Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ENSURE #154338
10/08/06 10:20 AM
10/08/06 10:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We were talking to a breeder in Canada, where we live, who uses 1 caplet of Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and 1 can of 235 ml., 250 calories, of Ensure mixed together and poured into ice trays and given one cube a day to our 2 gliders. Has anyone heard of this and if so, is this okay? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154344
10/08/06 10:50 AM
10/08/06 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It sounds a lot like Darcy's diet but it is supposed to be powdered calcium carbonate. That is the diet I have recently switched too. I love it but it is supposed to make them gain a lot of weight.

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154348
10/08/06 11:15 AM
10/08/06 11:15 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
North_Nocturne Offline
Glider Lover
North_Nocturne  Offline
Glider Lover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Here's the link: Darcy's Diet

I use calcium citrate because of the link between calcium carbonate and urinary tract disease. That substitution is approved and is mentioned at the bottom of the Darcy's diet page.

Elizabeth
gliders. Nocturne & Lark
Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154349
10/08/06 11:20 AM
10/08/06 11:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bills, go to the top of the page under the Glider Central name and click on the links button, go to GC links and from there go to the diet Page. Darcy's diet is one of the diets listed on that page. This diet was designed by an owner whose glider, Lord Darcy, had cancer and was losing weight. So this diet is one that will make your suggies gain weight quickly. The best thing for you to do is read the entire diet Page. There are several diets on there that have been proven to work for many, many years. A lot of research is behind these proven diets. Just pick out the one you feel will best suit you and your lifestyle and stick with it, EXACTLY as the diet says. They are designed to work by feeding everything on the diet without substitutions and will meet your suggies nutritional needs 100%. I personally feed the Suncoast diet and my girls love it. Many members on the board feed the BML or Bourbon's back to Basics BML. As you will see, with any of the diets, you also have to feed fresh veggies and fruit along with the BML or the Suncoast, etc. You also have to provide an extra source of protein. Most of us feed mealies(mealworms), crickets or occasionally wax worms. You can feed these live, your baby will looooove you for it, eeeewww. Or they also come freeze dried if you don't do bugs like I don't, and my personal favorite, cooked in the can. Groooossss! The wax worms have a little bit higher fat content so I feed a few less of those than crickets or mealworms. They make special little worm bowls that are designed to keep the worms from crawling out before they get eaten. You can get them at any pet store in the reptile section. Some people "glider-proof" their bathrooms so they can take the little furrbutts in there to play and it is quite hilarious to let a cricket loose in with them and watch their natural predator instinct come out catching it. I don't do bugs so my husband buys crickets and puts them in a cricket box like you take fishing, and when I feed my girls I just hold the cricket box in the cage and they hang upside down on the side of the bucket and "fish" for the cricket they want. It is very funny to watch, especially if they are new to "cricketing". I hope this helps you some and don't be shy about asking questions 'cause there is always someone here to answer them for you.

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154406
10/08/06 03:22 PM
10/08/06 03:22 PM
Ontario , Canada
Keyosmama Offline
Glider Slave
Keyosmama  Offline
Glider Slave

Ontario , Canada
TheBills,

As everyone has said this IS the Darcy's diet however, as also stated the diet calls for powdered calcium, the reason for that is that some gliders just don't take calcium supplements well. LOL (Yea Mine would fall into that category laugh ) So, the powdered stuff is harder for them to eat around and therefore they get calcium they need. I do not offer calcium supplement in my Darcy's diet as my glider just plain avoided eating the whole time I had powdered calcium in the mix. I have instead discussed with my vet a different source of calcium and it has worked very well for us and my suggies are VERY healthy and happy and not at all fat.

HTH,
A

Amanda, Jeff&

A Pomchi named Wickett
A Yorkie named Meeya
A Great Dane named Berlyn
5 Cats Kamorah, Aiko, Mo, Peekaboo, & Alice
Someday Ill have more suggies... frown
2 skin kids - Xander Finlay James March6 2010, and Rohan Kingsley July 5 2011

Re: ENSURE [Re: Keyosmama] #154496
10/08/06 07:32 PM
10/08/06 07:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keyosmama...what type of calcium do you use?

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154516
10/08/06 07:58 PM
10/08/06 07:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use calcium carbonate, I get it from glidersanonymous.com.

