Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195514
11/23/11 12:57 PM
11/23/11 12:57 PM
Vermont, USA
Taryn Offline
Glider Explorer
Taryn  Offline
Glider Explorer

Vermont, USA
I am sorry if you got that impression because I sincerely don't think anyone is trying to insult you at all. I know I wasn't!
In fact I had said I didn't think it would be an issue as long as your dad wanted them as much as you do.

When I was 15 I got a cat. And when I was 18 I lived in the college dorms until graduation, coming home for vacations and the random weekend of course. And my cat still loved me and I him.

But ultimately when I was done with school and got my own apartment, he ended up living with my mom for the rest of his life. It was his home at that point and she loved him so much and he loved her too and I couldn't separate them. But without her full approval of my mom and her willingness to help take care of him I could have never really gotten him responsibly.

So all I was saying was to make sure your dad is as knowledgable about suggies as you are, because, at least for a little while, they will be his pets too! :-)

Beloved boyfriend: Dan cloud9
Chihuahuas: Halle (6) and Heidi (1)
Am. Staff. Terrier: Chanel (6)
Cichlids: Biggz, Walter, Doodles, Waffle, Monster, Domino
...and 2 baby SUGGIES! heart :wfb: Luxe & Vuitton :grey: (Adopted 12/29/11)
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195531
11/23/11 01:55 PM
11/23/11 01:55 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Ok! Thanks for sharing!

I value your opinion very much! smile

Last edited by MissB; 11/23/11 01:57 PM.

Looking forward to being owned by gliders.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195532
11/23/11 01:58 PM
11/23/11 01:58 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I'm sure that I will have my dad trained. He did read the guide that I wrote. smile

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195534
11/23/11 02:01 PM
11/23/11 02:01 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Oh, Tracy, I didn't see your post! Sorry! frown

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that 'test' either. Maybe it's because she knows that I'm only 15.

Yes, my dad will have to sign off on the contract. I can't even drive yet. smile

I trust my breeder. People have referenced her to me, and she seems really nice.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195537
11/23/11 02:14 PM
11/23/11 02:14 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: MissB
Oh, Tracy, I didn't see your post! Sorry! frown

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that 'test' either. Maybe it's because she knows that I'm only 15.

Yes, my dad will have to sign off on the contract. I can't even drive yet. smile

I trust my breeder. People have referenced her to me, and she seems really nice.

I have talked via text to both her and Keith. I have never bought joeys from them nor have I sold to them. I hope all goes well for you. I have to say, I do not do a 'test email' even to younger prospective glider owners. I talk to them and to their parents and give them proper info. It seemed curious, that's all.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195615
11/23/11 07:56 PM
11/23/11 07:56 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Oh, ok. Should I consider a different breeder then?

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195630
11/23/11 08:29 PM
11/23/11 08:29 PM

B
birdi
Unregistered
birdi
Unregistered
B

Dorms can be scary for the little guys :/ I was called down to a major college in a different city to pick up a Sugar Glider baby that had been confiscated from a fraternity, not only did they have the Glider in the frat (which was not allowed), Gliders are illegal in that city. No one admitted to being his owner, he was alone and very scared.

Because I have Sugar Gliders I always have to think about their safety and health first. I did not go to a major college because I could not take them with me. Which changed my entire plan for my life, but I am perfectly happy with that. Personally, I did not feel comfortable with leaving them in someones elses care and not being able to spend time with them, I didn't want to risk losing their trust and bonding. Right now, I am unable to move out with my boyfriend because I could not afford paying for living and paying for my babies needs at this time, so I am stuck living with my parents.
Again, I have no issues with this, they are my life and I am willing to give these things up for them. But I suggest you think reallllly hard about it before you make a final decision. They will change your life. It can be really hard watching your friends go have fun in their dorms and such, and not be able to enjoy it with them because you're tied down, it's not for everyone. It really is like being a full time parent.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195634
11/23/11 08:52 PM
11/23/11 08:52 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I am going to continue to research my options and whatnot.

