner than they were.. but the truth is as nicole stated above, over weight gliders should lose weight, underweight gliders should gain weight , till they reach their healthy nutritional weight.. which also means that gliders that have issues.. example is joey jo, attacked by his father as a joey, was very very tiny for many months.

he is still small only weight 85 grams, but his frame is still very small, his size is not what his age should be, but he is very proportioned. but he is at his healthy nutritional weight.

when the diets are messed with , so is the gliders weight..
Talking to someone the other day, she was feeding 1 tablespoon of BML but too many fruits and veggies, although the gliders were eating it all, they were on the small side. by reducing the "extras" to what it should be, the diet becomes more balanced. she should start seeing a difference.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Bourbon] #767575
04/19/09 07:50 PM
04/19/09 07:50 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

I've been feeding hpw for almost a year...roughly. I always follow the recipe as is. But...mine seem to eat 95% of everything each night. Granted, some mornings they'll be a few carrots left in the bowls, or pears, etc. I guess I'm lucky to have gliders that eat everything I put in their cage.

And gliders have high metabolisms...so yes I agree that an active "lifestyle" for them is very necessary. Tent time, bathroom play time...things to get our gliders out and about. So I agree with Bourbon...I think the diet (no matter which diet it is) AND their level of activity has to go hand in hand. I have to make sure Renny gets ample play time since she loves to eat, and rarely gets in the wheel. So I make sure she gets a lot of play time in the tent. I encourage her to jump to me...stretch to reach my hand, etc. Not that she's super fluffy, but she is larger than Quincy.

And with the amount of honey in hpw...and the serving size the recipe calls for per glider...it's not like the gliders get a HUGE amount of honey per serving.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #768568
04/21/09 06:57 PM
04/21/09 06:57 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

I just went through this post and found all the information very interesting. I also just wanted to add that recent studies show that honey is an anti-fungal. Many doctors believe that it can help prevent cancer.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #768780
04/22/09 08:01 AM
04/22/09 08:01 AM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

In reading nutritional values of honey it's very important to know... which kind of honey... So, what kind of honey are you guys using in your HPW? and which kind is actually recommended?

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #768828
04/22/09 11:32 AM
04/22/09 11:32 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Originally Posted By: Leyna
Quote:
So currently it is a PERSONAL CHOICE. There have been many people I suggest cutting honey down in diets. But I'm not going to sit here and say my way is so much better. And this has nothing to do with the creator of HPW or her vet or anything of that nature. It was a choice. And I AM currently working with my vet to have solid FACTS not just opinions to support my idea.

Actually, in the wild, gliders eat few fruits and vegetables and several foods that are similar to honey, such as flower nectar, tree sap, and gum...

A little late on this thread, but the "sugars" in honey are FAR FAR different from anything found in saps/gums and from the research I've done any of the "fruits" (totally different from the ones we feed) even have different sugar/carb make-ups. Mature insects are also a good portion of wild diet as well as blossoms.

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #769156
04/22/09 11:18 PM
04/22/09 11:18 PM

A
astronoc
Unregistered
astronoc
Unregistered
A

I am wondering if there has been any studies done on the wild populations and the diet they eat. Not only that but a full nutritional analysis of the wild diet.

Is that something that is available and if it is, can someone link me to it?

Thanks!

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #769175
04/23/09 12:07 AM
04/23/09 12:07 AM

J
Julie2520
Unregistered
Julie2520
Unregistered
J

(Quote: Guerita135) One issue I see with this: what exactly would the "error" be?... When a glider gets sick and/or dies? I prefer not to do "trial and error" when it comes to the well-being of my gliders

"Trial and error" is simply a figure of speech that can obviously be construed into whatever meaning fits your argument. I highly doubt anyone in this discussion is risking their glider's lives! You had me picturing mad scientists whipping up poisonous applesauce concoctions and wailing "Drat! another fatal ERROR in the diet experiment!" LOL

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #769194
04/23/09 01:23 AM
04/23/09 01:23 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Nicole, when BML and PML were both started, they were not known diets, research went into both diets but no one knew for sure if they would work or not.

Anyhow, yes, Peggy is right, I didn't have enough honey to make the amount of batches I wanted to one night. I had almost enough, but not quite, so I replaced 1/2 of a cup of honey with 1/2 of a cup of applesauce. Leaving me with 1 cup of honey and 1/2 of a cup of applesauce. I actually thought there was a lot of honey per batch, and I thought... let's just see.

I noticed my gliders ate more than just the HPW (they love that stuff)and ate a little more of the fruits (not all). I actually figured if they ate no more fruit than normal, then they at least ate the applesauce that was snuck in the HPW. So after my batches made this way were gone, I just kept it up. 3 plus years later, and I still feed it that way. My gliders are healthy and happy and they look good.

I have no facts, no proof that this is way is the best way, and I only told a few people about it (usually after they tell me their gliders don't like their fruit) it is just the best way for me, in my opinion.

I can not see how 1/2 a cup less honey in the whole batch would make much of a difference, but I don't judge others who feel like it does. To each their own.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: queenduck] #769255
04/23/09 08:57 AM
04/23/09 08:57 AM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

Sorry, I'm kind of late to respond, but I lost track of this post...