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154520
10/08/06 08:10 PM
10/08/06 08:10 PM
Ontario , Canada
Keyosmama Offline
Glider Slave
Keyosmama  Offline
Glider Slave

Ontario , Canada
Instead of a calcium supplement my suggies get vanilla yogurt once a week instead of the ensure. They LOVE the switcheroo and my vet says I've got some amazingly healthy suggs. I always say that before doing this folks should talk with their vet but my gliders are thriving on this diet whereas I couldn't MAKE them eat BML, Priscilla's OR Darcy's with the powdered calcium... Rather than let them not eat I wanted an alternative and this is what I went with with my vets blessing. Like I said not one of my suggies is fat and they have wonderful coats, and are extremely active. I have 3 breeding females and have never lost a joey, and joeys are always healthy and of a good size. (I think also that rejection has alot to do with both diet as well as the glider induividually but I have been very blessed with sweet, bonded and healthy mama's,LOL)

Anyways yogurt is the calcium supplement I provide and my vet has approved this, before doing this however please talk to your vet!
HTH,
Amanda

Amanda, Jeff&

A Pomchi named Wickett
A Yorkie named Meeya

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154732
10/09/06 08:34 AM
10/09/06 08:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Suggiemama
So this diet is one that will make your suggies gain weight quickly.

This is not necessarily true. Yes, this diet has the potential for your suggie to gain weight, but it certainly isn't absolute. I've had my gliders on Darcy's for almost 2 years and none are overweight, nor have any weight issues. All my gliders are nice healthy weights.

Also just to clarify, the "diet" that thebills mentioned is NOT the Darcy's diet. The Ensure with calcium added is only one part of the diet. To be feeding the Darcy's diet correctly, you should be feeding per glider:
1 tablespoon of Ensure with calcium mixed in, AND
1 tablespoon of fruits and veggies, AND
1 tablespoon of protein

So if that breeder is only giving the Ensure with calcium and nothing else, then I would say your joeys are not getting a complete, balanced diet. But if they're getting the Ensure along with fruits, veggies, and proteins, then I'd say they're on a good diet and you have nothing to worry about. thumb

As for calcium supplement, yes you can use either calcium carbonate or calcium citrate. Both are acceptable with this diet. The suppliment I use is JurassiCal. It's sold at both PetSmart and Petco.

And to Amanda, this is not to knock you... I'm truly curious... But do you think your gliders really get enough calcium just from yogurt once a week? dunno I too feed yogurt about once a week or so,... It's on my rotation of proteins. I never would have thought this was enough calcium. I obviously still add in the supplement. Do you think maybe the type of supplement you were using could have been a problem? I know when I put the JurassiCal in the Ensure and give it a good shake, you'd never know there was any calcium in it. It completely dissolves and mixes in. I'm wondering how your suggies noticed? I've heard though that if you use some other supplements, like RepCal, that it doesn't totally dissovle and settles on the bottom... So maybe this was the issue dunno ?

Re: ENSURE [Re: ] #154737
10/09/06 08:49 AM
10/09/06 08:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

TheBills, I give my babies yogurt every night. Only one tablespoon for 3 suggies. I put my calcium in the yogurt and stir and blend and stir and blend and then stir again until you can't see any of the calcium. They have never turned it down and lick the bowl absolutely clean every night. Of course they have to be picky about something, so they will only eat blueberry yogurt. Those crazy suggies! You gotta love 'em.

Re: ENSURE [Re: Keyosmama] #154776
10/09/06 11:15 AM
10/09/06 11:15 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Timmy & Gidget have begun 'shunning' their bml, so last night, I laced it with a little vanilla yogurt...VOILA! I put a little on top and then swirled it through. I also put some of the veggies next to it (so they got some of the mix on them) and they ate them, too (they normally don't eat too much of the veggies, even when I chop them and mix them together, they seem to pick through). And yesterday, I offered scrambled eggs. Timmy will not touch them, but Gidget LOVED them (course, she seems to pretty much like ALL FOOD, hence the fact she is 131 grams, to Timmy's 89!)

Timmy & Gidget's mom
mary

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: ENSURE [Re: pappy1264] #154909
10/09/06 05:37 PM
10/09/06 05:37 PM
Ontario , Canada
Keyosmama Offline
Glider Slave
Keyosmama  Offline
Glider Slave

Ontario , Canada
Honestly, I have tried every single calcium supplement there is..LOL It didn't matter how fine or mixed it was... they REFUSED to touch it or anything that was in the bowl that might have touched it.LOL

Like I said this was approved by my vet and and they have been on this diet a little over a year without any issues. I trust my vet's judgement and my own observations and my suiggies are MUCH happier and healthier on this twist of Darcy's than the original with supplements. This is why I say for people to talk to their vets and see what their vets say, not just take my word for it. I should also mention that I make smoothies with the orange juice with added once weekly as well and it incorporates the ensure, the yogurt AND the juice in it so yea I have no concern about my guys lacking in calcium! smile

HTH,

Amanda

Amanda, Jeff&

A Pomchi named Wickett
A Yorkie named Meeya

Re: ENSURE [Re: Keyosmama] #154914
10/09/06 06:02 PM
10/09/06 06:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We like strawberry yogurt. It is the best. We get it everyother night. Oh..is this yogurt night. I hope I hope. Momma tried all those calcium things and they made our food taste TERRIBLE. We like yogurt lots better.

The Suggies

George, Daisy and Princess

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 421 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,161 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,690 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024