Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions #1401217
04/17/16 11:24 PM
04/17/16 11:24 PM
Kentucky
S
Sandra0924 Offline OP
Sandra0924  Offline OP
S

Kentucky
Hello everyone. Sandra here. I consider myself very new to sugar gliders. I adopted my first pair in Aug 2015 with no research or info about gliders at a convention from a company named Pocket Pets. Since that time, I've read every week as much as I can on websites and have found it difficult to determine what is accurate and what is not. I've searched for other sugar glider owners in my area - the Louisville, Ky area - but found no one to help guide me. I recently read on this site some info about Pocket Pets that I was not aware of. I adopted my sugar gliders from Pocket Pets and have followed their pellet diet, glider gravy, glider treats, and vitamin supplement. My gliders seem to love it and seem alert and healthy. I do not give them bugs or worms. I give them fruits and veggies and hard boiled eggs, yogurt bites, and spring water. 1) I'm wondering if this is an acceptable diet. 2) I'm wondering about the credibility of the ASGV. 3) I have the Pocket Pets starter cage, heat rock, and wheel and planned to buy the I-home cage which connects to the starter cage. I'm wondering if those are okay. 4) I'm wondering if I should be handling the gliders all throughout the day waking them up a lot or should I let them sleep and start handling them later in the evening when they are closer to the time of waking up. 5) My gliders do seem to be taking a lot longer to bond with me. I handle them hours a day every day for the last 8 months and they still bite me if I try to pick them up. They won't sit with me. They will run off. They will run from me but have started letting me pet them a little and have come to me after I try several times to retrieve them and extend my hand palm down. They will crawl on me then I have to quickly grab them which results in them crabbing and biting me until I can get them back in the bonding pouch or cage. They will crab but will stop once they know it's me that has opened the bonding pouch. They will let me pet them in the bonding pouch and will jump on me in the tent but there's no way they will lay on me. They will run off and go somewhere else in the room to go to sleep. Is this normal after 8 months? Thanks so very much for your advice as I love all animals. I feel it's my duty to provide the best care and love to all that I bring into my home as I would my own human child so all advice is appreciated and welcomed.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1401219
04/17/16 11:50 PM
04/17/16 11:50 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Sandra0924
Hello everyone. Sandra here. I consider myself very new to sugar gliders. I adopted my first pair in Aug 2015 with no research or info about gliders at a convention from a company named Pocket Pets. Since that time, I've read every week as much as I can on websites and have found it difficult to determine what is accurate and what is not. I've searched for other sugar glider owners in my area - the Louisville, Ky area - but found no one to help guide me. I recently read on this site some info about Pocket Pets that I was not aware of. I have followed their pellet diet, glider gravy, glider treats, and vitamin supplement. My gliders seem to love it and seem alert and healthy. I do not give them bugs or worms. I give them fruits and veggies and hard boiled eggs, yogurt bites, and spring water. 1) I'm wondering if this is an acceptable diet.

I would cut out the extra protein, your gliders should be getting enough protein with their kibble and Glider Gravy. Just so you know Glider Gravy is the same product as Critterlove Complete, to save money I would purchase the Complete from Critterlove.com and get the Happy Glider Pellets that she carries on her site also.

Continue with the fruits and vegetables, in fact you will find several "salad" recipes on the Critterlove site. They are fruit and vegetable mixtures that you can mix up and freeze, feeding two tables spoons of the salad mixture with your Complete, put the kibble in a dish on the side and feed it dry. I keep dry kibble in the cage for those that will nibble on it.

2) I'm wondering about the credibility of the ASGV.

the ASGV is getting better as there are more vets contributing to it now. I go by info on the forums first.

3) I have the Pocket Pets starter cage, heat rock, and wheel and planned to buy the I-home cage which connects to the starter cage. I'm wondering if those are okay.

