Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Possible Cancer/Pneumonia #1418539
12/04/18 09:27 AM
12/04/18 09:27 AM
Syracuse, NY
Jem Offline OP
Out of Pouch
Jem  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Syracuse, NY
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any input you all may be able to give.

Shui, one of my two females (11 years old) started to show signs of illness on Thursday last week. At feeding time I noticed she wasn't leaving the pouch so I took her out and checked her over, she physically seemed okay (minus remnants of a small patch on her head that she's previously clawed at from a prior ear infection). She ran around just fine and then hopped back into the cage so I didn't think anything of it, probably just sleeping in late.

Friday night after my dinner I went to feed and check on her and she was again in the pouch and wasn't moving. I took her out and she was having a very hard time breathing. Large deep consecutive breathes, like she wasn't getting enough air. I panicked and laid in bed with her all night thinking she was doomed. It looked like she hadn't eaten or drank in days. First thing in the morning I got a vet appointment. vet went over everything and said their biggest worry is her breathing and that it may be a infection in her lungs. We did X-rays that day and at first glance it looked like fluid in her lungs and/or possible cancer with mineral buildups near her kidneys. She went over various options and said they'd have the radiology tech review it on Monday and call me back.I got baytril and returned home.

I attempted to syringe feed her HPW complete but other than occasional licks off the syringe it was a no go. I tried small amounts of soft solid foods like egg, chicken, corn (her favorite), yogie pieces, notta. I was able to continuous syringe feed her water so she had two large syringes of that and I try to give her water whenever I can. She has signs that she's peeing but as for fecal I only see very small brown spots matted into her fur with a few tiny spots that have landed on me. I'm honestly not sure where the fecal is coming from.

As for the baytril, she hasn't taken anything more than maybe one or two licks over the last 2 days. I've tried to trick her by mixing it into HPW or water but once she gets wiff of the meds she's like peace out. Her hands lock up like she doesnt have the ability to really control her muscles and last night she started to spread her arms out and kinda fall sideways, almost like vertigo or like she was having a seizure or something. I've legit been panicking and I'm not sure what else I can do.

The radiologist remarks state that its possible lymph node cancer and there's a fluid build up in and around her lungs. The vet said the next step would be a referral to Cornell to have them do ultrasounds and monitor her. She advised to keep trying to give her the meds because if she makes a turn around we can do another x-ray in a few weeks and see how she looks then. Honestly I'm already afraid i'll come home from work and she'll be dead today.

I'm going to stop and buy a small thing of baby applesauce as someone recommended that and see if maybe I can get her to lick that up. Any advice for trying to get the meds in her? I tried to give her some metacam to try to knock her out a bit and maybe trick her into taking the baytril, but that didnt work either. I'm at a loss of what else to try.

As for her sister, Feng, what do I do if Shui passes? Do I show her the body and let her know whats going on? I don't want to think about it but I need to be prepared because i've been a wreck since Friday. I checked on her this morning when getting ready for work and she's resting on a blanket on the bottom of the cage with her tail over her face.

I can't really talk while at work. I'll try to check on the forum throughout the day.

Last edited by KarenE; 07/27/22 09:23 AM.

:grey: Feng & Shui :grey:
Joshua - Father of Two
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418540
12/04/18 09:58 AM
12/04/18 09:58 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I am so very sorry Shui is so sick, and you are obviously so very worried about her. Eleven is what we call a senior glider, and you are very lucky to have Shui and her sister for so long. But that doesn't matter when something like this happens.

You are doing everything right at this point. There is no way to know just how long Shui has actually been sick, and it is just now you have been able to see her symptoms.

If she were mine at eleven years old, I would ask my vet to be honest with me about putting her through any invasive testing. Ultrasound and monitoring are not invasive, however, they could be very stressful for her. Her quality of life with her sister Feng and you is very important.

