Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jackie Chan's newest battle #441558
12/29/07 11:17 PM
12/29/07 11:17 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline OP
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Texas
I know that I have been very lazy at keeping Jackie's updates going here -- there has just been so much going on with him. Better late than never, huh???

So, for those who don't know, Jackie Chan was adopted last April after sustaining an injury which severed his spine and left him paralyzed. He has experienced some healing, but remains mostly unable to use his back side. His most recent trial begins 11 days ago. I noticed while giving him worms in the morning that his penis was fully extended. I thought maybe he was having some return of feeling in that area (he has been getting gradual return of feeling), and I knew that his cage mate was in heat, so I really didn't worry too much about it. Well, on Wednesday it was still extended. So, I made an appointment with a vet here in the area for Thursday. There really are no good glider vets in this area, but I thought I could count on this one in an emergency. Well, Thursday morning I awake to find that Jackie has chewed a bit on his penis. So, off to the vet we go. It was a terrible waste of time and money. She did NOTHING for Jackie and actually suggested that I take fingernail clippers and cut the dead skin off myself. Well, if you don't know me, let me tell you that I am fiercly protective of Jackie Chan. So, I closed up his pouch and walked right out of that office, heartbroken because I knew Jackie needed help.
I sat up all night with Jackie and he never tried to SM any more. Jackie can't be in an ecollar (long explanation) . So, we left early in the morning - in the snow and ice - for a 6 hour drive (which turned into 7 hours due to the weather) to Tulsa. I had been in touch with Anita (sweetgliders) and was hoping to see her vet. However, he was out of town. SO, Anita directed me to another vet. I called them and they were waiting for us when we finally arrived at 1:30ish.
Though not the vet we were hoping to see, this vet was very knowledgeable. Jackie set some kind of record for longest vet visit - 6 hours long!!! Jackie underwent a 4 1/2 hour long procedure during which both heads of his penis were removed. The bulk of the time was spent in trying to aleviate some of the swelling so that the penis could be retracted. So, while we were waiting and Jackie was still under anesthesia, we decided to try once again to close that wound on his butt that has been open for 6 months. [Just an FYI, this would be the 2nd surgery to close the wound and we have tried many, many other treatments for it.] Anyway, this time he did a different procedure than before and packed the wound with Collasate before closing it. So, hopefully this time it will take. The last time it was closed surgically, it only lasted 3 days.
So, after 4 1/2 hours of anesthesia, Jackie had a hard time coming out of it. He was groggy for quite a while. I got a hotel room in OK to keep an eye on him and separated him and his cage mate, Sassy. Once Jackie was awake, he and Sassy were miserable. You see, Sassy is VERY, VERY protective of Jackie and Jackie is VERY devoted to Sassy. So, even though their cages were right next to each other, they both refused to eat, sleep or play. All they did for HOURS was look at each other and bark. So, I finally let Sassy in the cage with Jackie for a bit of supervised play time. She went right to grooming his butt, but after that they both played and ate and were shared a mealie. I separated them again after several hours, and the barking began again.... So, finally I put them in a bonding pouch and watched till they fell asleep so that I could grab a few hours of sleep myself.
Jackie made it through the night and we made it back home safe and sound. This is Jackie's 4th surgery in 7 months. Jackie truely is a miracle boy. He is a fighter, but has been through enough. However, you would never know it to meet him. He does stress out easily, but he is so happy and playful and curious and energetic. Proof that attitude does not have to reflect circumstances.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #441560
12/29/07 11:23 PM
12/29/07 11:23 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
awwww I'm sorry Jackie had to go though all this. But he is so lucky to have such an amazing mommy. Give him and Sassy an extra mealie from us. hug2 hug2

T~
www.lovegliders.com

** Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup **

*Proud to forever be a Boo-Boo and BJ Fan!*

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #441562
12/29/07 11:25 PM
12/29/07 11:25 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 Val, Many Many prayers to sweet little Jacki Chan...Bless his little heart... heart I'm sorry to hear about his latest problem, and just wished that his little body would rid of all this trauma. Thank goodness that he has you (for those who are reading this) I had the GREAT pleasure of meeting Jacki Chan while Val was passing thru Kansas...He truly is an angel! Thank you Val for the update, and please call if you need to talk...We are here for ya sweetie...Much Love to you and all your beautiful babies

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: LSardou] #441582
12/30/07 12:09 AM
12/30/07 12:09 AM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

I wish for all the best for both you and Jackie Chan !