Take out the heat rock, your glider doesn't need it. I personally like the HQ Flight cages you can get from Petco. As far as the wheel goes there are safer, quieter wheels out there. A lot of people like the Fast Track wheels, Custom Cruier, Stealth and Rapter wheels. these wheels have a running track that is mesh so the poop and pee doesn't build up, they run on a bearing system so unless they are walking across the floor of the cage they are quiet.

4) I'm wondering if I should be handling the gliders all throughout the day waking them up a lot or should I let them sleep and start handling them later in the evening when they are closer to the time of waking up.

A lot of us carry our gliders in a zippered bonding pouch during the day when they want to sleep, they are up where they can hear your heart and smell you.

5) My gliders do seem to be taking a lot longer to bond with me. I handle them hours a day every day for the last 8 months and they still bite me if I try to pick them up. They won't sit with me. They will run off. They will run from me but have started letting me pet them a little and have come to me after I try several times to retrieve them and extend my hand palm down. They will crawl on me then I have to quickly grab them which results in them crabbing and biting me until I can get them back in the bonding pouch or cage. They will crab but will stop once they know it's me that has opened the bonding pouch. They will let me pet them in the bonding pouch and will jump on me in the tent but there's no way they will lay on me. They will run off and go somewhere else in the room to go to sleep. Is this normal after 8 months?

All gliders bond at their own pace, check out the two articles at the top of the forum on bonding. The one written by Bourbon is very good.

Thanks so very much for your advice as I love all animals. I feel it's my duty to provide the best care and love to all that I bring into my home as I would my own human child so all advice is appreciated and welcomed.

:welcomegc:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1401222
04/18/16 12:01 AM
04/18/16 12:01 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcomegc:

Please click on the blue words you see here and it will take to to those topics.

I've never read what PP recommends for bonding, cages, pouches, glider safe wheels, or their diet.

First thing I would recommend is toss the heat rock. With having a pair, they keep each other comfy and warm.

Are you using hanging pouches? I would recommend getting some fleece and cutting it up into 4" squares and tossing the in your laundry hamper, under your bed pillow, or wear them for the day in your clothes and then replace acouple of them in their sleeping pouch so they can have your scent.

They should only spend a few hours a day in a bonding pouch. Since they are nocturnal, they need good rest. My gliders probably sleep a total of 18 hours a day(or at least stay in their pouch). They get up at night, pee and poo, eat drink, play and nap.and repeat till 7am.

My kids are on the Critter Love diet. ( complete, just add water and follow their salads)

I have have this cage and love it:

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/glider-cages/12-sturdy-sugar-glider-cage.html

bonding is a slow process and sounds like there may be trust issues. They don't really care for being held during their awake time.

Do you feed them treats by hand?

Please keep of posted, we may need to break down your questions. There is a lot of territory to cover. In the meantime, keep browsing around and read as much as you can. What I learned by research here and asking a lot of questions, helped me be where we are today with our babies.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Ladymagyver] #1401225
04/18/16 09:56 AM
04/18/16 09:56 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
:welcome:

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Feather] #1401265
04/19/16 09:03 PM
04/19/16 09:03 PM
Kentucky
S
Sandra0924 Offline OP
Sandra0924  Offline OP
S

Kentucky
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I should have replied sooner as I check the forum daily. I have been following up on the info you suggested. I have ready MULTIPLE articles and posts and as I said, the info is certainly extensive and overwhelming. I think I finally found a great source though for good info and networking with people who care about animals as much as I do.

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1401269
04/19/16 09:21 PM
04/19/16 09:21 PM
Kentucky
S
Sandra0924 Offline OP
Sandra0924  Offline OP
S

Kentucky
One other question. Would anyone mind reviewing the below website for Pocket Pets to tell me what you think about the starter cage and I-home cage along with the wheel as I have the starter cage and wheel and am thinking about buying the I-home cage. These cages are so different than everything else I have seen and I honestly do like them and think my sugar gliders like them too but again, I would appreciate the opinions of others with more experience.

Also, I use all the food - pellets, gravy, and vitamins that they offer plus fresh fruits and vegetables and wonder if you think these are healthy. My gliders like them and seem very healthy and alert.