I value your opinion and advice, Birdi. smile

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: DCMuffin] #1195641
11/23/11 09:10 PM
11/23/11 09:10 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
[quote=MissB]I realise how "irresponsible" and hypocritic I'm being... I have spent time with my breeder, located in Federal Way, I have held babies, adults, etc.

I have ferrets guys... I don't care if they break the skin. I can take a few bites. The crabbing doesn't scare me whatsoever. I have a tent, I will be hanging fleece vines and jungle gyms from my ceiling.

Yes, they will be well-taken care of.

My dad is willing to feed, throw in a bonding pouch, clean, let them run around in a tent when I'm gone.

I trust him, but will my gliders be angry when I leave and resent me when I return? I live 6 hours away. I will visit during the holidays, and the odd weekend. Plus, my parents will come up. I can ask them to bring them then.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is--if I manage to make a strong bond with a couple of gliders, will they remember, resent, be depressed upon my arrival?

I guess all I'm asking, is that if I create strong bonds with a couple of gliders, will they be depressed when

I'm sorry you are NOT going to get an OK go ahead everything will be great. Please do NOT take the glider to a college dorm.

You are probably wondering why I'm the only one saying NO! Well, I'll tell you. Not to long ago I had a mother call me to ask if I would take her sons gliders for her. He had come home for Christmas break from college and left them. She didn't like them and said they didn't like her. So, I was like sure bring them on over.

I was expecting 3 girls but, they were 3 Non-neutered boys. Their bald spots were so big due to their nervous problem. They were pulling their fur out. They were skinny, smelly, scared, crabby and very nervous little boys in a Crown Royal Bag.

When I put them in their new cage they huddled in the top far right corner. I'm sure they felt that was as far as they could get away. They stayed there for hours and they couldn't figure out the nice pouch was for them.

I know you say you don't mind getting bitten. That's fine. It's not you I'm worried about. It's all the other kids that come in the room. Walk up to the cage and mess with the babies. These boys were tormented. I was so happy when their fur started to grow back. heart

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195650
11/23/11 09:39 PM
11/23/11 09:39 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Oh, ok. Should I consider a different breeder then?

No, not necessarily. I've never heard anything bad about their joeys. I haven't talked to anyone who owns them personally. I have seen their website and several of their gliders listed for sale on craigslist.

You just need to do your own research, like coming here and make good solid decisions with your dad. Make sure you figure out diet, cage, pouches, vet FUND!!!!! etc. You have a lot ahead of you if you, indeed decide on glider ownership right now. agree

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195657
11/23/11 09:57 PM
11/23/11 09:57 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Johanna, I wasn't planning on taking them to the dorms. Trust me, I said this many a time. smile

But that sounds AWFUL! frown I don't see how those poor gliders could be put in a situation like that! >:(

-----------------------------------------------------

Tjlong, I have quite a while before I'm ready to decide. I've only done 3 months of research. I NEED a few more. wink

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195659
11/23/11 10:00 PM
11/23/11 10:00 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington

Tjlong, I have quite a while before I'm ready to decide. I've only done 3 months of research. I NEED a few more. wink

:gidea: agree

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195735
11/24/11 01:31 AM
11/24/11 01:31 AM

K
Kaylee
Unregistered
Kaylee
Unregistered
K

MissB how many times have you said that you weren't planning on taking them to the dorm? I'm sorry that fact seems to have been skipped over.

All I have to as is will you be able to visit the suggies daily at your parents house and how are your parents with the knowledge they'll need to take care of the suggies while you're at college? I'd be more interested to know if your parents are read for the responsibility, since they will be the one's taking care of them instead of you for a few months. I also see the fact that you will have had them for a few years before going to college, is that right?

Last edited by Kaylee; 11/24/11 01:34 AM.
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195776
11/24/11 03:32 AM
11/24/11 03:32 AM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Heehee, I was beggining to wonder if anyone was reading the posts...

Yes, I will have had them for almost five years. By then, my parents will know everything there is about gliders. I plan to have my suggies fully bonded to me, my father, and my special brother.

I'm afraid that I will not be able to visit them each day... This is why I plan on allowing them to have a strong bond with my dad so that they won't be too upset during my absence.

