Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Couple New Owner Questions #1383367
12/02/14 10:10 AM
12/02/14 10:10 AM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
ChatTAHOOchee  Offline OP
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
I have had Tahoo for a couple of months now (and yes I only have one glider), she has been let out of her cage at night and has been extremely energetic, jumping back and forth on command between me and my boyfriend and to the couch, running around the condo exploring for a good while. She has always like to explore the ins and outs of the couch including underneath it. That being said, twice now over the past couple weeks she has been doing her normal night time exploring and has starting barking from up under the couch. The first time I thought she was injured so my boyfriend quickly lifted up the couch to find her on the hard wood floor perfectly still just barking. The same thing happened this past weekend and when we picked up the couch and got her she went right back to play.

I know of the normal reasons they do this, but is just seems odd because she knows how to get out from under the couch and she knows that my boyfriend and I are sitting on the couch if she needs us because she always checks on us periodically during her excursions. Just seems like a randomly odd time to bark because she has only ever barked one other time in the 2 months we have had her...

Question two: Oddly enough, my sugar glider has been up most days the last two weeks when my boyfriend and/or I get home from work around 4:00PM. She is usually running around her wheel. We will typically open the cage and she hopes right on us with no hesitation. The surprising thing is she will immediately search for a place to curl up and will go right to sleep for hours!

Is it a comfort thing? Is she staying up to see us and then because she is comfortable passes out? She has never to this point had a problem sleeping most of the day in her cage, but like I said, the last couple of weeks she has been awake and as active as ever at 4:00 and then ready to pass out as soon as she gets on one of us.

Thoughts?

Don't ever worry TAHOO much about the small things. TAHOO much in life gets taken for granted. To be happy is TAHOO be yourself. Live, Laugh, Love, Glide.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383368
12/02/14 10:23 AM
12/02/14 10:23 AM
Dutchess County, NY
Biscuit Offline
Glider Guardian
Biscuit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dutchess County, NY
Barking:
"Sugar gliders will bark very much like a little puppy when they want attention. Gliders also bark for other reasons besides attention, they possibly use it to locate other gliders in the dark and some say its a form of storytelling."

Is Tahoo eating and drinking normally?

~ Laurie ~
Mother to

:wfb: Topanga, :grey: Biscuit, Toby, :leu: Thor & :plat: Akiah [Kiah]

www.lauriessugglettes.weebly.com

gangel My Lost Loves, Rascal, March 30, 2012, Bugaboo, Sept 7, 2012 & Momma, Feb 27, 2013

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: Biscuit] #1383369
12/02/14 10:34 AM
12/02/14 10:34 AM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
Yeah I have read the normal reasons for barking...The timing of this is just odd, especially when she never really does it at anything point.

Yes she is eating and drinking anything and everything she can get her hands on! Ha. Feed her every night and she gets her fair share of treats throughout the day.

Don't ever worry TAHOO much about the small things. TAHOO much in life gets taken for granted. To be happy is TAHOO be yourself. Live, Laugh, Love, Glide.
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383370
12/02/14 10:43 AM
12/02/14 10:43 AM
Dutchess County, NY
Biscuit Offline
Glider Guardian
Biscuit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dutchess County, NY
Hopefully someone will come along with an answer. My first thought is to get Tahoo a friend. Perhaps she is lonely? dunno But that doesn't explain why it's happening when it is.

~ Laurie ~
Mother to

:wfb: Topanga, :grey: Biscuit, Toby, :leu: Thor & :plat: Akiah [Kiah]

www.lauriessugglettes.weebly.com

gangel My Lost Loves, Rascal, March 30, 2012, Bugaboo, Sept 7, 2012 & Momma, Feb 27, 2013

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: Biscuit] #1383371
12/02/14 10:50 AM
12/02/14 10:50 AM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
Thank you for your thoughts...not overly concerned as she acts perfectly fine otherwise...just more curious than anything.

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383372
12/02/14 10:53 AM
12/02/14 10:53 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
My guess is that she's calling for other gliders. No matter how much time we are able to spend with them, it doesn't replace one of their own to snuggle up with. I think she's probably searching for a friend.

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383373
12/02/14 11:52 AM
12/02/14 11:52 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
What is the lighting situation while you are away during the daytime?

If the house is dark while you are out, her sense of the time of day may be thrown off. When you come home and turn on the lights she may be thinking "sunrise - bedtime for me".

Gliders need light on in their environment during normal daylight hours and darkness in the evenings after sundown to regulate their internal clock.

My gliders are on a sun porch with glass windows on 3 walls. They are sound asleep by full sunrise and they wake up about an hour after full sundown.

As for the barking - gliders bark because they can. It may or may not mean anything. There may be something as simple as a loose thread hanging down under the couch that she feels the need to bark at. She may also hear something she feels is out of place - perhaps just a spring creaking in the couch if you move.

