Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: USMom] #449494
01/10/08 02:55 PM
01/10/08 02:55 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline OP
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Texas
Shawna -- I just wish I knew. With Jackie, we seem to be charting new waters. EVERYTHING is questioned because he has suffered an injury that everyone says makes all of this that has happened since impossible.
Miraculous as it is , it IS happening to Jackie. He DOES have movement in his back legs, sometimes even walking with them. BUT, he does not seem to feel pain - MOST of the time. He DOES feel something - he reacts to stimulus all throughout his body now, but not like a reaction to pain. - Except after this last surgery (we never seem to run out of exceptions with Jackie). His reactions are more of a moving away because he feels it reaction.

He CAN move all of his legs, hips, knees, ankles, toes. BUT, he cannot coordinate them to save his life. And he often does not even try. His muscles are atrophied at the hips, yet at times he appears perfectly normal and mobile.

He is by far the fastest glider I have (and I'm pretty sure the cutest glider ever created!). NONE of this is supposed to be happening, but IT IS! I don't know whether to rejoice at all his progress or to wish that it had never happened. WIth each step toward recovery he takes, he suffers disasterous side effects. And, to frustrate me even more, everything we do is trial and error - guess and speculate with him.

Still, having said all that and having lived through it - Jackie is ..... AMAZING. He is NOT ready to give up. He is 100 times stronger than me, so all of this is much harder on me than it is on him. He still has a long life ahead of him. I do NOT want it to be a life of surgery, injury, surgery, SM, surgery.... He just needs to heal so that he can go on about life inspiring other gliders to overcome against all odds.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #449498
01/10/08 03:00 PM
01/10/08 03:00 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Val thank you for doing all this and as you stated he is a trial and see glider. I give you tons of credit for trying new grounds and charted waters so to speak with Jackie. We as glider people will never know if someone does not try something new with them. Most would have given up. You would know if Jackie gave up himslef and it sure sounds like he is willing to keep trying. You give it everything you have and we will surely help you though the hard times.
Good Job and lots of Hugs with him. I hope I get to meet him in FEB.

Last edited by BCChins; 01/10/08 03:00 PM.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: USMom] #449826
01/11/08 12:10 AM
01/11/08 12:10 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I don't know, but they're definitely damaged. I decided personally, it was a stupid thing for ME to do (after the 30 sets of nerve root blocks at 3 levels that didn't help, either)-I didn't know it was even offered for animals. Logically, I don't see how, even if it worked, it would be more than a temporary fix. I am SO hoping it helps Jackie tho.

I'd suggest a fusion (they do those on dogs/cats), but don't think a glider would make it through-blood loss vs length of procedure would be prohibitive. They're just too tiny, and it's not a short procedure, unless a vet could transfuse blood during the operation. IF they could restore disk spacing and relieve the pressure (the nerves are obviously intact or he couldn't hurt), it might restore some use of his legs-again, the risk is huge, and a vet probably wouldn't do it. Maybe someday for our babies.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Xfilefan] #449900
01/11/08 03:22 AM
01/11/08 03:22 AM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
In our most recent set of x-rays, Jackie's spine has fused - incorrectly. If you can imagine, it is kind of like a stair step the way it is fused now, with the back part sitting about 3/4 way down the vertebrae in the front... Does that make any sense???

Anyway - Again, I believe that pain was a new thing for him. AND, I can't say for SURE that he was in pain - I guess it could have been just a very unpleasant sensation. All of this is fascinating to me. I wish you could see him - He appears so awkward trying to get those little back feet to move in coordination with the front. Do you remember those studies done quite a while back on horses where they severed the spinal cord from the brain (I know, how awful) and the horses continued to run on treadmills? The conclusion was that the neurological information for gait is stored in the spinal column rather than in the brain. Well, that is so evident in Jackie Chan. If you turn him over on his back to pet his belly, his little back legs go to walking in the air - just as if they were "normal". Of course, you know, this will NEVER, EVER happen, right? LOL We just can not say that when it comes to neurological recovery, now, can we?

As for it being a temporary fix - even that might allow us to heal this wound that has been open for 6 months. I am sure that there will come another challenge after this one. One thing that i know for sure: God is doing something with Jackie Chan that He hasn't done in a glider before. I'm hopeful that together we can get it all figured out. Although, I really hope that the benefit here is just knowledge for us - I hope there is never another glider that has to go through all of this.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 01/11/08 03:27 AM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #449908
01/11/08 03:55 AM
01/11/08 03:55 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Val, I so wish I could help more. If he has ANY movement,there is hope. They told me I wouldn't walk normally again, and they were wrong. But mine wasn't fused with bone. Regardless, the other nerves may be trying to compensate. I just hope he heals and the pain issue goes away. hug2

In any case, he's a VERY special boy. mlove

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Xfilefan] #450073
01/11/08 01:08 PM
01/11/08 01:08 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Originally Posted By: Xfilefan
the risk is huge, and a vet probably wouldn't do it. Maybe someday for our babies.

