Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Edible Flowers #151921
10/02/06 02:41 PM
10/02/06 02:41 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
As you know I recently hosted a gathering here in Quincy where we discussed edible flowers (and even sampled some crazy) Prior to this when I was having my handout proofed it was requested that after the gathering I post it for everyone to benefit from.

So...........enjoy!

[size:17pt]Edible Flowers for Gliders[/color]

Many people would like to enrich their gliders lives by giving them natural or native food items. A fun way to do this is to provide your glider with flowers that they can eat or shred to take back to their nest. But how do you determine what plants/flowers are safe for your babies. I have done some research and cross-referenced the safe plants list provided by the ISGA with several sites on edible flowers to come up with a list of some flowers that you can use to enrich and enliven your gliders dinner. This list is by no means complete, but it will give you a starting place.

However before we get started on the list, lets look at some facts about edible flowers.

· Proper identification of edible flowers is important. For not all flowers are edible and can in fact be poisonous.

· Use flowers that are grown without pesticides. For this reason you should NOT purchase flowers from florist, Garden Centers or Nurseries. These flowers are not grown for human or animal consumption and may have been treated with pesticides.

· For best flavor, pick flowers at their peak. You should pick flowers early in the day. Avoid unopened blossoms and wilted or faded flowers. They may have a bitter or unappealing flavor.

· Flowers can be preserved for later use. You can paint the petals with an egg-white wash (use a soft brush & dehydrated egg whites to avoid food poisoning. The flowers will be edible if the dehydrated egg powder is pasteurized.) After painting, dust the petal with a super-fine granulated sugar and dry it. Then store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.

· Many edible flowers are high in vitamin C and/or vitamin A along with other essential nutrients.

· Edible petals or entire flowers can be eaten, however, the stems, anthers and pistils may be bitter, so you may wish to remove these items.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Now lets look at some of the different flowers that you can give to your glider.

· Anise Hyssop (Agstache foeniculum) Both flowers and leaves have a delicate anise or licorice flavor. Some people say the flavor reminds them of root beer.

· Basil - Depending on the type, the flowers are either bright white, pale pink, or a delicate lavender. The flavor of the flower is milder, but similar to the leaves of the same plant. Basil also has different varieties that have different milder flavors like lemon and mint.

· Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) The flowers are small and daisy-like and have a sweet, apple-like flavor.

· Calendula- (Calendula officinalis) Also called Marigolds. A wonderful edible flower. Flavors range from spicy to bitter, tangy to peppery. Their sharp taste resembles saffron (also known as Poor Man’s Saffron). Has pretty petals in golden-orange hues.

· Chrysanthemums: (Chrysanthemum spp.) Tangy, slightly bitter, ranging in colors from red, white, yellow and orange. They range in taste from faint peppery to mild cauliflower. They should be blanched first and then scatter the petals on a salad. Always remove the bitter flower base and use petals only.

· Clover: Sweet, anise-like, licorice.

· Dandelion: (Taraxacum officinale) Member of Daisy family. Flowers are sweetest when picked young, and just before eating. They have a sweet, honey-like flavor. Mature flowers are bitter. Good raw or steamed.

· Daisy: (all members) The flowers have a mildly bitter taste and are most commonly used for their looks than their flavor.

· Daylily (Hemerocallis spp.) Slightly sweet with a mild vegetable flavor, like sweet lettuce or melon. Their flavor is a combination of asparagus and zucchini. Chewable consistency. Some people think that different colored blossoms have different flavors. NOTE: Many Lilies contain alkaloids and are NOT edible. Day Lilies may act as a laxative.

· Dill (Anethum graveolens) Tangy; like leaves but stronger. Use yellow dill flowers as you would the herb itself.

· Hibiscus: (Hibiscus rosasinensis) Cranberry-like flavor with citrus overtones.

· Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) Sweet honey flavor. Berries are highly poisonous - Do not eat them!

· Lavender: (Lavandula officinalis) Sweet, floral flavor, with lemon and citrus notes.

· Rose: (Rosa spp.) Flavors depend on type, color, and soil conditions. Flavor reminiscent of strawberries and green apples. Sweet, with subtle undertones ranging from fruit to mint to spice. All roses are edible, with the flavor being more pronounced in the darker varieties.

· Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus rosasinensis) Flowers and leaves are OK for gliders. They have a Citrus/cranberry flavor.