I read the mill brokers info on this webpage just this past weekend and know that Pocket Pets do refer you to Glider Stork (which is listed on this site as a mill broker). I adopted my sugar gliders from Pocket Pets and a few months later, Pocket Pets sent me an email letting me know I could adopt more gliders from Glider Stork. I emailed Pocket Pets last week and they again referred me to Glider Stork. THEN, I read the info on this site regarding Glider Stork and their connection to Pocket Pets. The info I am seeking does not pertain to future adoptions, SOLELY to future purchases of their food line and cages.

Many thanks!

[non_supported_site] (Pocket Pets Website)

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1401277
04/20/16 09:58 AM
04/20/16 09:58 AM
United States
L
LSinc Offline
Joey Member
LSinc  Offline
Joey Member
L

United States
Sandra0924,
I also purchased my first Suggie from Pocket Pets. Long story short I got my second joey from Critterlove. I also stopped buying from Pocket Pets (PP). I get everything from Critterlove. Much less expensive. I also purchased a cage through them. I really like this cage as it is very big and the price point was right on with what I was looking to spend. If you have not been on the site it's critterlove.com It's the Super Roomy Glider Cage. I got it in white and with shipping paid $170.00. It comes with the stand. Again it is huge. I set it up with all kinds of stuff for them to play with plus their wheel and still have plenty of room.

Peggy (Critterlove) is very knowledgeable about Suggies. What I decided to do is choose someone who is knowledgeable and stick with just that person. There are other people on this forum who really know their stuff about Suggies but sometimes too much advice can make your head spin.

Good luck!!!

Leslie

The only thing I fear in life is living without love.
Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1401278
04/20/16 10:41 AM
04/20/16 10:41 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Sandra0924
Also, I use all the food - pellets, gravy, and vitamins that they offer plus fresh fruits and vegetables and wonder if you think these are healthy. My gliders like them and seem very healthy and alert.

To answer your question about what you are feeding being healthy, yes, it is. because the Glider Gravy is in fact Critterlove.

I agree with Leslie about working with an individual. Suggest using what you have and when you get close to running out contact Peggy through Critterlove or PM her here Srlb

Peggy is always glad to answer questions.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: LSinc] #1401352
04/23/16 07:46 AM
04/23/16 07:46 AM
Kentucky
S
Sandra0924 Offline OP
Sandra0924  Offline OP
S

Kentucky
Thanks so much for your guidance!

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Sandra0924] #1405102
11/07/16 12:36 AM
11/07/16 12:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We got our first glider from Pocket Pets as well and followed their care plan. We just got out second baby today (8wksoop) and she is not thrilled with our older glider so we had to get a separate cage. We had forgotten to buy a heating rock, does the baby need a heating rock?

Re: New Sugar Glider Mom with Several Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1405103
11/07/16 02:25 AM
11/07/16 02:25 AM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
We got our first glider from pocket pets as well and followed their care plan. We just got out second baby today (8wksoop) and she is not thrilled with our older glider so we had to get a separate cage. We had forgotten to buy a heating rock, does the baby need a heating rock?

Your question about heat rocks is answered above in this thread. No, they are not appropriate and relatively dangerous for sugar gliders. Heat rocks are no longer considered safe even among reptile owners and can cause overheating, burns and even expose your gliders to electrical elements.

There is plenty of bonding and introduction information on this forum. However, your gliders should be kept separate for a month-long period (quarantine) to make sure your new glider is healthy before introducing the two. This is fairly standard procedure for bringing any new animal into your house before introducing them to existing animals.

Please consider researching beyond the information you have received from Pocket Pets. Remember that your sugar gliders are wild animals and very exotic pets. They rely on you to provide proper care and gliders are not easy or simple animals to keep as pets.

Last, this is an old thread. Please consider making an account on the forum and making your own thread instead of taking over another person's (old) thread.

Pixel, Aurora & Gaia :leu: Link :rtmo:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024