Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Before I Buy Questions #1420643
06/21/19 01:11 PM
06/21/19 01:11 PM

C
clreilly OP
Unregistered
clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and wanted to ask a few questions. I spoke to some breeders already, but my boyfriend thinks they are just saying what I want to hear so I will purchase the animal. We are looking at getting two baby females (preferably already bonded to each other). I want to get y'alls opinion on some of the things we've heard.

First, we were told that females only have a 50/50% chance of liking each other and if not, one will kill the other.

Second, my boyfriend is determined they will smell awful all the time even with regular cleaning.

Third, I was told they are very loud all the time. I know they make crabbing sounds as babies and bark too, but do they do it all the time for no reason?

Lastly, I heard from a few people you can potty train them with a lot of patience and persistence. Is that true?

I work days and he works nights so bonding won't be an issue. I own my own business and planned to wear them in a pouch at work and keep a cage in my office. I have severe insomnia so I am usually up a few days in a row and can play with them on the nights I don't sleep too. My boyfriend gets home around 3am so he would wear them around and play with them when he gets home from work.

I have done a ton of research, picked out a vet in town that has worked with gliders for years, put all the supplies in my cart for when we are ready. I just need to convince the boyfriend.

Thanks in advance!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420644
06/21/19 01:36 PM
06/21/19 01:36 PM
NY
M
mariad3 Offline
mariad3  Offline
M

NY
Hello and welcome!

From my experience, female-female pairs or neutered male-female pairs typically work very well. What generally leads to problems or fighting are two unneutered males living together, especially when other females are around. If you get a pair off the bat who were already living together, you probably won't have any issues. If you are planning on getting joeys, they're generally open to a new cage mate. If two gliders "hate" each other, you'll definitely know. They will ball up and fight/scream and if this were to ever happen you'll want to separate them immediately.

Sugar gliders are caged animals, so yes, they have a consistent smell to them. Females generally smell less "musty" than males. However, just because they have an odor does not mean that they will smell awful!!! I spot clean my cage ~2x per week (I wipe it down with baby wipes) and do a regular cleaning once per week and it's just fine. I change their cage set and clean their cage toys about once per month. It's important to not clean EVERYTHING at once because sugar gliders are scent-oriented animals and they will mark the cage with their scent like crazy if there isn't at least something in there that they recognize. Their cage is in my bedroom and I've never had any issues. They are messy eaters, though, so I suggest either keeping the cage a few inches from the wall or covering the back of the cage to prevent food from getting on your walls. Also, a handheld vacuum is a staple in my home to clean up around the cage every few days. Some people make "glider kitchens" (essentially they cover their food dish to try to contain the mess) but their messiness has never been enough of an issue for me to try it, so I can't tell you how well it works.

They are loud during the night. During the day when they're sleeping, you wouldn't even know they're in the cage or my shirt. During the night, they do make sounds like barking, hissing, chattering etc. and you can hear them jumping around in the cage. I'm a pretty average sleepier (not remarkably heavy or light) but it doesn't bother me and the cage is in my bedroom. I use a stealth wheel and it's surprisingly silent. I don't hear it spinning, I just hear the sound of my gliders landing on it! As far as crabbing, you will probably hear it a lot in the beginning (especially if you have joeys) when you try handling them. This should subside with time as they begin to trust you. I haven't heard my gliders who I've had for almost 3 years now crab in a very long time!

"Potty training" seems to be controversial. I wouldn't say you can potty train them, but you can predict their bathroom habits. For example, if my gliders are in my shirt where they sleep, they won't pee or poop on me. If they're hanging out on me outside of my clothes, they will pee and poop on me. Luckily their poop isn't mushy or runny, so it's very easy to clean up after them. Sometimes if it's during the day and they are tired, I can manage to get a tissue or baby wipe under them while they do their business. If it's night time, they're way too energetic and I just clean up after they go where they please, haha.