Lauren, honey is actually much more similar to gum, sap, and nectar than you might think. For example, did you know that honey and acacia gum both have antiseptic qualities. And nectar is high in sugar, just like honey... Heck, honey is more or less just a processed and fermented form of nectar. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if gliders also consumed honey in the wild. A lot of animals raise bee hives and with gliders living in trees and having a sweet tooth, I have little doubt that they eat raw honey in the wild.

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #770315
04/25/09 05:40 PM
04/25/09 05:40 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
The TYPE of sugars found in acacia gum and euc saps are FAR different than in honey. Honey is both fructose and glucose - Euc sap mainly sucrose and raffinose. Acacia gum consisting of pentose and hexose sugars.

Different types of sugars are metabolized in different ways.

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #770358
04/25/09 07:55 PM
04/25/09 07:55 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
well now that this has caught my eye.. i'll have to go back and re-read it all thoroughly.
:O Bourbon, are you serious ?!

Quote:
males should be between 120-140
females between 100-120

eep ! Misos only weighs 100 and Phoenix and Lacee both weigh 80. granted they get way more out of cage time then they did b4. and Jeff has been making Phoenix and Lacee stretch to get their num-nums [treats]. great, now i kinda feel like they aren't eating enough.. but that's for another topic i spose

Last edited by Holly1221; 04/25/09 07:56 PM.

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Holly1221] #770380
04/25/09 09:10 PM
04/25/09 09:10 PM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

Quote:
The TYPE of sugars found in acacia gum and euc saps are FAR different than in honey. Honey is both fructose and glucose - Euc sap mainly sucrose and raffinose. Acacia gum consisting of pentose and hexose sugars.

Different types of sugars are metabolized in different ways.

"Levulose, C6H12O6, a form of sugar abundant in honey and some fruits, is a carbohydrate which has been found in many instances to be more easily appropriated by diabetics than are cane-sugar, glucose, and many starchy foods (von Noorden)"

Where did you get your information that Honey is mostly 'fructose and glucose'?

"Honey was long thought to be mainly levulose and dextrose, with some sucrose and dextrins"

Also:

"Because of the type of sugars that honey consists of, absorbtion of honey by the body occurs through a mechanism called "active transport." While something "active " may seem like it should be quicker than the passive mechanism of osmosis, the opposite is true...

Because the sugars in Honey depend upon a carrier to move them across the membrane barrier, they are limited by how much carrier is avaialble. This means that there is less of a "rush" of sugar to the body with honey i.e. ...

* Less of a stain on the pancreas to suddenly produce large ammounts of insulin...
* Less likelihood of large peaks and valleys in the insulin /sugar curve...
* Less liklihood of hypoglycemia "

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about honey. I'm quoting information from scientist... A bulk of the info came from here: http://stevesullam.com/kohala.net/bees/composition.html

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: ] #770677
04/26/09 04:03 PM
04/26/09 04:03 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
There are several sources that state the types of sugar in honey ("mainly the the monosaccharides fructose and glucose"). I could just post several different links here on GC - but in case they turn out to not be appropriate I can PM them to you if you'd like.

Heck, even a google search for "tyes of sugar in honey" brings up the info.

smile

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: Holly1221] #770788
04/26/09 08:02 PM
04/26/09 08:02 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: Holly1221
well now that this has caught my eye.. i'll have to go back and re-read it all thoroughly.

Quote:
females between 100-120

eep ! Misos only weighs 100 and Phoenix and Lacee both weigh 80. granted they get way more out of cage time then they did b4. and Jeff has been making Phoenix and Lacee stretch to get their num-nums [treats]. great, now i kinda feel like they aren't eating enough.. but that's for another topic i spose

I think you have to take those figures with a grain of salt. It is just like with people - some are larger and some are smaller, but both can be in healthy ranges for them.

I have a girl that is 70 grams and perfectly healthy. I have a boy that is very overweight if he weighs 130. More important that a specific weight target is what the glider's body condition is. If you aren't sure, have a knowledgeable vet check them over and let you know what to look for.

Weighing them at the same time every week is a good idea to keep watch for a sudden weight loss or gain (that could point to possible problems). Find the weight that your gliders are healthiest and try to keep them around there. thumb

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: DirtyPaws] #788944
06/04/09 11:06 PM
06/04/09 11:06 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

tounge looking at the wrong post and posting where I wasn't looking. LOL Sorry!

Last edited by Amanda1981; 06/04/09 11:07 PM.
Re: substituting honey with applesauce- HPW [Re: sugarlope] #789098
06/05/09 10:49 AM
06/05/09 10:49 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Originally Posted By: sugarlope
Originally Posted By: Holly1221

Quote:
females between 100-120

I think you have to take those figures with a grain of salt. It is just like with people - some are larger and some are smaller, but both can be in healthy ranges for them.

I have a girl that is 70 grams and perfectly healthy. I have a boy that is very overweight if he weighs 130. More important that a specific weight target is what the glider's body condition is. If you aren't sure, have a knowledgeable vet check them over and let you know what to look for.

Weighing them at the same time every week is a good idea to keep watch for a sudden weight loss or gain (that could point to possible problems). Find the weight that your gliders are healthiest and try to keep them around there. thumb

I completely agree. Great post!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024