Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1094439
04/02/11 03:17 PM
04/02/11 03:17 PM
Casper, Wyoming
sphynxie Offline
Glider Guardian
sphynxie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Casper, Wyoming
Thanks, just trying to understand. It is just one of those things that we don't know much about, and not only does each species of animal react differently, but even indivudual animals within the same species. There are working on a project at my school right with parasites. There life cycle is so fast that they are getting them to evolve very quickly. For example the ones they are working with only breed at a certain temp, so they put two colonies at different temps and each colony evolved to be able to reproduce at the lower or higher temp. and are now genetically different from the begining parasites, weird huh? So it just goes to show that things like this are constantly changing, just like these other parasites evolved over a few MONTHS.

Melonie

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :plat: :cream:

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1094452
04/02/11 03:37 PM
04/02/11 03:37 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

So here is my summery. Giardia is everywhere, it is only when conditions get poor enough for it to breed and contaminate feces that it becomes a problem and extremely contagious.

So I bring home a contaminated joey that shows no signs and make the poor judgment of the early introduction, and introduce her to my other joey that has been in a super sanitary bubble ... bam it gets sick and very quickly... and naturally his cagemate does too. (Which I am in a weird way grateful for because it exposed the parasite.)

The reason it is not spreading is because no one else has had access to her poo, and is still safe in their bubble.

Still up in the air about the bleach... the 4/1 bleach + steamer combo seems to be working. That combined with the 10 days flagyl 3 days panacur will hopefully cure these little guys completely in one to three rounds.

I will still have to re-check in a year to be sure, not intro anyone else or breed until their one year check up is clear.

Am I missing anything?

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1094602
04/03/11 02:43 AM
04/03/11 02:43 AM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
Hi, I'm new here, so please excuse me for jumping right in. I'm a microbiologist by training (but a stay at home suggy-mommy) and I'll try to add a little bit of information about disinfecting items contaminated with Giardia lamblia.

First, let me say that I know you are working really hard and are doing everything right for your babies, SuggieMomma. The following is for general information, and perhaps to give you some options to make things a little easier.

The reason this is such a pest is because it is not a simple bacteria. It is a complex parasite that has the ability to encyst in the environment and persist in its ability to cause infection. It is the cysts that are so hard to kill.

Normal chemical treatments don't always work to kill this parasite, and even water treatment plants don't rely only on that. But the chemicals can be a part of an overall strategy for decontaminating/disinfecting with this organism. The organisms in a non-encysted state are killed by the disinfecting agents. Only the cysts are resistant.

A combination of bleach solution with iodine can be sprayed on all cage surfaces after the cages are thoroughly scrubbed down with detergent and rinsed. (Your vet can tell you the amount of bleach and iodine to add to the solution. Or just get a vet recommended commercial disinfection solution.) Don't just spray this on a dirty cage! Manual cleaning with a detergent is always necessary before disinfecting!

If you have long sunny days, UV rays are particularly damaging to Giardia cysts. I would thoroughly clean, then spray on the bleach/iodine (or vet) solution and then allow to sit in direct sunlight for at least one full day. Following this routine for a second day would be even better. This should be sufficient to kill any remaining cysts on the cage surfaces -- if there is enough direct sunlight.

I would not reintroduce the glider/s back into their cage/s until their medical treatment is complete, instead using a hospital cage (something easier to clean) for their housing.

Washing their bedding in hot water with detergent should sufficient to wash away the cysts. You can hang them to dry in the sun inside out and is perfectly fine for added security. You can clean the toys with detergent and hot water, or put them in a sock bag and run them through the dishwasher or clothes washer to wash away most of the cysts. Then spray them down with the disinfection solution and allow them to dry in the sun. Leave the toys in the sun, turning them several times to ensure all sides get UV exposure. You may need to leave them in the sun for multiple days to ensure all sides get enough exposure. Be aware that the UV may fade some plastics and fabrics, but it will also kill the cysts.

You can also construct a UV box with commercial UV bulbs, similar to those used to kill algae in Koi ponds. You will need to construct the UV light box so that none of the light can escape while it is on because looking at UV light can blind you and exposure to the UV can give you burns. These are the bulbs you will need, and you can contact them regarding constructing a light box: http://www.ultraviolet.com/lamp/sterlray.htm. Even 10 minutes of exposure is enough to kill 99.7% of any cysts exposed to this kind of UV. Just be sure to turn the items over and re-expose so that all sides are irradiated with the UV. And make sure you turn the light OFF before you open the box. If I were to construct one of these I'd put a window in the lid with some clear material that blocks UV rays so that I would always know when it was on. I'd also add a lock to the lid because I have two children still at home.

Steam cleaning the area around the cage is an appropriate step to take, as is prevention of recontamination during the treatment period.

Be sure to wear gloves and thoroughly wash your hands after handling the animals and their infected sleeping pouches, cages, etc., and don't forget to wash your own clothes in hot water with detergent.

Sorry this was so long! I hope it was helpful.

I think you are doing really good work with your babies and I just want to say hang in there. Your effort will pay off.

Diane

Edit: I just want to add this: Giardia is not part of a Glider's normal gut flora. It is a parasite! And though it can be there for a time without causing symptoms, it is never healthy and never normal for any creature to be hosting it. It is found in a small portion of wild sugar gliders, somewhere around 10%. But remember that Sugar Gliders in the wild do not have the extended life spans they have in well managed domestic settings. Giardia infection is always a disease, even when its course is mild.

And here is the unsettling thought of the day: Parasites are at the top of the food chain!

Last edited by DianeR; 04/03/11 04:35 AM.
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? #1099880
04/14/11 02:19 PM
04/14/11 02:19 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Thank you sooo much everyone for your help and support!

All the gliders are testing negative and the toys and wheels are back in and in use! They were so happy they woke up mid-day to play and clicked away... the wheels were clearly missed!! Last night was my last micro cleaning session.

Things are getting back to normal. I bought bigger cages even.. from the two door Brisbane style to the giant two door ones from ebay. So, Id hate to go through that again and have to micro clean these ones!! (Lets see if I can get through assembly!)

I was sad to have to toss things but it was worth it, as nothing was spread to my other gliders or pets. But now I am so happy I did.

It is such a relief that I do not have to clean like that today!

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1099890
04/14/11 02:52 PM
04/14/11 02:52 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

DianeR - I am so sorry... I have been so busy I did not get a chance to read your post until today! It was very informative though I am keeping notes in case of a relapse or someone I know needs help... it sure wasn't fun!

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and helping me better understand Giardia! Hopefully it is over, but I am much better prepared now!

Parasites are at the top of the food chain! - Ewe, pretty soon flagyl will probably be desert to them!

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1099900
04/14/11 03:27 PM
04/14/11 03:27 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
S
sunjana1 Offline
Glider Guardian
sunjana1  Offline
Glider Guardian
S

Nova Scotia, Canada
Your dedication to your suggies and getting Giardia free makes you not only a veterinarian's dream client but also one of the best pet owners ever. Props!

Jana
:wfb: - Tim
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1100025
04/14/11 08:19 PM
04/14/11 08:19 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Great news that they're testing negative! You've done alot of hard work and kudos to you for being aggressive with it! Your babies can only benefit from that smile

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1100200
04/15/11 12:52 AM
04/15/11 12:52 AM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
You have worked so hard and it's paid off so well. I'm so happy for you! You are an inspiration to all of us! hug2

Diane

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024