Another option is this:

I have be speaking with the professors from WSU(one is a close family friend, therefore, I have connections) and they have told me not to worry. A few of their technicians(who live in their own apartment) are looking to try sugar gliders. They have said that if I allowed on of the technicians to house them, I could visit them each day and make sure that they are cared for properly.

Although I'm having a tough time trusting another person with my gliders.

What do you think, Kaylee?

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195803
11/24/11 08:21 AM
11/24/11 08:21 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I'm not saying yes, I'm saying no. You and your family do your research and decide from there.
But...

I'm 24. At 15, I had grand plans like you. But things happen. Good and bad. Even with protection I got pregnant with my son at 17 and had him at 18. My choice was to be his mother for the entirety of his life. (And yes, I do torture him with my singing and insisting he at least try his vegetables. I'm a mean mom like that. grin )

I tried so hard to juggle having a newborn and going to college for my degree but let me tell you... some degrees tend to have more females than males and MAN... Can females be catty! I went home crying more days than not.

I ended up leaving college. FF and 3 years later I got my gliders. I researched, I heard the stories, but dangit I was deadset on it, just like you. My financial situation, even as a single mother, was pretty darn good. But after a fall I was out of work for a while, and then unexpectedly had to move cross country.

I have been struggling off and on for the last 2 years now and right now I've hit the hardest position of my life where I don't know how to put gas in the car to take my son to school or his appointments. My gliders are my (furry) best friends and I simply cannot fathom rehoming them for any amount of money.

I'm getting ready to go back to school in just one month, and the spare time will dwindle to nearly nothing. I will do my best to spend time with my gliders, but I know that things are going to be rough.

I will never regret my son, so let me get that out there. But I do regret getting my gliders. I won't rehome them. I love them and they love me. But I truly wish that I had my degree, lived in my own home, etc BEFORE getting the gliders.

My point is that
#1. Things in life happen that you cannot foresee. Gliders can get really expensive. Check out the Emergency Forum, Health and Hygiene, and Real Stories. At the drop of a hat an emergency has occurred and drained the pockets of MARRIED COUPLES, who have the income of two people.

Even my mother, who might as well own a farm, doesn't understand just how pricey gliders can become at the last moment.

Beyond that, do you think at 15 I would have thought I'd be a SINGLE mom? A TEEN mom? I'm not saying it will happen to you. But it could. Then what? Would it be fair to HAVE to rehome your gliders because your dreams didn't pan out as planned?

#2 I really wish I had my degree BEFORE any of this. But cest la vie. Now I'm struggling with both major financial responsibilities and at 24 FINALLY going back to school.

MissB: You can't miss what/who you don't know. I'd HIGHLY recommend, because I've been living it for nearly 6 years thus knowing based on personal experience, that doing things in the right order, and that includes holding off on the expensive animals, is the best gift you can give yourself and those future gliders. Gliders are not going to go extinct in the next 10 years. I'm sure of it. Focus on you right now.

I know.... You 'can't help yourself'. But one of THE most IMPORTANT and MATURE things you could do at your age is to admit it's best to wait, and then wait.

Ok.. I'm done with my novel and will get off my soapbox now.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195852
11/24/11 12:54 PM
11/24/11 12:54 PM

K
Kaylee
Unregistered
Kaylee
Unregistered
K

Soo... Really every one here is saying wait till after your out of college a good 9 years maybe depending on your degree(you said 5 for college and then just guessing 4 more since you said you wanted to be a vet right?) from now? Am I right?
And Did any one answer the main question you had or has every one just jumped on the bandwagon of "Your a kid your not grown you dont know what you want or what will happen in the future" ? If I was in your shoes this whole thing would have turned me off of sugar gliders at all. Or life really. I guess we'll never be ready for life so why live it? (i apologize i am also mildly up set that we cant be home for Thanksgiving) I just got married, moved 800 miles away from my family, and got a sugar glider. I dont have a job, I dont have kids, and I'm trying to get back in school, and looking for a companion for Tatl who I've only had 3 months now. SO I supposed I cant really say the same things as every one else. I dont have the experience the others do. But if your parents are willing to help out, or the school is willing to work with you, and it looks like they are since you said a tech might be able to house them then I'd say it looks like your doing your home work. If you can afford the emergencies, as well as standard care, I might be missing the main point every one's making as to why you shouldn't get your gliders.
Like I said I could be WAYYYY OFFF on what every one else is trying to say, and I dont mean too offend any one.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195869
11/24/11 01:35 PM
11/24/11 01:35 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Oh, Meg...I hear you. My brother has Smith Magenis Syndrome. I would love it if you researched it. Many people don't know about it...

