Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cagemate Passing Help! #1421811
01/01/20 11:04 AM
01/01/20 11:04 AM
bohemia
T
Takaia42 Offline OP
Takaia42  Offline OP
T

bohemia
I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, but I’m still in shock and couldn’t figure out where to put this....

Please I beg of you, don’t judge me, I’m usually sooooooo careful.

I found my 5 year sugar glider Ellie, passed away this morning. She had drowned in the toilet at my boyfriends house. I must of in my sleep gone to the bathroom at some point and forgot to close the lid.... I’m not sure, as I’m on medications that generally knock me out. Well, tragedy has struck, I feeel horrible. Stitch her cagemate was going bonkers this morning when I found her. He’s sleeping now.

I’m so worried, what do I do now? I keep balling my eyes out. I’m trying to read, so I know what’s best for Stitch but, it’s really hard to right now.

I know I have to clean the cage. I’m going to keep him on me as much as possible. But do I need to get him a new cage mate? He’s 4.5 years old. What do I do, please help me.

Ellie - Whitefaced blonde - 4.5years Passed over the Rainbow Bridge 11/2015 - 1/2020 Rest in peace my dutiful little girl
Stitch - Standard grey - 4 years
Binx - Mosaic - OOP NOV 1st
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421812
01/01/20 11:25 AM
01/01/20 11:25 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Take a deep breath hug2 Everything will be okay although right now I know it doesn't seem that way, and your feeling this is all your fault and so unavoidable is completely natural. I have been through a very similar accident with my very first glider, so I know exactly what you are feeling right now.

It is natural for Stitch to be looking for her, and I wouldn't suggest at this point to allow him to see her to help him understand what happened. He will eventually calm down with extra loving from you. Having him close will also help you through the grieving process.

I would suggest you give Stitch a clean pouch for sleeping, however, do not clean everything in the cage at one time because that may cause him to go into a scent marking frenzy and might also confuse him right now. In a few days start cleaning the other items in the cage a few at a time. This will also give you something to do and keep you occupied.

When the time is right you can start looking for another partner for Stitch. Please let us know how you are both doing and let us know if we can help.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421814
01/01/20 01:03 PM
01/01/20 01:03 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am very sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and peace in your memories of her.

Glide Free Little Ellie :rbridge:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421818
01/02/20 10:10 AM
01/02/20 10:10 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I am so sorry you have to go through this.

Give Stitch some extra blankies (4"×4" pieces of cut fleece) in his pouch. It will give him something to cuddle with and keep him warmer.

He needs some things to keep him busy like foraging:

I use Easter eggs, small containers like what mini M&M's come in, tic-tac boxes, toothbrush covers, you can put some of his favorite pieces of fruit or veg's instead of all sweets. Take some of his fruits and vegs from his diet and hide them or skewer them in to raw spaghetti and hang in a corner of the cage so he has to work at it. Alice carrots or celery and poke in various places through the cage bars. Especially where he can hang upsidedown..

Does he have toys? Or a toy box full of army men? Plastic bracelets, ping pong balls, barrel of monkeys? Natural feathers? I'm not fully awake yet but this is a start...

Watch him for over grooming too.

Please keep us posted on Stitch and how he's doing.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Ladymagyver] #1421832
01/04/20 11:55 AM
01/04/20 11:55 AM
bohemia
T
Takaia42 Offline OP
Takaia42  Offline OP
T

bohemia
Hi! Thanks for responding, and everyone who has. It has been really tough for my boyfriend and I and probably Stitch too.

I keep crying, and picturing it over and over,I even got sent home from work early, but they meant it nicely... (I work with animals all day (small animals)). Ellie is being cremated and I’ll hVe her back soon. It still feels so unreal. Stitch has been coming with me everywhere but it’s hard bc he’s been awake when I have to go to work and so he’s a no to the pouch. I go to work at 7 btw. But he usually settles down.

Stitch, so he’s not eating much. Unless I give it to him by hand or it’s a treat. His vet told me to put him on pellets and supplement with veggies and fruit and buggies. They used to be gone in the morning and it looks like he only took a few bites. I just bought the HPW insect and fruit and HPW honey and fruit for him off exotic nutrition should be here in a few days. Got him mango nectar pods too. My vet wants him on something that has measurable dietary content where making it’s not consistent I think she said.
I think the eating is due to being sad.

He still wakes up at the normal time but doesn’t start playing till 10-11pm and wakes around 7:30-8. When he wakes up he kinda just freezes and stares. He used to do that occasionally so I’m not too worried but it’s more frequent and longer periods now. He really doesn’t like pouches too much rn. I made him a brand new one though he’s did go in it once! But he refuses all others. Even clean ones. I put new stuff in his cage big didn’t take out the old stuff, I’m gonna rearrange the cage today. And maybe start cleaning some of it!? Or a few pieces. We are gonna order some more toys for him too.