Well, Jackie has now seen 10 different vets since coming to live with me, and I don't think any of them would do it (as you said). Doesn't matter much, though, cause I don't think I would do it. Right now, I just want him to get well and stay that way -- as well as he was before all this mess started, that is.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #450547
01/12/08 01:24 AM
01/12/08 01:24 AM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Val how is Jackie doing?

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: BCChins] #450590
01/12/08 02:28 AM
01/12/08 02:28 AM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Jackie has been doing wonderful. He is a bit sad about being separated from Sassy, so he is overgrooming a bit, but I am keeping him with me most of the time, so that is the extent of his anxious behaviors so far. He and Sassy are getting supervised play time each night, and they are just so sweet! Jackie really does best when things are the same - so he heals faster/better when he is home and things are calm.
So far, Jackie has not messed with his stitches at all and he is back on a regular sleep schedule. So, things are looking good. I hope he will make a full recovery this time and be back with Sassy soon.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #450592
01/12/08 02:34 AM
01/12/08 02:34 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Thanks for the update on jackie and sassy you take care of yourself too val they dont need you to get sick and down either.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: tammyangel] #450612
01/12/08 03:37 AM
01/12/08 03:37 AM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
Val I am finally on the board where I can say Hi to you, Jackie and Sassy. It was so great to meet you the other night. Everyone here has to meet Val and Jackie. Jackie is truly a road runner. He reminds me of Tazmanian Devil. Not that he is devilish or anything, actually he is delicious, but he runs real fast on the top of the cage with his legs dangling down. I can't wait to visit with you again in Tx. at the retreat. Everyone going has to come and see Jackie run. Jackie has a future and a hope!

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Sheila] #450701
01/12/08 11:39 AM
01/12/08 11:39 AM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Val thank you for the update and I am glad he is feeling better. Now you put your feet up and get some rest also. Give Jackie ans Sassy a mealie from us ok?

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: BCChins] #452616
01/15/08 05:37 AM
01/15/08 05:37 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
update please? worried

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Xfilefan] #452689
01/15/08 09:51 AM
01/15/08 09:51 AM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
You got it:

Jackie is doing GREAT (knock on wood). His wound is still closed up (day 7 now). He and Sassy have settled into being in different cages without too much drama. They get supervised play time each night, and the first thing that they do is share a treat together - Then Jackie gets a good bath. grin heart I do have to watch Sassy on his backside - don't want her pulling on stitches.

Sassy has been taking her treats (yogies, pine nuts) and eating only half then throwing the other half into Jackie's cage for him to have. mlove It is so cute. Jackie does not share his treats, however! And, Sassy hasn't yet shared a mealie. But, the two sure are sweet together. I can't wait to get them back in the same cage again.

Jackie will be going to the vet on the same day that my new little one goes. (so will Cheddar, for those of you who remember him - Scurvy). So, hopefully we can get the stitches removed and pronounce Jackie healed!

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #452698
01/15/08 10:13 AM
01/15/08 10:13 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
dance agree jump

hug2

Thank God!!! Let us know how Cheddar does too!! smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: SugarBlossoms] #452719
01/15/08 10:49 AM
01/15/08 10:49 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
jump dance clap Yea for Jackie!! I will pray for him that he will finally be healed when he gets his stitches off. Bless his little heart heart glider I hope cheddar does well also!! Please do keep us updated again when you can. hug2

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: CharmedSuggies] #454930
01/17/08 04:04 PM
01/17/08 04:04 PM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
clap

~ Kathy ~

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: kthiessen] #456764
01/20/08 11:27 AM
01/20/08 11:27 AM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Jackie did not get his stitches removed on Friday. He still has a very small area that looks like it is not fully closed. So, we are keeping the stitches in for another 5-7 days. frown THEN, after stitches come out, the vet wants Jackie to stay separated from Sassy for another week, just to be sure that she doesn't irritate and/or open up his bum again. cry SOOO, keep Jackie in your prayers. He has overgroomed his head almost to bald now - He really hates being away from Sassy. BUT, he remains active and spirited and determined. The fur will grow back and then Jackie will be healed!