My parents were divorced when I was just 6 years old. My father is a policeman, so when he had to work, he HAD to work. A lot of the time, he was randomly called out, and couldn't get a sitter. Therefore, I basically grew up taking care of my brother. I never really have time to have "play dates" because when I was 7 up until I was about 12, my parents depended on me to grow up and be a good sister...

I don't regret having to care for my severely special needs brother, but I do wish that I had had a little more time for childhood. True, I still have a tinge of teen in me, but I can assure you that everyone I speak to asks me how old I am. wink

I understand the severity when it comes to life occurrences that simply cannot be controlled. I don't know about you, but I have parents and family all over the country that are willing to take me in whenever I need it. I am a responsible young lady(man, I sound sooo conceited) but my gut is telling me that I would be a good candidate for a suggie momma.

I can guarantee that I won't be having kids. I am monogamous, and not many kids my age can say that.

I can see your point... Things happen. Possibly I'm being naive... But I already have my life planned out. I can't see anything bad happening to me that I'm not ready for.

But really, thank you for sharing! smile I appreciate your opinion, and will take your advice to heart.

Last edited by MissB; 11/24/11 01:38 PM.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195871
11/24/11 01:40 PM
11/24/11 01:40 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Kaylee, I do, or I should say that my parents do, have the finances.

How often do emergencies occur?

Oh, and I appreciate your faith in me. Do I have your blessing to be a suggie momma?

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195905
11/24/11 03:31 PM
11/24/11 03:31 PM
Maryland, my Maryland.
E
EJB17 Offline
Glider Lover
EJB17  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Maryland, my Maryland.
I basically concur with what everyone else has said - its best to wait! If you want them so badly it will be even more exciting to get them in 5 years laugh and you will have all this time to save up money and do research.

Emily
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195931
11/24/11 04:47 PM
11/24/11 04:47 PM

K
Kaylee
Unregistered
Kaylee
Unregistered
K

In 5 years she will be in college an unable to get them. Unless I miss understood the posts. So there is no point in waiting 5 years. Might as well wait 10 to finish highschool AND college... Oh wait and then after that there's a job you should just wait till your retired. You won't have time with work to own a sugar glider...*end sarcastic rant*

Ughh... I'm sorry. But I know how hard life can be. Maybe my experiances have jaded me or what ever you want to call it. For me going from highschool to in the same week starting college, dating a guy with cancer, tutoring my high functioning autistic cousin, baby sitting, and taking care of my mother who had multiple heath problems wasn't a problem for me, also had to help run a farm and help with my little sister schooling since we where home schooled and dad works night shift. At the time I was also managing my own bills and paying off a $900 vet bill for a dog we where able to save from parvo. I suppose I shouldn't judge what other people can do by my experiances. But MissB I will say there are some things we can't plan for. Tho you seem to have a good head on you shoulders.

In my opinion I say talk to your parents, and if its final about the college you want to go to talk to them. Let it be a family decsion since they have to be that involved when your gone. And if you do get them you family might like to keep them with them while your in college any ways if they get attatched to the little fuzz butts.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195935
11/24/11 04:51 PM
11/24/11 04:51 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Yes, I am going to meet with some breeders and look into this a little further. My parents need to be on board 100%...

I can see that I have a while before I can get suggies...

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195944
11/24/11 05:11 PM
11/24/11 05:11 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Quote:
I dont have the experience the others do. But if your parents are willing to help out, or the school is willing to work with you, and it looks like they are since you said a tech might be able to house them then I'd say it looks like your doing your home work.

