Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Underweight gliders #1422771
10/06/20 11:29 PM
10/06/20 11:29 PM
Indonesia
C
Cloud Offline OP
Cloud  Offline OP
C

Indonesia
Hi everyone! So, i have 3 sugar gliders, they are 2 years and 1 month, 1 year and 3 months, and 1 year and 1 month. All of them are girls The oldest one weights 95 grams which is normal, but the second oldest and the youngest weigh only 61 grams and 65 grams. I've brought them to the vet. He said there are no problems with them, they just don't eat enough. The second oldest is super picky, she doesn't like crickets, but still eat mealworms and only eat sweet veggies (such as corn or carrot). The youngest one is not that picky, she eats both crickets and mealworm, but still prefer sweet veggies over not sweet veggies.

I was thinking to supplement them with glider crack (avocado mixed with egg, chicken, and calcium), but i'm afraid that it'll make my oldest one become overweight. Do you guys have any suggestion or solution?

Edit: i forgot to mention that they're on BML

Last edited by Cloud; 10/07/20 12:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422772
10/06/20 11:57 PM
10/06/20 11:57 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Can you get Critterlove where you live. I know there are some retailers in Indonesia.
If you can get it then I would switch them to that diet.

As far as not wanting the one to get fat, you could offer Avocado chunks to the smaller ones a couple times a week.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Feather] #1422773
10/07/20 12:03 AM
10/07/20 12:03 AM
Indonesia
C
Cloud Offline OP
Cloud  Offline OP
C

Indonesia
Originally Posted by Feather
Can you get Critterlove where you live. I know there are some retailers in Indonesia.
If you can get it then I would switch them to that diet.

As far as not wanting the one to get fat, you could offer Avocado chunks to the smaller ones a couple times a week.

I've never heard critterlove being sold in here. If you can, can you please give me the link where i can buy it?

Okay, maybe i'll just offer them smaller chunks of avocado. Thank you for the suggestion

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422774
10/07/20 07:45 AM
10/07/20 07:45 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
So I watched a video from the creator of the BML diet. She was live online and did a question/answer along with explaining how the diet works. This is a proven diet meaning it's one of the best out there.

According to her gliders will keep their baseline weight or ideal weight while on this diet. It will keep them from being overweight.

I wouldn't recommend crickets. Gliders have been known to choke the their exoskeleton, and depending of what the crickets are fed, can give the gliders what it takes to make alfatoxins in their body.

This is a quote from an archived post:

"Aflatoxins are produced by a fungus that grows in certain crops (wheat, corn, soybeans, peanuts, tree nuts, etc), obviously when conditions are right for fungal growth (ie. humidity, warmth). Most crickets are raised on a corn based bedding. Once it gets moist, there's a chance for that mold/fungus to grow. I believe it also binds to the DNA, so even after several generations, it's still in your crickets.

Aflatoxin is toxic (acute exposure leads to liver damage) and a carcinogen. While it may be a small chance that your crickets even have the toxin, several have decided against feeding them altogether. I know there is at least one member that lost gliders due to this (can't remember who, though)."

Here is the link to the whole post:. http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/284279/So_Question_on_Crickets_and_Af

Your gliders are young still and although I am a little concerned about the weight of the lightest one, they may just have a smaller body fram naturally. My gliders didn't reach their normal size until they were almost 2 years old.

Make sure you're offering them all the fruits and vegetables listed in the BML diet along with the staple. Even if you feel they aren't eating all of them.

Gliders don't necessarily clean their plate, they will chew or suck on the vegetables and fruits to draw the nutrients out. They have a sensitive digestive tract where they cannot process insoluble fiber and will chew their food and spit that part back out.

I hope this was helpful...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422775
10/07/20 11:54 AM
10/07/20 11:54 AM
Indonesia
C
Cloud Offline OP
Cloud  Offline OP
C

Indonesia
Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
So I watched a video from the creator of the BML diet. She was live online and did a question/answer along with explaining how the diet works. This is a proven diet meaning it's one of the best out there.

According to her gliders will keep their baseline weight or ideal weight while on this diet. It will keep them from being overweight.

I wouldn't recommend crickets. Gliders have been known to choke the their exoskeleton, and depending of what the crickets are fed, can give the gliders what it takes to make alfatoxins in their body.

This is a quote from an archived post:

"Aflatoxins are produced by a fungus that grows in certain crops (wheat, corn, soybeans, peanuts, tree nuts, etc), obviously when conditions are right for fungal growth (ie. humidity, warmth). Most crickets are raised on a corn based bedding. Once it gets moist, there's a chance for that mold/fungus to grow. I believe it also binds to the DNA, so even after several generations, it's still in your crickets.

Aflatoxin is toxic (acute exposure leads to liver damage) and a carcinogen. While it may be a small chance that your crickets even have the toxin, several have decided against feeding them altogether. I know there is at least one member that lost gliders due to this (can't remember who, though)."

Here is the link to the whole post:. http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/284279/So_Question_on_Crickets_and_Af

Your gliders are young still and although I am a little concerned about the weight of the lightest one, they may just have a smaller body fram naturally. My gliders didn't reach their normal size until they were almost 2 years old.

Make sure you're offering them all the fruits and vegetables listed in the BML diet along with the staple. Even if you feel they aren't eating all of them.

Gliders don't necessarily clean their plate, they will chew or suck on the vegetables and fruits to draw the nutrients out. They have a sensitive digestive tract where they cannot process insoluble fiber and will chew their food and spit that part back out.

I hope this was helpful...

Whoa, thank you for the information. I'll stop giving crickets for my girls, eventhough they're crazy about it.

Now that you mention it, my oldest girl used to be underweigh. She was about 70ish grams a year ago. I think she gradually gain weight half year ago. Maybe, i need to wait a little longer for my other 2 girls to gain their weight gradually.

I'm actually suspicious that my girls are underweight because their mother lack of nutrition when nursing. Sadly, glider owners in indonesia mostly are too lazy to research in english-speaking forum. They only follow what the more "experienced" owner do without even researching it. I can say that 99% glider owners in Indonesia give their gliders sucrose-loaded baby cereal. Even some of them are too lazy to give their gliders fruits or veggies. I got my girls from different owners who can no longer take care of them and all of them said "just give her banana flavored 'bubur sun' (baby cereal brand in Indonesia), no need fruits or veggies if you can't"

I hope you understand what i meant. I kinda suck writting in english lol

Last edited by Cloud; 10/07/20 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422779
10/08/20 10:50 AM
10/08/20 10:50 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
And here I thought you were using the translator. Lol!!! I was trying to word things simply.
Nope I understand what you're saying.

I know some glider cultures think chubby is cute, but it's not healthy... I am thrilled you have done some research and do what's right for your gliders. mlove

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422781
10/08/20 11:06 AM
10/08/20 11:06 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
So I just went to the BML website and see she has updated it:

http://bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422793
10/09/20 01:12 PM
10/09/20 01:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Underweight gliders [Re: Cloud] #1422847
11/09/20 12:23 PM
11/09/20 12:23 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
I would just add that gliders, like humans, can vary considerably in body structure. One of mine just passed away a few months ago and he never got to "normal" body weight in the 10.5 years I had him. He was just the Kenny Baker of sugar gliders ...

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024