· Rosemary: (Rosmarinus officinalis) Milder version of leaf

· Sage: (Salvia officinalis) The flowers are violet-blue, pink or white up to 1 3/8 inches long, small, tube like, clustered together in whorls along the stem tops. Flowers have a subtler sage taste than the leaves. NOTE: Do not use the red colored ones when giving them to sugar gliders.

· Scented Geraniums: (Pelargonium spp.) The flower flavor generally corresponds to the variety. For example, a lemon-scented geranium would have lemon-scented flowers. They come in fragrances from citrus and spice to fruits and flowers, and usually in colors of pinks and pastels. NOTE: Citronelle variety may not be edible.

· Squash Flowers: (Curcubita pepo) Squash and pumpkin blossoms are edible and taste mildly of raw squash. Prepare the blossoms by washing and trimming the stems and remove the stamens.

· Violet: (Viola odorata) Sweet, perfumed flavor. Related flowers, Johnny jump-ups or violas, and pansies now come in colorful purples and yellows to apricot and pastel hues.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: glidrz5] #151939
10/02/06 03:48 PM
10/02/06 03:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

clap Wow Chris, you put a lot of hard work into this. Thank you for sharing as this is really good information to have.
thanks hug2

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #151941
10/02/06 03:58 PM
10/02/06 03:58 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Chris … this is great information… thanks for putting this together and sharing with all of us…

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #151943
10/02/06 04:01 PM
10/02/06 04:01 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I was just wondering about them eating flowers! Thanks so much for this post
Where should you get the flowers if they should not be from a florist, Garden Center or Nursery?

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Edible Flowers [Re: MizValorie] #151955
10/02/06 04:37 PM
10/02/06 04:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hibiscus flowers are sold dried in Hispanic specialty markets and in some grocery stores in the south. They are called jamaica I think..I have been told it means hibiscus in Spanish. I have seen huge bins of them bulk. I brew tea from them. I have never fed them to the suggies. Hmm.

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #152022
10/02/06 07:04 PM
10/02/06 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

>.> We have a grocery store that sells edible flowers... The same compay sells sprouts as well that my gliders really like. If I can remember or find the name I will post it.

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #152058
10/02/06 08:10 PM
10/02/06 08:10 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Don't forget Carnations, Chris---they aren't only edibly, my babies LOVE their carnations! (Especially Riker)

And do you know about Pansies? I know people can eat them (they come in some of the edible flower mixes as well), but can suggies?

Last edited by Xfilefan; 10/02/06 08:12 PM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Edible Flowers [Re: Xfilefan] #152092
10/02/06 09:22 PM
10/02/06 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:
Where should you get the flowers if they should not be from a florist, Garden Center or Nursery?

It is easy to grow some plants at home yourself, just make sure to use an organic potting soil and don't treat the plants with any pesticides and such.

You could also check with a health store, but make sure they are human grade and organic thumb

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #152129
10/02/06 10:09 PM
10/02/06 10:09 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
I'm sure that I missed bunches of flowers. I was cross-refrencing between the safe flowers list & various list of edible flowers that I found on the web. So if you do know of another flower that is edible for both suggies & humans, please feel free to add it to this thread for others to share.

As far as where to get your flowers, I would recommend ones that you buy from a place who either sells edible flowers or using ones that you have grown yourself. This way you know that they are safe & haven't been treated with anything harmful.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: glidrz5] #152159
10/02/06 11:10 PM
10/02/06 11:10 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Thank You Chris for all the hard work you put into that list! I have Rose of Sharon growing on the end of the house, I'll have to check and see if they still have any flowers on tomorrow, those should make an extra special bonding treat for my new suggies smile I also have some cut up fruit bits in the dehydrator right now for them, once they're done I'll throw them in a foodsaver canister to keep them nice and fresh.

Re: Edible Flowers [Re: BeckiT] #152212
10/03/06 01:02 AM
10/03/06 01:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a bunch of Rose of Sharon's too!

Hey, it seems like I've heard that dianthus (Sweet William) is edible as well. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I've wondered about passion flower. I doubt that it is edible, but it's so pretty I'd love to take some pictures with my gliders and my passion flowers.

I just have to share a pic I took a few weeks ago of just the passion flower.

Attached Files
3782-Passionflower.JPG (62 downloads)
Re: Edible Flowers [Re: ] #152247
10/03/06 04:42 AM
10/03/06 04:42 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Thanks y'all!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024