Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: LSardou] #635983
09/14/08 09:22 PM
09/14/08 09:22 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: LSardou
Just a reminder, if you do choose to get a brother and sister you will need to have the male neutered to prevent inbreeding. If you get two males, it's also suggested that you have them neutered to help with possible aggression, over marking issues.
Neutering Facts

It seems like two females would be the best option for me. Is there much of a difference in personality between males and females?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635991
09/14/08 09:40 PM
09/14/08 09:40 PM
Springfield/Eugene, OR
kitsune Offline
Glider Slave
kitsune  Offline
Glider Slave

Springfield/Eugene, OR
My males are the sweetest things, especially after they are neutered. They tend to calm down once they hit a year or so. My females are sweethearts too, but they tend, IMO, to be a little more edgy. The boys are brave and often easier to socialize with new people, but if you don't properly socialize them to be ok with strangers, the boys seem to be more aggressive if left alone with a strange person.

It is a solid fact, though, that they all have very different personalities. They are like little people, I have met no two that were alike, although they tend to pick up habits from each other. I have one boy that taught the entire colony (especially the joeys) to lick people and things. It's pretty funny.

I almost forgot to mention, they are not primate intelligent, but they do have a very complex psychology. You can tell as you get to know them that they understand many things. They can develop psychoses if mistreated and need to be stimulated to keep from getting bored. They don't seem to learn their names, but they KNOW who mom (or dad) is and can exhibit behavior in pairings that is very similar to human behavior. They don't seem to grieve lost joeys, but they do grieve lost mates.

Last edited by kitsune; 09/14/08 09:44 PM.

Beth

mlove Glide free :rbridge: :bb: Dimitri and Tegan :wfb: :rbridge: and right-side up! mlove
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: kitsune] #636050
09/14/08 11:28 PM
09/14/08 11:28 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL! wave Gigantic kudos for doing your research in advance. thumb

The general consensus is that neutered males make the sweetest gliders. However, in my case, my female, Keiko is my sweetest, social glider. My two boys are also sweet, but only around me. And even with me, they much prefer hanging out in my bra to being held (unless they're also holding a mealie). To give you an idea of their personalities, each one teaches me lessons. Keiko teaches me to be sweet and lovable. Hiroshi (her mate) teaches me to be trusting rather than living in fear. Tomoki (their joey) teaches me to live in the here and now rather than looking forever elsewhere for something better. smile

A reputable breeder in your neck of the woods is SunCoast (they ship). You can sign up for their newsletters, or visit their site for past issues (e.g., A Simple List of Answers for the Glider Newbie! (FAQ)). Note also that with two gliders, you will want a much larger cage. In fact, the larger the better (taller is better than wider). The absolute minimum size for a single glider is 3'x'2.5'x3'. For more than one, you can double the height. Pay attention to the door size so you can easily clean and get your goodies (like a glider-safe wheel) in.

One thing about their bathroom habits. Like us, they don't like to go where they sleep. And like us, they tend to need to go when they first wake up. So there are a few steps you can take to help minimize needing a change of clothes. But they can and will go whenever and wherever they feel the need. They can't be potty trained.

Also, if you travel with them (even to and from school), you will want to carry a water bottle and an extra pouch, just in case they get restless and need to be contained (more than in your pocket).

Do consider your current and future lifestyle. As noted, they can live 15 years. They bond very deeply to one another and to their slaves (us). If that bond is broken, they can become very depressed and susceptible to illnesses and even die. frown Best case, they become less trusting when placed with another slave, but unless they have been abused in the past, their love and trust can be earned. It may take months or even years (just ask some of our members). So think of where you'll be in 5, 10, 15 years and if you'll be able to care daily/nightly for these wee ones.

Good luck! Feel free to post whatever questions you might have in the most appropriate forum(s). We're all here to help! smile

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: KattyM] #636473
09/15/08 03:11 PM
09/15/08 03:11 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Thanks a bunch, Katty! I assume it's safe to ship gliders and it wouldn't shake them up too much? How much of an extra cost would shipping be?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #636474
09/15/08 03:13 PM
09/15/08 03:13 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
If done right, shipping can be safe. It might stress the gliders out (quite a bit sometimes) but they may not care. It will depend on the glider.

