Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lost our first Glider #2344
05/27/01 04:33 AM
05/27/01 04:33 AM
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Critter Creations Offline OP
Glider Addict
Critter Creations  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Rock Falls, IL, USA
Our very first glider was Bonnie and she was a pet store glider. Bonnie was about 7 months old when we purchased her and very crabby. Eventually Bonnie became my wife's pocket pal and they were inseparable. Bonnie and Clyde had their first joey come out of pouch on may 1st and the baby boy passed away on may 21st ( my wife's birthday). A day before the baby passed away Bonnie's behavior changed. Bonnie would not come out of pouch to eat so we were feeding her in the pouch and she was eating fine, but after the baby passed away Bonnie was refusing to eat. Sometimes she would take some BML and yogurt from a syringe for us and we thought she was doing better when the vet came to visit. The vet belived she was doing much better as well. That night we noticed she was acting worse then she had been before so we started her on batril and a couple hours later had her at the vet and she had begun to dehydrate by then so he gave her some fluids with some sugar and corizone (in case she had aspirated or had a sinus infection). Well it didn't save her. Bonnie passed away later in the morning. This is just tearing us up. We keep asking ourselves what we did wrong. Now our first thoughts are with Clyde as he has never been alone before. He seems to be doing better tonight and we want to introduce him to a new female, but now until the necropsy and the stool samples have all come back. He is not eating as much as normal, but he is eating and tonight he hasn't barked at all like he did all last night. We keep playing with him and loving on him throughout the day. All of the gliders we have are rescues and I guess we will never know what their lives were like before they came to us. We just assumed that since we were feeding them the BML diet and had them in the proper housing and spend so much time with them that they would be ok for a long time. I guess one never knows what can happen. Has anyone ever had a female pass away due to depression of losing their first baby? We can only think of that or something that may have been going on in her pouch, even though it looked perfectly fine. My wife has lost many pets in her life, since she grew up on a farm, but it is never any easier for her. She loves all our gliders, but Bonnie was her favorite. Bonnie helped my wife get through her diagnosis of being physically handicapped. I purchased Bonnie for her to get her mind off of herself and on to her new pet and it worked very well. That is how the business started as well. So this will take her some time to recover from and I pray that it happens soon as her body does not handle stress well. We couldn't imagine losing a glider before, but knew it had to be painful. Now we know what you all were going through and we would never wish this upon anyone. Thank you for your time and letting us vent. A special thanks to B for being there for us and especially Danielle. I do not know what Danielle would do without B. We will post when the necropsy results are in. <P>------------------<BR>Ken and Danielle<BR>Sugar & Ozzie & their 2 joeys tigger & pooh<BR>Clyde, A new male with out a name , and last but not least Harry and Sally with a girl oop

Danielle
owned by 4 dogs and 2 gliders really soon
Formerly known as K & D Exotics

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2345
05/27/01 05:27 AM
05/27/01 05:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ken & Danielle, I'm just so sorry about Bonnie. I wish there was something we could say that would make your loss easier to bear. I grieve with you. Having lost a pocket pal, I know that you never, ever forget them and they never leave you. Pleae know I'm thinking of you --<P>------------------<BR>Lucy

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: Anonymous] #2346
05/27/01 07:41 AM
05/27/01 07:41 AM
Willard, Mo. USA
kb2e Offline
Glider Slave
kb2e  Offline
Glider Slave

Willard, Mo. USA
Sincere sympathy on your loss. Only time can help but know our prayers are with you.

Kathy
God Bless America
RIP Sneakers\Abby\Pepe\Missy/Shelby/Buddy
Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2347
05/27/01 08:42 PM
05/27/01 08:42 PM
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Rock Falls, IL, USA
Thank you two for your prayers and sympathy. We will always hold Bonnie in our hearts and memories. The pain will hopefully diminish with time. We are hoping to hear from the vet on Tuesday. We weren't able to catch him yesterday before he left the office. He is an old farm vet and has had some emergencies lately. Clyde seems to be eating more and he was playing with me more last night than the night before. We hope that Bonnie's death does not harm him physically in any way. We know that he needs his time to mourn and we respect that but want to make sure that he does not get lonely. We will introduce him to a new female sometime in the next couple of weeks. We want to make sure the stool samples all come back ok and make sure that we slowly introduce the two of them. We have the females cage sitting next to his, but far enough away that they can not touch. Does anyone have any idea how long we should allow him to mourn before we give him a new play mate. Should we wait longer than two weeks? or should it be sooner than two weeks? We want to make sure we do what is best for Clyde. Thank you everyone. Your prayers and sympathies do help. Just knowing we are not alone in this helps. Special thanks to B for always being there. <P>------------------<BR>Ken and Danielle<BR>Sugar & Ozzie & their 2 joeys tigger & pooh<BR>Clyde, A new male with out a name , and last but not least Harry and Sally with a girl oop

Danielle

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2348
05/27/01 11:38 PM
05/27/01 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So sorry<BR>Marvin

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2349
05/28/01 11:39 AM
05/28/01 11:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry about your loss! My prayers are with you!

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2350
05/29/01 12:31 AM
05/29/01 12:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My deepest symapathies are extended to you and little Clyde. I can't imagine losing such a special part of my life. May Bonnie's memory visit you often and fondly.