The problem with this is all of the bouncing around, living with new people, moving to another set of new people, etc. It's VERY stressful on gliders. It's not right, it's not fair, it's potentially dangerous. IMO it's a selfish thing to do.

MissB: That's my point though. I had my life mapped out. But it did not work out that way. Trust me, I was in a monogamous relationship. You do not have to have more than one partner to accidentally get pregnant. I used protection, but things happen and it does not always protect. I was just as adamant as you that I was NOT going to be a mom until I was done school and working, living in my own home, etc. I was adamant that things were going to go in a particular order. Even after I had my son I was adamant things would be ok. But they weren't. Without a degree, life can suck sometimes.

I'm not trying to say NEVER get gliders because every aspect of life has it's uncertainties (as a previous poster suggested). I'm merely saying until you have a better grasp on life and are stable, on your OWN two feet, it's simply best to WAIT.

So much happens even at 19, 20, 21. You yourself stated that you wish you were able to enjoy your childhood more than you were. Based on that, that should be all the more reason to admit that it's best to wait. ENJOY being 15; 16; 17.

You know.. it's funny. I have 3 friends that HAD to have gliders. One was 14, another 16 and the last was 17.
The 14 year old got caught up in school, extracurricular activities and all that and rehomed her gliders a few months back.

The 16 year old is now 19 and she's looking to rehome her gliders because work and school is just too much for her.
The last one, who is 20 now, is highly considering rehoming because school is just too much to juggle all of her pets as well.

I've been 15. It really wasn't all too long ago; I'm still a young spring chicken. wink

I remember it all too well and I know that you'll do your darnedest to get what you want, the advice isn't THAT appreciated because it doesn't matter what others say, etc.
So I suppose at this point I'll just wish you, and especially the gliders, lots of luck.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195949
11/24/11 05:15 PM
11/24/11 05:15 PM

K
Kaylee
Unregistered
Kaylee
Unregistered
K

I believe most people today don't have enough faith in younger people and there for dumb down respinsibilities that 50 yrs ago a teen would be expexted to do. I guess this whole thing has just touched a nerve because I do understand both sides. But I'm all fo a teen showing that you can handle things.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195963
11/24/11 06:30 PM
11/24/11 06:30 PM
mansfield,ohio
anw22 Offline
Glider Explorer
anw22  Offline
Glider Explorer

mansfield,ohio
i really do not think age is an issue. i understand she is younger and may not have the finances to pay for everything especially an unexpected amount of money b/c of an accident.

but with that being said, i work at a petstore and i see MANY people well past their "college years" who can't/won't pay for vet care. i hear every excuse in the book. they either can't afford to b/c they have poor finances or they just don't care enough about the animal to spend the money to keep it healthy. i think if her parents are ok with possible loaning her several hundred dollars if the gliders need emergency vet care or she can set a vet fund aside with several hundred dollars specifically for that purpose i don't think her financial situation is a problem

MissB: i think you should also have your dad join the forum. he might have a better understanding of the potential cost and care of the gliders if he reads all the information for himself. and it will be more beneficial if he is to ever care for the gliders.

it is easy to say "of course" to the question "dad, will you help me out with a $500+ vet bill if some tragedy should happen" because it is something in the future that hasn't happened yet. people have a hard time imaging something they have never personally experienced, and when the time comes that something seems off it is sometimes easy for someone (who doesnt know about their needs) to look at a sick glider and say "oh he seems fine, lets just give him a few more days to see if he gets better" and then it may be too late.
which could very well happen if you are not in charge of either the finances or the trasportation to get to the vet.

but to my main concern: you are 15 which means you will probably not be going to college till you're 19 right? so that gives you 4-5 years to really develop a bond and love to your gliders and visa versa.