Now when he first met Ellie they immediately ran into each other’s pouches. The breeder put them together. I don’t know when I should look into a new cage mate for him. I don’t know when the time is right!? I could do it now but is it too soon!? I have second cage that’s ready though. This whole thing is just so mind boggling I can’t believe it I really can’t

Ellie - Whitefaced blonde - 4.5years Passed over the Rainbow Bridge 11/2015 - 1/2020 Rest in peace my dutiful little girl
Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: KarenE] #1421833
01/04/20 11:58 AM
01/04/20 11:58 AM
bohemia
T
Takaia42 Offline OP
Takaia42  Offline OP
T

bohemia
Originally Posted by KarenE
Take a deep breath hug2 Everything will be okay although right now I know it doesn't seem that way, and your feeling this is all your fault and so unavoidable is completely natural. I have been through a very similar accident with my very first glider, so I know exactly what you are feeling right now.

It is natural for Stitch to be looking for her, and I wouldn't suggest at this point to allow him to see her to help him understand what happened. He will eventually calm down with extra loving from you. Having him close will also help you through the grieving process.

I would suggest you give Stitch a clean pouch for sleeping, however, do not clean everything in the cage at one time because that may cause him to go into a scent marking frenzy and might also confuse him right now. In a few days start cleaning the other items in the cage a few at a time. This will also give you something to do and keep you occupied.

When the time is right you can start looking for another partner for Stitch. Please let us know how you are both doing and let us know if we can help.

Thanks I really needed that. I’m still in shock! Bringing her to the vet was so hard....! I’m doing the best I can for me and stitch! I replied below with an update! Thanks so much for reaching out!

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421834
01/04/20 06:12 PM
01/04/20 06:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Takaia42

Stitch, so he’s not eating much. Unless I give it to him by hand or it’s a treat. His vet told me to put him on pellets and supplement with veggies and fruit and buggies. They used to be gone in the morning and it looks like he only took a few bites. I just bought the HPW insect and fruit and HPW honey and fruit for him off exotic nutrition should be here in a few days. Got him mango nectar pods too. My vet wants him on something that has measurable dietary content where making it’s not consistent I think she said.

Exotic Nutrition isn't the best food for your glider. There have been gliders that have died on their diets. One lady even opened up a new bag of the Instant HPW and it had bugs in it. A couple years ago someone had it tested and what is in the bag is not accurately reflected on the label.

I suggest looking into Critterlove. It is the most tested diet out there, you can learn more at Critterlove.com
Peggy even has kibble or pellets on her website. It is actually Happy Glider kibble by PetPro, which in my opinion are the best kibble or pellet out there for sugar gliders.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421835
01/05/20 12:17 PM
01/05/20 12:17 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I second all of Feather's advise. Especially the exotic nutrition. And Critterlove.

As far as a new friend, you can get started right away.

I would recommend a 30 day quarantine to make sure your new glider isn't sick or over stressed.

A vet check for both gliders with a urine test and fecal smear on day one and on day 30 before intro's are even started. Since gliders are so good at hiding illness, it's just a good idea to get this out of the way.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Feather] #1421836
01/05/20 02:30 PM
01/05/20 02:30 PM
bohemia
T
Takaia42 Offline OP
Takaia42  Offline OP
T

bohemia
Originally Posted by Feather

Exotic Nutrition isn't the best food for your glider. There have been gliders that have died on their diets. One lady even opened up a new bag of the Instant HPW and it had bugs in it. A couple years ago someone had it tested and what is in the bag is not accurately reflected on the label.

I suggest looking into Critterlove. It is the most tested diet out there, you can learn more at Critterlove.com
Peggy even has kibble or pellets on her website. It is actually Happy Glider kibble by PetPro, which in my opinion are the best kibble or pellet out there for sugar gliders.

Okay so I read both replies, I’m gonna return the HPWs that I ordered and get critter love. I am gonna keep the nectar pods as they should be okay right!?

I made stitch all new cage stuff today! Just have to make more pouches! I think he needs more in his cage but I can’t link a pic rn! I didn’t clean his toys but I rearranged them and left a pouch that smells like Ellie. Unless I should take it out!?

He doesn’t seem to want to be in his cage rn though, he explored it a bit and keeps jumping to me or my bf.

We are actually meeting a breeder today! The joeys we are looking at were OOP Nov 1st or right before so they are much younger than stitch! The males are also unneutered! Will that be a problem if I have 1 unneutered male and one neutered!? I’ll be getting the second neutered if we get him. Hopefully it’s not too soon! Any advice is great!

Thank you

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421837
01/05/20 05:29 PM
01/05/20 05:29 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
The nectar pods are fine as treats. As far as I know, there haven't been any I'll effect from them.

If it were me, I would have him neutered before intro's. It will help keep the marking smell down. Especially in the future.