As far as bonding, it's best to use the pouch during the day when they are sleeping. Since you work during the day, that should be fine. You can also put some apple slices or halved grapes in the pouch to keep them satiated and hydrated throughout the day if they're outside of the cage. However, when your boyfriend is with them at night he shouldn't really "wear" them around in a bonding pouch because that is when they are awake and active.

Overall, sugar gliders are awesome pets! While they aren't for everyone, if you are willing to put in the time and effort to give them the care they need, it's so worth it. They really are such cool animals that are a great mix of cuddly and playful.

Something else that is important is diet. What do you plan on feeding them?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420645
06/21/19 01:44 PM
06/21/19 01:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much for responding so quickly! The vet I spoke with suggested GlideRChow from Pocket Pets, along with GlideAMins (their vitamins for sugar gliders). I also was planning on fresh fruits as snacks/ treats to make up 20-80% of their diet depending on the age, but I know they need their protein from the chow.

Also what time do yours normally become wake up/ go to sleep?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420646
06/21/19 02:20 PM
06/21/19 02:20 PM

C
clreilly OP
Unregistered
clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

Sorry that last post was from me. I was having issues registering. I would register but then it would say my account didn't exist.

Another side question: what kind of wheel do you have? Do you know the brand or model?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420647
06/21/19 02:45 PM
06/21/19 02:45 PM
NY
M
mariad3 Offline
mariad3  Offline
M

NY
Of course I'm not a veterinarian, but I feel like I need to warn you that there is a lot of controversy about Pocket Pets both as a breeder and a business- a quick Google search should show you what other people's experiences have been like with the company. I encourage you to take a look at the forum here about diet at http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/98 to see what else is out there!

The time they wake up seems to vary on the season. In the summer when it gets dark later, they wake up between 9-11. During the winter months, they get up more around 8-10. They usually go to sleep around 7-8 am. If I wake up before they go to sleep, once I open the curtains or turn on the light it's bedtime for them! During the day I typically feed them mealworms as a snack and I have them sleep in my shirt for some bonding and cuddle time.

I have a stealth wheel but after a bit of searching it looks like it isn't sold anymore. I believe this is the newer version of what I have. https://www.etsy.com/listing/683948890/bundle-new-freedom-19-black-stealth?ref=sold_out-3&cns=1 it is expensive, but a good quality, safe wheel is a must. I've had mine for almost 3 years and there have been no issues. My little ones use it every night and it's very easy to clean!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420648
06/21/19 02:49 PM
06/21/19 02:49 PM

C
clreilly OP
Unregistered
clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

I definitely wasn't planning to purchase the animal from Pocket Pets. I want to actually go to the breeder and see the conditions of their animals. I had no idea about the issues with Pocket Pets. What other sites do you suggest that are better for supplies, etc. Also, what do you feed your gliders?

I really appreciate all your help! I'll take any and all advice and information!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420649
06/21/19 03:11 PM
06/21/19 03:11 PM
NY
M
mariad3 Offline
mariad3  Offline
M

NY
exoticnutrition.com is nice for toys, treats, cages, and accessories. They also sell pellet food, but I wouldn't use that as their staple diet. Also, I saw that they sell a sugar glider leash... but that really isn't good. A leash could damage the membrane they use to help them glide, and they don't like feeling restricted. Etsy also has some awesome sugar glider shops, especially for bonding pouches and cage sets!! My gliders eat the BML diet. I All of the supplies can be found at the grocery and pet store, so it's nice not having to worry about ordering online. BML involves a mix that you prepare in the blender, but it's not super time consuming because you pour it into ice cube trays and you're good for about a month. It also involves feeding fruits and vegetables each night. My babies really enjoy blueberries, cherries, apples, green beans and peas, but every glider is different! It's certainly more work than a simple pellet food, but it gives your gliders the proper nutrition and the variety they need in their diet! Once you get used to it, preparing BML takes less than 20 minutes. My gliders also love mealworms, yogurt drops and dried mango as treats smile

Last edited by mariad3; 06/21/19 03:13 PM.
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420650
06/21/19 03:24 PM
06/21/19 03:24 PM

C
clreilly OP
Unregistered
clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

All of this is amazing!! I have a few more questions since you mentioned the info from Pocket Pets isn't the most reliable. I've seen a lot of conflicting arguments about bonding. Some say hold them ASAP some say wait until they walk on your hand on their own... What did you do?

