Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Surgery on a Glider-WARNING-GRAPHIC [Re: Xfilefan] #241346
03/22/07 09:26 PM
03/22/07 09:26 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Jen, I hope you didn't take that as a criticism. It was a retorical question. Maybe a compilation of this information will help. I think Sugeebaby had a glider that died just hours before the gallbladder was to be removed. The vet did a necropsy and it was very diseased. I don't remember what the cause was. Surely there are others.
I do like the idea of an annual ultrasound, kind of like a full physical for humans. Check everything. At first it may seem expensive and pointless, but we would learn from it. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Surgery on a Glider-WARNING-GRAPHIC [Re: kthiessen] #241565
03/23/07 01:02 AM
03/23/07 01:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jen, words just can't express... cry upset

On doing an ultrasound at well checks, don't they have to be anaesthetized to get an ultrasound, and isn't there a fair amount of risk in that? While it does seem like it would provide good information and may even save some gliders, I'd hate for someone to bring in a perfectly healthy glider for a well check and lose it due to reaction to anaesthesia.

I wonder if Jeepers's cause of death was similar. The necropsy didn't say anything about her gall bladder, but her liver showed "signs of aflatoxin" too and I never understood that. I only fed crickets a few times and hadn't in quite a while before she got sick. I know they can get it from mealies, but it seems really unlikely, especially since I got my mealies from Grubco, not a local pet store. dunno

Hang in there Jen. I know this is a difficult time for you. We're all here for you. Let us know if you need ANYTHING.

Re: Surgery on a Glider-WARNING-GRAPHIC [Re: ] #241618
03/23/07 02:45 AM
03/23/07 02:45 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Shawna-I didnt' perceive any criticism. smile I was simply replying to your statements-which are good ones by the way, and ones I've been thinking about.

Peeper, yes, they do. Brief anesthesia won't hurt most healthy gliders though. It was just a random thought. Perhaps having one when no other cause of illness can be found, but the glider is definitely sick, would be another.

All I can say is rescues, besides enriching your life, definitely push you to think, and to expand your range for their sake. crazy

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Chronos is in Serious Conditon [Re: glidrz5] #259815
04/12/07 04:52 PM
04/12/07 04:52 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Sorry for the delay. We did get Chronos' lab results back-and don't know a whole lot, other than this was something he's had progressing likely more than 2 years. Here is what the vet had to say:

Severe Fibrosis (cirrhosis, or scarring) of the liver
It was 'culchesine' (sp?) <-this one really threw me and no clue if I got the spelling at all close...it means slow scarring, or over quite a bit of time

also that the hepatic fibrosis was progressive

hepatic=pertaining to the liver
fibrosis=a proliferation of fibrous connective tissue. The process occurs normally in the formation of scar tissue to replace tissue lost through injury or infection.

There was severe hyperplasia of the bile ducts (no stone, tumor or obstruction could be found).
Hyperplasia (definition): an increase in the number of cells of a body part that results from an increased rate of cellular division. Types of hyperplasia include compensatory, hormonal, and pathologic

compensatory-an increase in the size or the function of an organ or part to counteract a structural or functional defect
hormonal-pertaining to or resembling horomones
pathologic-pertaining to a condition that is caused by or involves a disease process

They could not identify an underlying cause due to the fact that there was absolutely no normal tissue remaining in the liver to test. Again, that it could even function at all was shocking.

Theories: exposure to a toxin or poison when he was young. It could be a number of them that could have done it.

Long term infection-ie, his anal glands/uti. We have no idea how long before we got him he had the problem with those. I do wish we could have pinpointed and treated it better earlier-we did treat on/off, but without the abscesses draining, it did little good, and took us nearly a year to discover the abscesses and pinpoint the problem.

There wasn't any physical malformation of the organs themselves, other than what was caused by the cirrhosis/nodules, and the enlargement of the gall bladder after it closed itself off.

The vet did say if he had to do it again, he would have. The surgery was truly his only chance.

**I wish we knew more to share with you all, but this may help point someone in the right direction at least, at an earlier stage than where Chronos was, and has told what untreated infection over time is capapble of, if that was the underlying cause. We think of poisons or toxins mostly, but an untreated or poorly treated infection apparently can be just as dangerous to our guys, and take their life just as surely.

Also, I've never before received a card when an animal died from a vet's office. I got one in the mail a few days ago. ohwell Not only did they send one, they did more than sign it, and each office member who'd met him left a personal note-that's what made it really special. Had my in tears all over again! Just thought I'd share the pics of it with you here:

Mods-you can close this thread now at your convenience.

Attached Files
7761-VetCardChronos.jpg (54 downloads)
Last edited by Xfilefan; 04/12/07 04:53 PM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Chronos is in Serious Conditon [Re: ] #259851
04/12/07 05:31 PM
04/12/07 05:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Closing now at the request of the originator hug2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 395 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,596 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,180 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024