It's usually about $150-200 since it must be done via airline.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: glidergrl1513] #636479
09/15/08 03:21 PM
09/15/08 03:21 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I'm looking around that Suncoast website now. I'm thinking this might be where I'd get my gliders.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #636484
09/15/08 03:29 PM
09/15/08 03:29 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
PM sent. smile

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: glidergrl1513] #636499
09/15/08 03:59 PM
09/15/08 03:59 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Gliders purchased from them die young and many die within DAYS. They come with Giardia (parasite), worms and many health issues since they don't feed the parents a good diet or the joeys.

They sell the joeys in most cases TOO YOUNG to be away from the parents.

I have serious issues with those people as I have seen FIRST hand ... the pain and heartbreak of losing your precious glider and at times after many weeks of staying up all night to save one because it's too sick to even eat.

They only have dollar signs in their heads, they don't care about the gliders or what happens to them as long as they get their money!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: SugarBlossoms] #636743
09/15/08 10:19 PM
09/15/08 10:19 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Just so we're clear, you're not talking about SunCoast, right, SuperBlossoms? smile

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: KattyM] #637097
09/16/08 03:58 PM
09/16/08 03:58 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: KattyM
Just so we're clear, you're not talking about SunCoast, right, SuperBlossoms? smile

ummm...no. The thread is about (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets. ???

Lisa at Suncoast is awesome. smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637137
09/16/08 05:12 PM
09/16/08 05:12 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Taylor422
I'd really like to just meet a breeder and a few gliders and see how things go, if I like the animals themselves, etc, and then start taking a look at expense and my ability to properly take care of one.

Thanks for the information, everyone. You all have given me a lot to think about. I'll make a few more posts later after I've chewed on everything for a while.

youd be more than welcome to drive up and visit one day. im about 4hrs away though. you could come for feeding and playtime one evening. i have several with a few different temperments you could experience.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637148
09/16/08 05:40 PM
09/16/08 05:40 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: bdeese
I'd really like to just meet a breeder and a few gliders and see how things go, if I like the animals themselves, etc, and then start taking a look at expense and my ability to properly take care of one.

Thanks for the information, everyone. You all have given me a lot to think about. I'll make a few more posts later after I've chewed on everything for a while.

youd be more than welcome to drive up and visit one day. im about 4hrs away though. you could come for feeding and playtime one evening. i have several with a few different temperments you could experience.

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: LSardou] #637679
09/17/08 06:29 AM
09/17/08 06:29 AM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Another thing to keep in mind, you need a good sized cage, and those can get pricey! I think the cheapest I've seen shopping around (I'm working on getting gliders here, myself! Still trying to talk my Fiance into it. I think it's time to just club him over the head lol!) is about $100, and that's not including shipping.

So, you're looking at least $200-$250 for one glider and cage. Factor in toys, food supplies, a wheel, most likely a second glider, and it'll add up pretty fast.

And kudos to you for coming and researching before just jumping into gliders.

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: fox0r] #637905
09/17/08 02:14 PM
09/17/08 02:14 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Another question:

Are gliders like dogs in the sense that they know their name, recognize it, and will come to it? Or like cats in the sense that cats usually don't come when called and don't particularly seem to know their name?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637915
09/17/08 02:26 PM
09/17/08 02:26 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I would lean more towards the 'cat' personality. My two rarely respond to their names, but they do respond to the 'clinking sound' of their mealie dish.... roflmao
I have read where some people have said that their gliders do respond to their name. So I guess a lot of it would depend on the gliders personality.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637928
09/17/08 02:47 PM
09/17/08 02:47 PM