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #441587
12/30/07 12:19 AM
12/30/07 12:19 AM

B
butterscotch1
Unregistered
butterscotch1
Unregistered
B

Im so sorry to hear what this poor guy has had to go thru, he has lucky to have a good suggie mommy! Hope all goes well.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #441593
12/30/07 12:29 AM
12/30/07 12:29 AM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
Poor guy. hug2 I was at Anita's house yesterday and she was telling us he was having problems again. I having been thinking about you both since leaving Tulsa. Let us know if you need anything.

~ Kathy ~

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: kthiessen] #441619
12/30/07 01:16 AM
12/30/07 01:16 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
What a journey you have been through with him. hug2 I hope the surgery helps and he starts recovering soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Jackie Chan and his Sassy. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: sugarlope] #441628
12/30/07 01:32 AM
12/30/07 01:32 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
God Bless and keep you and Jackie close to him in your time of need and always. Jackie has been through too much for a dear sweet tiny creation. I'm praying for strength for you Val and Jackie to heal with no more problems.

Val, you are truely and inspiration as to what a suggie mom is. So many won't take thier baby to a vet while you drive for hours to find one. Bless your heart girl and Jackie's too.

hug2 hug2

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: SugarBlossoms] #441652
12/30/07 02:36 AM
12/30/07 02:36 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Well Ive got you both in my prayers hope that jackie heals soon and is over his bout of bad luck hes been through enough for such a sweet little one should have to go through.I guess its the same with humans its not always fair life isnt.Keep on doing the best you can and love him and the old saying love can heal almost everything is actually true.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: SugarBlossoms] #441657
12/30/07 02:42 AM
12/30/07 02:42 AM
Tulsa, OK, USA
S
SweetGliders Offline
Glider Slave
SweetGliders  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Tulsa, OK, USA
Val, I am so glad you two made it back home safe and sound. I worried about you but I thought no news is good news. Give Jackie and Sassy a hug from me and let me know how things are going and if there is anything I can do. I know that was a long trip for the both of you but I believe in my heart Jackie is going to be just fine and his penis and bottom will heal up just fine.

Sending a special healing prayer to Mr Jackie Chan. He is a very special boy who's been through alot and it's time for all this pain to end.

Anita heart

Anita heart
www.mysweetgliders.com

Owned by many Gliders & Cats + Wife to a Wonderful & Understanding Husband

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: tammyangel] #441664
12/30/07 02:48 AM
12/30/07 02:48 AM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

I will keep you two in my thoughts and prayers. I hope Jackie Chan gets better real soon. Poor little guy. But he has an angel taking good care of him and he loves her. angel

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #441709
12/30/07 10:05 AM
12/30/07 10:05 AM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Please know we are all thinking of you and Jackie Chan. You are a wonderful glider owner who goes to all out to be sure that your glider gets the care he needs. Best Wishes and we will be waiting to here how he is doing when you have time.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: BCChins] #441727
12/30/07 11:44 AM
12/30/07 11:44 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Val, you are such a good momma! Give him a kiss on the top of his head for me smile I am working on those pouches for you today, send me your address.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: USMom] #445107
01/04/08 12:44 PM
01/04/08 12:44 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Just a quick update
Jackie is doing GREAT!

Things were rough the first night, but now he is doing fantastic. We have greatly surpassed the previous record of 3 days with the butt closed up -- we are now on day 7 -- YIPPIE!!!