You have asked a very important question about letting her sister see the body when the time comes, and I personally along with others will say 'yes', if Shui is in a condition you feel it is appropriate. They have been together for a very long time, and Feng will definitely look for her if they are not together when Shui passes. Feng will also mourn her sister after she is gone. For how long it is hard to tell. You will just have to look to her for that answer.

We will be here for you with any thing you need. Sending prayers and good thoughts to both you and Shui hug2

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418541
12/04/18 10:00 AM
12/04/18 10:00 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I'm sorry Shui is having so much difficulty breathing.

Did the vet give any sub-q fluids? Have you tried the "tent test" ? My concern is dehydration. Do you have any Pedialyte if she is in fact dehydrated?

Mine are much younger and really fight me when it comes to taking meds. But they get them anyway.

If she does pass, it is a good idea to let Feng say goodbye.

I will contact Feather who has a lot of experience with this and hopefully she can give you more insight.

Prayers to you and to Shui.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418545
12/04/18 10:26 AM
12/04/18 10:26 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am very sorry, she has most likely concealed her illness as long as she could. You need to carefully force her antibiotics on her. Aim for the side of her mouth so she doesn't aspirate it.

If she passes let her buddy see her so she knows that she is gone.

I consider 11 to be geriatric, like someone in their 90's. You need to consider her quality of life. I t is a very hard decision to make and you will be the one to make it.

I wish I had more to tell you, but her age is her biggest hurdle in beating this illness.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418591
12/05/18 04:01 PM
12/05/18 04:01 PM
Syracuse, NY
Jem Offline OP
Out of Pouch
Jem  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Syracuse, NY
Update.

I tried last night to switch out the water for pedialyte. It worked for a few sips but eventually she was over it. She seems to try something once or twice then after that she's declared it no good and wont touch it again. The same went for baby food applesauce in two different flavors. I did notice she tried to chew on my finger so I covered my finger in baytril and then kind of annoyed her again so she'd bite me. It worked and she did end up licking up some of the meds.

Overall her activity is still very low with consistently heavy breathing. She seems to have no issue sleeping in my hood or my hands or on my chest for hours and then peeking up facing the TV and what not. I rested her last night on the bottom of the cage with covered blankets next to the food dish. This morning she was sleeping on top of one of the pouches. The room is kept at 75-80F. I'll be home in an hour or so to check on her again.

Is it selfish of me to keep trying to see if she gets better? I feel like maybe if she just gets through this she'll be okay and I need to just keep trying to get her to eat and drink. I'm having a hard time finding the point in which euthanasia is the best option.

:grey: Feng & Shui :grey:
Joshua - Father of Two
Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418594
12/05/18 07:35 PM
12/05/18 07:35 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You should have that discussion with your vet. I have made that decision numerous time. I had my 4 year old glider, Tucker, euthanized it wasn't something I took lightly.

We had removed a sarcoma from his chest and those are known to spread fast and it came back in his jaw and through his ear canal. He was slowly loosing weight. My most expensive glider that was a gift from someone who is greatly missed on this forum, KarIn.

He went everywhere with me. He gave me one joey, wish I had more. TJ is still here and he has joeys and grandjoeys.

I made the decision to help him over the bridge out of love for him. I had a toy making party so friends could say good bye to him and that Tuesday I helped him cross the bridge. To me it was like losing a child. We don't talk about him often because it is very painful. It doesn't help that Facebook like to bring up memories all the time.

Talk you your vet and look in your heart, you will make the right decision.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Possible Cancer/Pneumonia [Re: Jem] #1418596
12/05/18 08:06 PM
12/05/18 08:06 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Kim/Feather is correct you should have a discussion with your vet about her quality of life at this point.

No, it isn't selfish of you to want to keep trying to get her better. Most all of us have been where you are now with at least one of our gliders even if we haven't had to make the decision to let them go. When we have senior gliders, it is always so hard to let them go regardless of the circumstances.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 322 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024