M
Missourigal
Unregistered
Missourigal
Unregistered
M

Welcome to Glider Central!
Research is vital! Some say they recognize their names while others say no. My twin boys recognize my voice and climb out of the pouch when they hear my voice. Tent time is precious! I love doing tent time with them..My twins are young, OOP ( out of pouch) May 2nd and they are doing just great. You need to bond with them slowly..offering treats without touching them..I use to pet them through the pouch and talk to them.I would offer a treat and let them take it from my hand..they move towards bonding at THEIR own pace. You will know when they finally trust you. I don't find the care of them exhausting at all. I look forward to my time with them..I have many other pets to care for also, but these little guys are my priority! They depend on you for their survival..If at all possible, rescue your suggies..I rescued mine and in 2 weeks, I will be adopting 3 more..they are the ones in need of a forever home..
This forum is awesome and they will help you out in any way they can. Depend on them for a lot of your resource and questions..
You asked about noise.. well around here on the farm, there are many kinds of noises..dogs barking, TV, phones, kids crying..there is never a dull moment here, and yet, my suggies seem to sleep through it all..
Good luck and I hope you become a parent to a nice pair of Sugar Gliders!..

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637930
09/17/08 02:48 PM
09/17/08 02:48 PM
West Babylon, NY
Snoopurr Offline
Glider Lover
Snoopurr  Offline
Glider Lover

West Babylon, NY
Another question:

Or like cats in the sense that cats usually don't come when called and don't particularly seem to know their name?

I disagree about the cat thing. ALL of my cats throughout my entire life have ALWAYS known their names. We've usually had about 6 at a time and they all responded to their individual names.

I'm hoping my gliders are learning their names. I think they are starting to? laugh

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: Snoopurr] #637933
09/17/08 02:53 PM
09/17/08 02:53 PM

M
Missourigal
Unregistered
Missourigal
Unregistered
M

My cats come when I call "Kitty, Kitty" they always come! I have given them names, but the Kitty, kitty thing works great..Me too, I hope my gliders learn their names..I know that when I say the words, " hello babies!" They peek out at me..maybe its just the voice, but they do respond..

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637936
09/17/08 02:57 PM
09/17/08 02:57 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

It seems like there isn't really a consensus on whether or not gliders know and respond to their names. Either way, it's not going to be a point on my deciding to get one. Thanks for your opinions, everyone.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #637966
09/17/08 04:11 PM
09/17/08 04:11 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

Hey, I disagree too! (From the cat person, of course!)

Cat's totally know there names. But they just arnt as loyal as dog's, and see no point in coming to you unless you have something. Just because they ignore you doesn't mean they don't know there name..All mine do! Half the time they'll look at me when I call them, and then wander off. Kittys can just be a little snobby is all, hehe.

Anywho, that was off topic.

For a estimate...My final glider cost is going to be like... ~350? It's only so low because Zira lives in the household, so I don't have to pay for her. I'm also making a home made cage ($100), and I made all home made toys. I was lucky and caught a ton of fleece on sale. ($60 bucks worth for $15 bucks!) I'm also making the wheel. So, it pay's to be handy, and to have a handy Father in law and boyfriend to help me make stuff! ^_~

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #638050
09/17/08 06:56 PM
09/17/08 06:56 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Both of my cats know their names!

Though, in general, cats are more sound related. So it's likely the pitches and tones with I say their names rather than anything else.

This is why when you see cat shows people will use clickers to signal the cats rather than commands.

Gliders are seeming like they might be the same way. It could be a fun thing to test! Using the same word or sound every time you give them a treat, for example, I bet they would learn to relate whatever it was TO treats. They are smart little boogers, after all.

Maybe I will try that with mine after they get settled/bonded. I wouldn't want to couple them learning that with learning their new home too. Probably already too much at once just for them moving!

-Jen

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #638052
09/17/08 06:57 PM
09/17/08 06:57 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Originally Posted By: Celeste
For a estimate...My final glider cost is going to be like... ~350? It's only so low because Zira lives in the household, so I don't have to pay for her. I'm also making a home made cage ($100), and I made all home made toys. I was lucky and caught a ton of fleece on sale. ($60 bucks worth for $15 bucks!) I'm also making the wheel. So, it pay's to be handy, and to have a handy Father in law and boyfriend to help me make stuff! ^_~

Are there instructions for a wheel somewhere?

The more stuff I can make myself, the better!