ON another positive note, the vet did a full neurological exam while we were there and Jackie is experiencing a return of feeling and reflexes in his toes and his feet, his ankles, knees and hips. However, he is unable to coordinate all of these for an appropriate gait, and his muscles have atrophied at the hips such that he is not able to hold his body up at the hips. Given the nature of his injury and the way that his spine healed incorrectly, there really is no explanation for the extent of his recovery except that it is a MIRACLE. Proving once and for all that God DOES answer prayer. My prayer now is that this be the LAST of Jackie's emergencies.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #445112
01/04/08 12:55 PM
01/04/08 12:55 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
I'm so happy to hear that Jackie is doing better! clap You two have been through so much and I too pray that things will be better for Jackie from now on. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: TracieB] #445200
01/04/08 03:27 PM
01/04/08 03:27 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
hug2 glad to hear that he's doing so well! I'll say some extra prayers for him to that this be his last emergency

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: BeckiT] #445213
01/04/08 03:41 PM
01/04/08 03:41 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
dance WAY-TO-GO JackieChan dance .....WONDERFUL NEWS! Thank you for the update Val...Hugs and Kisses to everyone!

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: LSardou] #445224
01/04/08 03:56 PM
01/04/08 03:56 PM

C
chrailee
Unregistered
chrailee
Unregistered
C

i am so glad that things went well for jackie.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #445261
01/04/08 04:41 PM
01/04/08 04:41 PM

T
tiffanybea
Unregistered
tiffanybea
Unregistered
T

If ever a suggie and a suggie mom were meant for each other, it is you two. With his special needs and your devotion, you two are the miracle couple!! I am praying for you both! :HUGS:

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: ] #445273
01/04/08 04:58 PM
01/04/08 04:58 PM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
clap That is wonderful!

~ Kathy ~

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #447208
01/07/08 03:32 PM
01/07/08 03:32 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
This morning I came in to find that Jackie's butt has split back open -- AGAIN! He is left with an open wound - again. cry

The wound is no bigger than it was before the surgery, but it does look like a fresh wound rather than all pink and granulated like before the surgery.

I am waiting on a call back from the vet, but expect that we will be traveling to Tulsa again this week. We had discussed previously a few other options. In the mean time, we are wide open for infection again, so I am doing my best to stay ahead of it.

Of course, Jackie acts like there is nothing at all wrong. He is such a trooper.

I, however, am so discouraged. I know that JAckie will be ok - after all, he has been through FAR WORSE. I am just sad for Jackie. I was really wanting to see something good happen for him.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #447214
01/07/08 03:41 PM
01/07/08 03:41 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Awww, i'm so sorry to hear that. He really does sound like a trooper bless his little heart. heart I hope you are able to find something that works and Jackie can finally have someting good go his way. I will pray for Jackie. So sorry you have to go through this and see him go through it. hug2

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: CharmedSuggies] #447318
01/07/08 05:27 PM
01/07/08 05:27 PM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
I'm sorry! I was really hoping he would heal this time. Hopefully the vet can get it taken care of with some of the other options.

~ Kathy ~

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: kthiessen] #447334
01/07/08 05:49 PM
01/07/08 05:49 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

:hugs: don't fret! At least he's found you! sounds like you're being the best suggie mom you could be and more! I wish you all the luck in the world and wait for an update..