Also what about hanging pouches vs fleece near a heat rock for babies?

Sorry I have so many questions!!!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420651
06/21/19 03:58 PM
06/21/19 03:58 PM
NY
M
mariad3 Offline
mariad3  Offline
M

NY
I personally waited for them to come onto my hand on their own, as I did not want them to associate my hand with feeling scared. I would hold their pouch with them inside of it and speak softly to them. I rubbed fleece squares with my scent on them and put it in their nesting pouch- I still do that to this day when I change their pouch sets! Something that takes practice (at least it did for me, lol) is not being jumpy when they crab at you. It's loud and it startles you but I would try to be as still as possible. Before I got them, I asked the breeder what their favorite treats were and made sure to buy them before bringing them home. I would offer them a treat (from a bit of a distance) and if they crabbed at me, I would just keep my hand there and not draw it away until they realized that my hand was nothing to be afraid of, but instead it was something that brought them a yummy treat! For bonding time, a pop-up tent works wonders. Bring your phone, laptop, a book or whatever and just sit in there. Let the gliders come out of their pouch and explore at their own pace and at their own will. They will learn that climbing on you is fun for them and that you're not so scary after all! Being patient is so, so important.

I never used a heat rock, nor would I recommend it. Gliders shouldn't need a heat rock if they are at an appropriate age to go to their new home. They could also chew on the cord and hurt themselves. None of my gliders are particularly "chewy" but I would never risk it. I use hanging pouches with one or two fleece squares in it! I also had nesting boxes with several fleece squares in them for a short while, but mine prefer the hanging pouches.

Also, if you have trouble getting them into a bonding pouch you can try hanging the bonding pouch open in the cage so that they're sleeping in it already when you want to take it out. Some gliders don't like bonding pouches (cough cough- one of mine hates zippers and feeling trapped hahaha) and they may try to struggle their way out. If this happens, you can try wearing two shirts and tucking them in, then placing the nesting pouch in between the two shirts. That way, your gliders are in a pouch they like, they can explore your scent, and they're not out in the open to get into danger while you're still working on trusting each other!

Last edited by mariad3; 06/21/19 04:03 PM.
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420652
06/21/19 04:03 PM
06/21/19 04:03 PM

C
clreilly OP
Unregistered
clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

Awesome. I'm going to go home and do more research! I will probably have more questions in the morning!

Thank you again for everything!!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420653
06/21/19 04:25 PM
06/21/19 04:25 PM
NY
M
mariad3 Offline
mariad3  Offline
M

NY
No problem, feel free to reach out smile

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420654
06/22/19 12:14 AM
06/22/19 12:14 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hi and Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!!

You have been given some good advice.

As far as diets go, in my opinion the best one out there is Critterlove. You can learn more about Critterlove at Critterlove.com. There is Critterlove Plus where you add your own eggs, bee pollen and honey to the powder with water or Critterlove Complete which has the honey, bee pollen and eggs all in there in powder form you just add water.

With one of those staples you feed one of the five salad mixtures, with only two gliders I suggest cutting the salad mixtures in half. You rotate through them.

I am not sure why your having problems with the registration process. Hopefully it will work for you soon, so you can get full use of the forum.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420656
06/22/19 03:01 PM
06/22/19 03:01 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcomegc: wave

I also use the Critterlove diet.

Are they smelly? Depends on how sensitive you are to smell. They are scent oriented, so they do mark their territory and will over mark if you keep their cage too clean. They also overmark when they feel threatened or their territory is threatened.

As far as strong urine smell, no. If you do smell strong urine, a vet visit is in order.