-Jen

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: fox0r] #638059
09/17/08 07:02 PM
09/17/08 07:02 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

my cats know their names.

my gliders seem t know their names just not care sometimes lol
ill open my colony's pouch and see whose on top and ask wheres for example Lola and they'd all shift around and she'd be more towards the top

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #638098
09/17/08 07:55 PM
09/17/08 07:55 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

My cats definitely know their name. I can call from the living room and they will be in the bedroom and they will come. And it's not just that I'm calling them, they specifically know THEIR name. I have two and if I call Karley, she comes meowing onto my lap. If I call Maiya she does the same. So they are definitely like my dogs and come when called.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: fox0r] #638135
09/17/08 08:49 PM
09/17/08 08:49 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/69792/The_Flex_Clone_Project_Assembl#Post69792

Theres the link to the wheel. I have the tools already, so it is even cheaper for me. You could maybe just rent the tools youll need if you dun have em.

And all 7 of mine will come seperately. Cleo is the smartest, shes incredibly sneaky and know when shes doing something bad. She knows how to hide so we cant get to her (If say, i was getting ready to squirt her with the bottle because she was being mean to Pandora. Sometimes she likes to rile her up.).

My mother in laws female glider, Vitani will purposely miss a mealworm to bite your fingers. She doesnt like eating out of hands, so she figured you would drop it if she bites you. Animals are so darn smart and sassy! Lol.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: LSardou] #657637
10/16/08 05:52 PM
10/16/08 05:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I bought a glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets at the Tulsa state fair and he passed away 3 wks later frown they are horrible at answering their phones and the food they give you is huge my joey couldn't eat it!! Do NOT purchase a glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets!!!

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: LSardou] #690978
12/12/08 05:54 PM
12/12/08 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

celeste doesnt know what she is talking about, and all the things she listed that gliders need is on (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's site, and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is a good breeder, i have 5 gliders frome them and they are all healthy and happy, and one is carring babies, pppis the #1 place i would recomend to get gliders from

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: Anonymous] #690987
12/12/08 06:16 PM
12/12/08 06:16 PM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
Celeste is 100% right. My first glider came from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and she should be dead by now. She was sold to me WAY too young. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets took advantage of the fact that I had never even seen a glider before. Please don't buy from them, they're awful. I'm running late for something but felt REALLY compelled to post here before I left-if you have any questions about my experience with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets please PM me.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: DeeDancer] #690990
12/12/08 06:23 PM
12/12/08 06:23 PM
Columbia, SC
saturngirl Offline
Glider Slave
saturngirl  Offline
Glider Slave

Columbia, SC
Hey Anonymous you must have gotten really lucky then. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is a huge glider mill...it's like a puppy mill only for gliders.
(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets hits all the fairs in every city and state. They thrive on people thinking that the gliders are so cute and those people impulse buy the gliders....most of the time those gliders end up in glider rescues, turned loose outside or they die. My vet has seen many gliders from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets that have been very sick. I even saw a glider at a fair where the people purchased one from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and the glider was so young it didn't have it's teeth yet. I'm sorry but a glider can't live on that hard pellet food and apples. Gliders are sap suckers...so the pellets aren't good for them.

Taylor422 both of my gliders know their name. Gliders aren't rodents but are marisupals so their teeth NEVER should be filed/cut down. They will never grow back! There is a suggie get together on Jan 10th in Taylors, SC. I'll be there along with other suggie owners and we'll have our suggies with us. Please feel free to come. Here's the link :
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/690967/1

Last edited by saturngirl; 12/12/08 06:25 PM.

*~*Tara*~*
5~suggies "mini" Cooper & Sophie
Paisley, Maci & Smurf
2 ~cats Kia and Gabby~
1 ~silly puppy Darci~

Rest in Peace Chili Pepper dog...you will always have a special place in my heart

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: Anonymous] #691030
12/12/08 07:15 PM
12/12/08 07:15 PM

B
beezer
Unregistered
beezer
Unregistered
B

cry From what I've read on this site for about 4 mths
(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets IS NOT the place to buy your sug's from - Our moderators would not stear any of us wrong - just beware shakehead What's that old saying "Better safe than sorry"

Sue
Owned By
& Mom To

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024