You understand that eventually you will have to leave them for 9 months, but to you it is ok b/c you know you will see them again and be reunited and share all those special moments from before.

but your gliders do not understand this all they will know is that one day they are happy and loved on and cared for by someone who is very special and dear to them and then one day they wake up and she is gone. they do not know why or what happened to her but she isn't there to love and care for them anymore.

and i understand that you also want your dad to be bonded so it isn't as hard on them in your eyes but, think of it this way

your parents got divorced and i am not trying to upset you with my story so i am sorry if it does but i am trying to make a point. and if this is similar to your experience then you should know how they will feel.

what if one day you woke up and mom(whom you loved very much and alway got you ready for school and helped you feel better when you were sick or had a problem, she talked/played with you every day and you were so close), what if one day your family woke up and she left, she was gone. she didn't leave a reason, she never called to say what happened, she just left in the night. you would be devastated, you wouldn't understand what happened or why it happened. and sure you would probably go about your days as usual after a while but you wouldn't just wake up and not care b/c "hey, my dads still here and he loves me a ton, so i will just go on about my business as usual, better get ready for school"

it is the same for the suggies, yes your dad could bond with them just as much as you but that doesn't mean your absence will be any less heartbreaking for them.

mine don't even like when i leave for a week, i can't imagine how they would feel if i left for 9 months. like i said before i am not trying to make you feel bad in any way i just think you have to look at this from the gliders perspective and think about their needs before your own. i how how it is to just HAVE to have something. Trust me, there have been many somethings in my life that i have wanted so much it almost hurt, but i know right now in my life i just can't provide those animals with the proper care they deserve(mainly space issues, as i live with my parents and i have basically one bedroom to fit all my stuff in). so until i move into a place of my own, there are certain animals i just can't properly accommodate.

could i have purchased them anyway? yes i could have, they technically could have been shoved in some tiny cage and lived, but they would not be healthy or happy, they would not thrive in that care, so no matter how much i want them i have to wait until i can make them happy, and not myself.

my suggestion? if you are up to it, i really think you should look for an older pair of sugar gliders, maybe rescue a pair of gliders that only have a few years left in them but still need love and care from someone who needs them. it may be hard, both financially and emotionally, but you would have your gliders and some gliders in need would have a good home. then you can wait until at least, after that 9 months of dorm stay, until you can move into your own apartment and then get a pair of joeys from a breeder, when you can devote all the time they need.

idk and sorry my post was so long, i just wanted to give you something to think about. Good luck though, no matter what you choose.

Last edited by anw22; 11/24/11 06:38 PM.

:roflmao: Ashley :roflmao:

mom to two suggies: brutus :grey: and beanie :grey: (AKA Beans)brought home August 4, 2010
Re: College Bonding? [Re: ] #1195981
11/24/11 07:31 PM
11/24/11 07:31 PM
Vermont, USA
Taryn Offline
Glider Explorer
Taryn  Offline
Glider Explorer

Vermont, USA
Originally Posted By: Kaylee
Soo... Really every one here is saying wait till after your out of college a good 9 years maybe depending on your degree(you said 5 for college and then just guessing 4 more since you said you wanted to be a vet right?) from now? Am I right?
And Did any one answer the main question you had or has every one just jumped on the bandwagon of "Your a kid your not grown you dont know what you want or what will happen in the future" ? If I was in your shoes this whole thing would have turned me off of sugar gliders at all. Or life really. I guess we'll never be ready for life so why live it? (i apologize i am also mildly up set that we cant be home for Thanksgiving) I just got married, moved 800 miles away from my family, and got a sugar glider. I dont have a job, I dont have kids, and I'm trying to get back in school, and looking for a companion for Tatl who I've only had 3 months now. SO I supposed I cant really say the same things as every one else. I dont have the experience the others do. But if your parents are willing to help out, or the school is willing to work with you, and it looks like they are since you said a tech might be able to house them then I'd say it looks like your doing your home work. If you can afford the emergencies, as well as standard care, I might be missing the main point every one's making as to why you shouldn't get your gliders.
Like I said I could be WAYYYY OFFF on what every one else is trying to say, and I dont mean too offend any one.

I know I'm new to the glider world but must say that in a lot of ways I agree with many of the points made here.
Many teens, and even children, have pets before they go to college. Dogs, cats, fish, probably not usually suggies but maybe a few people. In fact, I would say probably 90% of us on this board have. I had my first dog when I was 9!
With that being said, of course it was a family decision and so they took their responsible part in ownership and giving affection and needs and health care. When I went to college, my parents had the pets at the house still, and ultimately they even kept the pets when I graduated because they had been just as much my parents pets as they were mine, and they were happy that way.

