Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veggies #1140052
07/04/11 10:32 PM
07/04/11 10:32 PM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
My 3 suggies will NOT touch their veggies! I don't think any of them have touched a veggie! I have tried chopping the veggies into small pieced, drizzling honey over the veggies, just a separate bowl for the veggies, putting the veggies in the bowl with them BML ice cube and letting it melt over the veggies so they 'taste' better.. but NOTHING! The veggies are still there in the morning untouched! I know they eat the insides and leave the pealing, so I do check to see if the insides are missing, and all the veggies are still untouched. I even tried some foraging cups with some veggies in them and they remain untouched as well. Any suggestions so my suggies aren't lacking nutrients they need?!

Also, I see people post about some sort of green juice or something for suggies.. what's that?!

Last edited by LuuLuu; 07/04/11 10:33 PM.

LuuLuu
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
:grey: - Gizmo, Cocoa, and Ziggy :grey: and Penelope :leu:
gangel - RIP: Kiwi- glide free my baby girl. :rbridge:
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140068
07/04/11 11:38 PM
07/04/11 11:38 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Have you tried a different variety of veggies for your gliders? I know sometimes my crew will get sick of the same stuff, so I switch things up. Have you tried sweet potatoes or butternut squash? My gliders love both of those, so I try to buy one or the other every couple weeks.

Another thing people do is blend their fruits and veggies together. Then it makes a soup and they have to eat it. I've never tried this, but from what people say, it works well. smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140073
07/04/11 11:46 PM
07/04/11 11:46 PM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
I feed the BML diet, so there is a list of limited veggies I can give them which is corn, green beans, peas, and carrots. I have not tried blending them with fruits yet... maybe I will try it though.. it's worth a shot! sounds gross to me though LOL ... Any other suggestions?

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140078
07/05/11 12:07 AM
07/05/11 12:07 AM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
I forgot to ask if you fed BML. I know you can only use certain veggies. tounge

I think your best bet would be to blend everything together. You said you tried putting the veggies in foraging cups, have you tried stringing them on rexlace or making kabobs? I know some gliders go nuts for stuff like that. smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140082
07/05/11 12:12 AM
07/05/11 12:12 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I agree with Megan...try blending the veggies together, either alone or with the fruit, and see what happens.

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140088
07/05/11 12:22 AM
07/05/11 12:22 AM
Miami, FL
Vicky Offline
Glider Guardian
Vicky  Offline
Glider Guardian

Miami, FL
I had that problem in the beginning with my boys. I pureed everything together and they had no choice but to eat it! It worked great! After about 2 weeks I was able to start feeding the fruits and veggies without pureeing it and instead I'm using foraging cups and treasure chests now. They love to work for their food!

Try both options and I'm sure you'll find one that works!

~Vicky~
:grey: Marty & :grey: Dobby
~ GLIDERS GALORE ~
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140101
07/05/11 12:38 AM
07/05/11 12:38 AM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
Ok. I pureed the veggies with some cantaloupe and watermelon.. used apple juice to make it thin enough to even blend.. omg it looks GROSS! lol But I put the slop in an ice tray and already gave them some in a bowl... let's see how it works dunno

What do I put the food on to make the kabobs? I'm sure any kind of toothpick would just be bad.

I've been on the hunt for rexlace because I want to make them some pony bead toys, just not found it yet.

Yeah, the foraging cups didn't work... shakehead Dunno what I'm gonna do with these guys. ... they seem almost like eating is a second thought to them. I just want to say "EAT DURN YOU" tant but I doubt that will work crazy

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140103
07/05/11 12:41 AM
07/05/11 12:41 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: LuuLuu
Ok. I pureed the veggies with some cantaloupe and watermelon.. used apple juice to make it thin enough to even blend.. omg it looks GROSS! lol But I put the slop in an ice tray and already gave them some in a bowl... let's see how it works dunno

What do I put the food on to make the kabobs? I'm sure any kind of toothpick would just be bad.

You can use coffee straws - they work great!

I've been on the hunt for rexlace because I want to make them some pony bead toys, just not found it yet.

Look at AC Moore or Michaels, they'll have it in the kids section!

Yeah, the foraging cups didn't work... shakehead Dunno what I'm gonna do with these guys. ... they seem almost like eating is a second thought to them. I just want to say "EAT DURN YOU" tant but I doubt that will work crazy

Give it time...it doesn't happen overnight and the more we worry about it, the harder they fight it so just relax. smile They'll be fine!

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140129
07/05/11 02:38 AM
07/05/11 02:38 AM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
thumb at what Aimee said.

