Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Attachment disorder in sugar gliders. #1420180
04/23/19 04:07 PM
04/23/19 04:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Im not new. Its been a long time ive forgotten all my info. I bought 2 young gliders from a company for two rescues who had recently lost mates.
I didn't know at the time I was buying from someone who would fall under the classification of mill breeder.
It's been 7 years and I have never been able to handle either one without getting bit and them getting way over stressed. I had tried various things and sought advice, but no change in behavior so instead of forcing them and stealing them, I let them be pretty much, I interacting with occasional touch and a lot of talking and favirile foods, but time didn't help

I've rescued around 50 and have always been able to calm them down after awhile despite some of their horrific histories. These two, Stryker the male and Piper, his mate.
Stryer is by far worse and is displaying the physical problems that are associated with chronic high stress, severe IBD and lower back problem's. This stress is not from the environment. My gliders live to around be 15 if toxin induced cancer doesn't take them.
It only recently dned on me that I was dealing with an attachment disorder, Developmental Trauma. The breeder I bought these 2 from separates them out, too young it would seem, into boy and girl groups then put them together and mails them air.
He's on IBD meds, that are not helping much, because I need to deal with his mental and nervous system problem. My previous vet and I were going to do some research in mental issues with exotics in captivity......but he died.
Has anyone dealt with severe stress disorders aquired in early Joeyhood? Or know of or has heard of someone who knows of someone who has dealt with this?
I know treatments for humans, but not for animals, and most would not even be doable.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Attachment disorder in sugar gliders. [Re: Anonymous] #1420181
04/23/19 07:25 PM
04/23/19 07:25 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I have not heard of this degree of behavior for such a long time with no response to bonding.

You said you could not remember your previous registration. Where were you located/state. Have you looked through the State Roll Call to see if you perhaps see a familiar registration? If it has been several years since you logged in, it is possible your registration was purged/deleted, however, we have not done that for a long time.

I am going to move this post to Help, I'm New, however, I cannot move it into the Glider Care Forums because you will not be able to reply or post further if I do.

Go ahead and register again, and then post under your new display name. That way I can move your post where it best suits.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Attachment disorder in sugar gliders. [Re: Anonymous] #1420214
04/28/19 12:54 PM
04/28/19 12:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm in phx Arizona. I'm the one who had around 17 due from biliary adeno carcinoma. Multiple 18 surgeries stainless steel cages now. Hate klubetanz.
I got them from a seller on Texas now, she was in Florida.
I've had them since youngsters. These glider are not stressed at my house, but that was not enough to treat the psychological Joey trauma they have experienced. The girl is not as bad, bit she is showing the similar symptoms in reactionary behavior. I've never seen it in a glider and probably put the pieces together onlt because of my studying in neurofeedback for devlopmemtal.
Are there any psychologist on here familiar with Neurofeedbackback, the use of programmable magnetic devices for example the MR7?

Re: Attachment disorder in sugar gliders. [Re: Anonymous] #1420263
05/02/19 07:17 AM
05/02/19 07:17 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am a pet sitter for many kinds of fur-babies. Gliders have a special place in my heart. I recently researched abandonment and bonding concerns to help with a rescued glider that appears to have PTSD. I came across an article by an animal rescue person, Fabienne Lannes-Gillibert. She shared her success with EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), and the creation of a protocol for applying Animal EMDR. Since a limbic brain is common to all mammals, She primarily works with dogs, ferrets and cats, but says EMDR has given permanent relief to the animals she works with, because "this approach represents a true natural healing process." Brain scans showed that fear was no longer present in animals that were given EMDR treatments. Perhaps reaching out to her for more information on Animal EMDR would be helpful.

Re: Attachment disorder in sugar gliders. [Re: Anonymous] #1420264
05/02/19 10:57 AM
05/02/19 10:57 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm in phx Arizona. I'm the one who had around 17 due from biliary adeno carcinoma. Multiple 18 surgeries stainless steel cages now. Hate klubetanz.
I got them from a seller on Texas now, she was in Florida.
I've had them since youngsters. These glider are not stressed at my house, but that was not enough to treat the psychological Joey trauma they have experienced. The girl is not as bad, bit she is showing the similar symptoms in reactionary behavior. I've never seen it in a glider and probably put the pieces together onlt because of my studying in neurofeedback for devlopmemtal.
Are there any psychologist on here familiar with Neurofeedbackback, the use of programmable magnetic devices for example the MR7?

Do you by any chance remember your e-mail address from before? Where you in Phoenix when you were here before? Anything that might help me find your previous registration if it is still here.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024