Speaking of vets, it's a good idea to have a vet fund tucked away. When they get sick, I can get costly sometimes. I have 3 and try to keep a fund of about$1500 - $2000. I'd rather be safe than sorry. In almost 5 years, Ive spent about $1500. That includes an annual check up, with fecals and urine test, a UTI, constipation, vomiting, 1 neuter, and a dominance wound. All with follow up...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420659
06/23/19 03:39 AM
06/23/19 03:39 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
You've received many great answers, but I thought I would toss my $0.04 into the mix. From my four gliders who I've raised since they were 9 weeks old, I have experienced four very different personalities. Two females (related) and two males (not related to each other or the females), 1 platinum, 1 WFB, 1 BB, & 1 classic, all OOP within seven days of each other. I've also been reading everything I could since roughly six months before I took the plunge.

Question 1: Females only being 50/50 on getting along?
From mine & everything I've read... this is not a thing. Intact males seem to be more prone to fighting for dominance, but with proper & slow introductions, it seems to be manageable. Outside of that, or in other words amongst neutered males & females, there appears to be no difference that I've been able to track from experience or information available.

Question 2: Always smell awful?
All animals have a scent (as do most people), but awful? As long as I do some basics to take care of the cage, there isn't anymore smell than having any other pet I've owned (& I've owned quite a variety in my time). There have been times when life got REALLY crazy & I went several weeks between changing the fleece furniture or wiping the cage, & only then did I notice something when I came home that there were 'critters' in the house. Otherwise, I notice cats & large dogs more than my house or a couple I visited that had gliders. My males are neutered, I understand that helps.

Question 3: Loud all the time?
Short version: Nope.
Long version: They sleep during the day. Maybe the occasional chirping, popping, or a quick bark. At night, most of the time I can just hear them playing (jumping around, maybe some chirps). It isn't bad at all. Yes, mine will bark, particularly Gwynevere... it can get surprisingly loud (not kidding). That said, it really isn't too common with mine, maybe a night or two a week in phases. It seems to help that we have a routine down that lets them know when I'm going away for the evening... most of the time. Still, I sleep through almost everything they do, even when I've kept them in my bedroom while traveling. Except Gywn's barking...

Question 4: Potty training?
I've heard some people have managed this. I've been trying for three years now... I'm no closer to it since when I started. I swear both Arthur & Gywn do it on purpose. Gywn to claim me & Arthur because he never stops. The other two fuzzbutts aren't bad about it at all, may the occasional small puddle or pellet to clean up after them.

Question 5: Wake times?
Mine vary a little with the season & personality. In general, I can expect activity around sunset, whatever time that happens. Merlin seems to be a little less dependant on the sun, getting up pretty consistently between 1800hrs (winter) & 2000 (summer). On the other hand, Arthur won't get his royal hiney out of the pouch if the sun it remotely near the horizon. The girls vary somewhere between the two with Gywn being a little more consistent than Morgana. All of them will play for a while, then nap, play again with another nap, etc.

Question 6: What wheel?
There are several great ones out there. I personally have two Raptor wheels: a larger, cage-mounted one; & a smaller, stand-mounted one. I love them! I've heard great things about the Stealth wheels & a few others that you can read about on this site.

Question 7: Sources other than Pocket Pets?
I got my gliders from thepetglider.com (TPG) & if I was to purchase some more I'd contact that breeder again. It was very nice purchasing for her, especially when I was living overseas. For other items like accessories, Sun Coast Suger Gliders, Critterlove, TPG, & a few members here all have a lot of good resources, supplies, & necessities.

Question 8: What do you feed?
This isn't one you directly asked, but was asked of you & mentioned. I currently feed Critterlove Complete & mine love it. Previously I fed them following the Suncoast diet & they were healthy on it. I occasionally fall back on it if life gets crazy since there is less prep time, but I prefer giving them the Critterlove since it has been well tested. (& really, with a little prep, it isn't that bad to serve.)

