Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
May help some of you, Lost two gliders and saved o #1855
11/02/00 04:59 AM
11/02/00 04:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

First, the colony I am speaking of had two males and two females. I hope this story helps you. A while back, I had one of my male sugar gliders begin acting ill (wasn't moving around like he usually did), I went on vacation giving the pet sitter strict instructions to watch him and if anything else arose to take him to a vet, well the pet sitter came in one day to feed them and the male was dead on the floor of his cage with his eyes eaten out. This was tramatic to me, I have owned sugar gliders for four years and they have always been healthy and happy. So, Then a few weeks later, I found another male of the same colony, in very poor condition he had been absolutely fine the night before and it was just by chance that I had looked in on him at about 3 in the afternoon. He was barely moving and he had diarrhea and a distended abdomen. I called the only vet within 100 miles that treats these creatures and He was in surgery and unavailable, I begged the receptionist to just allow me to bring him in and let the vet see him after the surgery but they told me he couldn't. So, I was stuck, I didn't want to take him on a 2 hour car ride in his condition. I held him, tried to administer fluids, and keep him warm. I held him for 8 hours strait and watched him slowly dieing. If I had know that he was going to indeed die, I would have put him out of his misery, but I had no idea what was wrong with him. After 8 hours, he died. It was horrible, he convulsed the last 1/2 hour. Well, about 2 weeks later a female from the same colony began showing the same symptoms, just as the previous male, her health declined within hours. Plus, she began eating her own tail. I found her in this condition at midnight and again I couldn't take her to the vet for the nearest 24 hour vet service is 100 miles away, I cared for her during the night and first thing the next moring we took her to the vet. He did not know the origin of the illness but he gave us Baytril syrup (which is an antibiotic) we gave her a dose by mouth two times a day. Plus we administered shots of Lactated ringers solution just under the skin to keep her hydrated. I took mixed baby cereal and watered it down until it was a liquid and added sugar glider vitamins and a calcium supplement, I had to maily force feed her with a syringe cause she didn't want to eat. I also gave her water and I took meal worms and took out all the gooshey insides and had her eat a few a day. I put her in a hospital tank and kept it warm. The first few days were hard, we didn't know if she was going to make it. But thank goodness she pulled through, this occured 4 weeks ago and she is as healthy as can be arnery and adorable. She stopped eating her tail and she seems to be doing very well. Unfortunately we did not have my two that died autopsied so I do not know what this illness was. I hope that this helps someone. Always consult a vet, but if he is stumped you can always suggest what I did and see what he thinks. Thanks so much and I hope this helps you! Take care all

Re: May help some of you, Lost two gliders and saved one. [Re: Marsupial_Mayhem] #1856
11/11/00 06:03 PM
11/11/00 06:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Having lost my female earlier this year, I can feel what you went through-only yours was multipled several times. Your story is a testament to having necropsies done on any glider that dies. It may provide information to save other gliders in the future. I think we as glider owners have an obligation to further the knowledge of gliders by providing research when at atll possible.<P>------------------<BR>Keep your chin up and a glider under it

Re: May help some of you, Lost two gliders and saved one. [Re: Sheila] #1857
11/11/00 09:41 PM
11/11/00 09:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

You might want to have the fourth female checked out by the vet. Chances are if 3:4 got sick, the 4th one is still hiding the illness. Sorry for your multipe losses. How terrible.<P>------------------<BR>Rachel and the gang:<BR>Sugar Ray, Taylor,<BR>Nemo, Noelani,<BR>Aussie, and baby Meko

Re: May help some of you, Lost two gliders and saved one. [Re: ] #1858
11/19/00 02:37 PM
11/19/00 02:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

You're lucky she made it through. I lost a female and her baby two days ago. I'd tell the story, but it would do no good. The vet didn't know what could of happened. He only knew that she was sick before I took her home.

Re: May help some of you, Lost two gliders and saved one. [Re: ] #1859
11/22/00 05:40 PM
11/22/00 05:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm sorry for your multiple loss also. I have never lost a glider much less a pet so fortunately I don't know how you are feeling. I do now that if I lost any of my little ones I would be deeply hurt. I just wish you would've gotten an atopsy done so we would know a little more. Thanx so much for sharing your story with us.<BR>Susy and my family of 12 []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]'s

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024