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2351
05/28/01 07:43 PM
05/28/01 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry to hear about poor little Bonnie. My bunch is sending glider hugs and kisses along with our prayers the loving memory of her will ease the pain of her loss. I don't have the addy for Rainbow Bridge,maybe someone else can post it. When I lost a very special little friend it brought me a little comfort to go there.<P>Judy & []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] Crew

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2352
05/28/01 08:05 PM
05/28/01 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am very sorry for you loss. My heart goes out to you.<BR>Here is the link <A HREF="http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm</A>

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2353
05/28/01 08:32 PM
05/28/01 08:32 PM
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Rock Falls, IL, USA
This is Danielle. I want to thank you all for being here for us in this time. I just love the support that this board brings in the good times and the bad. It is like a little family that we are so proud and happy to play a small part in. We have visited other boards and just can not stand to be on them due to all the fighting. Here it is all about the gliders and everything they bring to our lives and that is what is important. I still have a hard time believing that Bonnie is gone. I sware I still grab my pocket when bending over to make sure she doesn't fall out. That just makes me cry and laugh all over again. We only were blessed with Bonnie for a short time, but I have to believe that we both were brought together for a reason. She saved my life more than I saved hers. She made me feel whole after months of feeling alone and useless to the world. Ken got her from a pet store that was a horrible situation in and of it's self. It took a few months, but with Bourbon's advice I would say she became one of the sweetest gliders to grace this earth and that is how she will be remembered. Thank you all so much for your words, thoughts, and prayers of kindness. That poem was great and the second I get the extra $25.00 Bonnie will have a place at rainbow bridge, but then again in my mind she is already there. <P>------------------<BR>Ken and Danielle<BR>Sugar & Ozzie & their 2 joeys tigger & pooh<BR>Clyde, A new male with out a name , and last but not least Harry and Sally with a girl oop

Danielle

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2354
05/29/01 07:41 PM
05/29/01 07:41 PM
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Rock Falls, IL, USA
Well the necropsy is back. Bonnie passed away from pneumonia. If I had followed my first instincts and taken Bonnie to the vet the moment that I noticed her behavior change she would probably be here with us today. Instead I second guessed myself and assumed that her behavior change was from the loss of her baby. I will never assume things like that again. Please do not ever hesitate to take them to the vet the second you notice something not quite right, because it literally could be the difference between life and death. If there was nothing wrong then all is well that ends well, but if something is wrong at least you caught it as early as you possibly could. We put Clyde on Batril today just to make sure so I will not be introducing him to a female until he has finished his round of antibiotics. I thank God that we always wash our hands when we go between cages. Bourbon had brought up a really good idea not to long ago about having antibacterial hand wipes either right next to the cage or in a plastic container on the cage. We put that into practice and that could have very well saved our other gliders from catching the same cold. I know my vet learned a great deal about gliders since he did the necropsy so that does make me feel a little better about x-rays in the future. If you have an inexperienced vet and this happens this is always a really good idea. I know I have learned from this also. I sure hope this information can help someone else, at least then we know that Bonnie's death was not in vain. Thank you all for the shoulders.<P>------------------<BR>Ken and Danielle<BR>Sugar & Ozzie & their 2 joeys tigger & pooh<BR>Clyde, A new male with out a name , and last but not least Harry and Sally with a girl oop

Danielle

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2355
05/31/01 03:43 AM
05/31/01 03:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ken and Danielle,<BR>I heard from Marvin about your loss and I am soooo sorry! I lost my Arrow in November of 2000 and it still hurts. So I am not usually on this forum. I already have tears running down my face as a result. <BR>It is so true as soon as there is a behavior change in taking them to the vet as this has saved Marvin's Maria a couple of months ago as we noticed the slightest change in her and took her to the vets. She had the beginnings of a respiratory infection. And she had gone on Baytril and got better. I wish it could have been the same for Bonnie but now she has a purpose across the rainbow bridge...and that is to give my Arrow some company for someone to play with. One day when we ourselves cross that bridge, they will be waiting there for us to play with us once again!!! Our prayers are with you!!!!! <P>Love, Tessa~~~~~~~~~ []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2356
05/31/01 01:20 PM
05/31/01 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/] What a sad story. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the necropsy results with us...I know just how hard that can be.

Re: Lost our first Glider [Re: ] #2357
05/31/01 07:47 PM
05/31/01 07:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My deepest sympathies. I lost my Puddin in April of 2000. I too second guessed myself and ended up losing one of my best friends. Not only did I have to deal with losing my glider, I had to live with the guilt that I could have saved her, and then have to watch Brett (her cage mate) looking for her was absolutely heartbreaking. My suggestion is to remember her fondly and remember her often, but don't mourn her forever...she wouldn't want that. I now have 4 gliders, none of them are quite like my Puddin, but still very special to me in their own way. <P>They should start a support group for all of us that have lost a glider. Until you have loved and lost a glider, you just can't understand.<P>Well I have to get some kleenex now! Hang in there! <P>------------------<BR>Teresa & Gang<P>Brett, Gracie, LeRoy and Puggie

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024