Question 9: When to hold?
The best answer I can offer is: Do not force it. Move slow, encourage them, but let them show interest. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't take this route completely & it worked, but not without some setbacks along the way. Also, mine made me a little paranoid at the beginning which led to my initial faster moves. Looking back, I feel we all would have been better served if I had taken a couple of days for them to recover from their trip to me before interacting beyond the most basic levels. That doesn't mean ignore them, but you can interact in less direct ways such as talking at them & letting them see you near the cage in a less-threatening way. Bribery (aka treats) help.

Question 10: Heat rocks?
No. Joeys ready to leave the parents do not need it, so heat rocks only add risk without any practical reward.

--------------------------------------

I think that covers everything that you've asked above & contributes to the great answers you've already been provided. In all, I really have to say that each glider seems to have its very own, distinct personality. At least mine do. I cannot follow the same 'rules' when dealing with any one of them or expect the same response to anything I do. If you think I'm joking, I invite you to read through the on-going blogging of my furballs' antics; I've tracked them from their arrival on this site; the first thread is linked in my signature block. There are several others who've done similar things. These threads give an idea of what life with these gliders is like.

I can honestly say they are a big part of my remaining sanity & wouldn't trade mine for anything.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420660
06/23/19 04:25 AM
06/23/19 04:25 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Yep, I agree strongly with Hutch.

bonding is a time and patience thing. As long as everyone is on board with having gliders, you'll be fine. Otherwise the one who doesn't agree in having them will always find fault.

They are a long time commitment that requires a lot of your time. We've had 4 years, 9 months and 18 days... (Well, 17 days and 5 hours by the time of this post). With no regrets. Hubby and I both take care of them and we were on board 100% from the beginning. We are older, and our kids are grown up with 14 grandkids. No other pets.

We make some of our decisions based on our gliders. They go where we go. We travel constantly with them. Our newest Stewie (neutered) struggles with change, but he adapts quickly in a few days. He has to mark everything, but other than I know where he's been, it really doesn't smell. A bit of a musk scent would be the best way to describe it. Or maybe I'm used to it. He also farts when he's nervous...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420687
06/25/19 02:11 PM
06/25/19 02:11 PM

C
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

You guys are AMAZING. I just placed my order for the cages and supplies today. Now I am looking into breeders. A lot of the pages I am coming across are inactive. I am going to look into the pet glider so thank you for that suggestion. You guys are so knowledgable and welcoming and I really appreciate it. I can't thank you all enough!!!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420697
06/28/19 12:05 AM
06/28/19 12:05 AM

C
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

Hey guys! Me again... So I got my cage all put together and I would love some input on how you guys set yours up.

First off, do you guys put the food and water toward the top or the bottom of the cage.

Second, I feel like I am stuck between being afraid of having too much stuff in the cage or not enough. What are some cage must-haves that you guys suggest? Right now its looking pretty plain. I have some shelving and ladders that came with the cage, a water bottle, food dish, hanging pouch, and a wheel.

Third, if anyone has suggestions on where to get quality toys/ enrichment stuff that isn't crazy expensive let me know!

Thank you!!!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420698
06/28/19 12:29 AM
06/28/19 12:29 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I keep a minimum of two water sources & two snack dishes (dry food) in their cage all the time. One if medium-high (about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom) while the other is medium-low (about 1/3 up from the bottom). Dinner gets split between two & three dishes that I disperse around the cage as I feel like it.

It is very possible to have too much & too little, but it isn't like there is a magic point of perfection. The furballs like to leap & jump, & need room to do so, but also need enough furniture & toys to keep entertained. I'd recommend a couple of pouches, a couple corner-hammocks up high, & maybe two other hammocks or perches spread around (depending on the size of your cage). At least 1 wheel, a dangling rope/climbing something, & a one or two enrichment-type toys (again, depending on size).