That's why I keep saying that if your dad is on board,and he is obviously the one signing the contacts for them and paying for them, then he is a grown man who knows you best and you should be 100% honest with him like you are with us and just make sure he knows what he is getting into.
If he's cool and will love them and care for them with you, then I say go for it.

Beloved boyfriend: Dan cloud9
Chihuahuas: Halle (6) and Heidi (1)
Am. Staff. Terrier: Chanel (6)
Cichlids: Biggz, Walter, Doodles, Waffle, Monster, Domino
...and 2 baby SUGGIES! heart :wfb: Luxe & Vuitton :grey: (Adopted 12/29/11)
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195994
11/24/11 08:18 PM
11/24/11 08:18 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
frown I give up. There are two very different sides to this argument...

I don't want to hear any more sad stories and I don't want to hear any more criticism. I've beem scared out of my wits with sugar gliders. I dont know if I'm only getting an extreme perspective or what...

Let's all agree to disagree...

I don't know whose advice to take...

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1196035
11/24/11 10:10 PM
11/24/11 10:10 PM
mansfield,ohio
anw22 Offline
Glider Explorer
anw22  Offline
Glider Explorer

mansfield,ohio
i am sorry this is so difficult. i know you dont want to hear "no" but we are just thinking of the gliders. what if you went away and they started self mutilating or stopped eating because they were sad? this seems like an extreme but it could happen, and then there would be nothing you could do b/c you would already b in school and 6 hrs away.

my sugar gliders started acting funny and stopped eating when i moved their cage across the hallway, and it was a very minor change, everything else stayed the same for them. I had to move them back and they snapped right back to normal that very night.

is there any way you could get out of staying in a dorm? you only have to stay the first year right? maybe you could get your doctor to write a note saying you wouldn't do well living in housing like that? or possibly talk to the school and see if there is any way to bypass that? why do they force that anyway? what's the point?

or could you maybe do your first year of schooling at a college closer to you and then transfer the credits to the college of your choice, when you can choose your own housing? the first year is usually just basic courses anyway so it isn't like you would be working on degree specific classes.

the only thing that is telling me no is being gone for so long, other than that i think you would make a great sugar glider mom.

i wish it were easier for us to all say go for it 100% frown

mom to two suggies: brutus :grey: and beanie :grey: (AKA Beans)brought home August 4, 2010
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1196071
11/25/11 12:40 AM
11/25/11 12:40 AM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I understand.

Dorms are expensive... it's just another way that colleges sap the money out of us. I can't get out of living in a dorm. I would do better in a single apartment. I'm a very independent person, and get very stressed when I'm around too many people for too long.

Though I don't think this would be enough to keep me out of a dorm...

My parents demand that I go to the university... I would get some credits closer to home if I could.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1196075
11/25/11 12:55 AM
11/25/11 12:55 AM
mansfield,ohio
anw22 Offline
Glider Explorer
anw22  Offline
Glider Explorer

mansfield,ohio
hmmm

well what i am thinking is you may be able to get out of it if you have your doctor write a note or call the school and explain that it would be too stressful for you to live in housing with so many people, and that for your mental health you would do best in your own personal apartment.

i mean what if they had someone who was physically handicapped and the dorm didn't meet some requirement of theirs. they certainly wouldn't say "live in the dorm or don't go to school here" they would have to make an exception to their "rule"

idk but i think it is worth a shot to see if there is some way around their housing.

does this school offer any online courses that would allow you to still stay home? that could be a possibility if you take online courses.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1196081
11/25/11 01:16 AM
11/25/11 01:16 AM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I'm afraid that I will have to go to the college in order to major in Biology.

I will definetely look into trying to get out of the dorms. I can get a physicians or counselor's note, but it's tough.

I am going to visit some of the professors at the vet school in person this spring. I will discuss my options with them.

Boy... Life is getting serious and complicated... blush

-Bailet
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024