Did they eat their pureed food? smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

RIP David
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140136
07/05/11 03:18 AM
07/05/11 03:18 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

If what you tried tonight doesn't work, you can try pureeing the veggies and mixing with that night's portion of BML, so it seems to them it's just BML and fruits. You've definitely gotta trick them. They're a lot like children.

Re: veggies [Re: ] #1140145
07/05/11 03:56 AM
07/05/11 03:56 AM
Seattle, Wa
steph323 Offline
Glider Guardian
steph323  Offline
Glider Guardian

Seattle, Wa
Originally Posted By: Megs
If what you tried tonight doesn't work, you can try pureeing the veggies and mixing with that night's portion of BML, so it seems to them it's just BML and fruits. You've definitely gotta trick them. They're a lot like children.

agree they are funny like that. meeka suddenly decided she didnt like eggs today (scrambled or boiled) so she got chicken instead. theres no making them eat what they dont want haha

Proud mommy of

Brie-calm girl :wfb: X Monty-rowdy boy :wfb:

Sierra-oddball mosaic girl :grey:

Colby-friendly boy :rtmo:

Fontina-sweetheart girl :rtmo:

R.I.P. Aree, Cheddar, Swiss, Meeka :rbridge:

Vets always know best
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140197
07/05/11 08:54 AM
07/05/11 08:54 AM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
no, they didn't touch the pureed veggies. I added apple juice and cantaloupe and watermelon to try to give it a more appealing flavor, too. I will try to put the BML cube and veggie cube in one bowl tonight so they are forced to eat it all! ..... I really hope I don't have to post AGAIN after tonight trying that! I'd hate to wake up tomorrow to find that they didn't even eat their BML because it had veggies mixed in.

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140201
07/05/11 09:02 AM
07/05/11 09:02 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

There are many tricks I used when I fed BML. Thawing the BML and mixing it with the pureed veggies (actually stirring it together into one mush) helped for quite a while!

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140710
07/06/11 06:43 AM
07/06/11 06:43 AM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
ok, I put the veggie cube and BML cube in the bowl, mixed it up and it was hardly touched!... I guess my gliders would rather go hungry than eat their veggies.... now what?!

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140719
07/06/11 08:25 AM
07/06/11 08:25 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
I've tried EVERYTHING with mine also and I have the same problem. frown

How old are yours? I'm fairly new but I've heard that, in other peoples experiences, the younger they are, the less veggies they eat. I'm keeping that in mind since mine are only 3 and 7 months oop..... Hopefully they start eating them soon though....

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140730
07/06/11 08:43 AM
07/06/11 08:43 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

It's very true...sometimes, with younger gliders, their taste buds aren't quite as refined as older gliders. But, some are just plain picky, as well.

I would continue to do different things for a little while longer since you haven't had them on it very long, but if they continue to not eat a thing, you may want to look at changing up their diet. While BML is a good diet, it has a very limited variety of fruits and veggies that can be fed, not giving them much of a choice if they DON'T like something. Other diets will allow you to feed a much larger variety of things.

I know that my monkeys do NOT like anything that comes from frozen. It's possible this is what's going on with yours. Or, they simply don't like the variety that you're able to feed. dunno

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140749
07/06/11 09:25 AM
07/06/11 09:25 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
If you have not already done so, try putting the veggies in the cage first and nothing else. That way your gliders may eat them when they first wake up hungry. Then put the BML and fruit in the cage a couple hours later. They may just fill up on the BML and simply not be hungry for the veggies.

They may just need to eat the veggies to find out they actually do like them.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140767
07/06/11 10:10 AM
07/06/11 10:10 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
Candy - that's a great idea! You would've thought we all could think to do that. Instead we're mixing and chopping and going nuts every night trying to figure out a combination that they like.... :fall:

Alyssa

Re: veggies [Re: CandyOtte] #1140815
07/06/11 12:34 PM
07/06/11 12:34 PM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: OtteMom
If you have not already done so, try putting the veggies in the cage first and nothing else. That way your gliders may eat them when they first wake up hungry. Then put the BML and fruit in the cage a couple hours later. They may just fill up on the BML and simply not be hungry for the veggies.

They may just need to eat the veggies to find out they actually do like them.

So, I have tried a bunch of different things, and it's all running together in my brain, but I "think" that was actually the first thing I tried. FOr some reason, my suggies don't wake up hungry.

I have only had them on the BML for.. um... a week now, maybe less. They were on pellet food before mad but I found out that that's not the best for them. I DO have the wambaroo and bee pollen -- enough for making 2 batches. But I know with that HPW diet you are open to SO MANY MORE fruits and veggies and with all those fruits and veggies having different ratios of phosphorous and calcium, I just don't want to screw it up.

