Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prospective new owner questions #1417549
09/13/18 09:07 PM
09/13/18 09:07 PM
GA
F
FuzzHead Offline OP
FuzzHead  Offline OP
F

GA
Hello everyone at GC!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day, afternoon, evening or night wherever you are in the world. I give greetings from the United States! smile

Okay, I have many, many questions but to start off here's some background story..

The first time we've been exposed to sugar gliders were at a mall about 16 years ago from a company known as Pocket Pets. My dad and I had been enchanted by them but we ultimately did not buy them because we felt that we didn't know much about them and also we were at a time in our lives where it would have been difficult for our family to properly take care of them.

Fast forward to now, my dad had been wanting them still and had mentioned several times throughout the years about one day having them. My Petsmart chinchilla of 15 years had passed a year back and completely broken my heart and I have sworn off pets for a bit so I was more than hesitant about his idea. I've researched on and off throughout about Sugar Gliders for a long time now and it seems that Sugar Glider care is constantly evolving, people are even now still discovering many dos and don'ts of caring for them. I've read about the many different diets and the pros and cons of each and how people choose according to what is easier for them and / or best for their sugar gliders. We have an abundance of seasonal fruits and vegetables at our home and I'm juggling the idea that a HPW Critter Love or Priscilla's diet would work best for them and us. (just have to make sure not to feed them any veggies and fruits they CAN'T eat) My dad is semi-retired and my mom is now retired so they both have a lot of time to spend with them if we do get them. I have checked out Priscilla's babies at thepetglider.com and have my sights set on one and with my dad not sure which one he wants yet out of the ones he liked.

Initially, I had thought it was better to wait til mid October so my dad and I could check out S & S Exotics and Sugar Gliders R US at the upcoming Repticon in ATL but after hearing that they were a pet mill, have decided against it. I have considered rescues also but am unsure about it as I don't want my dad too discouraged when in all aspects we would get probably have them attacking and crabbing at us all the time. I expect a good amount of crabbing and bites even from hand tamed babies that are not rescues but I'm more used to it unlike my dad who felt very sad and rejected because my chinchilla hated him so much she used to spray urine on him all the time. (my chinchilla liked or tolerated the ladies but however attacked guys probably bc she felt threatened)

Sorry for the rambling.

TD;LR

I don't know. On paper, it seems that everything should work out without a hitch but I guess I'm afraid of the unknown. I'm afraid that after a lot of emotional and financial investment it might not work out. I would like to hear everyone's stories and experiences about how it did or didn't work out with suggies (or babies who ultimately had to be rehomed and why). Also, what advice can you give to a newbie like me? Is there a certain time frame that are better in adopting babies so they don't get torn from an emotional bond they may have with breeder and or staff? There's going to be a learning curve because I know that chinchillas are generally more low maintenance compared to gliders.

Thanks in advance and for taking the time to read the wall of text! lol

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Prospective new owner questions [Re: FuzzHead] #1417550
09/14/18 07:52 AM
09/14/18 07:52 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hello! And :welcomegc: wave

My story started 4 years and 9 days ago...

Hubby and I travel with our work and are empty nesters.We have 6 children between us and 14 grandchildren. Each of which have spent time with our gliders.

Our first was Fiona, we got her at a fair in Texas. It was impulse sort of. Hubby threatened more than once to catch chipmunks and keep as pets. I decided after watching and handling the well behaved 13 year old demo glider this would be a good fit no matter what kind of care they needed... I wanted two but the guy said they didn't need a friend. So we got her, a cage, some sample food, and off we went. Fiona was so tiny and stressed.and we knew nothing, but learned quickly. We started trusting each other after about 2 weeks. But not really bonding. I found Glider Central and started reading... They are a lot to take care of compared to other small pets and once bonded, do require attention. bonding really started fter her first vet visit 2 weeks later.

About 30 days after we got her, I found Dot on Craigslist. She was about 12wks oop. After a 30 day quarantine, they were best friends from the start. But she hated us... She trusted us in about 6 months, but bonding only came after 9 months.

Now we have a new little guy... Stewie. He's a pistol... I got him from Feather. He's very smart, loves to run and jump. It took a bit for the girls to get used to him, but not he's just part of the colony. Like a bothersome little brother with too much energy...

We fell in love first sight of sugar gliders. They do require time and attention, but patience more than anything. They so come around eventually. Some faster than others. They are unique individuals too.

I would buy from a reputable dealer after our three experiences though. Good temperament is definitely a plus.

Stewie had a rough start with us, but wants so bad to get to know us better, but he just can't calm down enough yet.

This is his story:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/..._is#Post1416586

We are working nights, sleeping days, I'm getting tired, so I will try to post more later.

So glad you're here!!!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Prospective new owner questions [Re: FuzzHead] #1417553
09/14/18 05:42 PM
09/14/18 05:42 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

I see you are in Georgia, that being said Georgia's laws on sugar gliders is that you have to get them from someone who is licensed with the USDA. So The Pet Glider is a good choice for you.

As far as diet goes, IMHO Critterlove is the best diet out there.

Feel free to post your questions in the appropriate subforums and we look forward to pictures when you get them.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Prospective new owner questions [Re: Feather] #1417556
09/15/18 11:56 AM
09/15/18 11:56 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
:welcome:

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Prospective new owner questions [Re: FuzzHead] #1417572
09/18/18 01:28 PM
09/18/18 01:28 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline
Joey Member

Minnesota
Welcome!! I'm glad you are here and have put so much thought into getting them BEFORE hand. I look forward to reading your adventures!

As for a time of year or time frame to buy, I don't believe so as each one is so different. Just don't rush into a purchase wink Choose them carefully, and if possible, choose based on temperament and personality rather than looks IMO.

Becca

:grey: :plat:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024