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #456773
01/20/08 11:49 AM
01/20/08 11:49 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Awww, will pray for Jackie! Sending him lots of hugs and kisses hug2 mlove bless his little heart and Sassy's.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #456940
01/20/08 05:26 PM
01/20/08 05:26 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Awww, bless his little heart. Sending prayers he will heal and can get back to Sassy!!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: pappy1264] #456944
01/20/08 05:32 PM
01/20/08 05:32 PM

K
kaylakala
Unregistered
kaylakala
Unregistered
K

Wow you've really got your hands full. I'm so happy those troubled gliders found you. God is definately at work.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #460393
01/24/08 02:52 PM
01/24/08 02:52 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Jackie had his stitches removed today. dance
He still has that one small area that just won't heal up.
AND, now he has an infection. The site is slightly oozing, so we did not attempt to stitch it back up. cry Not so sure that this one little area is going to heal like I want. We'll get the infection cleared up and then see what we will do about the wound. This part literally is about the size of a pencil lead, so it is very small ---- MUCH smaller than what we started with. In the mean time, I still have to figure out how to manage Jackie and Sassy. The separation is stressing them both out so much that I imagine it is really impacting Jackie's healing. He has overgroomed his head and chest. His head is almost completely bald now. I am worried about at what point overgrooming will become SMing on him. Sassy, on the other hand, just stopped eating. She didn't eat ANYTHING for two whole days. Allowed them to have more supervised play time and even some "sleep together in momma's lap" time, and that has helped. She eats a little now and is allowing me to hand feed her. Still, I don't need to have to worry about her also. SO, they really need to be back together. It really is a difficult situation...... OH, well, so it goes with my babies, huh? What would I do without them?

So... Progress with just a minor set back.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 01/24/08 03:01 PM. Reason: added info.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #460396
01/24/08 03:00 PM
01/24/08 03:00 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
hug2 to you both. Happy to hear that he is making progress, but sorry that he still has an infection. You are both in my thoughts. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: sugarlope] #460453
01/24/08 04:24 PM
01/24/08 04:24 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Oh, Val, I'm so sorry! Did the vet give you a time line for how long this should take to get rid of the infection? Also, what did you think of the vet?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: USMom] #460464
01/24/08 04:34 PM
01/24/08 04:34 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
hug2 hug2 hug2 Just wanted to say you are an awesome suggie mom! Jackie Chan wouldn't have had a chance without you. I pray he and Sassy will get to be together very soon.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: SugarBlossoms] #460512
01/24/08 05:45 PM
01/24/08 05:45 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Thanks for the update Val. I'm sorry that there is still a small infection, but at least it's not anywhere close to what he's just gone thru.
I hope that you will be able to work something out so that Jackie and Sassy can finally be back together.
Sending you and all of your babies lots and lots of hugs and prayers!

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: LSardou] #460553
01/24/08 07:06 PM
01/24/08 07:06 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
Have you checked if Collasate Spray would help keep Sassy from grooming Jackie's wound?

I just ordered some to have on hand here, but I haven't tried it yet. There's got to be someway to get these two back together permanently. heart They are sooo in love.

Last edited by LSardou; 01/24/08 07:42 PM. Reason: removed article

T~
www.lovegliders.com

** Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup **

*Proud to forever be a Boo-Boo and BJ Fan!*

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: tbull] #460562
01/24/08 07:23 PM
01/24/08 07:23 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
We actually used Collasate on Jackie when he FIRST got the wound and it was too large and infected to close up. It DID work in that it facilitated healing. So, YEAH there. At the time, I was using the gel rather than the spray. BUT, quickly changed to the spray after the mess of the gel. (Just an FYI). Anyway - the problem there - and really the only problem with it - is that when Jackie crawls into a pouch or a hammock or toy or whatever, he then has to do a sort of somersault to get turned back around, and this action wipes everything off! To complicate the matter, once it has been wiped off onto the pouch, Jackie begins obsessing, and -despite the fact that he is not supposed to like the taste - he will chew until he gets it off the pouch. I just repaired 11 pouches that he chewed through.... but I will repair more if i have to. He is just going to HAVE TO start sleeping in pouches that are not RED... (Jackie will only sleep in red.)

You have given me an idea, though. I just got some more pouches, cubes and more tents from Connie. I love them because Jackie does not have to flip around in them, he can just crawl in and then turn around. SO, maybe tonight we will experiment with a tent or cube and let them hang out supervised. How does that sound?

Right now, Jackie has a topical treatment on his bum.... I don't have any problem trying the collasate once we finish with the topical antibiotic. Anyone know if I can do them both?

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 01/24/08 08:34 PM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #460582
01/24/08 08:01 PM
01/24/08 08:01 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Val what about asking your vet if you can use that granulating tissue they use on burns and wounds that do not have enough skin to stich close. It is a tissue they get from another animal I think a pig and they moisten the area and lay the tissue on top of the wound it aids in helping the wound by adding good tissue over the bad and is like a layer of skin that granulates into each other.
I have seen it used on a cat who had a spider bite and the skin sloughed an area about 4-5 inches around. They put this stuff over it and it looked great in a few weeks.
I will try to find out the name of it for you.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024