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #447509
01/07/08 10:07 PM
01/07/08 10:07 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
FINALLY spoke with the vet.... Based on my description, he believes that Jackie's stitches were removed by either Jackie or Sassy --- Hard to tell which - Jackie picks at anything he doesn't think belongs there IF he ever finds it (he doesn't feel it, remember). AND, Sassy grooms Jackie obsessively.
BUT, Jackie also SMs when stressed. I am going to have to separate him from Sassy for a while. Neither of them have ever taken this well - both refusing to eat or sleep even if cages were RIGHT next to each other. So, I get to be on SM watch again.

vet feels that if we tackle this in the next 24 hours, he can try yet another procedure and complete the mending. Of course, this will mean that Jackie stays with me 24 hours per day again. If you are wondering why I don't just leave it open like it was for the last 6 months, then the answer is: Now that the wound has been debrided and closed for 9 days, the tissue has begun to act like "inside" tissue should act, and is now ripe for an infection. Though Jackie has demonstrated that he has a high resistance to infection, I am simply NOT taking any chances.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon in Tulsa. Will be leaving here very early in the morning. Praying hard that this is THE END of these issues for Jackie Chan.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #447520
01/07/08 10:23 PM
01/07/08 10:23 PM
Tulsa, OK, USA
S
SweetGliders Offline
Glider Slave
SweetGliders  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Tulsa, OK, USA
Oh Val,

I can't believe it. I am so sorry, I had high hopes for Jackie Chan to heal up this time. Please let me know when you get to town. I have to work tomorrow night but we can talk. Please keep me posted. Sending hugs to Jackie and you have a safe trip back to Tulsa.

Talk to you soon.

Anita heart

Anita heart
www.mysweetgliders.com

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: SweetGliders] #447529
01/07/08 10:30 PM
01/07/08 10:30 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
Wow ... Im new to the boards so I havent had a chance to hear about any of this but oh my goodness .. Im so sorry to hear about your baby!! He is so luck tho to have a mommy like you!!!! I will keep you and Jackie in my prayers ~ heart

‡*Lauri -aka- Queen Of Everything*‡
:glider: Draven, Diego, Dirk, Delilah, KC & Sunshine :glider:
(^-_-^) Mom to 2 cats - Missy & Furby (^-_-^)

All around furbutt lover & Offical Member of the DB's Club

http://txmagiceyez.webs.com/index.htm
Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #448335
01/08/08 09:36 PM
01/08/08 09:36 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 Val, I just heard the news about Little Jackie Chan cry Please let us know how everything is tonight...Sending you and Jackie Chan lots of PRAYERS.... hug2

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: LSardou] #448422
01/08/08 11:33 PM
01/08/08 11:33 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I'm going to post real quick for Val, at least what I know, that way everyone can pray for Jackie. He had surgery again today, in Tulsa. The nerves in his hiney keep growing, like the tail is still there. They did laser surgery to kill the end of the nerves so they won't keep growing. When Jackie woke up from the surgery, he started biting everything, the doctor, himself, Val. He bit a hole in his patagium, and then went after his foot. Val thinks there might be a drop of glue on it, because he is pulling on it like he wants to get something off. Anyhow, he tore the skin off of one toe, and I don't know how much damage was done. Sheila was there last time I talked to Val, and had made HPW for the babies, and rocked little Jackie to sleep laugh Anita will be stopping by tonight on her way home from work with more supplies. There was a bit of an emergency earlier, but I think we are down to very concerned, right now.
I may have some of this information wrong, and Val if you wanted to post this, sorry for jumping your gun.
Pray for Jackie and his hiney and his foot, and his cagemate, Sassy.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Jackie Chan's newest battle [Re: USMom] #448433
01/08/08 11:47 PM
01/08/08 11:47 PM
Tulsa, OK, USA
S
SweetGliders Offline
Glider Slave
SweetGliders  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Tulsa, OK, USA
Shawna, that is correct. I will be going by after work tonight and see if they need anything. Sheila is there with Val & Jackie now and will call me when she leaves.

Please everyone keep Jackie Chan, Val & Sassy in your prayers. Little Jackie Chan sure needs it right now. I do know that the laser surgery was a success. Now it's healing prayers that they are in need of.

Val I will call you when I leave work. Sending healing prayers & hugs your way........ hug2 hug2 hug2

Anita heart

Anita heart
www.mysweetgliders.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024