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1140957
07/06/11 03:39 PM
07/06/11 03:39 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
You've got some hard headed little fuzz butts on your hands, don't you? If they continue to not eat their veggies, you may want to consider switching to HPW so that you can offer more variety.

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

RIP David
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1141409
07/07/11 09:31 AM
07/07/11 09:31 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
LuuLuu - I just switched mine from BML to HPW so that I could offer more variety (they were only on BML for about a month). And they still don't eat any veggies frown
Although, last night I put beet greens in there for the first time and they tore them up. I'm not quite sure that they actually ate any of it though, it's kinda hard to tell....lol But I'm determined to find some veggies in some form that they like eventually. But now I have many more options.

Don't get discouraged, just keep trying, and try to have fun with it L)

Alyssa

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1141494
07/07/11 02:51 PM
07/07/11 02:51 PM
West Virginia
LuuLuu Offline OP
Glider Explorer
LuuLuu  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

West Virginia
how does the ratio work on other diets besides BML. I mean, BML is kinda dummy proof, you have a few fruits and veggies to give them and that's it. I don't want to screw up their systems by getting the calcium:phosphorus proportions and ratio all off kilter. Can someone explain it to me? I do have the HPW bee pollen and wambaroo-- enough for 2 batches, I'm just a little uneasy about the rest of the diet.

LuuLuu
― Anatole France
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1141545
07/07/11 04:35 PM
07/07/11 04:35 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
In general the goal is to provide a diet with more calcium than phosphorus. The Ratio is the total amount of calcium (in mg) divided by the total amount of phosphorus (in mg). We say the goal is a 2:1 ratio because that is the ratio of calcium to phosphorus the body (gliders and people) maintains in the blood stream.

When the diet, over time, contains more phosphorus than calcium the body pulls the calcium it needs from the bones to maintain the 2:1 balance. The goal is to prevent our gliders from loosing calcium in the bones.

Even though the goal is a 2:1 ratio, as long as the diet provides between a 1.5:1 and 2:1 ratio gliders will do well.

I have a calculator on my web page which allows you to enter glider size portions of fruits and vegetables (in TBS or fractions of a TBS) and have the ratio of the selected combination calculated for you.

http://www.gliderkids.com/references.html

You may enter the ingredient amounts for the diet you use (BML or original HPW) on the ingredients page of the calculator (1 cup = 16 TBS) and the calculator will show the totals on the first work sheet. Select the amount you are feeding and the calculator will combine the diet with the selected fruits and vegetables.

NOTE: be sure to include the amount of water, if any, in the recipe you use to get the correct volume for the calculations.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1141891
07/08/11 10:26 AM
07/08/11 10:26 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
So last night I mixed three different bowls of food. Each with the HPW and each had a different mix of veggies in it. None were touched, except for the one with the carrots and peas which they managed to eat around to get to the HPW.....gonna try something different again tonight... shakehead

Alyssa

Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1141976
07/08/11 12:46 PM
07/08/11 12:46 PM
VA, USA
mithryanna Offline
Joey Member
mithryanna  Offline
Joey Member

VA, USA
I would like to point those with concerns about calcium and feeding the right mix of fruits and veggies to this post made by the creator of the HPW Original, Plus, and Complete diets.

I would also like to add something that Peggy pointed out to me when I approached her about concerns with ca:p ratios and feeding the right balance. Calcium and phosphorus are not the only nutrients they get from fruits and veggies. The point is to worry less about getting everything perfect and feed VARIETY to make sure they are getting what they need. As long as you are feeding everything in moderation and variation, there's not really a cause for concern or worry.

Peggy can be contacted directy via e-mail at critterlove@critterlove.com.

ETA: "Peggy" being the creator of these diets. Sorry if that was unclear.

Last edited by DCMuffin; 07/08/11 01:32 PM. Reason: Edited text

~Lauren~

Mommy of Jaba :wfb: , Zazu :wfb: , and Sundance! :rtmo:

Feel free to PM or e-mail me at lforney.umw@gmail.com if you need help with html, php, or other web-related woes!
Re: veggies [Re: LuuLuu] #1143252
07/10/11 11:29 PM
07/10/11 11:29 PM
Maryland
shannyn Offline
Glider Explorer
shannyn  Offline
Glider Explorer

Maryland
my guys don't their veggies all the time, i purree them sometimes with some pear to sweeten it and they love it

shannyn (nyn)

adorable furry luvs: nermal(nermalina) :grey: pooky :grey:

kitties: patches and pumpkin

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024