In general, enrichment toys do not need to be elaborate... just something to make them think or work. It could be as simple as hiding some treats in a breath mint can or tin. You can easily make some if you're so inclined. Check-out the 'Housing & Accessories' section of the forum & its sub-forums. Also, YouTube has a bunch of how-to videos.

As far as sources: Sun Coast Sugar Gliders, Critter Love, TPG, Etsy, Up-till-Dawn, & even Amazon has stuff. Also, check out the classified area at the bottom of the forum; several people who create stuff post there.

Hope that helps!

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420699
06/28/19 03:31 AM
06/28/19 03:31 AM

C
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
Clreilly OP
Unregistered
C

Thanks Hutch!

What dry food do you use? All the food I've seen says you need to add water. I'll definitely check out those shops online and the other forums! I'm really excited we got in contact with a breeder a few hours away from us. She has two girls that will be ready for a new home in about 8 weeks. We are planning a trip to meet them and I couldn't be more excited. I'm trying to get as much ready as I can.

What are your thoughts on Instant HPW from ExoticNutrition?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420705
06/28/19 10:59 AM
06/28/19 10:59 AM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
I was finally able to register my account!

Side question: I really want to get some trees for our living room for our gliders to play on. I've seen a few lists of GlideSafe house plants, but I either don't see trees on the lists (only small plants) or the trees listed aren't at a local store and have to be purchased online. Does anyone know of any common indoor trees that are GliderSafe?

Thanks guys! Sorry again for all my questions!!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420706
06/28/19 12:08 PM
06/28/19 12:08 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
On safe trees, I would go with a fake one. If they mess on it, just take outside and hose off.

As far as toys go, bangle bracelets for kids, army men, barrel of monkeys can be hung throughout, tictac boxes are great for foraging, a toy box can a small tray or plastic basket, milk rings that are split work great too. You can do a lot with very little $. Dollar tree is my favorite place to shop.

I use Happy glider pellets from pet-pro.com

Please stay away from exotic nutrition food. Their ingredient list is inaccurate and inconsistent. Many gliders have gotten sick from their food products.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420707
06/28/19 01:36 PM
06/28/19 01:36 PM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
Got it. I will stay away from them! Yea I was kind of thinking I would have to go with the fake trees. Thanks for the advice!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420708
06/28/19 02:28 PM
06/28/19 02:28 PM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
As far as household hazards are concerned. I read that the fumes from non-stick pans are toxic. Is that just when someone is cooking or does it make the food toxic to the glider too? Also, any idea on how far those fumes travel or should we just toss out all the non-stick pans?

Another side note, do you guys take your gliders for annual vet checkups or just when you think they may be sick?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: clreilly] #1420709
06/28/19 05:33 PM
06/28/19 05:33 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by clreilly
As far as household hazards are concerned. I read that the fumes from non-stick pans are toxic. Is that just when someone is cooking or does it make the food toxic to the glider too? Also, any idea on how far those fumes travel or should we just toss out all the non-stick pans?

Another side note, do you guys take your gliders for annual vet checkups or just when you think they may be sick?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

I do annual check ups.

I use stainless steel pans at home and I have non-stick pots in the RV. I don't ever use the non-stick on high heat. I do scrambled eggs for them in a copper coated fry pan in the RV and at home. I have no idea how far the fumes travel, but I believe it's only on high heat.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420710
06/28/19 10:46 PM
06/28/19 10:46 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
My gliders also love feathers to chew on and rip up. One of their favorites.

Plastic straws that have been through a pencil sharpener are also fun. I also put in safe fake leaves, sometimes on fake vines. They like to chew them off and play with them. They sometimes drag them into the pouch too.