Dot and Fiona were 4 years older than Stewie, I held off intros till he was closer to their size. Now (going on 2 yrs old) he weighs more than they do.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421838
01/06/20 03:57 PM
01/06/20 03:57 PM
bohemia
T
Takaia42 Offline OP
Takaia42  Offline OP
T

bohemia
Hi, So my boyfriend and I actually went to a breeder the other day, and ended up coming home with a Baby Boy OOP beginning of November. My new Baby Boys name is Binx. The breeder refused to sell her gliders unless you brought yours with you, that way she knew she wasn't selling a singe glider which I think is good. She said she does the introductions herself which I was uneasy about but she swore by it. She essentially did what the breeder I got Stitch from did with Ellie.

I checked her glider out and he looked healthy, he also had good poops, but I know I was supposed to QT First so I am going to bring both of them to the vet as it is time for the yearly visit anyway. Stitch took to him surprisingly fast though. No bawling up or fighting or biting. I was worried since Binx is smaller than Stitch. But they seem to be getting along fine and are currently both sleeping in pouch together. Stitch ate more food than he has been since Ellie passed away.

Now heres my question. Binx is Unneutered and Stitch is Neutered is this going to be a problem? Binx isn't sexually mature yet though, so, so far I don't think its a problem? What do I do? Should I neuter Binx? and when do I neuter him since he is a Baby.

Also I was worried to leave Binx and Stitch home alone while I was at work today, so I brought them with me. They have just been sleeping on each other all day. I was just worried that they might fight and I wouldn't be there. Binx poop is a bit weird today, but Im attributing it to stress from being taken from his parents, new home, and food change (she was feeding Binx Rachel Ray Cat food O.o). Im hoping his poo becomes normal again soon, but I'm monitoring his water intake, and either way he's going to the vet, but do you think that could be the reason?

Im going to start Tent time with Binx today. But should I bring Stitch in to so that he doesn't get jealous or is it okay to play with them one at a time for now? or is it too soon for Tent time since I got him last night. (the baby is very sweet and just hangs out on you or in your hood) Sorry its been awhile since I had a new baby.

Also being that they slept all day together today and were fine last night do you think I should be good to leave them at home when I'm at work? (I usually bring them to work once bonded) but on the chances that I may have to leave them home or should I get a babysitter ack

thanks for the replies you guys have been so helpful.

Re: Cagemate Passing Help! [Re: Takaia42] #1421839
01/06/20 04:20 PM
01/06/20 04:20 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hi, So my boyfriend and I actually went to a breeder the other day, and ended up coming home with a Baby Boy OOP beginning of November. My new Baby Boys name is Binx. The breeder refused to sell her gliders unless you brought yours with you, that way she knew she wasn't selling a singe glider which I think is good. She said she does the introductions herself which I was uneasy about but she swore by it. She essentially did what the breeder I got Stitch from did with Ellie.

I checked her glider out and he looked healthy, he also had good poops, but I know I was supposed to QT First so I am going to bring both of them to the vet as it is time for the yearly visit anyway. Stitch took to him surprisingly fast though. No bawling up or fighting or biting. I was worried since Binx is smaller than Stitch. But they seem to be getting along fine and are currently both sleeping in pouch together. Stitch ate more food than he has been since Ellie passed away.That is good.

Now heres my question. Binx is Unneutered and Stitch is Neutered is this going to be a problem? Binx isn't sexually mature yet though, so, so far I don't think its a problem? What do I do? Should I neuter Binx? and when do I neuter him since he is a Baby. I would neuter your little guy when your vet is comfortable neutering him. It will eliminate any testosterone driven fights.

Also I was worried to leave Binx and Stitch home alone while I was at work today, so I brought them with me. They have just been sleeping on each other all day. I was just worried that they might fight and I wouldn't be there. Binx poop is a bit weird today, but Im attributing it to stress from being taken from his parents, new home, and food change (she was feeding Binx Rachel Ray Cat food O.o). Im hoping his poo becomes normal again soon, but I'm monitoring his water intake, and either way he's going to the vet, but do you think that could be the reason? Stress could be the reason, but if he has Giardia stress makes it flourish. So have your vet do a snap test for Giardia.

Im going to start Tent time with Binx today. But should I bring Stitch in to so that he doesn't get jealous or is it okay to play with them one at a time for now? or is it too soon for Tent time since I got him last night. (the baby is very sweet and just hangs out on you or in your hood) Sorry its been awhile since I had a new baby. Yes, take Stitch in the tent too.

Also being that they slept all day together today and were fine last night do you think I should be good to leave them at home when I'm at work? (I usually bring them to work once bonded) but on the chances that I may have to leave them home or should I think they would be ok home in their cage, but hang a second pouch in the cage in case they have a little tiff. I get a babysitter ack

thanks for the replies you guys have been so helpful.

Kimberley

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024