My gliders bark at things they hear outside. They always let me know when the sprinklers come on out side. Sometimes they (and my little dogs) bark when motorcycles zoom by on the road behind my house in the middle of the night - then I end up with gliders barking and the dogs barking back until I can get the dogs quiet. The gliders also let me know when my son's alarm clock goes off on the other side of the house (he leaves for work at variable times between 4 and 6 am). They are always listening and alert each other when a new sound happens at night.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: CandyOtte] #1383417
12/02/14 05:00 PM
12/02/14 05:00 PM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
I have her in the big walk through closet in the condo. It is defiantly darker than the rest of the place, even though light does slip through and obviously much brighter throughout the rest of the place...so that could be the issue for sure when she gets out of her cage and sees the sunlight.

I appreciate your response!

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: yiyo] #1383420
12/02/14 05:07 PM
12/02/14 05:07 PM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
Originally Posted By: yiyo
My guess is that she's calling for other gliders. No matter how much time we are able to spend with them, it doesn't replace one of their own to snuggle up with. I think she's probably searching for a friend.

Would definitely get a second one, but she is already messier than anticipated based on the research we did on sugar gliders and with limited space in the condo, we worry about the thought of twice the poop, pee, and tossed food... ohwell Like I said she seems pretty content and gets a ton of attention from us...we will see how things go.

Thanks for your input!

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383431
12/02/14 07:12 PM
12/02/14 07:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You may want to utilize cage covers. I have my cages covered on three sides to reduce the mess. I have also put small carpets under the cage to protect the carpet in the apartment.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: Feather] #1383452
12/02/14 08:50 PM
12/02/14 08:50 PM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
Originally Posted By: Feather
You may want to utilize cage covers. I have my cages covered on three sides to reduce the mess. I have also put small carpets under the cage to protect the carpet in the apartment.

She has a sheet on the top and sides. Still manages to get food and poop outside of the cage.

Biggest issue has been the pee smell. The levels and cage don't absorb anything and even with weekly wipe downs the smell is pretty strong in there. Read where you need to clean parts of the cage at a time and never the entire cage at one time to keep the glider from combating the clean cage by overcompensating with excessive marking. We are also going to get some Clean+Green Odor Neutralizer and try that.

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383462
12/02/14 09:13 PM
12/02/14 09:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I have 3 intact males in the house right now, with mates, and the smell isn't overwhelming.

What diet do you have them on. If they are getting too much protein their urine will smell stronger.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: Feather] #1383464
12/02/14 09:31 PM
12/02/14 09:31 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Cage covers help protect the walls, a lot of mess can still end up on floor. For carpet keep a hand hold vacuum handy for quick pick ups, hard floors you have option for broom/foxtail style and dust pan, thus helps.

For drop pan, I recommend keeping bare and clean out daily, this will help reduce odors.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: Feather] #1383471
12/02/14 10:31 PM
12/02/14 10:31 PM
Atlanta, Ga
ChatTAHOOchee Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch

Atlanta, Ga
Originally Posted By: Feather
I have 3 intact males in the house right now, with mates, and the smell isn't overwhelming.

What diet do you have them on. If they are getting too much protein their urine will smell stronger.

I know pellets are a debatable choice, but we bought...
VitaSmart Complete

She gets a combo of that and a decent variety of fruits and vegetables each night (usually the equivalent of little more than an eighth of an apple). Usually a small amount of chicken once a week or so.

Thoughts? Maybe less pellets more fruits and veggies?

Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1383475
12/03/14 12:22 AM
12/03/14 12:22 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
The pellets will not meet your glider's nutritional needs long term. Their digestive system is just not designed to process and fully absorb the highly processed dry food. Sugar Gliders digestive system includes a hind gut where food is partially fermented before passing on to the intestine.

There are many nectar like staples that will provide your glider with a well balanced feeding when fed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.

I have links on my web page to several widely used glider feeding plans that have maintained healthy gliders for many years. My own GliderKids Feeding Plan is one of the options you might want to consider.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: A Couple New Owner Questions [Re: ChatTAHOOchee] #1386435
02/05/15 02:21 PM
02/05/15 02:21 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
chatahoo...
you do need to get your glider on a good staple diet. the pellets are used for a daytime snack only. there is a diet section on this forum, with many different diets to choose from. they need a good staple along with vegs. and fruits.
bml is a very popular staple diet and ohpw.

until you decide on what staple you choose, feed some boiled chicken or scrambled eggs (no spices) with their vegs. and fruits. use the pellets for a day time snack or get a better pellet than you are using.

gliders need a good protein source (which you are not providing) vitamins/minerals, which a good staple provides along with the vegs./fruits on the side.

also, it doesnt matter how much time you play and socialize with your lone glider, they do need their own kind.

there are studies out that prove gliders do get depressed when kept alone. i hope you do right by your baby.

as far as any mess, get a glider kitchen and put their food in there.

i do hope you take some of these suggestions, you will see a change in the smell and a much happier glider.

good luck.

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 368 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,576 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,161 UTAH
321,685 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024