Dobby :grey: Elric :wfb: Arwen :plat: Eilonwy :leu:
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420712
06/28/19 11:33 PM
06/28/19 11:33 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
As far as diet for the gliders, Critterlove is one of the best out there.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420713
06/29/19 12:10 AM
06/29/19 12:10 AM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
I'm actually really disappointed. I found out Critter Love is located in Fruit Cove which is right near where I live in Jacksonville. The part that I am disappointed about is I just found out they are in the process of moving to Texas. I did speak to someone and I am going to set up an appointment to meet with them and meet their gliders next week. Right now we are looking at different breeders. I found one with two beautiful baby girls that will be ready to go home in about 8 weeks, but they are pretty expensive so we are still looking around. I am going to go see those babies in the next few weeks. That breeder is three and a half hours away from me.

I know I am going to be looking at their environment when I go because I want to make sure I am buying from someone reputable, but is there anything specific I should look out for in regard to the gliders? Personality, fur, the diet that sort of thing? Any warning signs I should look out for?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420714
06/29/19 12:22 AM
06/29/19 12:22 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Another series of questions deserves another series of answers, hehe:

1. What dry food do I feed?
For a long time, I fed Suncoast's Wholesome Balance. More recently, I've switched to the Critter Love Fruity Kibble after my furbrains basically inhaled a sample Peggy included in an order of Critter Love Complete. To be clear, the dry food is just a 'side' that I leave in their cage all day long if they wish to snack (or finish dinner & are still peckish). The main staple I feed is the Critter Love complete & rotate through the associated 'salads.'

2. breeder nearby. (INFO)
CONGRATZ! & good luck!!

3. Exotic Nutrition?
So, I've not heard anything good from those who've looked into it. I did check out the bottle when I first came back to the states to read what they said about themselves. Basically, they said very little & what they did list was preservatives & added artificial sweeteners. Personally, I'll pass on giving mine that stuff. There are plenty of diets out there that avoid those chemicals. Even treat can be 'healthy.' Look at things like dried fruit or unseasoned/raw nuts. (Mine would commit murder if it meant a pine nut...) Unsweetened Yogurt Drops seem to be Sugar Glider crack: Highly addictive & they'll do almost anything for their next fix (except pass up a pine nut).

4. Trees?
If you buy it, they will climb & pee on it. Not quite the Pot of Dreams, but something to keep in mind when selecting. Outside of the fact mine like to chew on Eucalyptus & Apple branches, I honestly don't know what would be good or bad for gliders. I agree with Dawn, fake would be easier to maintain.

5. Household Hazards?
The pan fumes is a new one on me. I've never noticed any effect with any pet I've had despite using non-stick Teflon most of my adult life. Then again, I rarely have pets in the kitchen. My personal take: Use common sense of what causes fumes or leaves residue, keep in mind their small bodies & lungs, but don't overthink it. For example, I won't have mine in the same room I clean my guns or brass cases in due to the significant fumes, or in the areas I use lubricant or gunpower since it is so hard to clean it all up. I will let them play in other areas I just cleaned because I'm conservative with chemicals & rinse it away.

6. vet visits?
At a minimum, I do annual check-ups.

7. Feathers (INFO)
I will second feathers & straws as toys... just don't expect them to last long wink Also try lightly knotting cord.

------------------------------------------------------

Hope all of that helps smile I doubt anyone here minds the questions (I sure don't) so please do not feel the need to apologize for asking them. We're all here to communicate with the community & help each other out for the best experience of slave & gliders.

Last edited by Hutch; 06/29/19 12:25 AM.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420719
06/29/19 12:01 PM
06/29/19 12:01 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Just a FYI for you and Hutch. The kibble that Critterlove is selling is Happy Glider by PetPro. The best on the market for kibble in my opinion.

Kimberley

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1420733
07/02/19 11:26 AM
07/02/19 11:26 AM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
Thanks! More questions ahead!!

I have been looking through breeders like crazy and I am seeing gliders from $199-$1500. I know color will make a difference in price but even some with similar colors that look identical the price range can be crazy. Any info on this? Are they really worth that much or are we being scammed? We just want happy/healthy babies but don't want to be scammed in the process.

Next, one of the breeders I spoke with said that a neutered male loses the chest gland and bald spot. Is that true?

Thanks again you wonderful people!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024